Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tenniseveryone
Feb 8, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER

bobkatt013 posted:

So it will time magazines person of the year from a couple of years ago?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tenniseveryone
Feb 8, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER
It's interesting seeing all the ways Morrison updates the political and cultural references from Watchmen. Instead of nukes and Nixon it's Bush and, later, the machine Captain Atom's floating in (besides being another grid of comic panels from a certain angle) looks suspiciously like the Large Hadron Collider. Once the Cold War was over and The Peacemaker's mission is accomplished - ie eliminating terrorism - the destruction of America comes from the inside. It comes from killing the dog. Getting too curious for our own good. Remember when people though that CERN were going to create a black hole and undo all of reality for a hot minute there? A black hole like the one Sarge Steel crawls out of once Atom's gone? Like how comics are their own worst enemy, destroying themselves. Or, er, comics will eat itself.

Boy it is difficult to have coherent thoughts about this comic book.

Is talking about The Gentry in real terms actually any use, considering they're almost entirely symbolic of, like, editors/readers/the changing comics culture? I don't think they'll turn up again properly. Maybe at the very end.

(I guess everything in The Multiversity is symbolic of something, though. I'll hush up now)

tenniseveryone
Feb 8, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Red skies and Darkseid. Between that and the event recap page in the Guidebook, it's probably about time to read Final Crisis, huh? Plus that psychopathic Dr Silva salivating over doing something bad to Mary Marvel...

tenniseveryone
Feb 8, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Jose Oquendo posted:

Multiversity is a direct sequel to Final Crisis. I have no idea why you wouldn't read that beforehand. The stuff about the birth of the Multiverse is pulled right from it.

Oh, I meant re-read, but I think The Multiversity is still (relatively) accessible when you're not familiar with Final Crisis! I like that the connections are becoming more and more apparent, though.

Going through the previous issues with the Guidebook is fun. That first big panel of the assembled heroes in The Multiversity #1 has those that introduced themselves along with Metal Hawkman of Earth-44 (whose Doctor Will Tornado looks familiar...), there's the first appearance of the Steel and Wonder Woman from Lil' Gotham's Earth 42 that then appear in the Guidebook, what I assume is Earth 13's Swamp-Man, a couple from Earth 48 off to the side (who were "designed...to fight in the eternal war against Lord Darkseid), and Bloodwynd from The Just's Earth 16.

Does that mean the events of The Just take place before The Multiversity #1, and that Bloodwynd's been dropped in to sort things...?

Realised that the robot Calvin Superman destroys and then beckons to return to the multiverse in issue one has look-a-likes that appear throughout the other issues and all. Are they Silva bots?

Elsewhere on BSS people have been talking about how the New Gods and Apokolips exist outside the multiverse (as heaven and hell do). Does that mean that the Darkseid that's coming is coming after the whole multiverse? Just one Darkseid teaming with the Gentry to take out all of reality?

tenniseveryone
Feb 8, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Yeah besides more Sivana and Gentry there wasn't a whole lot going on in Mastermen. I did like how it showed the "corruption" of a Nazi-controlled Earth (ie Sivana helping the good guys).

Also I just noticed in this issue that cases full of trophies are a recurring theme: Overman is sat looking at a bunch of things in class balls in this issue, there were all the cabinets being strolled past in the opening pages of Pax Americana and the old super suits on display in The Just. Which either means something about preserving things as they are, or it's just a superhero trope that the artists keep using to fill in background detail.

Reference to the Ring cycle was cute, in context of Pax Americana and history repeating itself and stuff.

tenniseveryone
Feb 8, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER
The opening with Ultra "returning" to the start and being kept in an endless loop ties back into Pax Americana, too. And on a wider level, it's about how superhero comics are safe as they keep doing the same thing over and over, right? It's interesting that there's a knowing wink at the idea of "let's go back to when comics were innocent and fun!" in this issue, since people assumed that was the point of Thunderworld and Morrison has since refuted that idea in interviews, saying there's a lot of darkness in that story. Seems like there's two warring theses in Multiversity: one about how the corruptive influence of The Gentry changes things for the worse, whilst also suggesting that change is natural and necessary else you end up with the same safe, but bland superhero books? Or something?

tenniseveryone
Feb 8, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Evil Mastermind posted:

You don't happen to have a link, do you? I'd like to read that.

Well, the Gentry's whole thing is corruption. Intellectron says as much this issue (while targeting kids): "WHERE ONCE WERE PALACES AND SPACESHIPS ONLY CHARNEL HOUSES AND BROTHELS REMAINED." I think that may be the Gentry's goal; to replace the "youthful" fantasies we have with the so-called-mature stuff people keep putting out nowadays.

Oh absolutely, but by the same token, it's not offering anything up as an alternative? Like, the comic is just as snarky about the idea of keeping the youthful fantasies as they are. The Morrison quote is from his interview with Comics Alliance from the start of the year:

quote:

I hope the presence of The Gentry will be more clear. For instance, in the Captain Marvel comic we have dozens and dozens of Sivanas, so they can represent Demogorgunn, as they always appear as some kind of horde. Or Demogorgunn could be the zombies in issue #2 or the Superman robots in issue #3. Because they’re demons, they come in different forms in each world, so I do hope when it’s finished, yeah, you should be able to look back and find a lot of new stuff and hopefully, that’s way it’s been built.

Even to notice that certain things, like the Thunderworld comic that seems quite sweet and light isn’t, actually. [laughs] There’s a lot going on, a lot of weird things going on under the surface of how the characters are presented and portrayed. I think it’ll make it slightly more interesting to go back when we’ve seen everything.

tenniseveryone
Feb 8, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER

TwoPair posted:

It's funny you say that because Morrison admits as much in his Paste Magazine interview that was posted earlier in the thread

(emphasis mine)

I did like the issue, but I get your point where it's hard to like a book that condemns you for reading it. Yeah, yeah, metafiction, but still, if I'm not supposed to criticize and I'm not supposed to be blind to the problems in mainstream comics then how am I supposed to join Ultra Comics and defeat the Gentry, Morrison? HUH?

I just read Dan Clowes' Ice Haven and couldn't really figure out my reaction to it, partially because there's a running "gag" about a comics critic who puts too much importance on analysing and deconstructing stuff that's not meant to be picked apart like that. Which is weird because The Multiversity is doing that constantly (DON'T PULL THE DOG APART TO SEE HOW IT WORKS OR IT WILL DIE) but I never feel like its stunting my reaction to it?

What I'm getting is that the main thesis of The Multiversity isn't that any of the different "styles" of comic it features - from the fun punchy-punchy of Thunderworld to the dark Watchmen-riffing Pax Americana - are necessarily bad, but what is bad (ie The Gentry) is when you settle on one of those as the default, which stagnates the genre? So, the grim n gritty superhero kinda sucks because there's a paucity of imagination in just doing the same thing over and over again - equally, sticking Pax Americana or Ultra Comics in a loop makes either stunted and dull.

Ultra has his "morals" set to include the Golden Age through to the Modern Era, and that's all treated as legit, because they're all happening at once and not settling for one violent status quo, which is what the villainous Ultraa is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tenniseveryone
Feb 8, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER
The "HUGE REVEAL" about who was controlling The Gentry was a little disappointing at first, but I think it might be comparable to the end of True Detective: it's not as radical as I was hoping, but the book never suggested it would do anything than end in a fairly obvious, simple way. Good always wins, even if the readers are the ultimate evil...sort of.

Probably gonna have to re-read it twice with the Guidebook to get all the Earths square in my head now...

• Locked thread