Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Chill la Chill posted:

Defender, BH, and mini swarm works too.

I'll concede that 4 TIEs could qualify as a mini swarm, but 3 is really stretching it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

I'm really happy that there's one guy who always wins at X-Wing. It helps me convince myself that it's not just a game about rolling dice when my dice hate me.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Rebel Aces is awesome, get it. Imperial Aces has TIE Interceptors which are the best ship, (shut up, they are) but lacks the best Interceptor pilot. Get it too, and a regular Interceptor. And all the other ships.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

There's already a rule against slow play, and I imagine he was assigning his dials and executing maneuvers quite quickly.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

I really want to see those lists that he was excited about.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

New preview of the Star Viper is up.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=5222

I'm guessing that Autothrusters are the new candy for Interceptors to deal with turrets that the designers mentioned back at GenCon. They're a 2 point mod that turns a blank green die into an evade if you're beyond range 2 or outside the attacker's arc. Can't equip it without a boost in your action bar.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

When they spoiled all the ramming stuff for the Decimator I was worried that the ship was so much larger than its base that it might extend over the middle of the base of a ship it bumped, meaning you wouldn't be able to add pegs to the bumpee to clear the obstruction.

This happened in the first game I played with a Decimator, and it wasn't even built for ramming.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

jivjov posted:

Just looking at that is making me very very uncomfortable.

If they didn't break a peg by the time they were done with that I'd be extremely surprised.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

SageNytell posted:

gently caress the system, bring all the cans. Win and feel good for helping the needy.

Bring a bunch of cash and ask for tokens equivalent to the cans it could buy, since the food bank knows what they need better than you.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

James Woods posted:

I picked up a second one I stumbled upon in a B&N in the ghetto. Still in the factory shrink wrap. I'll take a Rebel Transport or Tantive IV box set in trade. For a sealed Tantive IV I'll throw in a NIB B-Wing.

How exceedingly generous.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Because I have problems, I've pored over every pixel of the card fan. Here's what I can tell you:

-There are 4x of each of the X1 title and Advanced Targeting Computer upgrades
-There are 6 pilot cards, which means they could have fit them all on 3 ship base tokens, but there are 4 ship bases. Presumably this means they didn't print two named pilots on two sides of one token.

Fantasy Flight Games: they'll make you buy a $100 ship for patches to a ship you already own, but at least they won't be complete dicks about it.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

pbpancho posted:

Vader is a monster with the title and ATC. The new pilots are great as well, Alozen, the one they've spoiled gets a free target lock if he can get to range 1.

Assuming, of course, he can use them since they say "TIE Advanced only" and his pilot card says his ship is a "TIE Advanced x1". I mean, yeah, of course he can, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a clarification in an FAQ.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

AndyElusive posted:

So I'm thinking of getting into this rad looking game but is the Falcon a ship that I'm really going to want but will be super hard to find and when I do find it will it be stupid expensive?

You will want one. It is currently hard to find. If you find it on ebay (or being hawked by a goon) it'll be crazy expensive. If you can wait for the slow boat from China which is hauling a bunch at this very moment, you'll be able to get it for $20.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

AndyElusive posted:

That's why I'm surprised to read and see how they haven't included a Gunboat in the game what with the TIE Defender being a playable craft and all.

If you're unfamiliar with Star Wars: TIE Fighter, all else being equal the TIE Defender at least looks more like the Imperial fighters you know than the gunboat does. I'm not surprised they went with the defender first.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

This is a bad idea you should not attempt. Just wait for the game you want or decide to get into this one.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

There are going to be a few people who want to learn to play X-Wing at the gaming store tomorrow. I don't really know where to start with building teaching squads, I feel pulled in too many different directions. I know that the one X-wing vs two TIEs from the starter can be pretty sucky, and the victims inductees are probably familiar enough with board games to handle a full game. Anybody got any good in introductory lists? I can build basically any reasonable squad that doesn't have more than 1 of a given large ship or 6 TIEs.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

pbpancho posted:

It's not even the physical scale that's the problem with something like a an ISD in X-Wing. It's the scale of the firepower involved too! Armada has a much more abstract approach to scale, so an ISD or even bigger stuff is definitely more likely.

Well, the ISD's main firepower is kind of irrelevant in X-Wing. "They're so small they're evading our turbolasers" and all that. The 72 TIE fighters they carry are pretty relevant, though.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

Is it pretty common in X-Wing for upgrades to not be specific to a faction, but only accessible by buying a faction/ship you don't want. I'm trying to get an idea about how expensive Armada might get. Thanks!

