Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Kingdoms of Amalur looked like bargain bin shovelware but was better than Skyrim.

skyrim is bad but amalur is worse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
actually you know what, its too close to call really. they're both super loving bad but at least you can mod things in skyrim.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

i'm afraid i'm not that surprised by the games i play these days, i'm prudent enough to not buy games at launch and wait for feedback and avoid games i might dislike. i usually know i will like a game well before i buy it. i wasn't always like that, but through hard work, i've reached this level of discipline.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

since this is the imp zone on something awful...

:goonsay:bioshock infinite

you really are a retard

Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012

The Sharmat posted:

I had many hours of fun playing legendary videogame disappointment Black & White

all i remember about black and white is that it was really good and fun

that and the "I got this notion that I'd quite like to sail the ocean" song

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
need for speed hot pursuit actually makes car game kinda enjoyable

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

the most recent tomb raider. it was pretty good, but it needed more tombs and less falling off cliffs and poo poo. that got old quick.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
4th edition dnd

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

liquid courage posted:

the most recent tomb raider. it was pretty good, but it needed more tombs and less falling off cliffs and poo poo. that got old quick.

Yeah, I expected the reboot to be just a bland and low-effort as other recent reboots, but was pleasantly surprised. If you can ignore the incongruous characterizations it's quite enjoyable. To shoot people in the head with arrows etc.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I played some steam greenlight horror game called Five Nights at Freddy's because my dumbass friend told me to and I nearly pissed myself. animatronic animals are so loving creepy

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay

SunAndSpring posted:

I played some steam greenlight horror game called Five Nights at Freddy's because my dumbass friend told me to and I nearly pissed myself. animatronic animals are so loving creepy

it looks kinda cool, but what is the actual ~gameplay~ like?

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

actually you know what, its too close to call really. they're both super loving bad but at least you can mod things in skyrim.

this

amalur's more broken than skyrim gameplay wise imo, every attack in the game has animation cancelling

edit for more content for the same low price of having to read this post:

eve of extinction is a cool beat 'em up that stars a bootleg leon kennedy that has a bunch of cool weapons. the man wielding the black mcguffin weapon is colonel from metal gear solid because that guy can't and doesn't need to do any other voices

extermination is a ps2 launch title i think and the villain is water and the gameplay is pretty fun. you can mod your gun out and swap parts, like adding an autoaim system that takes up your whole gun but removes any possibility of cool addons. it's a third person resident evil like iirc so auto aim isn't even very good

Doctor Goat fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Aug 14, 2014

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Schnedwob posted:

it looks kinda cool, but what is the actual ~gameplay~ like?

you know that lovely game for the sega CD, Night Trap? It's like that but not garbage and actually dread inducing and spooky. You go from camera to camera to observe these moving animatronics and make sure they don't get to your security room before you can shut the security gates. the security gates require power to operate, though, so you can't be a pussy bitch and leave them down all the time. also, there's this wolf animatronic that, if you don't keep looking at it, will charge you and do this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hrAdk9mH0E#t=103

Also what's really funny is that the guy who made this used to do nothing but make Christian bible animations.

http://hopeanimation.com/news/tag/scott-cawthon/

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
FEAR: Perseus Mandate is ugly to look at and the story is phoned-in nonsense, but it doesn't touch FEAR 1's gunplay (like the other expansion and FEAR 2 do) and as a result it's still really fun. They also give you way more ammunition for the cool weapons (pistols, ASP rifle, penetrator) than FEAR 1 does.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

skyrim is bad but amalur is worse

hey you guyz our dwarves are called something else in this game and there's an almost naked elf chick you get to talk to sometimes

also something about cards

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

liquid courage posted:

this too

also like 110% fewer lara deathcam scenes, holy poo poo did someone on that game have some issues

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.
its kinda sad that they made this instead of a new Legacy of Kain but Nosgoth is surprisingly fun

Dumlefudge
Feb 25, 2013

Das Butterbrot posted:

its kinda sad that they made this instead of a new Legacy of Kain but Nosgoth is surprisingly fun

Nosgoth's definitely been a lot more fun than I had expected. I thought it'd be some F2P garbage when I first saw it but it's been a lot of fun so far in the few days I've played it

Abandon
Nov 23, 2006
pokemon ranger

its a gimmick ds game where you draw circles around pokemon but it was surprisingly addictive

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Fear Effect, but I have yet to play fear Effect 2.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:
The new Wolfenstein was surprisingly dope.

