Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Indolent Bastard posted:

Is there a full list of all cards and what set they come from? Or better yet images of the cards?

http://www.afewmaneuvers.com/topic/573-full-card-list-by-expansion/ is kept pretty updated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Caddrel posted:

Also to get any other complaining out of the way, in that designer interview they say that "Scum are the faction you play if you like tricks. If you like control decks in magic," and that scum have a lot of "jerk moves." The new HWK can supposedly turn abilities against you.

This doesn't sound fun to me. The game is fundamentally about planning out and controlling your ships. Denial of control doesn't see very fun in that context, nor do "jerk" moves. Who wants to look at their opponents squad and think "ugh, this won't be fun." Of course no one knows what the actual cards will be, but those were my thoughts.

In regards to the 'denial of control', Ion cannons have existed since wave 1. Biggs has been around for just as long, who manipulates who you're actually shooting at (just like a redirect spell in MTG) and as Chill mentioned, stress manipulation and management has been a lot more common in recent waves.

Urethane
Dec 21, 2004

HiveCommander posted:

In regards to the 'denial of control', Ion cannons have existed since wave 1. Biggs has been around for just as long, who manipulates who you're actually shooting at (just like a redirect spell in MTG) and as Chill mentioned, stress manipulation and management has been a lot more common in recent waves.

Oh it definitely exists in the game already. What I'm worried about is a whole squad with Biggs-like abilities, or the equivalent of a control deck.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
4 Golds with Ions and Flechettes is already a huge control squad.

So is 4 Greys with two Flecettes and Munitions Failsafe.

They already exist.

Urethane
Dec 21, 2004

Strobe posted:

4 Golds with Ions and Flechettes is already a huge control squad.

So is 4 Greys with two Flecettes and Munitions Failsafe.

They already exist.

And I don't find those squads to be very fun, which they are pushing. That's all I'm saying.

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived...
Secret reveal for Scum faction will be that they are led by Porkins.

TouchToneDialing
Jul 21, 2006

Tie swarms have always been the best control squads in the game. Ions and Flechettes arnt really that competitive.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

FuSchnick posted:

Secret reveal for Scum faction will be that they are led by Porkins.

I'd buy 4 copies of every ship

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!
I'm just hoping for Looted TIE Interceptors piloted by the Hawk-Bats, with Lt. Kettch as the high pilot-skill unique.

Pilot Ability: Push the (Ewok) Limit

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
It looks like their general archetype for Scum is lower-PS or slightly weaker ships with stronger debuff abilities to even the score. It's a new way of playing the game and after some initial dismay I'm getting more excited to see how it plays out.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

overdesigned posted:

It looks like their general archetype for Scum is lower-PS or slightly weaker ships with stronger debuff abilities to even the score. It's a new way of playing the game and after some initial dismay I'm getting more excited to see how it plays out.

Maybe, but I don't think we've seen enough to really say that yet. New Fett is a powerhouse on paper at least, the M3-A's are similar to TIE Fighters but with options.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Honestly the only thing I'm worried about is that the more options they add to new ships, the worse older ones will look by comparison. Like, if a whole bunch of new ships end up with that new banked K-Turn, how will that stack up with older ships that just didn't have that as an option?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I think it'll balance fine, it's not like the banked k-turn is strictly better than the old one. They're just different.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
That was just an example. So far we've seen 2 and a half new moves introduced to the game, 0 speed, banked k-turns, and white K-turns (that's the half haha). And then there's new types of upgrades or pilot actions on too of that.

As the game evolves, they can either just keep giving us new configurations of all the same moves, or gradually introduce new ones. If the game keeps growing to a 12th or 15th or whatever wave, will X-Wings or TIE interceptors still have a place in lists? Or will new ships with new maneuvers be the only viable ships for the new meta? I'm sure in casual play there will always be a home for "lower tier" ships, but what about tourney play? It'll get seriously boring if all anyone can play is some combination of the latest and greatest.

I'm not trying to doom-&-gloom. I just have way too much time to think about moving little plastic squares around haha.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!
Looking to get into this at some point. Xwings and z95s are my fave ships, would a list solely of them be viable?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Chiwie posted:

Looking to get into this at some point. Xwings and z95s are my fave ships, would a list solely of them be viable?

Yes

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Speaking as a complete newbie, are there any "I wish I'd been told this when I started" tips and tricks?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Lungboy posted:

Speaking as a complete newbie, are there any "I wish I'd been told this when I started" tips and tricks?

Always remember order of operations when rolling attack and defense.

Attacker Rolls
Attacker Modifies (spends Focus, uses re-rolls, whatever)
Defender Rolls
Defender Modifies

Makes things a hair more of a gamble for the attacker. Spend the focus now? Save it for a defensive roll? whatever. My first couple games we were rolling at the same time and it made it a bit too easy for the attacker to rack up damage.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

jivjov posted:

That was just an example. So far we've seen 2 and a half new moves introduced to the game, 0 speed, banked k-turns, and white K-turns (that's the half haha). And then there's new types of upgrades or pilot actions on too of that.

As the game evolves, they can either just keep giving us new configurations of all the same moves, or gradually introduce new ones. If the game keeps growing to a 12th or 15th or whatever wave, will X-Wings or TIE interceptors still have a place in lists? Or will new ships with new maneuvers be the only viable ships for the new meta? I'm sure in casual play there will always be a home for "lower tier" ships, but what about tourney play? It'll get seriously boring if all anyone can play is some combination of the latest and greatest.

I'm not trying to doom-&-gloom. I just have way too much time to think about moving little plastic squares around haha.
It's entirely possible that a future expansion could introduce an EPT that allows the S-loops. Keep in mind that two years and 12 new ships later, the TIE swarm is still a top-tier list so 'new hotness' isn't a requirement to win. In my local meta, the same guy has won the past two tourneys with that setup.

Lungboy posted:

Remember that the long and short-range modifiers (the +1 attack die at range 1, +1 defend die at range 3) only apply to primary weapons, not any missiles/torpedos/turret weapons that your ship may have.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

jivjov posted:

Always remember order of operations when rolling attack and defense.

Attacker Rolls
Attacker Modifies (spends Focus, uses re-rolls, whatever)
Defender Rolls
Defender Modifies

Makes things a hair more of a gamble for the attacker. Spend the focus now? Save it for a defensive roll? whatever. My first couple games we were rolling at the same time and it made it a bit too easy for the attacker to rack up damage.

This is incomplete. Sometimes the defender modifies the attacker's roll or vice versa. When this happens, it is always the person who did not roll the dice who has to modify first.

Another thing I often see people getting mixed up about is flying through and overlapping stuff.

Flying through another ship: No Effect
Overlapping another ship: Forfeit Action, K-Turns fail, become equivalent straight maneuver
Flying through obstacle: Forfeit Action, roll one red die and suffer result, including possible critical
Overlapping an obstacle: Forfeit Action, roll one red die and suffer result, including possible critical, cannot attack this round

Overlapping an obstacle also doesn't make you immune to that obstacle on the next round. If you fly through or land on the same asteroid next turn, you suffer the effects again.

You barely ever get to measure, and most actions that allow you to measure force you to commit to that action if you can legally finish it, such a Target Lock or Boost.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

HiveCommander posted:

Keep in mind that two years and 12 new ships later, the TIE swarm is still a top-tier list so 'new hotness' isn't a requirement to win.

The fact that there won't be any 11 point ships was the best news from that interview with the designers, but my favorite part was the comment that the TIE swarm is the shark of X-Wing: it doesn't need to evolve.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

jivjov posted:

TIE Swarm is still a thing, and it's all first wave stuff. I think your fears are unfounded so far, it's not like new ships are better but also cost the same number of points as older ships, etc.

Urethane
Dec 21, 2004

Hra Mormo posted:

This is incomplete. Sometimes the defender modifies the attacker's roll or vice versa. When this happens, it is always the person who did not roll the dice who has to modify first.

Another thing I often see people getting mixed up about is flying through and overlapping stuff.

Flying through another ship: No Effect
Overlapping another ship: Forfeit Action, K-Turns fail, become equivalent straight maneuver
Flying through obstacle: Forfeit Action, roll one red die and suffer result, including possible critical
Overlapping an obstacle: Forfeit Action, roll one red die and suffer result, including possible critical, cannot attack this round

Overlapping an obstacle also doesn't make you immune to that obstacle on the next round. If you fly through or land on the same asteroid next turn, you suffer the effects again.

You barely ever get to measure, and most actions that allow you to measure force you to commit to that action if you can legally finish it, such a Target Lock or Boost.

Also, a given die can only be rerolled once per attack. So you can't double up on Han and target lock, or spend target lock after forced to reroll by R7.

Aristocrat
Dec 24, 2005
On the preview image for the Most Wanted pack does anyone else see what looks like an Andrasta title for the Firespray? Am I being too hopeful that they might be adding Emon Azzameen from X-Wing Alliance as a Firespray pilot?

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

There is definitely a Firespray related card that starts with an 'And.' Hopefully it's not getting hopes up too high, but it looks like there's also a PS6 pilot with a name that starts with either E or A.

KO Derf
Jan 14, 2003

Doctor Rope

Aristocrat posted:

On the preview image for the Most Wanted pack does anyone else see what looks like an Andrasta title for the Firespray? Am I being too hopeful that they might be adding Emon Azzameen from X-Wing Alliance as a Firespray pilot?
On both the FFG forums and the s&v reddit page people have already assumed that is what it is.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
http://www.reddit.com/r/XWingTMG/comments/2dqrwf/ffg_blog_scum_and_villainy/?sort=confidence
This thread on Reddit has a bunch of pretty good guesswork on the semi-visible cards. Andraste and Emon both are listed as likely there.

KO Derf
Jan 14, 2003

Doctor Rope

jivjov posted:

...will X-Wings or TIE interceptors still have a place in lists? Or will new ships with new maneuvers be the only viable ships for the new meta?
I recommend watching that short interview with the new designers. They specifically mention that titles are a way to bring things up to date. They also talk about keeping the classic movie ships relevant.
It's easy to imagine them making Rogue or Wraith Squadron titles to give X-Wings access to things like the s-loop, or a system upgrade slot, or whatever the new hotness is.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
IG-2000 will be the first, and probably the only large-based ship I will get two of. It sounds like it'll make a hilarious duo list.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

If anyone's interested, here are the squad lists for the Top 4:

Winner, Rick Sidebotham: Whisper + Advanced Cloaking Device + Veteran Instincts + Fire Control System + Gunner; Soontir Fel + Push the Limit; Captain Yorr

2nd place, Jeff Beerling: Lando + Han Solo (crew) + Nien Nunb + Draw Their Fire; Chewbacca + R2-D2 (crew) + C-3P0 + Draw Their Fire + Millennium Falcon

Paul Heaver (lost to Jeff): Han Solo + C-3P0 + Millennium Falcon + Luke Skywalker + Veteran Instincts + Engine Upgrade; Biggs; Tala Squadron Pilot

Nick Jones (lost to Rick): Howlrunner + Push the Limit; 6x Obsidian Squadron Pilot

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I'm still disappointed that Paul lost his match. We were cheering him on and hoped he would take another win home to nova squadron.

KO Derf posted:

I recommend watching that short interview with the new designers. They specifically mention that titles are a way to bring things up to date. They also talk about keeping the classic movie ships relevant.
It's easy to imagine them making Rogue or Wraith Squadron titles to give X-Wings access to things like the s-loop, or a system upgrade slot, or whatever the new hotness is.

Ya I imagine they could use titles to upgrade the x-wing into the c-e series. It'd be similar to the super falcon and hornet designs in their attempts to keep them viable. RIP tomcat.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Chill la Chill posted:

I'm still disappointed that Paul lost his match. We were cheering him on and hoped he would take another win home to nova squadron.

I'm more disappointed that even Paul brought a falcon. The one thing that annoys me about the Phantom is that as a rebel player I have a really hard time justifying not bringing a falcon.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Hra Mormo posted:

I'm more disappointed that even Paul brought a falcon. The one thing that annoys me about the Phantom is that as a rebel player I have a really hard time justifying not bringing a falcon.

Yeah last week I was helping Rick practice for GenCon and brought a list that didn't have the Falcon. Took down Yorr and Fel easily, then got owned by the Phantom. Can't wait to run YT2400 and YT1300 together and just forget about Phantoms for an entire league.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

He's been playing with a falcon for a couple months and the meta around nova has been anti-anti-phantom for a while now. The double and triple lambda lists have been the mainstay for a while and I assume he, like I, has been able to maneuver around those so he took the list anyway.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

alg posted:

Can't wait to run YT2400 and YT1300 together and just forget about Phantoms for an entire league.

Chewie + Dash?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

by the way, if you want to be even happier you play X-Wing, take a look at the Attack Wing forums on BGG.

http://boardgamegeek.com/forum/1384767/star-trek-attack-wing/general

Apparently WK was selling GenCon exclusive promos, but only 30 a day, and people got trampled/etc. The promos are just strictly better than other ships.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
Here is what I was planning to try once I get my hands on a YT-2400.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Literally one thread is "Does anyone play for fun?". That's just the funniest thing to me.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

You can see the effects of tournament/convention-exclusive products in YGO vs. magic attitudes. People of all sorts play both games of course but in my experience people were bigger jerks in YGO due to the drive to with exclusive playmats and cards.

There are convention-only magic promos but they host enough of them that they are actually cheaper than the normal copy for at least a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

alg posted:

Apparently WK was selling GenCon exclusive promos, but only 30 a day, and people got trampled/etc. The promos are just strictly better than other ships.

Man, I was there and it loving sucked. I tried for two days to get those promo ships for a friend, and both times it was mess of poo poo planning and communication.

• Locked thread