It kind of depends on when you're asking. To start with, you wanted Advanced Sensors for your B-Wings but didn't want to buy a Lambda Shuttle to get them; or Push the Limit for your Interceptors but they were living with Tycho in the A-Wing blister. If you're getting into the game now, though, you can get the sensors with an E-Wing and PTL in Imperial Aces.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Chiwie posted:

Is it a really big deal if you don't have all the cards or have only one of a card you are using a few times? Just trying to figure out how hard this is going to hit my wallet.

If you are going to play at Worlds you need as many copies of the card as you're using. If you're playing at a tournament at your local store you might not be able to get away with proxies. If you're playing on your kitchen table do whatever the gently caress you want.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

It's not the price that's that's keeping me away from Armada. Keeping up with Netrunner and X-Wing and Armada would still be cheaper than smoking. I just don't have the time to play a third lifestyle game.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Leo Showers posted:

Alpha SQ. Pilot is still my favorite Interceptor.

I can't fly ASPs because the idea of a squint without PTL is so foreign to me I can't trust myself not to cheat.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

FFG keeps an FAQ up here: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite_sec.asp?eidm=174&esem=4

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

pbpancho posted:

4X Royal Guard Pilots with PTL. Game over man. Game over. Highest generic PS, plus PTL arc dodging with interceptors. Why bring anything else?

I already have 6 Interceptors and don't want to buy 2 more is why.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Whisper shoots and recloaks before anyone who isn't built to explicitly shoot before him. His pilot ability isn't why you take him, though it is nice, it's all about the pilot skill.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

susan posted:

I'm kinda sad the Falcon can't be taken in Scum & Villany. I mean, it's kinda the quintessential smuggler ship.

Scum and Villainy are pirates and bounty hunters. Smugglers are charming rogues, not villains.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Devlan Mud posted:

I've had a pair of Aggressors on preorder since the title card got previewed, and I don't regret it one bit.

Likewise, and I've refrained from picking up more than a single copy of any of the other large ships.

Another Firespray is a little tempting....

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

jhorphear posted:

This game is starting to cut into my Magic money, drat you FFG indeed!

I'd bet most of the people you play X-Wing with are ex-Magic players. There might be a lesson there.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

I got to do my first dial selection for an opponent who picked a red action while stressed. It swung an almost certain loss to a victory.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

I really enjoyed reading Proton Rockets for the first time. "Oh, neat, these are really thematic. 5 points seems a little steep for +2 dice on one attack, though. I guess you could put them on a Defender, that's only 3 points but it's also only one extra die. Oh, poo poo, this is for the Advanced, they just printed an A-Wing on it as a red herring."

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Han Solo is a really good egg and the Falcon can be set up as the world's best basket.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Dulkor posted:

Yup! Plus, when you fly off the obstacle next turn, the first condition applies again. Landing on obstacles is the worst.

Only if your template overlaps with the obstacle again as you're moving off. I've only played X-Wing with like a half dozen people and I've had to explain this like 20 times.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

It's kind of nice that when a card from X-Wing gets spoiled I know exactly what it does. That's more than I can say for certain other Fantasy Flight games.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

If you fly a Phantom without making any mistakes, you will win. Not making any mistakes with a Phantom is really hard.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Autothrusters can't come soon enough.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Turns out even though people talk about bringing a knife to a fun fight, bringing a fun to a knife fight sucks too. I think I'm done with HLC Outriders.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

I've gone overboard sleeving things in the past but it's never occurred to me to sleeve X-Wing cards. They don't get shuffled or abused in any of the ways that make me feel like sleeving is necessary.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

The Gate posted:

Silver Bullets style balancing isn't the best answer generally.

It is, however, the answer you're going to get from Fantasy Flight Games.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Langolas posted:

My list when S+V hits

7x 7-95s with Dead mans switch

Get wrecked by Space Allah.

I might end up buying a second Most Wanted. I don't see myself buying 4.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Strobe posted:

Soontir and Opportunist doesn't suck, will explain when I'm on a real computer.

Because you can get away with taking 2 actions since your opponent has never seen the Baron not do that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

I thought "fly casual" was a good sentiment but a dumb thing to say until I was reminded that it was a dumb thing that was said in Return of the Jedi.

• Locked thread