Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

My flatmate got the Core Set today and I watched them play a game. It looks fun and I love Star Wars so I pretty much have to buy some. Thinking the Rebel Aces pack and an X-Wing....or maybe an E-Wing.

Is this one of those things where you start off buying 2 or 3 ships for a squadron and then 3 months later you have entire fleets for both sides?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

So what are the typical point values for games? I watched my flatmates play 100 points each and it was pretty interesting, they both had 3 ships so there was a fair bit going on. Does the game get better or worse when you add more points?

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Played a few games now. It's really fun and it's not even that expensive either.

Love the A-Wing and the E-Wing. Not too sure about the B-Wing but I haven't really tried out torps/missiles/secondary weapons yet. I figure I'll get an X-Wing and the Rebel Aces pack and that will be it for the Rebel side. Thinking one of those VT-49s and a bunch of cheap Tie Fighters would make for a fun Imperial fleet to play.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

susan posted:

Thanks guys :) ! Yeah, I'm strongly suspecting I'll pick up another starter pack shortly, and then maybe some random cool fighters here and there to fill things out.

I just started recently as well and the A-Wing is really fun. I'd say just buy any fighter you think looks cool and go from there.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Played 2 games with the Lambda so far and both times I've flown it off the board. To be fair one was due to a Y-Wing but yeah, I suck at flying this ship.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Tekopo posted:

I think the Lambda really becomes easier to fly once you strap engine upgrades and advanced sensors on it. You can almost got 180 degrees with it once you do that by boosting 1 bank first and then doing a 2 sharp turn!

That would be really cool. I guess that means I have to get a Falcon :smith: although the only reason I don't already have one is due to no stock.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

PJOmega posted:

Check your local Barnes & Nobles. They get Falcons regularly, I'm guessing because of inventory shifting.

I'm in New Zealand and I've checked most places, seems to be a shortage all around.

Has anyone ordered from http://www.miniaturemarket.com/ before? It's insanely cheap, will look into how much shipping will cost but I might use this place...

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Has it been confirmed that they are actually going to restock on ships?

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

jivjov posted:

Are you asking about a specific store? Or in general is FFG going to keep reprinting ships? To the latter, the answer is yes. FFG is super good about reprinting stuff forever, as long as its selling.

In general yeah. In my country(New Zealand) there's no X-Wings, Falcons or Interceptors anywhere. I did just find a site that may have 1 Falcon and X-Wing on it though so hopefully I can get those.

But that's good to know for the future, I guess I can stop worrying about trying to get certain ships.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

LoG posted:

I bought the core set and played two games last night with a buddy and holy poo poo this was probably the most fun I've ever had involving a table. The dogfighting was incredible and really felt like we were two pilots stalking each other down.

Then I did the most reasonable thing I could do by going to miniature market and buying one of every thing and a second core set from eBay. I have a problem.

Yeah you got a problem alright, you didn't get any foam trays :v:

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Do the Tantive and the Rebel Transport not actually move around the board?

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

What kind of movements is it? Kinda interested to see what one plays like...

edit: video of it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66wmDMf-jtQ

CODChimera fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Sep 19, 2014

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

susan posted:

I gotta be honest; I don't really get why people are going crazy over the leaked SW set pictures. Internet: "Click here to see what the Millenium Falcon looks like on the set of the new movies!" Me: "Wow, it looks... like the Millenium Falcon. It looks like it's always looked. Is it supposed to look different? No? Well then... good."

It is reassuring though.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Our order arrived from MinatureMart. Only took 8 or 9 days to get here which is pretty good. I got a Rebel Aces, the X-Wing from the Rebel Transport, an Interceptor from the Imperial Aces and another Aces A-Wing.

Can't wait to try them out! Hopefully I can get the Falcon from this other site and then it's probably time to stop buying ships for awhile.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Sigma-X posted:

Where are you finding US Falcons for something close to retail?

It and a HWK are the only ships I need to have 1 of everything.

Not the US. It's just a random small shop here in NZ that supposedly had one. I won't believe it until I actually have it though...

