Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

jivjov posted:

With how big X-Wing is, I wasn't gonna put Armada stuff in the OP. If someone makes a thread for it, I'll totally put a link to it in the OP though.

Has anyone nailed down a release date on Armada yet? I assume they're not selling stuff at GenCon, but then again, they're selling Wave 5 earlier than I thought they would be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

Chill la Chill posted:

I talked to a couple guys during the tournament tonight and they confirm that Hsu is a dick. Never seen him at a tournament around here so he probably moved out of the NoVA area, thank god.

Where do you guys play mostly? I moved away from the area just as I was getting into X-Wing, but I think I may be back in a few months.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

Icon Of Sin posted:

This was my X-Wing story too. I played Imperial Guard in 40k, I could roll 90 dice for a single unit of guardsmen if they all lived long enough to shoot at something :negative:

I've heard people complain about running a 6 strong TIE swarm and I just laugh at them and tell them about my foot slogging guard army.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

Leo Showers posted:

It must be hard to hit a 0 agility ship.

Yeah, I much prefer point Blount w. Ion Pulse at Soontir or something else that lives or dies one actions and movement and is usually hard to hit.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

Strobe posted:

For the Store championships in this area, I'm going to be running a modified version of my league tournament build (currently in the semis, out of a four round tournament).

Biggs Darklighter (25)
R2-D2 (4)

Wedge Antilles (29)
Squad Leader (2)

Corran Horn (35)
Fire Control System (2)
Marksmanship (3)

Total: 100

Thoughts?

Is R2-D2 on Biggs working out for you? Biggs usually eats it so early, I don't know that the shield regen makes sense on him.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

Strobe posted:

In both of the previous games in this single-elimination tournament, Biggs has survived until the end of the game. Between the two games, he has regenerated 18 shields.

I would say that yes, R2 is working well on him.

The trick is to avoid using him as a team-wide damage sink until he dies. Use him to force the enemy to split fire. Have Biggs take the first round of firing. Then let Corran take a shot from a ship or two, while Biggs keeps up with Wedge (typically I have Wedge K-turn and Biggs go straight so they're at the same spot, but going opposite directions). Next turn, Biggs peels off to cover Corran while Wedge goes off on his own for a turn. Turn three, Biggs turns back around to get Wedge in cover, and Corran swings around just close enough to get in on the action. Biggs has by now regenerated three shields and is at full, while both of my other ships have taken 1-3 points of damage, if I'm flying well.

Interesting. I still have yet to get the hang of running Rebels with any reliability, but this will hopefully come in handy, thanks.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

So last night I ran:

Rear Admiral Chrianeau w/ Expose
2x Royal Guard Pilots w/ PtL

Ended up that of the 5 players who showed up, 4 of us were running Decimators, and the 5th was running Chewie, so the RGPs weren't hugely successful.

Has anyone run Chrianeau with Expose and Experimental Interface? Thinking about it last night, getting that extra action would be huge between Expose and his ability.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Defender is pretty drat solid. With those 3s down the line it can really take some fire and return as well. The White K-turn is fun and when you're in a situation where you need it, it's great. I'm a huge Rexler Brath fan, with the HLC. The biggest problem with the Defender in my opinion is the cost. It's really easy to run out of points to use pretty quick.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

Yeah, a swarm can be a solid counter against YTs.

Against a 2 YT list, killing 1 quickly is always preferable to injuring both. -1300s are usually built for durability, with Chewie, Falcon/C3PO, or R2D2 or all of the above. I've seen Fat Hans and Fat Chewies limp around the map on 2 hull and a shield for turns.

Most -2400 builds I've seen are less durable, with a focus on flying on the flanks or the edges of the map, taking potshots in.

In an ideal world, you'd be able to close to R1 with one of the two YTs quickly, finish it off while losing not too many TIEs and then turn to face the remaining one.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

My FLGS is running a sort of fun casual event tomorrow night

quote:

Rogues Rule The Galaxy
59 point maximum fleet size. You must use at least one rebel ship and one Imperial. "Rebel Only" cards are allowed on Imperial ships. Twelve asteroids placed anywhere on the board except within range 1 of each player edge. Placement within range 1 of a non-player edge is allowed. They may not be placed within range one of another asteroid. A standard 3'x3' play area is used and there is a 60 minute time limit.

