Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum
Ech, I just finished Cat of Many Tails a few weeks ago, so I can't join in on this one. Still, a good story that kept me guessing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum
I don't think we have enough details to do much speculating yet, but I'm caught up and ready to go.

(I do like that the group of fellows are presenting there own wild-arse guesses with too little to go on, though).

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Oh my god this is a series, we should read the other books in the series. :allears:
I'm liking it a lot so far. Julia is rather charming.

quote:

Is it too obvious that there's something in the holdall that's valuable that the Major wants? Which means that if he's the guy Kenneth was talking about, Eleanor is in the mix too. And Eleanor and the Major were both absent from the lunch that Ned was really worked up about (was the thing in question stolen maybe? or perhaps it wasn't stolen but Ned noticed something was up).

So now we know the time. Ned was still alive a bit past 6, before dinner. Both Eleanor and the Major were back by then, relatively recently. I don't think Marylou, Kenneth, and Stanford were back yet, they may have been though and Ned could have been killed during the night. We are only half-way through!

I'm wondering about that conversation - we don't know for sure "Bruce" is the person Eleanor is referring to when she warns Kenneth at first, and considering that she's in the antiquities business, her saying that this Bruce "stole" a chair and mirror from her might mean he snapped up an auction lot or something before she could, rather than anything illegal. Could Bruce be a pseudonym (or the real name) (Edit: or the employer) of someone in the party? It presumably could only be Ned, the Major, or Stanford. The Major would then seem the best bet, since he's also in antiquities.

But there's some weird business going on between Kenneth and/or Ned and the Major, with him apparently entering their room late Thursday morning, and then the thing with the holdall at Heathrow. Not sure what to think about it yet.

We don't yet know when Ned's body is discovered, but as you say we've last seen him around 6 in the evening, and since he and Kenneth share a room the chances are the murder will be found some time Friday night. Since everyone's back from Verona by dinner, that doesn't rule out anyone, but at least it gives the Major and Eleanor somewhat more opportunity than the others.

Hobnob fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Oct 8, 2014

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum
I'm caught up, just not had the time to do a post with my speculations.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

It just seems too easy that we've narrowed down to just two people who obviously know way too much.

One thing that's confusing me: how does Tamar know the Major didn't steal the holdall? I guess like Skuto said Kenneth might have let him have it, but Tamar's figured something out. :argh:

That's what I was thinking too. Suddenly we have only two suspects and that seems too trite for a murder mystery.

The only thing about the holdall I can think of is that it's actually the Major's, but he labelled it with Ned's name because he was using it to smuggle something suspect back into Britain. Then if it was caught in customs, he wouldn't be fingered. I don't know how Tamar would know that for sure, though.

Hobnob fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Oct 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

(Ha, I got the explanation for the Major's holdall mostly right, even though I missed that he must have been carrying hand luggage.)

This one's a bit of a stumper.

Bruce I'm pretty sure now is a red herring, given the flat dismissals it's been getting from anyone. It was from Julia overhearing a conversation, so maybe it's not reliable.

Talking of Julia, is she so other-worldly that she missed that she woke up next to a dead body? I have no answer to this one.

It's spelled out twice now that it's not Eleanor or the Major's interest in the Tiverton legacy that leads to the murder, but that's a carefully worded statement, and I'm always suspicious of those. Could it be due to one of the other suspects' interest?

The obvious link would be Kenneth, who's evaluating the collection. He's not doing so well for income, thanks to Eleanor, so maybe he figured he could miss-evaluate some rare piece, acquire it somehow (through Ned?), then sell it off for its true worth. Perhaps that was the big money earner that he and Ned were alluding to, then Ned got cold feet (maybe explains why Ned was so nervous?), and he murdered Ned to stop him talking. However he seems well out of the way in Verona during all of the action.

Likewise Marylou, Sanford, and Graziella, all in Verona. I wonder what the point of getting Maylou back to Italy is. I guess it might be so she's in the right place to be captured by the police, but OTOH why would she agree to go back in the first place if she's the murderer. Alternately it might be so that her husband could be caught doing something while she's away, but again he's also ruled out by the time evidence.

The time is the problem for all of these. From the autopsy (died no later than 3PM, possibly earlier) it could conceivably be that Ned was killed before the tour group left for Verona, but then are we to take that Julia hallucinated sleeping with Ned later? It doesn't really work.

I guess if I had to pick one I would say Kenneth, with, say, a sculpting chisel (sharp and pointy). He's the only one I can come up with a possible motive in killing Ned. However I have no idea how he would do it give the timeframe.

Hobnob fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Oct 25, 2014

• Locked thread