Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

redbackground posted:

He's okay, but not who I want to see on a project like this. The ugly, gradient-happy DC house coloring isn't helping set it apart, either. At least I know it'll get a whole lot better.

It may be entirely coincidental that some kind of multiversal apocalypse is being set up in DC's house style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Teenage Fansub posted:

Chris Burnham's #1 variant

Holy poo poo, I want one of these for every universe.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Waterhaul posted:

If someone said they understood everything perfectly the first time I'm calling bullshit because it's easy Morrison's most :psyduck: and dense work in a long time, if ever.

This is about as much as I understood the first time:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Why is everyone taking Captain Atom's death at face value? The chamber they use on him strongly resembles the portal devices in all the previous issues, the scientists call the procedure porti belli which translates from Latin to "gateway", and they even say he's "left the universe".

E: by which I mean, the connection of this issue to the rest of Multiversity seemed pretty obvious to me -- whatever other thematic or metaphorical value that sequence of events had, it was also Atom being transported to the Monitor's satellite.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Nov 27, 2014

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

bairfanx posted:

I really loved the murderous Sivana that had no qualms about killing Billy before he could even talk and how Thunderworld's Sivana was actually a bit disgusted that this was an alternate version of himself. It feels like an excellent comparison between what DC's doing with some of their characters (like, say, having someone cut off the Joker's face) and what they could be doing.

I loved when psycho maniac Sivana started ranting at the end about hunting down the girl and then his monitor immediately blips out, like "that's enough of that, back to your regularly scheduled four-color square-jawed adventures!" There's 51 other universes that (potentially) have to deal with that bullshit, but this one's had enough.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Yvonmukluk posted:

Darkseid Is...a master of just chilling out on your couch.

And the Basic Instinct skirt flash.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Evil Mastermind posted:

I think that all the different multiversal versions of the New Gods are aware of each other, and are possibly impacts of a single "meta" version of the New Gods across different worlds.

It's like the angels in Action Comics; how Superman described them as the points of the 3-D fork impacting the 2-D surface.

That sounds pretty similar to what the New Gods in the Kamandi tale described, multiple "emanations" of Darkseid and the NGs, and Darkseid is "rebuilding his Godhead from shattered fragments" across the multiverse. The description of the Monitor shiftships in the multiversal map as microscopic in the Source but megastructures in universal scale fits with the idea of New Genesis/Apokolips and the general Sphere of the Gods being on a completely different scale to 'normal' reality as well. Everything about this is truly awesome.

Also there was a funny line about a reverse of the effect that may be really important later, when the Sivanas were telling Lil' Sivana about their artifical Rock of Eternity they say it's much smaller on the inside, like a bizarro-TARDIS.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jan 29, 2015

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

TwoPair posted:

You don't think Earth 42 is grim? I mean, on the surface it's a happy, Mini-Marvels-esque world where tiny heroes have fun inconsequential adventures, but then they're all actually robotic Manchurian candidates working for the villains.

And let's not forget the atomic-suited gun-toting BatJudge from Fallout Earth in the same story. I wonder where their Superman went.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Premeditated Toast posted:

If Enemy Ace was his grandpa, who was his grandma? Because god drat those are some serious thunder-thighs, Bruce.

You can see in the sketch variant cover that they're supposed to be flared-leg trousers in the style of Nazi-era German officer uniforms (themselves an artifact of cavalry-mounted officers wearing jodhpurs), but I'm guessing the inker and/or colorist missed the mark and gave us Herr Bruce Onatopp.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Grant Morrison is a secret villain because he tried to plant the idea that Thunderworld is full of hidden darkness in my head. It won't work, Morrison! The wholesome cheerful Marvel Family will protect me! :arghfist::unsmith:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

FilthyImp posted:

I'll be very interested in reading some opinions about the ending, since I initially disliked The Just but was swayed by some good analysis.

At the moment, it's a neatly plotted out event, but I'm seeing a lot of loose ends for the sake of ambiguity.

The event isn't over, we still have The Multiversity #2 to go.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

FilthyImp posted:

There's an odd sense of being stuck in the past about that, and maybe a hint that we glorify the good and suppress the bad that went along with the era (segregated lunch tables? Why that was only a terrible Sivanasday phase we wisely worked through, citizen!). There's also the odd implications about sexuality (via a vis Georgina) and the suggestion that chasteness and virginity are super prized in this world of stark good, and that sexual desire is beyond the Marvels and their respective identities.

I suppose there's other things (like the cost of progress vs. the price of tradition) but the Georgina scene stuck out most given the pairing with Rapey McGrim Sivana...

Yeah that's real clever and everything but I'm getting a little tired of clever writers making sure that nothing good can ever be enjoyed without reminding us that the society of the time wasn't perfect. And really, putting those kinds of details into a setting derived from Golden-Age Fawcett is about as fair as Infinite Crisis rewriting history so that the Silver Age was so goofy and carefree because of rape and mindwipes.

I still like Morrison and I still like Multiversity but it's been 30 years since Watchmen, I think I've had enough deconstruction of my punchman funnybooks already.

e: unless I'm completely missing the point and all that stuff is supposed to be indicative of the Gentry's subtle influence on Thunderworld as a commentary on how we can never have nice things these days precisely because pseudointellectual blowhards can't stop making our heroes serious and real and make sure everyone knows it's not your father's comics anymore, in which case... I'm dumb.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Mar 26, 2015

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Toph Bei Fong posted:

If the idea is to (literally) capture the reader's attention, the Gentry already did that from the moment you purchased the comic. It's not like you were actually going to quit reading halfway through, is it?

I actually, honestly considered either not reading any further or skipping to the last page after the first two-page sequence just to see what kind of, for lack of a better description, philosophical implications that might have on the discussion of this issue.

I mean, I was gonna read it all eventually but not for a few days, a week at most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

You know how often the classic tales would say things like "Not a dream! Not an imaginary story!" and the like?

What's the last thing that happens at the end of this story?

• Locked thread