Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Mimir posted:

I'll let you draw any conclusions you might want.

This feels incredibly relevant. Isn't the "zee zee" the typical Jimmy Olson signal watch noise?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Blind Marvin posted:

Morrison has used an egg in the actual Marvel Universe before, the Phoenix Egg, but you're right, they're just a bunch of Very Important Items to signify the high stakes that mean EVERYTHING again and again until they mean nothing at all, like the two world killing nukes with the convenient off switches from his Animal Man run.

Someone on Twitter made the comparison to Adam Warlock's evil self hatching from an egg?

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Evil Mastermind posted:

So is this some sort of Multiversity offshoot or side effect? Because it looks like involves alternate timelines and such.

DC's 2015 Event Will Preempt All Regular Comics For Two Full Months

That's interesting, I was expecting it to be this as well, considering that when Final Crisis was announced, it was pretty clear that DC looked and went "there's not enough money in this... let's COUNT DOWN TO IT." It wouldn't surprise me in the least if they tried to tangle up some bits of Multiversity in it, but apparently it is just straight out of the Doomed and Futures End stories.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Lord Krangdar posted:

That would be cool, but what would they do for the digital edition?

If I had to guess, I'd say that most people have a forward facing camera on whatever they read their comics on. I can't imagine how you'd set up the Comixology app for that, though. But it would be loving awesome.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Just saw this solicitation on CA:

well, I'm glad they're mass-producing that map. Still need to find a sensible framing solution for mine...

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Evil Mastermind posted:

I feel like it's a counterpoint to everything Morrison's kind of fighting against with Multiversity; it's a world where the heroes are pure, the villains suitably villainous, and nobody dies. It's not dark, nobody gets their arms ripped off, there's no moral ambiguity. It's fun. There's still the sense of danger, but it's still lighthearted and fun.

I really loved the murderous Sivana that had no qualms about killing Billy before he could even talk and how Thunderworld's Sivana was actually a bit disgusted that this was an alternate version of himself. It feels like an excellent comparison between what DC's doing with some of their characters (like, say, having someone cut off the Joker's face) and what they could be doing.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Waterhaul posted:

Having the Joker run around with a bullet hole in his head and disfigure himself to give himself a Chelsa smile?

Yes, exactly!

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Fuckstick Electric posted:

I think he was being tongue-in-cheek.

I was trying to play along a bit rather than acknowledge that I forgot about that part of Morrison's Batman?

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.
It actually took someone saying that the Earth One stories were Earth 1 for me to even think of that. I think I managed to block out that those god awful comics were even a thing, and when I saw the Earth 1 trinity, I was all "is this Morrison calling back to some platonic ideal of the trinity?

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Neurosis posted:

I only drift in and out of reading the main DC/Marvel continuities (Hickman is a huge draw), but how many of the 52 universes shown (sans the 7) were pre-existent? Because I feel like very many of them were just boring heroic iterations. I know Morrison likes optimistic superheroes, so he doesn't have a reason to imagine 'gritty' universes, but I like those settings and it forecloses any kind of Wildstorm type spinoffs.

Most of them were pre-existing on some level or another. At least a few were created by Morrison (some as far back as about 30 years ago), but there's the Millar-based Red Son world, the Waid-based Kingdom Come world, the Earth One that has been curated by JMS and Johns that I refuse to believe is anything more than boring. The Kirby-earth was, well, Kirby, and goes back as far as... was that map in 52? Sliding all of Kirby's stuff onto one world just kinda made sense and helps insulate it too.

While I'm sure there were some that were freshly made up, the only one that I think had no precedent was Earth 13 (and tell me if I'm wrong about Earth 13, because I want to read all of that).

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

StumblyWumbly posted:

I hear you, I love the comic, and I do hope you're right, but the idea that Morrison wants more critical reading is a bit undercut by the criticism that harms Intellectron. It isn't valid criticism, it's just folks getting sick of the dark spectacle and moving on.
Ultimately,I think Morrison is writing off DC (and Marvel) as a place for good comics. The trap is not complete unless Ultra Comics is locked away as well. He gets at a similar point in other comics, most clearly in Action Comics where DC and work for hire agreements are the big villain of an issue.

People getting sick of the dark spectacle and moving on isn't valid criticism? Let me rephrase it then: this thing is unoriginal, there are 500 other comics that present [dark spectacle] every month, and it's gotten commonplace and rather boring. Oh, this event is going to CHANGE THE UNIVERSE FOREVER? Blah, heard it last week. Add in that I have to assume Intellectron was chosen because the name screams that he represents the "these are graphic novels not comics" attitude, and I think there's a case for that all being pretty valid criticism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Toph Bei Fong posted:

by criticizing that the ending of the book doesn't quite work during a commentary about book endings not working, we summon and give power to Intellectron and are hence part of the problem.

Yeah, I didn't really buy when you were selling this the first time, and I don't buy it now, but you can keep on going on about it.

• Locked thread