Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Currently the ruling in the vassal tournament is that ships do count as within themselves which I personally agree with. It does not say another. Hopefully the FAQ includes this in the next iteration as well as clarifying that Farlander can use the ability even without a stress token, similar to Garvem Dreis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

For anyone who is still in doubt, Frank, the one who answers game related emails, did clarify the Farlander situation: http://moseisleyraumhafen.forumieren.com/t3056p15-keyan-farlander-s-stressbewaltigung#50014

The Jan Ors crew ability is still up in the air.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Im beginning to think a souped up Farlander is the support ship of choice for Han when you're not running Biggs + A.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I'm gonna enjoy using Fett as an anchor with a couple Z's. Virago as the flanker. A scum version of the lambda, echo, and tie/Ln formation. :)

That insta-hit ion attack is pretty sweet. It would actually allow for a formation of Z's to hold off an echo or even finish off Han.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Got a flawless victory 3-0, 600 points differential, tonight. Keyan + Han is nuts and is the best support ship so far. Beat a rebel elite list, BBZ, a Han/Ors list, and a shuttle/phantom/tie list. Sadly the swarm guy didn't want to play swarm this time and the BBBB guy didn't show up but in testing it was found to destroy enough Bs for Han to survive until the late game.

Farlander was equipped with E2/gunner, PTL, and FCS. I think next time I'll equip him with just PTL and HLC because gunner never activated (and is unlikely with TL+focus at all times) and I think it'll be better getting out the extra damage with HLC instead.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Upgrade cards go into small baggies that I think were originally containing bases/stands. They all go into an old card organizer with most of the game materials. The other materials go on top of my tackle box which houses the ships.

The quick play stuff is on top of this as well as the dice and medals I still need to sell. Poor bombs will never get used so I might get rid of them too.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

:agreed: I think the premium for high-PS pilots is fine but for low PS you want them as cheap as possible. Not only is maneuverability less valued the lower the PS, but the cheapest Z is still PS2 which counts for something during comparisons.

I finally found a card protector that can fit my large Han card so in a couple months I will actually have Harrison ford inside the falcon.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

There could always be a stipulation for a refit downgrade card to be applicable to PS- pilots only.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

alg posted:

you gotta link that

Wish I still had the box but we split up the pack of 10? 12? I believe with anyone who wanted one. It's like $8 and comes from ultra pro.

Can't wait until Ford will literally be riding inside that Falcon.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

So the new FAQ agreed on the interpretation of my play group regarding a friendly ship being within range 1 of itself. :D this means you won't have to take the falcon upgrade anymore and Han, b(Jan), z might be the preferred new list.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

It lives longer when Biggs protects it or a falcon is present. Other than that it does very well with advanced sensors and thoughtful asteroid placement.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Yeah, the continued lack of a crew slot on the stock, which I assume to be the 2-seater if the A4 is the one seater, odd. The requirement for the double tap shot to be within the firing arc is mediocre too. Eh, I do want to fly them again someday but not like that.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I usually trade magic cards for my ships but Amazon periodically has sales too good to pass up.

For rebels I suggest not getting the y-wing but it's fine. For imperials do not get the advanced and bomber for now - but there may be a boost for it later. Get a phantom and regular interceptor instead. The imperial aces have nice upgrade cards but getting both big ships instead is also decent. I'd suggest starting with the shuttle if you had to pick just one but Fett does come with a much needed gunner upgrade for the falcon.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

It's more that it's a high skill ceiling control ship that's not as well suited for beginners IMO. But yeah good luck finding one.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The issue with the most impact between the two games that I feel leads to negative play experiences is that Star Trek makes you attend events to get exclusive pilots and ship cards. X-wing only has alternate art cards and dice that, funny enough, can be sold for nice chunk of cash but everything can be had at retail. Whether this bugs you as a latecomer might influence your decision to play.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Anyone play with a fat Han and corran list before? I'm thinking he might actually be better than Keyan as Han's support since 2 shields are equivalent to the R2 upgrade and there's a max 8 dice instead of max 4 with the B - or 6 and 8 with the HLC.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Uh, rogue squadron series was sweet and it was only due to the mismanaged funding or whatever that it stopped. There were some recent interviews from the developers and they would've kept making Internet space x-wings for people if they kept being paid for it and were actually allowed to finish.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

At today's tournament, despite the meta shifting to accommodate and worlds practice, Han still beat out everyone. Tons of B-wings today but they still had trouble killing the Han lists. All 3 of us running Han were around the top tables all day. Paul Heaver and I played the one swarm list and both beat it. I'll chalk it up to pilot error.