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Is Navigator not insanely good? Used it on my Falcon tonight and loved it.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

pbpancho posted:

Is anyone else going to be at Worlds this week? I'm in Flight 1 tomorrow.

Will there be a stream?

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Does anyone have a time frame for when they will reveal the next wave?

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Oh my god. I've resisted getting a Transport or Tantive yet but I'm gonna need one of those.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I know the Scum and Villainy stuff is coming out and now we have the huge Imp ship, but have they discussed anything else for the future? It seems like every miniatures game I get into eventually loses steam and dries up after a year or two.

Another faction and an Imperial huge ship should keep things going for awhile. I am curious to see the direction they head into after that though. Do they have another wave of all Scum? or split it up between each faction?

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

I hope they handle it that way rather than an entire wave for one faction.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

I want to get some Armada but it'll probably depend on how much Scum ships I end up getting. And then there's the Raider coming out ugh...maybe I should skip Armada...

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

AndyElusive posted:

If I'm thinking of grabbing a Falcon from B&N, are there any other starfighters I should try grabbing that are going to be pretty hard to find later? The A-Wing? The Firespray?

Just get them all to be safe.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

I would love those X-Wing upgrades. The lack of Boost/Barrel Roll on Rebel ships is so annoying.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Wouldn't Adv. Sensors be better than the Z95?

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Ugh I still haven't ordered anything.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

I'd love to paint my blue A-Wings green. But what if I mess it up?

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

alg posted:

I'm guessing it will be limited to 64 at the most. That gets everyone a Boba Fett card. I want the shield tokens so I have to play well and not drop. :smith:

I've never played this game outside of with friends but I really want that card.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

I just wish there was a 4 or 5 skill generic A-Wing pilot.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

So you can boost/barrel roll through other ships as long as you clear it? We've been boosting/barrel rolling where you couldn't let the maneuver template hit anything either.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

DasHangman posted:

I picked up the X-Wing Core Set today! I had been debating it for months. I am hopefully going to play a quick start game tomorrow. Moving forward, though, is there anything in particular a new player should know? Do different factions favor different tactics? Are there any "must have" ships?

Help me, goons. You're my only hope.

Play with the core set, then buy 1 or 2 other ships that you like the look/sound of then play with those. Don't go and buy everything all at once.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

alg posted:

I haven't played with the new Epic rules but prior to the latest FAQ the Corvette was garbage. Hitting anything was laughable and it took a ton of energy just to fire. It's way over cost compared to the Raider :/

What got changed?

The Rebel Transport is great and can do a lot of different things, seen that win quite often. The CR-90 just seems like a massive waste of points though. It destroys Decimators but then it's not doing a whole lot else.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

I can't wait to see what they actually do.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

alg posted:

these people are crazy.

I only play for fun, so I just proxy any ships, dials, or cards I want.

Whats so crazy about that guy?

So far I'm only interested in the two scum ships. How long is it usually before we get some stats and info about them?

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Endman posted:

I'm really really hoping there's some kind of X-Wing fix packaged with the K-Wing. An upgrade card of some description, I mean.

That would be really annoying. They just need to do more Aces packs and leave the fixes for those.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Endman posted:

Is it just me, or would this list be stupidly powerful and also fun as hell to play?

N'Dru Suhlak (17)
Lone Wolf (2)
"Hot Shot" Blaster (3)
Kavil (24)
Opportunist (4)
Autoblaster Turret (2)
Unhinged Astromech (1)
Engine Upgrade (4)
Palob Godalhi (20)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Blaster Turret (4)
Outlaw Tech (2)
Kaa'To Leeachos (15)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Total: 100

I'm enjoying Kavil in the couple of games I've played with him. Is Opportunist going to be that good though? I really liked using PtL.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

The expansion sets will probably have 2 named pilots as well.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

So what's the main benefit in docking ships on the Gozanti?

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Next wave looks great. I always wanted an U-wing so this is perfect.

Must be pretty lovely for the people that already have one though, kinda like the HotR set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Ringo Star Get posted:

With two U-Wings I can imagine that a two U-Wing list might be fun!

What have you got in mind?

• Locked thread