Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
So I know that the game is balanced around 100 points, but how do higher point games play out? Is there a reason to avoid them? Cause otherwise my friend and I are looking at much larger fights. We haven't played yet but the idea of having 5-10 ships on either side appeals to us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

I just bought a bunch of rebel stuff to fight my buddy who got all imperial. Scum and Villainy is gonna be my preferred faction though. Any idea when this stuff is actually getting released?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Just got my first ships in the mail. Pretty cool little figures I have to say, and way more little fiddly bits than I expected!

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

jivjov posted:

Yeah, FFG is known for their fiddly bits. Honestly I wish they (or someone) would make an Action Dial that worked just like a maneuver dial but let you select Focus, Evade, whatever to cut down on the number of tokens.

You could buy it from Litko.net probably but be prepared to pay for acrylic

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

edit: this question is answered in the OP

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Aug 15, 2014

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

LumberingTroll posted:

They are way over priced, and rape retailers on order limits and shipping. oh and the owner is a total loving rear end in a top hat that is sue happy and was trying to sue people for cutting foam with a laser. Here is an amusing read on it. http://www.popehat.com/2013/05/02/battlefoam-learns-why-legal-threats-can-be-dangerous/

Go KR Multicase, well made, and very reasonably priced.
https://www.krmulticase.com/buyarmystorage.aspx?system=STAR&army=XW

Their modular box system that goes inside their cases is also pretty slick.

Agreed, KR Multicase makes a fine product at a fair price. I am highly considering dropping 50 bones on Yet Another Case from them but ughhghg.

Also the protip for getting stuff cheapest from KR Multicase is to always always always go with a bespoke case.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I'm about to drop a few dollars to get tuckboxes for the tiny cards. :psyduck:

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Lungboy posted:

In a similar vein, do people generally buy card protectors for their pilot cards? Do standard CCG protectors fit?

I just slipped a pilot card into a Dragon Shield sleeve and it fit just fine

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

FuSchnick posted:

Is there really a need to sleeve cards in this game? It's not like you shuffle/handle them constantly.

But I'm a savage... I don't even sleeve my Netrunner cards...

It's a compulsion. I have the same issue with Devastation of Indines, a game of something like 600 rarely-used cards that require no shuffling. I don't know what the gently caress is wrong with me.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

They haven't released prices for the special Scum & Villainy ships have they? Or should I just assume they'll be 20 apiece?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Strobe posted:

$20? I don't know where you're buying, but MSRP for ships around here is $15 in-store. I'm betting it's $15 for the Viper and Interceptor, $30 for the IG-2000, and then another $30 or so for the three-pack.

Ah, looking at pictures, I assumed they were larger than they are.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I really like the idea that they can include new content without having to add models to buy.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Yeah I want all the X-Wing pilots but I sure as hell don't want to buy the Tantive for them

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

signalnoise posted:

Yeah I want all the X-Wing pilots but I sure as hell don't want to buy the Tantivetransport for them

OK

Yeah I don't want to have to buy some bigass thing I'll never use. They're just cards :(

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I'd gladly split the purchase, paying 15 for the xwing and xwing-related cards, and the other guy can keep all the transport stuff, but do you think anyone would actually go for that?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

You don't already feel like you got suckered?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

So the option is either enjoy the fact that further cards can be gained through card packs, or say "you should get suckered too because I got suckered." I never understood this point of view.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Chill la Chill posted:

No. That is not what I wanted to get across. It was merely that that's the only choice if you want to play in tournaments. I troll and argue about reprinting heavily in the magic thread all the time even though it would cause my ~cardboard investments~ to deflate in value.