I took third and Paul took first with different versions of Han and support. Predator works wonders when everyone is playing b-wings so that could've been part of it.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Leo Showers posted:

Even the the art for the Delta SQ. Pilot is better than this, and it's got bizarro bent wing.

Disclosure: I like the Onyx SQ. Pilot art because I think it's pretty retro looking. Retro 90's Star Wars art looks rad and I'm sorry if you can't appreciate it.

:agreed: the current trend of gritty brown sci-fi art is really bland IMO.

I hope Paul wins the world champ next weekend cuz it'll be fun to see the tactics he taught me on camera. Really obvious openings when he tells it but I would've never figured it out myself.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I'd posit that for someone who claims to be bad at the game, XXBB is not a forgiving list. Paul would set up asteroids in such manner that he could hide behind them with Biggs 3 turns later while allowing full unimpeded shots from the b-wings. Unfortunately I can't view the list using a mobile but making a buzz saw type list that kills enemies as they come into range seems to be an easier build.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

If they have Han then in that case 3 Zs, a Z and B, or Biggs and Z is fine. Lists with a single support ship are harder.

If there isn't a C3PO then R2D2 or chew baca come the closest.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Just saw the FFG announcement to create a typical rotating format for their LCGs once they've reached maturity. I wonder if they'll do the same to x-wing once they've exhausted all the ships. It'll also allow for fixed versions of ships like the perceived broken nature of Han.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Tekopo posted:

Swarms aren't easy to fly well, though.

If it's a mini swarm accompanying a named bounty hunter, so 4-5 ships max, then you could fly them in an easier pinwheel formation. It's better for rebel ships where their 3-dice attacks make the distance less of an issue, unlike the imps that want a box, but it's fine and way more forgiving for a newer player.

Defender, BH, and mini swarm works too.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I'm seeing so many of the nova squadron guys there. It would not surprise me if there was significant enough numbers to see a couple of them in the top 8. We ran the practice matches over and over so I'm hoping those of us who went with Fat Han should be able to easily beat the tie swarms and BBBB lists now.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Carteret posted:

Finished up for the night dropping after round 5. 3-2 is a respectable record for someone who hasn't flown a ship since july. Heading back for the night to stress out about my netrunner decks for tomorrow morning. :negative:

How much was registration? Trying to see how much to set aside for next year.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

It's only been cut to the top 32 right now but it looks like a few nova squadron guys made it. Going to be funny if Paul wins again just so he can choose between which set of maneuver templates he wants to use.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Looks like Paul decided to go with the list he used last weekend. Everyone during that tourney was playing BBBB because they were tired of fat Han and thought it would destroy it but Paul and I managed to defeat them all anyway.

It's great that nobody showed up to the finals with BBBB so when people use it against me hoping it would work I can continue crushing their dreams. :evilbuddy:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I gotta say that I'm actually proud that nova squadron can keep doing what it does due to cool people. I don't mean just the people who make shirts and stickers and templates for us, but also the way we have an implicit agreement that we can try out new builds and share them during tournaments without letting the open secret out. This keeps us ahead of the meta.

I was privy to a couple brainstorming sessions and discussions of lists were wave 5 to be/not be legal. Stuff like the R2D2 seems a trivial choice in retrospect. But it was proven to be really good when 2 weekends ago, Paul and I did well with Falcons despite BBBB/Y and tie swarms everywhere.

I still don't think the falcon is busted and that beating the swarms/buzz saw lists came down to player skill. Ira was jamming games in cuz he wasn't used to the falcon, and it paid off during his game against the swarm player.