I think "Imperial Only" will be allowed on Rebel ships as well, but I'm not sure. Early ideas I've had include squeezing a YT-1300 in, along with some scrub TIE, or running Etahn with 2 Academy Pilots, flying formation. Anyone have any experience with this sort of (goofy) format?

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

Proxying anything at a Store Championship isn't legal, AFAIK.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

http://www.avclub.com/article/rip-star-wars-actor-richard-bonehill-214906

I wonder how many people run Nien Nunb at my FLGS Store Championship tomorrow in memoriam.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

Store Championship starts in 2 hours- am I crazy to run with:

quote:

Omicron Group Pilot

Bounty Hunter

Patrol Leader w/ Darth Vader, Rebel Captive

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

Ended up going Rear Admiral/Whisper instead. Went 2-0 and then a very bad 0-2 before deciding not to wait around the extra hour for round 5. Had about 20 players out here- more variety than I expected. When I left the 2 undefeated players were going at it- both running identical Fat Hans w/ Corran.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

There's a big distinction between deliberate slow play and playing keep away, which is important. One is decidedly unsporting, while the other can be a lot of fun for both players.

An example of the fun one- in my second game on Saturday I killed off dude's 2 Blue Sq. Pilots really quickly, then managed to drive my Decimator off the board, as I'm a dummy. The game then came down to me chasing Chewie around the board with Whisper. That was relatively entertaining. My opponent could have simply slowed down his decision making and slow played for the modified win- as I'd lost more points than him, but that would have been a pretty miserable 50 minutes.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

nahanahs posted:

How bad an idea is it to fly Chiraneau without Ysanne?

Medium. I think it can be worth it in the right list. If you are going with her, I think it's probably wise to go with the full build- Ysanne, PTL (or EI, I think) and Engine Upgrade.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

alg posted:

Is the Imperial Raider coming out before next month or do y'all play with proxies in tournaments?

I don't think any officially sanctioned FFG tournament allows proxies, but at my FLGS on casual nights usually people are pretty chill about trying things out that aren't yet released.

Veritek83 fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Mar 7, 2015

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

I'm moving to Richmond VA in two weeks so 1.) I may try and make the drive down to Raleigh for regionals, 2.) I'm going to be in DC/Fairfax on a pretty regular basis for work so I'll definitely make it to some Nova Squadron stuff, 3.) anybody have a sense of what Richmond's stores are like? I've taken a look on the FFG forums and it seems like there isn't much of an X-Wing scene, but stores have run stuff in the past.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

I think it's pretty likely we see an X-Wing title sometime soon, maybe XJ or T-65AC4. Don't think it'll be a primary weapon boost though I guess there's some fluff justification with stutter fire of the lasers?

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

Engine Upgrade is the one that I think really ought to come in something other than the Falcon. Then again, you get 2 and most people are going to end up buying the YT-1300 anyway.

I'd be pretty pissed if ship + card expansion prices started going up in order to subsidize card only packs.

At the end of the day, I think it's a pretty small slice of the market that both 1.) plays tournaments and therefore can't proxy cards and 2.) isn't buying at least one of everything. Those folks largely seem content to go to eBay, trade with friends or whatever to get what they need.

Would I like to see card only packs? Sure, why not(from the consumer perspective)?

Does it seem like it'd be a huge money maker for FFG and they're shooting themselves in the foot by not doing it? Not particularly.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

Chill la Chill posted:

Same old. I've been painting up another Z so I could call them rainbow warriors.

Pics please.