Nah that wasnt at you. I should use the quote function more

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I just got my Falcon today and it's way bigger than I thought it'd be. Holy poo poo this game

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Tippis posted:

Hook, line, and sinker. I hope you didn't have any special plans for your money. :D

This was my special plans for my money. I seriously worked overtime so I could buy a bunch of Rebel stuff (now also S&V stuff), card sleeves, and a custom-printed 3'x3' mousepad.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Seriously though, looking at the Millennium Falcon with how big it is has me reconsidering not buying the transport and the Tantive

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Miniature Market now has the Scum expansion up. Retail prices,

Prices

Most Wanted: 39.95 Retail / 27.57 Minimarket
IG-2000: 29.95 / 19.99
M3-A Interceptor: 14.95 / 9.99
StarViper: 19.95 / 13.77

I wonder which ones I'll need dupes of. I know there are unique pilots, are there unique ships in this game? Like, are there some that you can only have one of even though you have multiple pilots?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

So turns out my mistake when ordering from MiniatureMarket, ordering preorder items with non-preorder items, was a blessing in disguise. It gave me enough time to cancel my order to buy Scum stuff instead. What to buy what to buy what to buy, now that all of my money can go towards whatever the gently caress I want? I already will own 2 X-wings (starter), 2 Z-95's, and a Falcon. Should I bother buying any other rebel stuff?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Why do you not already own a Firespray? It's aesome, everyone should own one.

I was planning on doing Rebel and buddy was planning on Empire

I'll probably get both because the Decimator looks cool as heck

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Anyone know when they expect a reprint of the Y-Wing, A-Wing, TIE Interceptor, Slave 1, and Falcon? The stars aligned, my wife said she'd play, and I can do overtime at will so now I am planning to have at least one of each expansion, but the Y, A, and Interceptor are priced high as poo poo due to them being out of stock anywhere reasonable.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Feeple posted:

Have you checked Barnes and Noble nearby? Mine had most of these in stock last time i was in.

I haven't, but mainly because gas is expensive and we're looking at retail (15?) + cost of gas vs internet (10) and no gas cost if I buy enough to get free shipping. I suppose if that's the option I have though, I guess I'll eat that.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

alg posted:

Are you in continental US?

Yes

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

alg posted:

If I can find an exact list of each piece that comes with each kit, I'll sell you A/Y/TIE I for 15 bux + shipping total. I have extras and I'm willing to help a goon out.

I will PM you

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

alg is a really cool dude thanks alg

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I don't know if anyone cares, but I recently discovered that the mini-sized cards for this game, in Fantasy Flight mini sleeves, fit perfectly in a deck box if you put them in wrong.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

This game is pretty much hardcore Oreo practice I have determined

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Just won my first game vs my wife and I'm pretty sure it's because I had Boba Fett on my team and she had a naked HWK on hers. We didn't really know what having 1 attack value meant, we both do now.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

http://www.makeplayingcards.com/design/tuckbox-for-mini-playing-cards.html

If you're using FFG mini sleeves you'll need to trim 1-2mm off the height of the sleeves to make them fit in these tuckboxes, but they perform perfectly when it comes to keeping the mini cards all sorted. Turns out 5 mini tuckboxes is pretty much the same size as an Ultra-Pro cheapo deck box too, so that all works. I still haven't found a 3 ring binder page that will fit 41mmx63mm cards in their sleeves but having used these tuckboxes I'm not sure I'd want to. Pilots, maybe.

I will note that the website above charges a minimum of like 6 dollars shipping, so if you really want a deal on your tuckboxes (they're like 30 cents apiece) you might consider a split at your FLGS if multiple people are annoyed with the cards and are willing to spend a few bucks to solve the problem.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I'm having a problem building anything as Rebs. I have only played the game a couple times so far, but I played Empire both times and won, and it seemed to me like the way to win was to have more attack dice than the other guy, and a lot of defense dice. Fairly simple. I assume there's more to the game than this but I am not able to see it yet. I was thinking, before I really played, that the difference between rebels and empire was that rebels were more ~unique~ and empire was more uniform. This seems to be the case except I have all these pilots where I don't see all the combination potential, while empire gets Howlrunner and ships that cost 25-50% less.

