Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

TheTofuShop posted:

Re: "that guy" - I haven't played at my LGS in a while, but apparently this dude is a recent x-wing convert from 40K, and I saw him call the TO over 3 times to settle an argument between him and his opponent(s). Luckily, his outburst happened in round 1, so most people had already seen how he behaved and were prepared for him. Most of the regulars I talked to on Sunday were frustrated with him, and he actually left in a huff right before the last round.

Haha oh man, what a knob. Guys like this are the primary reason why I haven't played at one of my local game stores in years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Has anybody here ever played a game with moving asteroids using some kind of scatter die and moving them using the speed 1 template in between turns? The idea kind of intrigues me and brings to mind images of TIEs getting smashed to smithereens in Empire.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Mar 10, 2015

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

overdesigned posted:

It was a neat change, kind of a pain in the butt, but neat. If you're not a sadist, roll the scatter die for asteroid movement before setting dials. If you ARE a sadist, make the roll once all the dials are down :getin:

I'm chuckling to myself at work from thinking about a game between two swarm builds where the asteroids move randomly every turn after the dials are down. :unsmigghh:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

One of the goddamn microscopic fragile cannons on the top quad turret of my recently arrived Decimator busted off from just existing in the same Plano case as a Firespray and Lambda.

How can something with such tiny guns have a goddamn attack value of 3?! :argh:

Anyway, if and when I decide to pop by one of the LGS's in my area, what's the usual point value for a pick up game? 100pts? 150pts?

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Mar 10, 2015

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

ManifunkDestiny posted:

What about the BFF-1 Bulk Freighter, the sitting duck of many an X-Wing video game?

I thought it was strange that I haven't seen any custom built bulk freighters and a quick image search resulted in this:

:drat:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Thanks goons for the suggestions on getting the ultra pro 4 pocket binder to keep pilot cards in.

I had to order up a second one just to keep all the elite pilot talent, crew, weapons, mod cards etc, but it was well worth the purchase.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Mar 20, 2015

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Played with 2 Gold Squadron Y's with Ion Turrets and Dash in the Outrider with a Hvy Las Cannon for the first time yesterday night. I gave him PTL and Kyle Katarn.

It was fun being able to 360 fire with all three ships. I got to deal out a hefty load of ion fire at a couple of Syck fighters and Scum Boba and then pick them off at range 2-3 with Dash.

Kyle Katarn really didn't seem to help much but I probably need to stress out Dash more.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what co pilot might work better for a 100pt build?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Chill la Chill posted:

The defender has a nice set of wings you can use to convert your other (better) ships, so it's not totally worthless!

The TIE Defender is the most beautiful looking TIE variant, you monster.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, sperg. :colbert:

(I guess I just have a soft spot for the Defender from playing TIE Fighter on PC)

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Speaking of Uglies. One of my Y-Wings is warped to poo poo because they're basically cheap plastic minis created in China (like everything). I'm thinking about trying to heat it up and bend it so the main fuselage and the engine nacelles are straight. A cursory Googling reveals that they don't take to heating or hot water very well.

Any advice?

It's either I try to warp things back or I'm taking an exacto and supergluing this hunk of junk back together.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Man, the best thing the old Star Wars EU let us do game-wise was letting us see the universe from the side of the Imperial Navy.

It's become pretty standard fare now to see the perspective of the antagonists but at the time playing as the bad guys was unprecedented.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Mar 24, 2015

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Shockeh posted:

Darth Vader [TIE/x1, Veteran Instincts, Engine Upgrade, Advanced Targeting Computer] (35)
Turr Phennir [Royal Guard TIE, Autothrusters, Stealth Device] (30)
Soontir Fel [Royal Guard TIE, Push the Limit, Autothrusters, Stealth Device] (35)

This looks fun as gently caress to fly, even if it'll suffer badly against certain lists.

I want to try this list out since I've yet to rock Darth or Interceptors in any lists I've played and that feels like a drat shame.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I think I'm buying a second Phantom today.

I haven't even flown a Phantom once. :ohdear:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

jivjov posted:

Incidentally, I'm thinking of changing that recommendation...It's fine when you're starting out, and is still a very serviceable case...but if you're like me and collect 2-3 of everything (sans Huge ships), it starts becoming inadequate fast.

I use it to store my space ships because I don't want to decorate my living room with (more) Star Wars poo poo and it's a great case. It currently stores all three factions with their tokens and dials. I'm super glad I have it. It's just not going to hold two Falcons or Decimators anytime soon with all the other big ships and bases hogging up space.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

So after winning with an HLC Outrider last week, I lost to an HLC Outrider this week.

Only instead of the 2 Ion Cannon toting Y's that I ran as his backup, he was rolling with Kyle Farlander who was also outfitted with an HLC.

My x2 Obsidian pilots and naked Bounty Hunder went down in flames and Darth Vader could hardly scratch the paint off Farlanders B-Wing.

Is there a good counter to all this laser cannon tomfoolery?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Tekopo posted:

High PS arc-dodgers? They allow you to doughnut-hole the Outrider and also get out of arc of the B-Wing.

That sounds simple enough.

Also maybe I'll get to break my TIE Phantom cherry.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Irom posted:

TIE Defenders.

I hope you're serious because I've been wanting to fly this beast but keep getting gun shy due to how often I read about the difficulty in playing it correctly or how much better some other ship would be for the same cost.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Irom posted:

I finally have a build with Vess that is semi-competitive I think. Having an HLC behind 3 evades is worth more consideration than it seems to be getting right now.

I also bought a second defender so I could run the Jonas Brothers list for fun. Jonas plus 2x Onyx squadron pilots with HLCs. It's just hilarious how much damage you can pump out.

That sounds cool and fun, would you mind positing your build? I snagged a second Defender too (and a second Phantom) because of this thread and I've been stealing goon builds lately and adding them to Squad Builder. That way I can experiment with fun spaceship teams and cut my teeth on a variety of different styles.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Why does it have to be one or the other? The games both play differently.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Oh, yeah totally get that. I didn't mean to come across like I don't understand the concepts of budget allotment and time available for grown ups to play games. I guess I just figure if someone who plays X-Wang wants to play Armada they can save up and eventually buy into it and play both from time to time instead of shuffling over to one game entirely and thus abandoning the other.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

There aren't THAT many cards to warrant FFG producing little upgrade card booster packs or for them to even attempt selling them on their own IMHO.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I can just about fill up one 4 pocket ultra pro with pilot cards from all three factions and that's with stacking duplicates.

Upgrade cards barely fill up half of one book and that's putting 2 cards to a single card slot. The only expansions I don't have are Tantive and Transport.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Irom I'm thinking about using your Defender build that you posted a couple of pages back in a game tomorrow with a friend. I've been playing 100pt casuals with him but things are slowly becoming competitive since he's keeping track of wins/losses. Any tips?

To hash your memory:

42 points
Colonel Vessery TIE Defender
Heavy Laser Cannon

32 points
Soontir Fel TIE Interceptor
Push the Limit, Autothrusters

24 points
Omicron Group Pilot Lambda-Class Shuttle
Weapons Engineer

98 Points

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Buy that Falcon.

If you don't, then go directly to carbon freezing. Do not pass Go. Do not collect 200 space bucks.

Irom posted:

Let me know how this list treats you after you fly it. I just flew against a Deci+Phantom list with the new Phantom rules and only took 1 hit of damage the entire game. (I won that game lol)

Nice and I'll let you know how it goes. It's either this list or an all interceptor build. Since I've been reading up on effectively maneuvering the Lambda for a few weeks now I'm strongly leaning towards this build over the other.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Apr 3, 2015

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Kai Tave posted:

Am I really gonna need to buy the Falcon? I'm not morally opposed to it or anything but I kinda feel like big ships sort of defeat the point of a dogfighting minis game.

It's a great dogfighter, easy and fast to maneuver, 360 fire arc on its primary, comes with great and iconic pilots. It's also the only expansion other than Slave 1 that gets you an elite +2 PS 1pt upgrade card, Engine Upgrade which adds Boost to any ship, and a gaggle of good crew.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

So I flew that Defender list and went 50/50 in some slightly competitive but mostly casual couple of games.

Lost the first game because of my inexperience flying all three ships and first time against B&D dual IG2K's, I failed to position the Omicron Group Pilot into effective spots where he could shoot or target lock and help out Col Vessery. I lost Soontir early to general awfulness. I just started to flake paint off of his ships when Omicron ate Heavy Laser Cannon. I ended up losing Vessery a short time later.

Game two was MUCH improved. I maneuvered Soontir out of arc and kept him away from an IG and poured fire on him together with help from Omicron who absorbed HLC and kept acquiring his target locks. Soontir did his fare share of evading and focusing. Vessery stayed at long range on the other IG and whittled him down with primary and target lock rerolls. The final shot of the game came from the much ballyhooed Omicron Group Lambda shuttle. All three ships survived.

Tie (ha) breaker probably tomorrow.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Apr 4, 2015

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Won the 3rd game from the casuals I was mentioning earlier. I really like the Lambda shuttle. It's an armored security van in space.

Soontir aced a clumsy stressed IG-B. I failed to finish off IG-D and return fire and poor rolling means Soontir popped, We left debris on the table and a stressed Omicron Pilot flew through it and took damage. Very cinematic. Vessery jousted with the flaming wreck that was IG-D and heavy lasers ended the game.