On the topic of cash prize support- I'd be a-ok with FFG stepping in and saying "hey, none of that for store championships or regionals." If a store wants to just run some tournament of their own and have cash prizes, ok, but it seems to me like making it a normal thing for store champs and regionals is a surefire way to make "fly casual" a thing of the past.

enigmahfc posted:

I liked the way this one TO did it at one of the recent store tournaments I went to:
He took all the prize stuff, and make small piles according to how many players there were. Three piles had store gift cards (like $50 - $30 - $20), all piles had alt art Soontir Fel, a lot of the piles had the dice bags, and all others had what seemed like random promo stuff like acrylic cloak tokens, Range Rulers, Alt art cards like Nien Numb and Bombers and poo poo. First place picked the pile he wanted, then second picked and so on.

This is basically how my old FLGS handled things that weren't the store championship or Imdaar Alpha. I think it's great, especially with a smaller store or one with a growing X-Wing scene of folks who may not have had access to a ton of prize support previously.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

Having just moved back east (Richmond) I may try and make it down there, also possibly to WV. Kinda wish there was a DMV/NoVA area one, but having two regionals within a day's drive is pretty great.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

Chill la Chill posted:

Yeah. Either games and stuff or game parlor would be perfect but nope. You'd think FFG would also recognize how much of a contribution to the community nova squad has done. Anyway, what store do you play at? I went to some store at a strip mall next to a really fancy Arby's and I heard the store had some drama and changing of hands. Is that store still around?

I just moved down here last week, so I have very little clue as to where is good/where is not. One Eyed Jacques is the closest place to me and they've got casual _____-Wing night on Thursdays, so I think I'm going to check that out tonight. There are a couple of other places just outside town that may or may not have X-Wing folks.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

I agree with the distaste for the TIE Punisher and K-Wing, aesthetically, but the sheer batshit, "let's use these obscure ships from the rear end end of the EU" mentality is pretty great. What I do think is interesting is that we're seeing wave 7 now, with what I'd guess is a late Q2, early Q3 release. That means, I'm guessing, that wave 8 is going to be the wave with the first of the new trilogy ships- presumably a T-70 X-Wing, and maybe an updated TIE Fighter?

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

Chill la Chill posted:

Has anyone played with Vassal before? I see there's a bunch of files but don't know where to start. I haven't used open source stuff in a while.

I haven't used Vassal in some time- at least a few versions of the X-Wing module previous, as I think they're on 5.2 or 5.3 now. There was a good intro guide page somewhere that should still be relevant. Overall, it's good, but the setup time is a bit long and generally it can be a finicky. I wouldn't want to try using it with a trackpad instead of a mouse.

I think muon from Team Covenant has changed it at this point so all you need to get is the main module and then maybe map packs, instead of before where you had to get files for each expansion ship.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

I'm very, very excited to see what the the Ion Engine upgrade in the TIE Punisher is, as hopefully it'll serve as a Defender fix. Based on one offhand comment Alex Davy made, I'm thinking it will.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

yellowjournalism posted:

But yeah the thing to X-wing Vassal is to not waste time with all the doodads. You can simulate your tabletop experience as much as you want but ultimately you don't need to use all the tokens and chits and cards and poo poo. And you shouldn't ever break out a maneuver template unless you're resolving collision (the collision guides are pretty loving handy though).

edit: Also, I play exclusively on the trackpad on my macbook and have no problems. Right click in Vassal is ⌘+click though, which is weird.

Yeah, understanding that a huge chunk of stuff- like movement templates- isn't necessary to play is big. Thinking about it, my real difficulty with the trackpad probably had more to do with my display settings and not having a good view of everything.

I think it may be time to install Vassal on my new machine.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

grassy gnoll posted:

Wanna make sure I'm using Jake Farrell the right way.

As I understand it, this works: Jake, with PTL, moves without provoking stress. I can then take an action, then trigger PTL to focus, then he can boost or barrel roll, and then he takes a stress token, correct?

Come to think of it, is there anything preventing me from using his action to boost, PTL -> focus, then boost again?

So I forget the exact wording on Jake's ability, but I'm pretty sure the answer is no, as you can't ever take the same action more than once in a turn.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

HerraS posted:

Krassis Trelix + HLC

This I think is the really problematic part of the list- Imperial Firesprays aren't seeing much use, at least in my experience, and if they are it's a BH, maybe with Recon Spec, along with at least one other big base ship. Even that's not something I'd say is common.

