Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Normally not a big fan of Morrison but this looks really fun so I'll definitely check it out

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR READING THIS THREAD)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Was skeptical Multiversity would ever exist. Let's see if I'm proven right in two days when completely blank books with gorgeous covers are shipped nationwide.

Page 1: Do NOT read this book! Quick, we have to do something to stop this book from being printed! Oh, there's where the books are being printed, smash the printer!

Page 2: Blank page, one narration box: Ah ha, we saved the day!

Page 3-End: White space.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Flameingblack posted:

Yeah, it's certainly a Morrison comic alright.

I don't know about that because I actually enjoyed it :v:

...but no this was actually really good and I was able to get the gist even if I didn't get all the little details. I liked that although most of the not-Avengers were all different-yet-recognizable, their Black Widow was basically just Natasha wearing brown.

Guess you can only come up with so many crazy variations on Avengers!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

drrockso20 posted:

ah Zalgo, probably one of the better early Creepypasta sort of things, also have some content people;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4Xgm_bs_hI

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Since you said you didn't know what why Superboy was hacking up dust, I guess I'll just say that it brought to mind that just recently the evil Superman in the current Earth 2 series was revealed to be their Bizarro and he dissolved into dust. Of course, this probably doesn't mean anything in the context of Multiversity, since Morrison's all about callbacks to older stuff (plus I don't know how far back he writes these vs. when the art is done), so I doubt he'd be referencing something that happened just a couple of months ago.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Frankly, even if we don't see them, I'm just so happy that there are not one but two DCAU worlds (both main and Justice Lord varieties!) in the mix.

Space Fish posted:

Latest issue got my hopes up that Multiversity and Convergence will somehow make good on the whole "every comic happened" premise and integrate other DC continuities, if not into the main post-Convergence series, then into continuing Elseworlds books.

I think it basically already did, by doing their little history of the multiverse recap by detailing how Barry Allen was there at the beginning of multiverse crossovers all the way through Flashpoint THANKS BARRY.

Also I'm still really surprised by how comparably easy this is to follow/how much I'm enjoying it compared to other Morrison works.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Neurosis posted:

I only drift in and out of reading the main DC/Marvel continuities (Hickman is a huge draw), but how many of the 52 universes shown (sans the 7) were pre-existent? Because I feel like very many of them were just boring heroic iterations. I know Morrison likes optimistic superheroes, so he doesn't have a reason to imagine 'gritty' universes, but I like those settings and it forecloses any kind of Wildstorm type spinoffs.

You don't think Earth 42 is grim? I mean, on the surface it's a happy, Mini-Marvels-esque world where tiny heroes have fun inconsequential adventures, but then they're all actually robotic Manchurian candidates working for the villains.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Multiversity was brought to you by the letter G for Gentry and the number 52 for being a little on the nose.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Finally, a mainstream comic that gets me.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Toph Bei Fong posted:

The issue with the deconstruction that Morrison does is that he's already done it, multiple times, and, well, what's he trying to say exactly?

It's funny you say that because Morrison admits as much in his Paste Magazine interview that was posted earlier in the thread

quote:

Paste: Multiversity is just so big and massive in scope, panning out to dissect how the realities between comic fiction and the world intersect. It’s also a theme playing out in Annihilator, albeit as a reflection on the film industry. This project feels so definitive and absolute; are there more meta comic events that you could write past this? Am I being unimaginative by asking where do you go from here?

Morrison: I realize it’s my master theme. A lot of times I’ll be working on a thing, and I’ll be thinking here’s another story where a person wakes up to the true nature of reality and I’ll think, ‘Grant, come on—why do you keep doing this?’
(emphasis mine)

I did like the issue, but I get your point where it's hard to like a book that condemns you for reading it. Yeah, yeah, metafiction, but still, if I'm not supposed to criticize and I'm not supposed to be blind to the problems in mainstream comics then how am I supposed to join Ultra Comics and defeat the Gentry, Morrison? HUH?

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Mar 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lord Krangdar posted:

This Ultra story was like a much less scatalogical and random Filler Bunny issue, complete with the dreaming-tank.

People here seem convinced that the members of the Gentry represent various aspects of comics that Morrison wants the medium to finally move beyond, but I don't think that's quite it. They're cast as comic book villains, and the defining feature of comic book villains is that they're fought off over and over but never fully defeated. Just like Batman will always fight the Joker but never finally defeat him, superhero comics will always struggle with these issues (extreme darkness vs. naive innocence, intellectualization vs. visceral enjoyment, nostalgic stagnation vs. alienating experimentation) without fully resolving them. That's why you get to the end of the reversed Watchmen-analogue and arrive right back at the same moment that set all of it in motion in the first place. The only way out of that is to stop reading.

But that's okay, because struggle is necessary for life- see the very first page of the first issue. It ties back to Seaguy, where he can never be happy in a world without conflict. The Just kinda tackled the same idea, but IMO less effectively.

There's truth to what you're saying here, but that scene where Ultra Comics fights a corrupted Superman who keeps parroting "THIS ENDS NOW" pretty much gives up on subtext and says "Hey don't a lot of people write the same old poo poo with Superman?"

• Locked thread