Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010
I recently bought a house in the OKC area and I think you've picked a good place for this. I briefly considered something similar but prefer a historic house.

If you look up the city zoning maps there are actually specific areas of town with special zoning to encourage infill housing. You can also look down in Norman as they are extremely friendly to weird architecture. As long as you stay East of I-44/the Hefner parkway you should be able to avoid HOAs as they won't be very friendly to your idea. Stay clear of the Shepherd, Miller, and Chautauqua historic districts as they will be much more restrictive.

I would think carefully about your architect and make sure he has an engineer on the payroll as well. They can sometimes suggest beautiful but woefully impractical designs. If you do this you're going to want to sit on the architect and then the general contractor every day to make sure that they don't screw up. Because they will.

You should also understand that this is going to be significantly more expensive than buying an older house, atleast in the OKC area. A few of my coworkers have built houses here and they love having houses built just the way they like but they were definitely more expensive than houses with comparable amenities and size. On top of that you need to be prepared to pay for both this new house and your current living situation at the same time as you will be paying for both during building.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread