Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

It seems like an issue that you could easily resolve with a ruling to the tune of "if two friendly ships remain deadlocked with each other for two turns in a row as a result of the maneuvers chosen by their controlling player then the next maneuver is chosen by the opponent;" Just something you can tuck away in a super technical, tournament-rules FAQ that'll be a non-factor to your average legitimate player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

They did the Moldy Crow so they probably ought to do the Raven's Claw now because Kyle Katarn is the coolest Star Wars.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Good thing is that "cool looking ships" is a fine way of doing it. Only thing I'd change is that the TIE Bomber is a bit of a dud. I'd swap it out with a TIE Phantom because they're good and fun as heck.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

I'm in the same boat of wanting a good sleeved damage deck container. I sprung for a preorder on one of those Ultimate Guard folios for the upgrades, but it seems like the only option for an actual deck holder are a bunch of made to order 3D printed stuff that's way overpriced. I'm fine paying twenty plus bucks for a nice zippered case that'll hold hundreds of upgrades, but not so much with paying the same price for a little plastic widget.

e:

jassi007 posted:

From Ultimate Guards twitter. Can't find it on their website.

I guess that solves that issue.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Strobe posted:

It also means that if the defender (or the attacker) has a card or ability that is useful at range one while defending or attacking respectively, it can be used. The ones that comes to mind most amusingly are Gemmar Sojan and Carnor Jax. I expect we'll get a FAQ update explaining how the physical distance is what's important, not the range band classification, but as it reads right now I'm pretty sure both of their effects would come into play.

I think stuff as it's worded now clarifies it. Both Gemmer and Carnor specify "ships" being at range one, whereas the Inquisitor's ability explicitly only has you treat the attack itself as though it were fired at range one. It wouldn't hurt to have a FAQ state it for certain, but as-written it still seems distinct.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Ballpoint Penguin posted:

What about this for an annoyingly hard to kill Ghost:

Kanan Jarrus (38)
Reinforced Deflectors (3)
Dorsal Turret (3)
C-3PO (3)
Lando Calrissian (3)
Experimental Interface (3)
Ghost (0)

Sabine Wren (21)
Push the Limit (3)
Twin Laser Turret (6)
Jan Ors (2)
Phantom (0)

Prototype Pilot (17)
Chardaan Refit (-2)

Total: 100

So you use the Awing as a blocker. On Kanan's turn he moves performs an action (probably a focus), then uses EI to do the Lando action, on the Lando roll you call "zero" with 3P0 so you're guaranteed an evade. Then if you need more evades Jan can convert a focus from the Lando roll to an evade. Then Sabine can reveal a green maneuver, perform a free boost action then PTL to perform another action, then drop her stress and perform another action. You could get a range of 1-4 evade tokens on your zero agility dump truck, while also possibly reducing an incoming attack by 1 red die.

One issue/general rule question about this to whomever, C-3P0 doesn't work with the Ghost because it has zero agility and he requires you to be rolling at least one dice, right?

Edit: Scratch that, I'm an idiot. I didn't notice you were triggering him off of Lando's ability instead of an actual combat roll.

Gumdrop Larry fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Dec 13, 2015

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Deviant posted:

I'm confused because I'm new, how does this work? If a card is discarded, how do you flip it face up? Or is face down = discarded? I.e. this would let you crack shot twice?

Technically when you "discard" stuff you just flip it face down to represent it's gone, and he can flip em back up. It means he turns those elite pilot talents that are usually a one and done deal into a permanent/reusable effect.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Deviant posted:

Decloak nerf? I'm not familiar with it, i don't use it much in general.

The timing of it got changed. Originally you decloaked before revealing your maneuver dial, and now you have to declare decloaks and resolve them at the very beginning of the activation step period. Prevents high PS phantoms from having way too many repositioning shenanigans after everything else on the board has moved.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Finster Dexter posted:

Wait, are secondary attacks limited to front arcs? I thought secondary attacks used the primary attack arc, which on Miranda is a 360 degree arc? Again, I'm still new to this, and just realized the other day that stress tokens take away your ability to "perform an action" but not free actions given by other abilities.

It's not intuitive, but yes they do use the primary firing arc. The key thing though is that ships never have a 360 degree "arc," they can simply fire in any direction. They're still constrained by the static arc printed on their cardboard base like anyone else when it comes to secondary weapons or effects that are relative to something being in their firing arc or whatever else.

Just to clarify the second point too, stress does prevent all actions regardless of type, free or not.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Right, because again as unintuitive as it sounds the game actually makes a distinction between the term "firing arc" and the concept of what direction you can shoot your main weapon. The "firing arc" is the static, unchanging forward-facing arc printed on every ship's base that show you where you can shoot anything, ordinance or primary base weapons. When you have the circular arrow or a dotted-line auxiliary firing arc, think of it as the game allowing you to break the rules for your primary weapon alone. When your K-Wing is shooting something behind it, that ship is outside of the K-Wings primary firing arc for any sort of technical terminology on effects, but that circular arrow on the primary weapon means you're still allowed to make the shot in spite of your printed arc.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

bunnyofdoom posted:

I now own 4 t70s. (2 tfa cores, 2 expansions) thinking of painting one black and orange. Tips?

Priming black makes it go really fast at the expense of it being a total motherfucker to paint good clean and crisp orange over top of it. You could do the standard painting practice of layering up from like a grey with the orange markings, or alternatively if you're willing to take the effort to lay down a black basecoat you could prime the thing grey or white from the get go. Also the fairly sharp factory paint jobs also manage to mask that the models are a little bit mushy in terms of detail too, so in general a nice thin masking tape is your friend for the side stripes and stuff like the panels on the wings.

Here's my quick and dirty Black Leader that I skimped on the details with because the orange was driving me insane.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

guts and bolts posted:

Also: any thoughts on how to run a good Decimator build? The same guy who ran my Falcon + Poe decided he really loves turreted large ships and bought one, but I have so little experience with building my own Empire lists I'm at a loss to help him. I was thinking something like:

Rear Admiral Chiraneau (65)
VT-49 Decimator (46)
Predator (3)
Darth Vader (3)
Ysanne Isard (4)
Gunner (5)
Engine Upgrade (4)

Soontir Fel (35)
TIE Interceptor (27)
Royal Guard TIE (0)
Push The Limit (3)
Stealth Device (3)
Autothrusters (2)

I like the Decimator, but yeah it's underwhelming. I've used that exact squad a couple times, and also a tweaked version with Expose and a Hull Upgrade instead. Vader pairs well with Gunner for pumping out guaranteed damage, but him alongside zero green dice means the thing gets shredded unbelievably quickly. Ysanne helps mitigate it some, but even then it dies fast. It's like a big flabby Falcon that gets shredded like wet paper under any kind of concentrated fire. It looks intimidating and has a deceptively high combined total of shields and hull for how well it explodes.

That said, in my admittedly limited experience with it that's the build I like the most for it; It does what it wants to do best with those three crew. It has the capacity to pump out some decent damage at the very least. I wouldn't classify it as "good," but if you want to put it on the table regardless I wouldn't alter that list.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

At a glance I read into "Dual Card" classification as just clarification that there are two different versions of the card that have the same name but opposite effects.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

I'm just keen on using Chopper as a pilot along with Zeb and anti pursuit lasers and floating around like a big dumbass purposefully trying to make people run into it.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Even if it's not the best of the best, my favorite scum pilot is probably Kath with veteran instincts, a heavy laser cannon and an engine upgrade with crew or a hot shot blaster or whatever if the points allow it. It really is a shame all the small ships are so underwhelming.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Edit: Nevermind, Gonk is scum only. :(

Gumdrop Larry fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Feb 10, 2016

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

As a whole wave eight looks really fun and good and I'm excited for each individual ship. I just want the stupid things to come out at this point. They must be coming by rowboat or something.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Lump Shaker posted:

Sorry if this is a newbie question that gets asked a lot, but are the official FFG mats a good option? I was also looking at these: https://www.etsy.com/listing/245589368/star-wars-x-wing-miniatures-gaming-mat?ref=shop_home_active_6

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

A 3x3 mat in general is incredibly useful for the sake of having a nice clean and uniform perfectly defined play area. I grabbed a Fantasy Flight one and am happy with it for the ~$35 that it cost. The only real negative is that it's actually a little too smooth meaning stuff is still easily bumped; I know that some of the unofficial mats deliberately have a more textured surface to stop this. Also, I dunno how anal stores actually are about enforcing it, but if I recall correctly if you provide your own mat for a sanctioned thing it's technically supposed to be the official FF ones, so avoiding any kind of conflict in that regard was another reason I just defaulted to it. All of that's probably a non-issue really, so I'd just go for whichever one you think looks the coolest.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

canyoneer posted:

What's the EU explanation to why X Wing guns look like sticks with Lego hands on the end?

The little curly-qs reflect the excess laser leakage back inwards so your shots stay full and extra juicy.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Local store champs on March 12th and 20th, so I guess one upside to this whole thing is that I probably don't need to factor in that stuff when thinking about what to use I guess. :(

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Archenteron posted:

Where is the mist hunter? How much are the genetics? Do we have a 22 pointer to BBBBZ in scum now? :f5:

Somebody posted this on the FFG forums:

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Palpatine shuttle lists are some tedious poo poo to go up against holy moley.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Smegmalicious posted:

For all the talk about them I've never squared up against one. Why are they tedious? What makes them worse that regeneration or standard arc dodgers?

Edit: spelling.

The inevitability is kind of oppressive just due to the odds and the sheer volume of choices they have in terms of tokens and modifications to dice. If everyone is allowed to camp the tokens they want and not bump stuff then rolling the dice is just going through the motions because that advanced targeting computer is gonna mean you're always taking one or two hits along with a crit, that Omega with juke is gonna always mean your evade dice don't mean anything, that double focused and evaded Soontir is untouchable, and Palpatine is just lurking back ready to shore up any rolls that beat the odds.

