Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Leo Showers posted:

Speaking of Rebel Aces, will pimped up B-Wing/E2's be even that great? Phantoms are a thing now and they are pretty great for being able to murder slower single starfighters with limited firing arcs. I mean they'd be great if it was pre-Wave 4 meta because B-Wings were pretty top poo poo, this is really the only B-Wing I'm not looking forward to facing

:eyepop:

e: Just to be clear, it basically means you can potentially hamper Phantoms with Flechette (or Ion) Torpedoes.
Both of the new B-wing pilots are pretty OP, Farlander basically can turn stress into offensive focus tokens:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I really want something to try the autoblaster YT-2400 and report back myself.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I think with the PtL/Engine Upgrade/Autoblaster YT-2400 I would rather drop to Leebo (more survivable) and have Nien Numb as crew in order to alleviate the issues with the PtL. Thanks for giving it a try :). Will try it myself and see if I can tinker a bit with the setup to see what works.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Huge asteroid worm confirmed in the next wave.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Leo Showers posted:

Lmao at the projecting that ACD should be banned too.

Is this real life?
Is this just fantasy?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

nahanahs posted:

This is only 94 points (or I'm bad at math). Did you leave something out?

Also, for clarification, does Dash's ability make asteroids/debris totally irrelevant for him, or am I missing something?
He still takes into account asteroids in the combat phase (unless it is specifically an action in the combat phase).

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

If you want the shuttle to get stuck in, maybe put a weapons engineer and a Fire Control on it? That way, you attack, you get a lock on something, FCS gets you the lock on the ship and, thanks to ST-321, a lock on anything else on the board. This way you don't actually need to use a lock action to manage to have the synergy with Vessery. I'd drop the Anti Pursuit Laser, though.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

ST-321 kind of works with the Lamba/Vessery combo because you aren't really getting the lock for the shuttle but more to provide it to Vessery instead. It just means that you don't have to worry about the positioning of the Lambda in order to give Vessery the free lock and you can use it to attack people that might otherwise purposefully avoid the shuttle (which isn't hard).

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Did a couple of games and got to try a couple of lists that I have been meaning to try.

First game was:
Omicron Group Pilot (21)
Advanced Sensors (3)
Engine Upgrade (4)
ST-321 (3)

Colonel Vessery (35)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Heavy Laser Cannon (7)

Academy Pilot (12)

Academy Pilot (12)

Total: 98

It went against (iirc) a Soontir with PtL (might have had something else), a naked Bounty Hunter and Echo with VI and ACD. I only lost a single TIE, with the shuttle taking no damage and the defender going into shields, after I managed to get a lucky shot on Soontir and then took down Echo using the Defender by bumping him with the shuttle/remaining TIE Fighter. I was impressed by the synergy between the shuttle and Vessery and I'm getting to like Defenders quite a lot now.

Second game I went for a crazy list (I use a proxy for the YT-2400 because I don't have it yet):

"Leebo" (34)
Push the Limit (3)
Autoblaster (5)
Nien Nunb (1)
Engine Upgrade (4)
Outrider (5)

Corran Horn (35)
Marksmanship (3)
Fire-Control System (2)
R2-D2 (4)
Shield Upgrade (4)

Total: 100

This went against 3 Academy TIEs, Dark Curse and Krassis with HLC and I can't remember the EPT. Leebo got stuck in and managed to destroy one TIE with the autoblaster and damage another, but then I flew him in an asteroid and he died without being able to fire back. By this time Corran had gone down to 1 shield but had managed to finish off another TIE, leaving the situation at Dark Curse (undamaged), a damaged Academy and Krassis (undamaged). After managing to take out the Academy and gaining back his shield thanks to R2-D2, Krassis ended up on an asteroid after a turn, which allowed Corran to get a range 1 double-shot using marmanship, getting the Firespray down to 2 hull. Some more jostling occurred and Corran was able to take down the Firespray, which just left Dark Curse who eventually went down as well.

I still liked the Autoblaster 2400 but it has its limitations and it is a lot of points for something that is only slightly survivable. I was really impressed by Corran though, he really pulled his weight.

Tekopo fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Aug 30, 2014

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Leo Showers posted:

I've been seeing Shuttle + Vessery lists recently and it does look really promising.
Having an almost guaranteed target lock for Vessery isn't bad at all and that along with the HLC seemed to work really well.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Ion torpedo should be pretty good.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I know that T/Bs aren't great as a whole and that advanced torps are pretty crappy due to their range, but is the T/B pilot that increases range viable with them? The only issue is that you still need a way to get both a target lock and a focus before you can really fire them.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Currently the meta for empire is either TIE Fighter swarms or a Phantom or two. They both require a decent amount of skill to pull off because the swarms rely on formation flying while the Phantom need to know where to decloak so that they don't get caught in firing arcs. The new stuff is going to shake stuff up with the new Imperial big ship and the other two big ships and especially the Firespray can allow you to play around with the meta as well.