I know the OP says get everything that you think looks cool, but for someone that doesn't have any restrictions on what to own other than retail availability, can someone outline for me the basic meta of the game regarding squad building for both rebels and empire, or link to a known good guide on it that won't lead me into mediocrity?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Tekopo posted:

How much stuff do you have in terms of expansions? Even with base some combos are relatively easy, for example having wedge with biggs taking up his shots. I personally like the etanh (e-wing) and ten numb (b-wing) combo. Airen Cracken (Z-95) is useful in quite a lot of lists since he can give out free actions.

I currently have one of everything except the rebel transport and tantive, and I don't really have any problem getting some doubles except for the retail availability of the models. I admit to diving more deeply into new hobbies than is necessary.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Caddrel posted:

Just for reference, are you playing mostly with friends who are also learning the game? Or playing with people at a game shop or other league? If it's just with friends, I can sympathize that it's hard to get started building squads with all the possibilities out there now. Even when I started and wave 3 had just come out, it seemed overwhelming.

Right now just with friends. The problem I have right now is that it seems like with empire it's easy enough to just pick a good ship, get a lot of it for cheap, and roll around in a wing with a couple synergies. Rebel seems more like it needs very tightly directed synergies in multiple directions with a lot of modifications. I don't know how right that is on either side. I also don't really know if any of these cards that look bad are actually bad or if there are some like... modification packs or something that work well with specific dudes. I'm trying to make little mini-combos in each ship and planning to use a couple ships in formation to capitalize on stuff but then when it gets on the table those formations break up pretty quick.

Seems like it's just a really deep game to be honest.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Leo Showers posted:

What list are you musing right now? I'm really interested because I usually find it's Empire which gets beaten when people are new to the game (assuming both players are new).

I don't really have a list I'm looking at using. I can tell you though that so far every game I've played has been won by Empire because of stats. Like the first game I played with one of my friends we did 50 points, and I intentionally took the Falcon just to teach that friend the lesson that, even though he's like "Aw you took the big ship guess I'm gonna lose," I lost that game because he had 2 interceptors and could hit me for 3 and I could only block 1. The difference between each point of attack and defense is pretty staggering.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Tekopo posted:

Who were you using? Was it just a naked Han Solo? Cause even then you should have been able to dispatch 2 inties relatively easily with a YT-1300, especially since the inties can't evade your firing arcs. The difference between 6 total hull for an intie and 5 shields/8 hull for the YT is quite considerable.

It was Chewbacca with some upgrades. He may have just gotten lucky on dice, I got a hit on him but they tore me apart, and I'm ok with that. The important part to me is that we both came away with the idea that the game is good and we should play more. Now I just dunno what to take in the next game. Maybe I'm thinking there's more to combos than there actually is, but I keep running into problems like uhh

Garvan Dreis: After spending a focus token, you may place that token on any other friendly ship at Range 1-2 (instead of discarding it). + Deadeye on his buddy allows you to use a focus token in place of a Target Lock. So I want to take focus on both, spend Garvan's token, then drop a Target Lock attack on someone with a focus available for the roll in the same turn. But in order to do that, Garvan has to shoot before the person who would take Garvan's focus token, meaning they have to shoot after Garvan, but Garvan only has 6 pilot skill, so finding exactly the right pilot and ship to do that for is getting rough.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

What is this storage method you have? I am using KR Multicase stuff so far and it's working really well but I'm always interested in storage methods

adamantium|wang posted:

A better way would be to give Garven just a standard R2 unit and to stick some extra Flechette Torpedoes on the Y or strip all the warheads and use the points to get Blount or Cracken if you had a Z-95 as well.

I'll probably do this as I have that option

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Indolent Bastard posted:

Any rumors on when restocks are expected in the US? I don't like the idea of paying $50 for a Falcon on eBay rather than $20 from CSI.

I got mine through this

http://www.gamestop.com/toys/x-wing-millennium-falcon-expansion-pack/110182

30 bucks total, and free shipping above 25 bucks. It's retail price, but if you are willing to drop the extra 10 instead of waiting and needing to clear 100 bucks to get free shipping, it's an option.

• Locked thread