Basically, if they aren't being denied their actions by them getting hit or whatever most of the dice rolls during combat are a formality both in terms of offense and defense. The consistency of both their ability to physically move like crazy and dodge arcs while producing said rolls starts to wear on you mentally really quick.

E: To clarify I just did a store champs using super Dash and a loaded Poe and three of my five rounds were variations of Palpatine shuttles and I was just fried by the end of it all trying to scrap with those things.

Gumdrop Larry fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Mar 13, 2016

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Nope, which probably speaks to my own skill as much as anything else. It's crazy fun using Dash's unconventional movement to try and get real unpredictable and outwit imperial aces but him and Poe just couldn't keep up, as tenacious as they were.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

BB8 in general is unfortunate cause he's a novel looking piece on paper, but it's hard to appreciate how restrictive and situational he is until you put him on the table.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

I think all the reference card is saying is that since there's no back to the card with a large version of the upgrade slot symbol you have to refer to the smaller version of the symbol in the corner to know what it is, meaning presumably there will be dual faced cards in the future that for other various slots and not just EPT.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Pyronic posted:

What do people need from the Raider? Just the Advanced targetting computer for Vader?

The advanced title and targeting computer are one portion, but Palpatine is the big piece. Much more sought after too, so if you're buying stuff piecemeal and just want to fix your Vader and don't care about Palpatine then the former two components aren't too outrageously priced, which is nice.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Dash why are your shoulder pads so puffy man what a fuckin knucklehead.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Alongside the water and snacks thing try to consciously sit down as much as you can whenever you're not actively doing something in your current game and inbetween rounds because big X-Wing events are pretty tiring when you're both thinking really hard and on your feet the entire day.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Finster Dexter posted:

The post-dial movement is why Super Dash is my favorite. My favorite part of this game is flipping out and barrel rolling and poo poo. Every time I boost+barrel roll, my internal monologue is making spaceship whoosh sounds.

And regardless of how intelligent the maneuver actually was it has the pretty consistent effect of your final position making people go "well huh."

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Yeah, in a nutshell. The 666 is one of those big, sluggish ships that die to concentrated fire due to their low maneuverability and agility. Bossk's pilot ability is definitely good, it's just that to really capitalize on it you also want to load the ship up with upgrades and consume a huge chunk of the list's points. It's up there for one of the worst ships to have left alive at the endgame; Almost anything else has too easy of a time dropping in behind it and whittling it down, so a loaded 666 is kind of begging to get clowned on. I definitely like it more as a cheapo trandoshan slaver with some combination like Dengar and Gunner along with any of the other really good scum crew for a more reasonably priced piece that's still pretty intimidating and can afford to bring more support along in the form of other ships.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

What the gently caress

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Yeah you can't get much more blatant about there being someone involved who wants a set of everything for themselves/a buddy/ebay. Definitely something to blow the whistle on.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Are store championship bye cards not transferable? I'd assume so since a quick search seems to indicate that it's a big no-no, but I can't seem to find anything definitive as to whether or not they're actually tied to you when you win them and if it's actually against any kind of FFG policy. I intended to use it at Roanoke but missed it due to some pretty incredible bad luck. All the other regionals are too impractical to make it to, but I'd hate to just let it sit there.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

I bought some of the colored bases and pegs. Is there any way of tightening up the sockets on larger ships? The small ships, even the older ones, work fine with the small colored pegs but several of my large ships like the 666 and decimator are floppy as hell on the large pegs which granted was also an issue with the regular clear pegs, but in that case I could dig around in the bag of em and eventually match it up with one that fit snugly. I saw one person suggest squeezing the ship's socket with a pair of pliers a little bit, but that sounds like a great way of accidentally shattering the thing or cracking it and making it even looser.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Holy moley seismic torpedoes seem terrible.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Yeah terrible is a strong word, but the situational nature of them even with it being an action instead of an attack makes me wonder where they fit. They're relatively cheap, but it requires such a specific board state that you opponent can make an effort to play around for a 50/50 chance at damage. I would think torpedo slots would either want more direct munitions in them, or conversely if you're just looking for a few points of filler you would probably be able to find something more potent or consistent.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

I like these ships a lot. Good alternative cheap options for Rebels and Scum, and another solid big chunky ship to pair with an ace or two for Imps. Filling in the holes more.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

I can't imagine even with my closest friends in the most casual of games just foregoing the physical flipping of the dial and jumping straight to just saying/executing a maneuver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

I've been wanting to try a basic Patrol Leader with nothing but Vader crew alongside the standard builds of Omega Leader and the Inquisitor, minus stealth device for O-Leader and rockets for Inquisitor. Might be making too many concessions on all three ships like that though.

• Locked thread