Howlrunner and some other TIE Fighters is still a viable building block, but I don't think Krassis provides either enough durability or killing power to serve as an effective counterpart. If you're set on using 4 TIE Fighters and a Firespray, I think Howlrunner, Mauler, Dark Curse, Backstabber and a naked BH would be a better bet.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

Cobbsprite posted:

If you're going to start out playing a similarly-matched new player, I actually recommend doing a mirror match. Falcon and Slave aren't really an even match for a small handful of reasons, but you have X-wings and TIE Fighters. I recommend you fly 1v1 X-wings, 2v2 TIE Fighters, and then X-wing vs TIE Fighters.

Yeah, I think this is pretty solid advice in terms of first games. A lot of my gaming group kind of got locked into the Rebels v. Empire mindset from the start, which has really kind of limited the development of both lists and how they're flying. I think favoring one faction over another in terms of purchases makes a lot of sense for some players, but not having ever played one faction or another can really skew how you learn to play.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

Raleigh was the one with the abnormally high entry fee, followed by the cash prize support, followed by getting rid of both of those things, right?

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

bunnyofdoom posted:

Well, to be fair, the KKK is composed of rednecks from trailer parks without much money. The real big money racists instead buy GOP presidential canddiates.
:iceburn:

I think there's a distinct difference between store credit and cash though, right? What if the store you travel 8 hours to, to win their store credit prize, doesn't have what you want? Cash seems like a step beyond that, even if it's only a small incremental one.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

Chill la Chill posted:

Im leaving tomorrow with a friend for Raleigh so i don't have to do a 5 hour drive Saturday morning. Any cool places I should visit or eat @ while I'm there (if I have time)? I look forward to seeing those of you who are also going. :3:

I just realized it's only a 2.5 hour drive for me. Think I'm going to call tomorrow and see if any spots have opened up. Never done a Regional before and Pittsburgh is still more than a month out.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

TARDISman posted:

Happy Father's Day, dad, I bought a TIE Phantom for your imperial loving rear end to screw me over with.

Not to get in the middle of a family thing, but good. Use your aggressive feelings, boy. Let the hate flow through you.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

I like Lightning Reflexes a lot- for 1 pt it seems like maybe it sees some play on those odd generics that have the EPT slot. A-Wings maybe?

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Gate posted:

It's another issue of opportunity costs. There's a lot of things that can go in EPT that are hard to pass over for a once per game effect. It's pretty good, but it really seems like it would work best on a high PS pilot that can really get the most out of choosing when to flip around, and those pilots often want a stronger EPT I think.

Still, for 1 point it's not bad, and like inertial dampers it will force your opponent to play around it until it's used.

Good point on PS. That said, I think this is probably a better 1 pt. option on Green Squadrons running A-Wing Test Pilot than VI. Not that the meta is thick with those in the first place, but I wouldn't be shocked to see 2 of them with a 54 pt. Mango-Dash. Seems like it might be fun.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

Feeple posted:

What's AC in the context of tournament events?

Air conditioning is my bet- just think about all that nerd mass crammed into a store for a whole summer's day.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

In a general X-Wing sense, though, it's Accuracy Corrector.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

I'm thinking about making the drive up from Richmond, but it's somewhat dependent on work concerns. Hopefully will know by Thursday if I can be out of pocket all day Saturday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

Chill la Chill posted:

Yeah. Lost against double IGs even though he made a couple questionable moves I didn't fully exploit. There was a lack of imperial lists in the tournament and everyone was running dash/chewy plus Corran. I had to fight two during the preliminaries. Our friends who played the Baron or phantom were X-2 (so out of contention) within 4 rounds. One was out in 3.

E: at least I got a neat battle foam kit for my minis. It's v big and for wave 1-4 so it'll suit my fat Han list nicely. Z's fit well in the x wing slots. There was a giant cookie for first. :/

Congrats. Dude who won was MajorJuggler, the mathwing guy, right?

• Locked thread