Mark of the Ninja was one of the best stealth games I've played and I really wish there were more 2d stealth games in general, let alone ones as well-done as that one.

I didn't think that Legend of Grimrock was really gonna grip me because people talked it up as old-school challenging, but it was piss easy compared to Etrian Odyssey (which was my introduction to that type of dungeon crawling) while still managing to be a really great game with really well-kept secrets.

A lot of people shat all over Fable 2 for being worse than the original but honestly I liked it for its own merits. Fable 1 combat wasn't hard it all and 2 knew it so it just kind of focused on being a blast to mix up combat styles, which it mostly succeeded in. I say mostly because going full magic was boring as gently caress later on because they decided it should be the only fighting style which didn't scale up the damage on its basic attacks, but eh. I also appreciated that the areas were as big as they were, Fable 1 feels like a series of hallways but each zone in 2 felt big enough to explore without trying to be a failed open world thing. Just a shame that Fable 3 took the worst aspects of both games while ditching all the wasted-potential-but-good things in the first two games, the latter of which would have made a game that might have actually lived up to the hype from the first one.

Abandon
Nov 23, 2006
clive barker;s undying, although it got the lovely fps tank-vs-tank syndrome on later levels. you know the thing where 90s era fps's just get soul destroying because youve got to stand there and shoot things gently caress knows how many times with a shotgun until they keel over for a whole level. except in undying it's the scythe of the celt thing

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Just found this game in the recesses of an old hard drive. HELLO CHILD HOOD. Gonna get my clicks on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLiZsijShbY

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Abandon posted:

clive barker;s undying, although it got the lovely fps tank-vs-tank syndrome on later levels. you know the thing where 90s era fps's just get soul destroying because youve got to stand there and shoot things gently caress knows how many times with a shotgun until they keel over for a whole level. except in undying it's the scythe of the celt thing
Undying had some really cool ideas, it just needed to have been made by a better team.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Abandon posted:

Tank syndrome did suck in that game but it made some of the fights pretty hard even against normal mobs. Especially those teleporting invisible things. Either way more shooters need the weapon and enemy design of CB:U. A lot of monsters in that game didn't gently caress around and didn't feel artificially difficult unlike so many other shooters.

Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of The Earth if you can get beyond some of the clunkiness is one of the best FPSes ever made. I like to think the bugs and clunk are all part of immersing the user in the madness that is the mythos.

CB:U and CoC both seem to fall into the games that are more about concept, art, and atmosphere than anything else which is what makes them rather special compared to say Halo. Same reason why Blood is the best build engine game.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Aug 14, 2014

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

It's like Siberia 1 and 2, except it actually has an ending and brings the story to a close. No weird or obtuse puzzles either.

Abandon
Nov 23, 2006
it's a shame that undying bombed because he had a load of sequels and prequels planned based around the guy's mysterious past with that otto keisinger guy

the idea of a mansion built around a tower that was just there for as long as anyone could remember, and nobody knew where it came from, and it turned out to come from a lovecraftian dungeon dimension is legit cool

Abandon
Nov 23, 2006
also going back in time to a monastery that burned down hundreds of years ago in mysterious circumstances, and it turns out that you did it. and you stole an artifact that their sole purpose was to protect, then used it to cause exactly what they were trying to prevent happening to happen, and you kind of start to figure this out as you go along but by then you can't stop it

Abandon fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Aug 14, 2014

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Dongslayer. posted:

need for speed hot pursuit actually makes car game kinda enjoyable

lol look at this dork, i bet he thinks all car games play like gran turismo

this is becoming more and more true every year and need for speed is part of the reason why

Great Joe fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Aug 14, 2014

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

I got Bionic Commando 2009 because I liked RearMed and I really liked it but then I found out people didn't for some reason. Then I got Dark Void and I thought it was decent but the ending came out of nowhere and went by way too fast but it was really fun being a jetpack man while everyone else was in a cover shooter. Then I found out people didn't like that either.

