Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
what is the good video games journalism that you want to see but is not happening. in-depth industry reporting? serious cultural critiques? if not that what is there to write about beyond "the next assassins' creed will have 1 billion more of polygons" "here is how many points out of ten i think the dark prequel reboot is worth" and the occasional introspective "how i lost my viriginity to sonic the hedgehog" type thing

haha bummer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
if the problem is that they're turning into bloggers who have to keep a drip feed of bad content going, or that they make money from ads for the stuff they report on and that they expect their audience to be into, or that they're corrupted from doing like 'pure' journalism because of their personal connections to the industry people who hook them up, okay, but that's also a list of the problems with regular journalism

Sir John Feelgood posted:

People complain that game journalism is nothing but press releases w/ sarcasm & pandering drivel, but honestly, i dont care. The only game news i really care about is when a game gets announced or gets a release date. I listen to the giant bombcast every week, but i dont care about their opinions, its just entertainment. I can most of the time ballpark how worthwhile a game will be just by watching someone play it & im pretty sure everyone else can too. If its hard to tell, i just read what people on forums are saying. Its been yrs since a review by ign or gamespot has influenced my decision to buy a game. So reviews dont matter to me, and i dont need to read human-interest essays about how a video game changed someone's life... So game journalism can keep doing what its doing for all i care.

One of the things that surprises me about the gamergate thing is the implication that so many self-described gamers depend on ethical game-blogging (and kotaku in particular) for their information & are being screwed by this corruption. I thought everyone was just watching streams & talking to each other to find out what games are good, not reading kotaku. Somebody should care about it probably, but its not me.

that's where i'm at except i dont listen to the giant bombcast

• Locked thread