Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It'll be okay, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Chris Burnham's #1 variant

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

If any issue gets delayed I suspect it'd be Quitely's one.

His was the first art shown in 2012. If it isn't ready for November(?), that'd be amazing.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Aug 16, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Updating "interactive" map.
http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2014/08/18/the-map-of-the-multiverse

Really, they just link to a piece of art and bio for each (3 so far) Earth.

I assumed Earth 8 had something to do with 70's-90's DC with the bullet logo type stars around the '8', but I guess not.

e: Oops. Didn't click the full bio. I guess that's a Cap America type shield around the 8.

quote:

Not quite what you were expecting? Perhaps that’s the best way to describe this world, populated with heroes such as the patriotic power soldier known as American Crusader, the lightning-charged warrior god Wundajin, the massively-morphing, quick to anger monster known as the Behemoth and the scientifically-minded, elementally-powered foursome known as the Future Family. Alongside such figures as Machinehead, Ladybug, Stuntmaster and the “neo-human” heroes of the G-Men, they keep their world safe from threats like the destructive Lord Havok and the Extremists.

On Earth-8, a life of heroism often comes at great sacrifice to the man or woman behind the mask. Faith in heroes is in short supply and mistrust can run rampant. Perhaps the people of Earth-8 should talk to some of their alternate world counterparts, who turn out in droves for movies featuring the very heroes they’re shunning.

These have to be ripped out of the guide book issue, so I'm skipping the rest.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Aug 18, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

horsepeen posted:

Ever since that Action comics issue, I've been wanting more of that President Superman.

Have you read Final Crisis?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I didn't think it was as good as FC:Superman Beyond (as a similar thing.) Would have wanted it a bit longer for what it packed in.

BTW, Action Comics #9 is confirmed as required reading. It's a buck on Comixology in the Multiversity sale, as well as the aforementioned Superman Beyond.
Definitely read it first.
https://www.comixology.com/Multiversity-Sale/page/3152/?tid=B140819002_DC_Multiversity_Sale

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I think his strongest message is "Comic fans are gay."

e: Feeling the chill of probation, facetious comment refers to digital page 26 in the comic.

Barry Convex posted:

So are there two Nix Uotans or what? Who drops the comic midway through?

This time Nix isn't really Shazaming out of a real world boy, but is his imagined representation diving in while he's exploring and analyzing comics, maybe?

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Aug 21, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Superman Beyond could be okay if you just know that it starts after Lois had been critically injured in the Daily Planet blowing up.
I cant remember if it has a totally satisfying ending if you don't follow Superman back into the end of Final Crisis.

Might as well read the series. You would be missing Nix and President Superman's small appearance, at least.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Aug 21, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Bown posted:

Gonna read Morrison's Action Comics run now. Not read any of it except for maybe the first issue. How good/Morrison-y is it?

It starts off very grounded but about half way through goes totally bugnuts as the story gets concerned with 5th dimensional imps.
I loved it. It's full of as much heart as it is craziness.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Read Action Comics #9 at least. It'll introduce you to one of the main characters in #1.
https://www.comixology.com/Action-Comics-2011-9/digital-comic/24203

You don't need to go deep on it, but there's a ton there and it builds on a lot of his past DC event concepts. I'd recommend just jumping in and then reading an annotation page http://comicsalliance.com/multiversity-dc-comics-grant-morrison-annotations-part-1/ and see where it takes you.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It was fun. Especially since I've just finished reading the Justice Society Returns issues at the start of the JSA omnibus. It felt a lot like those.

Kinda bummed that that wasn't really a GL Etrigan like I was guessing from teaser images.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

hup posted:

Count Sinestro and Parallax: literally Yellow Peril.

Oh man. How did that slip me?

Where are the annotations at?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Nope. The 22nd.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

That Risso cover is great.

e:

THE MULTIVERSITY GUIDEBOOK #1
Written by GRANT MORRISON
Art by NICOLA SCOTT, GARY FRANK, KLAUS JANSON, CAMERON STEWART, DAN JURGENS, CHRIS SPROUSE, BEN OLIVER and others
Cover by RIAN HUGHES
1:10 B&W Variant cover by RIAN HUGHES
1:25 Variant cover by TOM FOWLER
1:50 Variant cover by PHIL JIMENEZ
1:100 Variant cover by GRANT MORRISON
On sale JANUARY 21 • 80 pg, FC, $7.99 US • RATED T
Retailers: This issue will ship with five covers. Please see the order form for more information.
The guidebook to the greatest adventure in DC’s history is here!
With a detailed concordance featuring each of the 52 worlds in the Multiverse, a complete history of DC Comics’ universe-shattering “Crisis” events, a map of all known existence, AND an action-packed dual adventure starring Kamandi of Earth-51 alongside the post-apocalyptic Atomic Knight Batman of Earth-17 and chibi Batman of Earth-42, this 80-page mountain of MULTIVERSITY madness cannot be missed!
The MULTIVERSITY GUIDEBOOK contains everything you ever wanted to know about DC’s parallel worlds and their super-heroic inhabitants. Meet the Agents of W.O.N.D.E.R. The Light Brigade, the Super-Americans and the Love Syndicate! Meet the Accelerated Man, Aquaflash, BiOmac and more!
Overflowing with today’s top artists and completely written by Grant Morrison himself, readers of the DC Universe can’t afford to pass up this oversized, sixth chapter of MULTIVERSITY!

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Oct 20, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Even though issues are double sized, I wish there was more room to tell these stories.
Both of them have been really cramped.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It's spun out of Superman Doomed and Fututres End. Not related to Multiversity except for involving stuff like Red Son characters, which are on Grant's map.
Expect contradictions to the Multiversity guidebook if anything.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Nov 12, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Senor Candle posted:

What? I didn't think it was spinning out of anything. Just two months of filler so people can move.

