Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Sysadmin Support posted:

Hey everyone. I'm the new coder. You might remember me from such incidents as "the forums being down today" and "a lot of poo poo on the forums not working after it came back up". This is the thread where I'll talk about whatever relating to the technical stuff about the forums. Also feel free to ask questions or have comments or whatever.

So it turned out that the source code and config file repositories I got when I first got set up were not quite up to date and when I changed the copyright at the bottom of the page to 2014 and deployed to production, the nginx configurations travelled back to the before time and the load balancers dipped. So much for that. So hours later, it's back up using the newest configuration files but everything is loving broken still. Great. Turns out during deployment there's a step that extracts and minifies all the static assets using HTML comment delimiters. Only problem is those things are stripped out in deployment and I used the deployment code as a starting place (due to the fact that the live code had hotfixes in it), so none of the Javascript was getting deployed properly. So upon receiving copies of the latest templates with all the HTML delimiters in place, everything is hopefully back to normal once again, and my first day comes to a thrilling conclusion.

So yeah sorry about that and hey.

Taking bets on how long he'll last.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

bring back chooch

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

spankmeister posted:

Taking bets on how long he'll last.

can radium create a forums system so hosed up that even god couldn't fix it?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

maybe the new coder is actually radium #wow #whoa

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Nuke the forums software from orbit and start fresh, it's the only way to be sure

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
something wacky is going on with the forums right now. the threads report new posts but i don't see them

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

something wacky is going on with the forums right now. the threads report new posts but i don't see them

that bug's existed before but it usually only omits the last post; when someone else posts it shows both of the new ones

in this case it seems to be omitting the past page

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
lol what the heck could even cause that all of the sudden

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

The Management posted:

Nuke the forums software from orbit and start fresh, it's the only way to be sure
:agreed:

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

I saw that too, and also I witnessed a page with only 8 posts on it. (there were more pages after that one)

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

yeah , I've had threads with multiple new posts which I can't see even by clicking last

:argh: radium

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
radiums coding is bad

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
are we supposed to blame radium or Chooch now

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Proteus4994 posted:

can radium create a forums system so hosed up that even god couldn't fix it?

apparently

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
one weekend I'm going to write a forum from scratch like an idiot web janitor and become the new lowtax.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

dragon enthusiast posted:

yes

teen bear
Feb 19, 2006

dragon enthusiast posted:

choocher did nothing wrong

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

radium still dishing out the banishments

BooLoo
Oct 18, 2010

SLAM TIME
another soul to be fed into the sa codehole

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
Lowtax @lowtax
actual forum error logs courtesy of radium coding:
Jun 26 16:59:41 [WARN] you are gay
Jun 26 16:59:41 [ERROR] someone has stolen your trees

is this why sa can't keep any coders

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

its also not marking as read op

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
what ended up happening to chooch anyway, did he just get driven mad by radium's code and kill his are self or something

teen bear
Feb 19, 2006

BooLoo posted:

another soul to be fed into the sa codehole

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

jony ive aces posted:

what ended up happening to chooch anyway, did he just get driven mad by radium's code and kill his are self or something

got a better job and lowtax couldnt afford to pay him

just like he couldnt pay the guy who maintained the advertisements hence the forums displaying ads that would install malware

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

spankmeister posted:

maybe the new coder is actually radium #wow #whoa

the coder is still radium

it always has been radium

it always will be radium

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

The Management posted:

this but unironically

hey new guy dont bother to fix poo poo plz just work on figuring out how to move it all to something modern

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

avsforums had to move from a modern system back to vbulletin and it's painful and I don't like reading it anymore

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

2.1.17b @ 2014-08-13 (7f0db209426d)
* Removed tons of skeletons

why is the new coder making the forums less cool

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

its a good thing they changed the copyright, before that i could only make lovely posts because i wouldn't care if they got stolen but now i can make good posts again

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

Lowtax @lowtax
actual forum error logs courtesy of radium coding:
Jun 26 16:59:41 [ERROR] someone has stolen your trees

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

im excited

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

poz my neg code hole

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

same

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3657211&perpage=40&pagenumber=43
back in my day 40 posts per page meant something

teen bear
Feb 19, 2006

these are exciting times for as and I look forward to great new forums improvements

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
wheres titan!!!

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

lol

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

:choco:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

can i put in my recommendation for discourse(tm) the modern internet discussion engine?

• Locked thread