Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Shameless posted:

Morrison's not really being very subtle with the Gentry. It seems pretty obvious that they represent comic book execs / editorial, destroying worlds at a whim. Talking about the Thunderer when they say "we'll strip him of his dignity" etc. harks back to one of the major theme of SevenSoldiers, namely, how creators treat their creations (or in this case, other peoples creations)

I think the choice of Earth 7 here is significant: its only previous appearance is in Countdown: Arena, meaning in reality it was created only so its heroes could pointlessly fight and die. This seems important because it means Morrison himself didn't create the Thunderer, so is exploring the consequences of someone *else's* fictional violence.

I've only read like the first ten pages of this and it took me half an hour, but I really like it so far. I like that our world is just one among 52 here, as important and unimportant as the ones that are thrown away. I like the use of metafiction to celebrate the broadness of the world rather than assert the superiority of our tiny, familiar part. It's a really interesting way to develop those ideas, and there's a solidity to them I feel is perhaps missing from Morrison's more odd for odd's sake work. But then I thought Action Comics #18 was one of the best comics ever, so I'm probably more predisposed to this sort of thing than most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I absolutely love that DC Comics editorial is stuck publishing a comic about how DC Comics editorial is a horrifying corruptive influence who revels in the eternal agony of constant heroic ruin. I am completely down with this poo poo.

I think Morrison's recent work is more interesting if it's read about the dangers of being corrupted by the narratives of popular fiction in general, even if that's not the intent. Certainly the ends of Batman Incorporated and Action Comics both seemed to be criticisms of myths as commodities to an extent; the fame of Batman's story means he can't ever truly end his journey, but just repeat it in endless iterations; Superman exists as a truly powerful idea, but can only exist within the limits of stories his owners feel reasonably able to tell. The only hope for both is to enter the public domain, but that's because they're warped by the need for their stories to be sold rather than anything particular to DC.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

I'm quite surprised that constitutes Fair Use; it reprints over a quarter of the comic!

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

I don't understand this issue. :(

Read it backwards after reading it forwards.

e: Ah, and I just realised the figure 8 is a mobius strip.

vegetables fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Nov 19, 2014

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

I think I understand the whole plot now, except who the Sergeant with the metal gloves is who kills Nora and the scientists. Is the answer to that actually in the comic?

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

ElNarez posted:

I think it's the guy Question lectures about colors? He's a hitman working for Eden. Would fit.

I'm not sure; he mentions a "Sarge" as he dies who his orders come from, and the scientists refer to the man who kills them as "Sergeant". And that Sergeant's jaw looks nothing like the hitman's jaw.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Good heavens; that's obscure. I'm glad I asked the thread.

So the plot as I understand it is that, to prevent the cyclical nature of history from ending the Pax Americana and causing another war, the President engineers things so that the passage of time itself becomes cyclical, looping back and forth forever between the events at the end of the comic and the events at the start. Is that right? I have a feeling it's completely wrong.

vegetables fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Nov 20, 2014

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Inkslinger posted:

I can't shake the feeling that the panel where Peacemaker shoots the reader with his finger gun is the most important panel in the issue, with regard to the larger metaplot. But I need to reread the book a few times to see if I can figure out what Peacemaker might be accomplishing by shooting us...

My guess is that by shooting the President, the Peacemaker ends the age of superheroes, and thus ends any interest the reader would have in Earth-4. The President thus contains nearly the entire span of his world's heroic age within the bounds of his life in a loop that never resolves, where none of us have any interest in what lies after the resolution.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

I quite want to see what Power Man of Earth 11 looks like, because if any character needs a satirical male version it's Power Girl. Wondrous Man is disappointingly clothed, though; I'd prefer it if Earth 11 had all its male characters in ridiculous cheesecake costumes while all its female ones got to be fully covered.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

For the list above, I'm pretty sure Earth 36 previously appeared in the same issue of Action Comics that President Superman and Superdoom do, and that Earth 39 is a pastiche of the T.H.U.N.D.E.R Agents.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

At the risk of offending the thread, I thought Ultra Comics wasn't really very good. I kind of think if you're going to have a comic based around having ideas that will contaminate the mind and the world, it would be a good plan to put some ideas like that into it. "Engaging with a text is odd if you think about it" wasn't really good enough for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

The big, fun panel with all the heroes from the different worlds meeting was kind of what I hoped Convergence would be like, but alas.

• Locked thread