The rebels have a whole lost of list-building potentials and there is really quite a lot of different combos that work well with them. The meta at the moment is to have at least one, if not two, Millenium Falcons flying around. There are a lot of other options however: b-wings are good and are going to get better in the future once Rebel Aces is out, A-wing are mediocre but will get a lot better with Rebel Aces, x-wings have decent pilots. The old meta for the rebels was XXBB and you usually almost always want to have the B-wings with advanced sensors.

How much stuff do you have in terms of expansions? Even with base some combos are relatively easy, for example having wedge with biggs taking up his shots. I personally like the etanh (e-wing) and ten numb (b-wing) combo. Airen Cracken (Z-95) is useful in quite a lot of lists since he can give out free actions.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

YT-2000? Could it be possible?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Yeah the YT-2400 and YT-2000 are kind of lazy designs tbh (although I have a softspot for the YT-2400). I just remember playing X-Wing Alliance when I was young so there's that connection for me.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I think the Lambda really becomes easier to fly once you strap engine upgrades and advanced sensors on it. You can almost got 180 degrees with it once you do that by boosting 1 bank first and then doing a 2 sharp turn!

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Who were you using? Was it just a naked Han Solo? Cause even then you should have been able to dispatch 2 inties relatively easily with a YT-1300, especially since the inties can't evade your firing arcs. The difference between 6 total hull for an intie and 5 shields/8 hull for the YT is quite considerable.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

If you are playing casual, just proxy in R2-D6 (gives you EPT for 1 point) and then get Veteran Instinct to boost that to PS 8. Also deadeye only works for Torpedoes/Missiles (if you are starting out I would avoid these completely).

I find that smaller synergies (for example, having Biggs fly next to someone with a lot of damage potential) are more useful than elaborate combos that stop being viable as soon as poo poo hits the fan.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

The A-wings are going to be worth it with rebel aces and the A-wing has pretty much the best dial in the game.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

That's why I'm looking forward to Rebel Aces: you can either take Proton Rockets (although it costs 5 points to do so, but they've worked well when I proxied them in) or you can go slightly crazy and take experimental interface/a-wing prototype pilot/ptl/expose and you essentially have a much more maneuverable x-wing that can change from an a-wing to an x-wing and back more or less at will. Slap that on to Tycho and you pretty have a machine that can do anything, doesn't care about stress and only costs 34 points.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I still find it weird that they introduced the best missile for A-wings and chaardan at the same time. I almost feel like chaardan should have been a modification rather than a missile slot taker. I don't understand the need to make missiles even less worth taking on an a-wing.

Edit: And yeah, nobody said massed Green Squadron Pilots would suck :v:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

alg posted:

I'm a Doubting Goon. It might be OK, but with no access to re-rolls those 2 attack dice are gonna lose you lots of games.
Just target lock? Isn't that access to re-rolls? With PtL you should be able to boost + TL or focus + TL.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I almost wish they had done -1 dice for firing outside the front arc for 360 degree weapons or something along those lines.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Which is why I said almost. I think its fine now considering that the Phantom is out. I would have liked if there was an incentive to use the front firing arc of the falcon, that's all.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

jivjov posted:

The Tantive capture was an inside job! :tinfoil:
obligatory posting of this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dvv-Yib1Xg

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I always feel like that if you are going for a swarm of inties, you might as well go 4xRGPs with PtL, since it gives you the maneuverability and staying power you need thanks to the double actions pretty much every single turn. Also PS6 is pretty great as well. I don't really know if an extra Intie is worth not having PtL on all of your dudes.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Poopy Palpy posted:

The issue with 4xRGP is buying a second Imperial Aces when you bought 4xInterceptors before you knew that Aces was going to be a thing. Even though it's your favorite Star Wars ship ever, it's hard to justify owning 8.
Yeah, that's the main issue I have as well, I had two Inties and then bought Imperial Aces as well. To be fair, if I wanted to play casual, I would just proxy and if I didn't, I can probably borrow the extra two RGPs cards/tokens if I need them.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

StuG Jeebus posted:

I fly this a lot but I feel like I really struggle against higher-skill pilots that can barrel roll or boost.
You could do a soontir with PtL and targeting comp, two RGPs with PtL and an alpha if you wanted to stick to four inties. At that point you might as well get phantoms though :shrug:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

The Gate posted:

Pretty huge difference in pilot skills between the basic Phantoms and the RG Interceptors, though. Not to mention Fel.
It'd probably be best just going for Whisper with VI/ACD, echo with VI/ACD and fill up on academy pilots. Low PS Inties and low PS phantoms suffer from the same problem really.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I will bet you anything that it was done to avoid having the entire tourney be Echos with VI and ACD. It's still really terrible number of points.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Where abouts in the UK are you? In London you should be able to go to Orc's Nest or Leisure Games and they have most stuff there. I would strongly suggest getting another X-Wing expansion if you don't have one already since it opens up the options in terms of X-wing pilots, including Wedge, probably the best x-wing pilot in the game. B-wings are also nice and I would take one over a Y-wing but it really depends on what style of list you like flying.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Is it worth getting the TIE Advanced just for Squad Leader? I'm not a huge fan of the ship which is why it's the only one I don't have (apart from the Tantive IV). I wouldn't mind trying it out but at least once though.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

So Farlander with HLC/PtL/Advanced Sensors is extremely good. I fought against Jake as well and yeah, he's pretty much a Soontir, but with two EPT slots.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Soulex posted:

Target lock stays on until it's used, but does this mean that if I have a target lock on someone I am unable to perform an action while it is still up?

Cloaking just adds 2 to evasive, not lose target lock correct?

Spending target lock lets you reroll any amount of dice right?

The Ion cannon (we had a small discussion on this) when it hits, means that he can no longer attack on that turn if he attacks second correct?

How are the Falcon and the Slave 1? He really wants to get a Slave 1, as do I, but 50 something dollars is a pretty big investment on something that might not be worth it to us.

We're really excited about Armada. Well, I am at least. My main goal when he told me about this was to fight in a Star Destroyer (favorite ship ever in any sci-fi universe. The shape, size, and firepower is nuts). If Armada doesn't have Admiral Thrawn or something like that, I'll be disappointed. Not too disappointed, but at least a little twinge of "awwww :ohdear:"
In order:

No, Yes, Yes, Ion cannons have no effect on firing, the Falcon and Slave 1 are pretty good

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Soulex posted:

So, if I have that card that gives me a target lock after I attack someone for free, I need to lose it to use advance marksmanship. Thanks

So he can still attack if I ionize him? What the world!? So what's the point of using Ion cannon then, if it hits and all dice are canceled, I only do one damage as opposed to hitting him and possibly doing more with target lock/advanced marksmanship
No, you don't need to lose it. Targets lock remain until used or until you get a target lock on another ship. They aren't affected by other actions.

Ion cannons are useful because you know exactly what the enemy is going to do next round. You can even walk people off the board if you keep hitting. It's extremely useful to just to have the opportunity to stick behind someone and essentially neutralize him.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Well, you can ion him, it forces him to do a 1 speed straight next round and then you k-turn behind him. I don't understand what you mean by 'target locks negating damage', TLs can only be used when attacking to re-roll, not defending.

You don't need to barrel roll to get rid of cloak tokens. You can decide to get rid of them before you move in order to decloak and get the 2 speed boost/barrel roll immediately before you actually do the movement on your movement dial.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I can see why you did it, but not getting PtL on Tycho kind of feels wrong to me, considering his special ability is made to exploit PtL as much as possible.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

alg posted:

This is kind of an insane post. TIE Swarm isn't really the "best" way to go for Imperials, especially as a new player. It is expensive and requires a lot of practice. Soontir Fel is one of the, if not the best, pilots in the game, and at 27 points is a steal. Pilot skill is huge now and he is one of the best, with a great ability, a great dial, barrel roll and boost, 3 defense dice and 3 attack dice. Calling him worse than Tycho is just :psyduck: Saying Interceptors are over-costed...Royal Guard Pilots are one of the best values in the game.

Naked shuttles like Yorr work great now after the Phantom joined the game. Even a Shuttle with Vader aboard is a great use of points. YT-1300 has a ton of options, just like the Decimator.
Tycho easily has more pilot skill than Fel, because he can always use that second EPT to get VI, pushing him up to 10 PS. Since Fel needs to get PtL, it means that Tycho post Rebel Aces will always have more PS on a Fel. And if getting to PS 10 isn't important for the Tycho player, he can always get another EPT rather than VI. A Tycho with Chaardan, VI and PtL will set you back 28 over 30 points for a Fel with PtL.

In terms of difference between them, you have 2 shields/2 hull vs 3 hull (shield is much better than hull on all accounts, for a start), same dial but 5 green on the A-wing, Fel having a comparable ability to Tycho (EI will make Tycho a whole lot better because he can forget about the stress action economy), either higher PS or more flexibility on EPT on Tycho, 3 attack dice over 2 for the A-wing (this is a considerable advantage though) and the ability to barrel roll for the intie (a considerable advantage for the tie interceptor), the A-wing having a targeting computer (a considerable advantage, although this can be circumvented for two additional points on the intie) and the fact that the intie can take two modifications (although this does increase the cost).