Great Joe fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Aug 14, 2014

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
I think the newest Dota wannabe games Strife and Dawngate are both more fun than Dota 2 and League of Legends but I'm worried it's just because the people playing haven't had time to become as insufferable.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Marlow Briggs and the Mask of Death looks like a blatant God of War knockoff. And it is. But it's a solid knockoff that's missing like one or two features from the game and it's written like a B-movie on SyFy. And Steve Blum gets to voice a goofy character without sounding like Wolverine and he's pretty good at it.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

long live the queen is fun and refreshingly light on creepy anime poo poo (not totally free of it though)

Space Trader Merchant Marine has really garbage shooting and clumsy dialogue but i had a lot of fun trading space garbage and shooting identical pirates

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
I have that Merchant Marine game, and it seemed competent but at some point a mission refused to complete or something, so I quit playing it. It wasn't great or anything, but I really really like trading between planets/ports you get the idea.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

cmykjester posted:

I don't think id recommend it to anything that doesn't loving love JoJo
there is one thing I would recommend to someone who doesn't loving love JoJo.
death

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Crimson Harvest posted:

I play a lot of games, but this is Imp Zone so who doesn't?

Anyway, sometimes games I play turn out to be fun or at least tolerable in spite of my low expectations!

For example, 'Two Worlds II' is actually a fun game, and not at all bullshit (in the same ways) as the first game. Obviously you have to disregard any story or plot going on, but the freeform character development and interesting equipment upgrade system made the game fun enough to play that I finished it.

Another game I recently found pretty good despite its heritage was 'Pac Man Championship Ediiton DX+' on Steam. I was born in 1981, so I got my fill of the original game by the time I was 5, and it wasn't even that great when I was a kid. But this new game is intense, and the variability and speed really keep me interested despite it still being a pacman game.

One last one I found really fun to play even though it's in a played-out genre by a nobody developer is 'The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing' games. The quips between the main characters are funny or clever, the skill system has lots of options, and hitting werewolves with grenades so hard they explode into gibs is satisfying as heck. Sometimes the fights can be a little unbalanced in favor of the monsters and you get killed, but it's fine because it lets you respawn on the spot. It does start to feel like a slog near the end, but I kept playing to see what the next tier of skills were like, and overall had a good time.

Imp Zone, what games have you played that turned out to be decent when you expected them to be terrible?

All of them.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers on GBA is basically a Diablo clone without randomized levels and with different story paths for the different characters. The graphics are pretty bad but the gameplay is mindless fun. Characters play differently enough. Level up Gandalf's fire spell and it gets insane splash damage and owns x 3. Also loot, of course.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
I like Drox Operative, it's like a diablo grindfest except it's in space. There's randomly generated sectors and planets, and a bunch of AI alien races play an 4x game against each other colonizing planets and building fleets and researching tech and poo poo. But you don't need to do any of that spergy stuff, instead you're an rear end in a top hat mercenary dicking everyone over, causing wars and mayhem, and using the loot to get a more badass spaceship. Pro tip: ally with the dragon men or the hate robot race and lead their glorious fleet to victory. I also like how humans in that game aren't the "baseline", they're loving ice cold playas.

weak wrists big dick
Dec 18, 2012

good job. you are getting legitametly upset because I won't confrom to your secret internet cliques gross social standards. Sorry I don't like anime. Sorry I don't like being gross on the internet. Sorry that you are getting caremad.

your stupid shit internet argument is also only half true once I get probated, so checkmate anyways but nice try.

]
Here is my 1,000 page essay about why Just Cause 2 is one of the greatest games of the previous generation:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

I liked Shrek 2 :downs:

• Locked thread