Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Psychlone
Sep 3, 2004

It's never straight up and down!

irlZaphod posted:

Also what the gently caress did i just read

I came here to post exactly this.

Now I gotta dig out Final Crisis again. There's a lot of stuff I never noticed in there, I think. It blows my mind how deep and long in advance Morrison has been planning this. I almost feel like going back and reading The Invisibles again too...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychlone
Sep 3, 2004

Anyone get who the Cold Soldiers were? The first red armor looks a bit like the original Atomic Knights, and the last jester's hat was the Quality Comics hero The Jester.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jester_%28Quality_Comics%29

Psychlone
Sep 3, 2004

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I know I should be rereading Thunderworld and looking for clues and symbolism and such (good catch there, Evil Mastermind!), but I can't. I'm too smiley. It was wonderful and I loved it and I'm half afraid that thinking about it too much will ruin the magic of it.

I found a couple. The council of Sivana's looking in on the action can be seen as us, the readers, looking in on Captain Marvel's world. All of them want Captain Marvel dead, much like the grimdark 90s style reader that saw characters like Captain Marvel as hokey and outdated, and wanted to see them gone. It's fitting them that Cap defeats them in a sunny and truly heroic way.

Check the panel with Sivana ranting about his new day and naming the days. His word balloon is obscured by the bars of the cage Shazam is in. It looks like the bars of the cage are like the gutters in between panels of a comic book, making Shazam the analogue for the reader here. His talk about science taking over the magic of the Rock of Eternity and draining his power is an analogy of business (the cubicles taking up the space in the Rock) taking over the "magic" of story telling. Echo that back on the previous bit and you get hacky editors taking away the joy of comic books by replacing characters like Cap with characters like grimdark Image stuff.

I wonder what the letters in SIVANA stand for. Cap said that Sivana should have the wisdom of Solomon, so does the S stand for Solomon? Or are they replaced with something else?

Psychlone
Sep 3, 2004

Teenage Fansub posted:

I thought the map was telling us that the New Gods sat above the Orrery, but here the Kirby world had their own set?

e: The N52 New Gods zipping between Earth 2 and the main one supported the first notion, so I wonder what's up.
ee: Not that I'm against Kirby's NG's chilling in Kirby Land.

I got the sense that the worlds outside the Orrery are where the true version of the Gods exist. The way the New Gods were talking in the Kamandi universe, it seems like they were "projections" of the larger God idea outside the Orrery, like Hindu avatars.

Psychlone
Sep 3, 2004

About the character of Ultraa:

First, he was the only superhero of Earth Prime for a very long time, until Superboy Prime came around during the first Crisis. Given that Earth Prime is "our Earth", It makes sense that Ultraa is our manifestation of what super heroics is, and he protects our world. If he is, then what is Ultra Comics?

Second, in the 90s, Ultraa is the consort to Maxima, as mentioned in this issue. He was left behind on Almerac by Maxima to pursue Superman as her new consort. She also eventually took his place in the Justice League after Superman died to honor his memory. Is Ultraa, a "gilted lover" or sorts? A character forgotten by everyone, either moving on to "court" 90s Superman? Or to be replaced by a crappy also-ran super heroine Maxima?

So many questions...

• Locked thread