So really, the only advantages that Fel has over Tycho is the barrel roll and 3 attack dice, but with the disadvantages of less overall hitpoints (and having only hull), a insignificantly worse dial and either lower PS or less flexibility on EPTs.

If you compare to Jake Farrell to Fel, you have the same PS (if you take VI) and you remove the advantage of barrel rolling that the Intie has over the a-wing, for 26 over 30 points.

I think most of the inties that can take PtL are priced correctly, but any that can't I would agree are overcosted. There is no real reason to buy low PS inties or take any of the named pilots that don't have EPT.

Tekopo fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Oct 12, 2014

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

And I think you are undervaluing 2 shields/2 hull over 3 hull, or the ability to have two EPTs over just having one, especially with EI coming out soon. Like, I don't think I am undervaluing the 3 attack dice/ barrel roll for high PS inties, but for low one, would you really take an 18 point intie over a 12 point academy pilot? I think if there is no situation in which you would take one ship over another, that ship can be considered overcosted. The A-wing was certainly overcosted, hence why they brought out chaardan refit.

Also, I mentioned that I think that intie pilots with EPT are fine, which are all the ones which you probably mentioned are worth taking. Saying that Y-Wings aren't worth taking is like saying Bombers aren't worth taking, which is not what I am arguing here.

I can see why Ten Numb is overcosted though, although only in comparison to Farlander: two points for a shittier ability and only one more PS is a crappy deal, I agree.

EDIT: Also the barrel roll advantage is removed on Tycho if you take expert handling/EI on Tycho, although I guess by that point being 32 points might not be worth it, or just flying Jake, a pilot that has the ability to do three actions per turn much like Fel , has the same PS as Fel (if you take VI) and has barrel rolls, for 4 points less (i've included VI in this).

I think the driving point here is that some of the pilots in Rebel Aces are extremely good.

Tekopo fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Oct 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

alg posted:

It may be the prevalence of HLC in my meta (or that nobody plays Etahn Abaht). Cancelling one (perhaps two) possible crits isn't as valuable to me as firing with an extra die every time, especially with superior arc dodging.
I've had good stuff happening with Etahn Abaht/Ten Numb actually, but even that is with an HLC on Ten Numb. On the other hand, there is plenty of stuff out there that does damage without HLCs. I mean, the YT-1300 is still within the meta, the phantom doesn't have HLCs either. There's also the fact that the A-wing just straight off has one more hit point. You get unlucky against someone with high PS once in an intie once and you can potentially die (this is especially true because you can't boost the PS on an intie with VI).

Also, and I'll repeat it, I think the high PS pilots are fine and are pretty comparable to the price of A-wings.

quote:

This isn't as big a deal as it seems, though. This is true of every ship in the game. Who would ever take a Knave Squadron Pilot over a Rookie Pilot, even with Knave's barrel roll?
Maybe it's an argument against most low PS fighters then. It's just that with a TIE Interceptor costing 1 and a half TIE Fighters, there's never a reason to take the bigger ship because if you are making low PS swarms, its always preferable to have 3 Fighters over 2 Inties. This is maybe more about me wanting to be able to make intie swarms viable more than anything.

quote:

Interceptors have more options, though. Y-Wings pretty much just have Gold Squadron Pilot, which was what I was getting at.
Yeah, but I mentioned in my original post that I don't have a problem with those pilots. All I'm focusing on is the non-EPT named pilots and low PS pilots and what I'm trying to compare them to is other imperial ships (primarily TIE Fighters), rather than comparing them to Y-Wings. They aren't competing with Y-Wings for roster spots, after all.

I think the thing that hurts the TIE Interceptor especially is lack of access to EPT and inability to really make Intie swarms because at most you will be able to fit 5 of them in. This is probably a problem with all low PS fighters that rely on arc-dodging to get out of trouble. For the A-Wing, almost all of the pilots have access to EPT now and I think if a similar access had been granted to to the Intie it certainly make a lot more of the named pilots viable over what is currently happening.

quote:

Jake is definitely a cool pilot, but without Expose/PTL I doubt I would fly him again. Maybe Predator or Outmaneuver, I guess. The 2 attack dice has been crippling in every game I've flown him.
Expose is probably what I would fly him as. I've seen people flying him with proton rockets as well since it's so easy for him to get into range but 5 points is probably a bit steep for a one shot. I've seen him placed to good use dodging into range 1 (while staying out of arcs) and using his focus or even barrel rolling and getting focus + TL. I would almost rate him over Tycho but with EI coming out I'm just not sure anymore.

• Locked thread