Just wanted to write this cuz I did a tournament yesterday and we chatted a bit about worlds and the effort that went behind it. Though, funny enough, the guys involved are mostly 30-something cool dad types and couldn't involve themselves as much as the rabid MTG fanatics. I'm glad it's a nice balance of effort without overwhelming obsession. I hope you guys belong to communities as cool as this one.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

alg posted:

I've run into a lot of goatee types who show up to league thinkin' they have it all figured out. This game is all about practice and playing good players to get better. It's not like an LCG where you can netlist. It's super good to get a competitive scene going.

There's a guy who shows up with some fat Han variant, usually the latest winning iteration, and I blow him up in the mirror match every single time. It's like I've lined up my Z's/Biggs and concentrated fire on his Han (almost) every single time and he still goes for my Z's first. :psyduck: then he shows up with the Jan/Keyan/Corran support ship and wonders why I went for that first instead.

Tekopo posted:

I think Worlds really got me interested in taking part in tourneys and trying my hand there: currently I've only really had games with a couple of people so it's both to see how well/badly I would do in competition and also let me shake up the group-think that I've got since I play with such a limited pool of players.

Do it. It's fun and all the jerk competitive types play magic anyway. Plus all of the sweet loot prizes go for decent amounts on eBay. It's also great to see how to think outside of an incestuous meta. (Two weekends ago, everyone was sick and tired of playing against fat Han, so showed up with BBBB and swarms. Like 16 out of 20 people. Paul and I beat them with Falcons anyway. Bumping into B formations is the best thing that even surprised some opponents.)

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Wow. Didn't believe you but there it is in its 27 pages of glory. It's already a bad strategy - it just allows for one-turn snipes like Richard did. Bad for MOV but fine for finals. No different from both players running laps on their side of the field until 5 minutes remain.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Scroll down and search for Richard Hsu.

http://teamcovenant.com/sozin/2014/11/09/2014-world-championships-photo-diary/

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

TheTofuShop posted:

...But if the Imp player just flew back and forth for the whole round, he just wins from having initiative, right?

Correct. If he did have initiative, dunno why he didn't do just that. It doesn't make sense either way - if Swarm had initiative, he shouldn't have k-turned, if Richard had initiative, he shouldn't have broken out of the square. Richard might have had initiative but didn't know that in a draw, he wins.

Richard never said anything about the match publicly in the nova FB group but it's really stupid to do during bracketed finals. But really if Richard didn't have initiative, and was biding time to just snipe a single fighter during the end, it was really stupid for the swarm player to do anything but fly away and evade.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Nov 11, 2014

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Yeah I've never met him but lol. I'll vouch for Paul but lol if that's true. Maybe that's why he hasn't said anything on the nova squadron group. Funny enough, the one congratulatory post made in the group on Saturday name dropped Paul, Ira, and Roy, but not Richard.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I talked to a couple guys during the tournament tonight and they confirm that Hsu is a dick. Never seen him at a tournament around here so he probably moved out of the NoVA area, thank god.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Join the group and ask, but normally you don't even have to if you just wait a week or two. Ronald puts up events every other week and I feel like I'm swamped for events lol. Tuesday at curio cavern, Wednesday at game parlor, and I think Thursday at games and stuff. Dunno about the smaller stores and out of those only curio does weekly tournaments - others have game nights. The others only host monthly tournaments.

Games and stuff (first Saturday of every month) is when Ira, Paul, Steve, Honter, and the other really good people play. That's when you'll learn the most as Paul and the others don't mind giving advice. Honter and Steve regularly play at curio, Paul regularly plays at huzzah or game parlor I think. He's from that area.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The lack of Wellington squares is probably a side effect of Han being the equivalent of a horse archer plinking away while driving donuts. It's p sweet

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

C3PO is that samurai balloon thing he's wearing in this terrible analogy.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Actually you'll find that in popular televised games, delay of game is a sweet and expected penalty. So really the problem here is delay of game should be implemented for next year.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

But, Hsu wasn't ahead in the game. Running down the clock when ahead is fine by me in any timed game. That's practically how Han lists usually win.

The question is if being behind in the game and running down the clock for a chance at winning the game with a snipe is considered legitimate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Lol nice. I keep a few pics of my closest maneuvers with Han around and done the same with Paul's.

Anyone have cool ideas to paint on a YT-2400? The only thing I can think of right now is the classic cloud city duel with silhouette. If I was really good I'd put an Italian masters fresco on it, but I'm not.

• Locked thread