2 out o the 3 games I lost Soontir Fel. I'm so bad at flying Interceptors and I feel like a failure at life.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

MRLOLAST posted:

What is up with the points difference of B- wings and Tie - Defenders. I mean omg it can do a white k- turn but the rest of the dial is nothing special. 8 points is to much. They should cost the same or similar.

White k-turning @ 4, while predictable, is very awesome. I'm not sure it's 8pts awesome, but target lock and 3's across the board is nice for a TIE.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Poopy Palpy posted:

And in lovely news, there's no longer an android app you can pull out to remind yourself whether R3-A2 or R2-F2 is the lovely one:

http://teamcovenant.com/guidokessels/2015/04/08/x-wing-companion-removed-from-google-play/

Ya there will, the app just has to be changed around a bit. Remove the card images, just use descriptions for starts.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Starvipers are kind of awesome.

Ran a list with Guri and Torkhil Mux and a couple of Binayre Pirates that Dulkor posted in the thread and thanks to some careful planning I took out an Echo list twice last night.

I have a question about Torkhils ability though, if I drop an enemy pilots PS to 0, does it go back up to 2 immediately if they have Vet Instincts?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Thanks for the info guys, good to know. I can really only think of one incident from my games yesterday where that knowledge would really have come in handy, but for the most part what a crazy ability. There were a few moments where my friend who was running Imperials would find himself with a unique TIE Interceptor pilot within range and the target of Torkhils ability and instead of shooting first would find himself shooting dead last and having to wait out the barrage of fire just to see if that particular pilot would make it out alive.

They often did not.

:black101:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Got a third A-Wing yesterday if for no other reason than to paint one up as Green Squadron.

Anyone have any good x3 A-Wing builds?

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Apr 12, 2015

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Val Helmethead posted:

Jake Ferrel w/ PTL, VI, Procket, Test Pilot, Stealth (35)
Tycho w/ PTL, VI, Procket, Test Pilot, Stealth (36)
Gemmer w/ Pocket, PTL, Test Pilot (28)

99pts for init bid vs other PS9s/ 10s. Drop gemmer's PTL for 4pt Init bid.

Thanks! Unless I missed something though, this build comes up to just 98pts. So I threw Munitions Failsafe on Gemmer for 1pt to make it 99pts.

Orvin posted:

I am going to try really hard to avoid the huge ships until I at least play in a real tournament or two. Mostly because a wing of TIE Advanced with the stuff from the Imperial Raider looks to be lots of fun.

Same. I think the Raider is going to be the first large ship I pick up and I'm still trying to find some of the X-Wing pilots I miss out on from not getting the Transport. I was able to snag crew R2 off ebay for pretty cheap so I'm holding out on the slim chance I can grab 3P0 off ebay for less than the actual retail cost of the Tantiv.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Thought I would put some more work into my Green Squadron A-Wing posted earlier on this page.

Still debating on if I made it better or worse.

Then added some engine glow to the other two stock A-Wings as well:

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Apr 13, 2015

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

EdBlackadder posted:

Is it just me or do rebels sometimes feel like easy mode? B-wings running with a Falcon is brutal for a beginner.

First game I ever played was 100pts with Chewie in a YT-1300 with two B-Wingmen and I completely obliterated a dude who'd been playing since around initial release. As far as I know he wasn't being easy on me.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Took a crack at a First Order TIE Fighter scheme.

I'm sure there are a million other people who did this today...

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

The Sisko posted:

Looks good dude. Though maybe if continue to do this maybe go a bit brighter on the panels but otherwise its awesome.

Thanks and will do! I'll probably go back over this one tomorrow and see if I can brighten the panels up a step.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Holy poo poo the K-Wing. FFG truly knows no bounds when it comes to the EU.

I can't make out what the stat line is for it but am I reading this right? The K-wang can target lock, focus and ...something else?

TIE Punisher is a bomber that can boost?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

There are a lot of people complaining about Wave 7 on the FFG X-Wang forums. It's funny reading people say they're going to leave one FFG game for another FFG game.

It's like they don't understand they're by the same company.

Poopy Palpy posted:

Does the game really need another low agility bag of hitpoints with a turret primary for the rebels?

Is it really going to have a 360 arc? I was thinking the other day that it might not. Even if the K-Wing looks like it should have that kind of arc, it doesn't mean for sure that it will. Look at how the Lambda shuttle has a rear laser turret, while in game it doesn't have a rear fire arc, for example.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Apr 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

The more I look at them, the more I like the K-Wing and Punisher for their sheer fan-wanky absurdity. That they even make some players so upset that they contemplate putting away the game is even better.

Sort of looking forward to the variety of Kihraxz Fighter conversions that some people will try seeing as there's like eight variations of that ship that appear in the source material.

Poopy Palpy posted:

My question was regarding the YT-2000.

And no, neither will have a 360 arc. Nothing has a 360 arc.

Oh, nm then. :downs:

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Apr 20, 2015

• Locked thread