Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Chill la Chill posted:

Right. I was responding to what a lot of people have been saying which is that the TIE fighter is just a repainted mini. It isn't, but you really can't tell it isn't unless you look at two tiny engine slits on the back (they are vertical instead of horizontal), so it doesn't really matter. Too many people have already repainted their ships to look like the new TIE-FOs and FFG has always been pretty liberal with their conversion policies so I can't see this being enforced unless they crack down hard on acceptable aftermarket conversions.

Oh? I haven't even studied the TIEs — when I see “different engines” in relation to Ep7, I just immediately think about the T-70 and that old painting.

Time to dig up some -FO photos, I guess.

canyoneer posted:

McQuarrie concept art seems to be a never-ending well of "new" concepts
Eh. There are worse wells to draw from and at least it retains the aesthetic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Tacopocalypse posted:

http://imgur.com/a/2gLdf

This gallery compares the old and new TIEs, X-Wing, and Asteroids.

Looks like there's a fair amount of difference in the detailing on the pod, too, but you have to look for it. It's more streamlined and less busy in how the pylons connect to the body. Still nothing you'd see at arm's length.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

parabolic posted:

And if you want to imitate the effect, look into tilt-shift photography.

…and as an example of what tilt-shift (and time lapse) can give you, watch this: https://vimeo.com/3156959 (not even SW-related).

It's all down to how we have come to associate a particular depth-of-field look to miniature/macro photography. The interesting bit is in how you have to reverse the optical effect in order to make miniatures look full-scale.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

The colour options may be ever so slightly silly, but replacement bases and pegs. Hell yes!

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Xenomrph posted:

Wait, what are shapeways?

http://www.shapeways.com/search?q=x-wing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

They've already introduced the Star Destroyer from the Droids Cartoon to Armada, so I wonder when they'll get around to putting this in X-Wing

What ships from the EU do you guys want to see in the game?

…but a more probable, shoe-like shape.

• Locked thread