Yeah. That's why it's happening but it's had a little set up.
Superman Doomed ended with

Spoiler...

Braniac sucking out the brain energy of everybody on the planet and Superman whacking him into a black hole where on the last page he ended up here

and a future big monster Braniac is talking about collecting multiple versions of people in Futures End.
Check out the pink areas in these covers:

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I need the annotation page up, like, yesterday.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Just post this for the article: :shrug:

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Read Thunderworld.
I love how he went from maybe his most complex comic to maybe his most simple.

The guidebook is advertised as the next thing in the back, but I feel like I might want to read it last.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I thought the Johns/Frank Shazam trade was great.

You're painting a dire picture of horror kids when it's really pretty fun and innocent.

The book's worth it for the facial expressions.

I hope it finally gets a series on the other side of Convergence.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Dec 19, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Oh man, the guide book...

e: Anyone wanna check Lil' Gotham? I'm guessing #23 and 24 are the pertinent issues here https://www.comixology.com/Batman-Lil-Gotham/comics-series/9360?ref=c2VhcmNoL2luZGV4L2Rlc2t0b3Avc2xpZGVyTGlzdC9zZXJpZXNTbGlkZXI&Issues_pg=2

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jan 28, 2015

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I like that the character is named Ultra Comics.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

You probably have to actually get Marvel on board for that one.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

redbackground posted:

Is the Tangent universe mentioned?

Yup. Also..

e: If it's not clear, there's a story along with the list of worlds, so don't skip on the issue.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jan 28, 2015

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I thought the map was telling us that the New Gods sat above the Orrery, but here the Kirby world had their own set?

e: The N52 New Gods zipping between Earth 2 and the main one supported the first notion, so I wonder what's up.
ee: Not that I'm against Kirby's NG's chilling in Kirby Land.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jan 28, 2015

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

fatherboxx posted:

Most Earths are bad and boring, unfortunately :(

Assuming they were well written, I'd definitely read more of the ones that have had their own Multiversity issue so far, as well as..
E13 with superhero Hellblazer (especially keeping the Jae Lee art), E17 The world of the weirdo spacesuit Batman we met and Lexhex and all that, E18 with the cowboy western League, E21 New Frontier world, E23 for more of President Superman's world, E26 Captain Carrot's world, E29 Bizarro world, E31 Swashbuckling League, E42 The Tiny League, E44 with the Metal Men JL, E47 Prez world and E51 Kirby World.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jan 28, 2015

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

tenniseveryone posted:

Red skies and Darkseid. Between that and the event recap page in the Guidebook, it's probably about time to read Final Crisis, huh? Plus that psychopathic Dr Silva salivating over doing something bad to Mary Marvel...

Oh definitely. There's so much stuff. It had President Superman, ships traversing Bleedspace, the Pax Americana Captain Atom, Nix Uotan.

e: If you're going digital, get the collection/trade version. Half of the carrying concepts are in the included Superman tie-in comic that you'd miss just getting the main issues.
Also, N52 Action Comics #9.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jan 28, 2015

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

There's no harm in picking Multiversity up without being a well read Morrison devotee, but if you've been enjoying it, you should get a huge kick out of Superman Beyond and Action Comics #9.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The flaming hand writing on a wall is an old Kirby Fourth World feature. Messages from beyond the Source Wall or something.
It was in Final Crisis too.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Neurosis posted:

he doesn't have a reason to imagine 'gritty' universes

Read Pax Americana?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The Wildstorm Universe wouldn't exist cause it was explicitly smooshed in to make the New 52 at the end of Flashpoint, right?

e: I mean, they could have ditched anything anyhow (except the established Earths Morrison wanted to use while planning way before the reboot) so who really cares, but that one was shown merging.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Jan 31, 2015

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I assumed it was the DC bullet when we just had Earth logos to go by, but I'm guessing it's supposed to recall a Cap America type shield.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Feb 1, 2015

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Bleedingcool has the Guidebook sitting at #4 for the week in their retailer poll, which is pretty good for an $8 comic. I have been curious about how well the series sells.
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/02/02/bleeding-cool-bestseller-list-2nd-feb-2015-batman-goes-swim/

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

There's only been the Guidebook since Thunderworld.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Morrison loving LOVES DC, dude.
If he was mad about them futzing with continuity (the third time they've done so while he's worked for them,) he wouldn't have constructed a new Superman origin for them right after FC.
I'm sure that aspect is a big part of the fascination for him. He had an arc in Animal Man dedicated to the continuity ghosts created by Crisis on Infinite Earths.

e: and of course the depiction of DC history through Crisises in the guidebook. Hands of the creators and all that.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Feb 7, 2015

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Mastermen preview
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=preview&id=26095

The dreaded Jim Lee issue looks great so far.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Feb 15, 2015

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Evil Mastermind posted:

Okay, seriously digging that pirate universe alternate cover.

Aaron Kuder is the best.

I wonder how that Superman comic exists on this Earth.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It's within the 60 years later 2016 section without any other time marker, but the Freedom Fighters unveiling scene has to be a flashback, right?
Them being survivors of purges from the 50's and 60's doesn't go with the year, making me think that's the start/first incarnation of the group.
Is that Phantom Lady there and in the opera house? If it is, she's had a costume change from the earlier scene. I guess Uncle Sam is usually immortal or swapping bodies of old patriots, so his age might not factor, though he is just a hologram elsewhere.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Feb 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Ultra Comics preview and Gmo interview
http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2015/03/exclusive-preview-interview-grant-morrison-unleash.html

• Locked thread