Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

Since we're posting silly Star Viper lists, this is one I've been playing in more casual games lately.

Guri (30)
Predator (3)
Advanced Proton Torpedoes (6)
Autothrusters (2)

Torkil Mux (19)
Ion Cannon Turret (5)
Outlaw Tech (2)

Binayre Pirate (12)
"Hot Shot" Blaster (3)
Munitions Failsafe (1)

Binayre Pirate (12)
"Hot Shot" Blaster (3)
Munitions Failsafe (1)

Total: 99

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

Torkil and Guri can be a fun combo, I've actually managed to one shot a few different aces who had the misfortune of getting dropped to PS0 right in Guri's sights. I think it's too gimmicky to be reliable for a serious tournament, but I have fun with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

Carteret posted:

Posted without comment.

We've had this chat already months ago. Hence the thread title.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

Not a viking posted:

Why was the tie defender not considered very good for a while? It looks good on paper?

And did it get a card in the new tie super bomber box to make it better? I thought that box only had stuff like bombs and torpedoes?

Generally too expensive for its stats and maneuverability, even with the white k-turn (which is a bit too easy for folks to plan around). The next wave includes a TIE specific upgrade that turns all banks on the dial green, which substantially opens up options for Defenders in the positioning game, as well as making abilities that give stress in exchange for buffs more viable.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

Not a viking posted:

Cool, thanks for clearing that up. I just got two starters and the imp aces and I'm wondering what to get next. Its between the defender, phantom and another interceptor for soontir fel.

All three are definitely worth picking up over time regardless.

Phantoms are powerful aggressors, but no longer the auto-take no brainers they were pre-nerf. You have to be a lot more careful in how you move them now that you decloak before any other movement takes place.

Defenders are :mediocre: right now, but will be buffed up in the very near future like Kai Tave and I mentioned above.

Right now, Fel with Push the Limit and Autothrusters/Stealth Device is a thing of beauty once you get a bit of practice maneuvering in.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

Hello thread, been a while. Hadn't been playing much locally for various reasons, but there's a mostly friendly tournament taking place tomorrow at a local shop and I was thinking of dropping by. What's the competitive meta looking like in general right now? Was debating between auto/stealth interceptors, Decimator/Phantom, or a pair of IG-2000s. Any huge shake ups besides the new starter set in the last wave?

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

There was a bit of Punisher chat a few pages back, and that reminded me I still hadn't picked one up since I started playing again. Thinking of taking something like this to the next open table night:

"Redline" (27)
Fire-Control System (2)
Extra Munitions (2)
Plasma Torpedoes (3)
Cluster Missiles (4)
Guidance Chips (0)

Maarek Stele (27)
Juke (2)
Advanced Targeting Computer (1)
TIE/x1 (0)

Juno Eclipse (28)
Predator (3)
TIE/x1 (0)

Total: 100

Once I get another copy of Juke I'll probably swap Juno's predator for it.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

ConfusedUs posted:

Predator is probably better on Juno thank Juke, frankly. You get some kind of offensive modification regardless of which action(s) you take. Lone Wolf works pretty good for this, too.

With Juke, you Evade or you might as well not have an EPT. The only TIE Adv pilot it makes sense on is Vader, who can Evade and do something else.

So I don't like Juke on Maarek either. I'd, again, go for Lone Wolf or Predator. Calculation is also a reasonable choice: with Maarek's ability, another Crit is nothing to sneeze at.

Good points. I haven't actually tried any of this on the table yet so some of it was idle guessing. Think I might try swapping for Calculation since it's a card I haven't used before and either running the list at 99 or tweaking Redline's munitions for either a proton torp, an assault missile, or a second copy of concussion.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

I think the biggest problem the prequel ships have is, honestly, how do you even decide what faction gets what? Adding two more factions to cover the clone wars era feels like it would complicate the meta for very little gain, to boot.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

After a few games with my Redline and Advanced aces list, I've come to a few conclusions.

PS10/ATC Juno is a monster and was more than capable of controlling her place in the engagement and did the majority of my anti-small base damage.

I need more practice slow playing. A streak of arc dodging lists gave me habits that a Punisher does not work with. Once I remembered to slow the gently caress down on the approach Redline hit a lot harder.

Protorps and concussion missiles feels like the way to go. I could theoretically get more damage in with clusters, but the sheer amount of hit confirm the munitions, chips, and bonus lock gave me meant I was nearly always hitting with every die when Redline opened fire. He murdered the poo poo out of the large ships handily while staying relatively safely back at range 3.

Maarek got good hits in but Predator left him too exposed to the wide swath of PS8 pilots out there. I feel like VI is just all around better to get him making his shot earlier.

With these thoughts in mind, I think I'm going to tweak the list to give Maarek a copy of VI as well. This frees up two points that I could either use to boost Maarek to Vader, or stick the mk II engines into both advanced pilots to open up their options after a k turn or stress effect. Honestly a bit torn on that thought and will have to try them out a bit.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

HidaO-Win posted:

So in the theme of countering arc dodging without also becoming arc dodgers.

Red Squadron
Title
0 points
T65 only
When declaring an attack may choose another friendly ship with the "Red Squadron" title at range 1 as the point of origination of the attack.

This represents the team work of the X-wings at the Battle of Yavin. It's also demanding to fly as you want to stay in close formation while facing different directions.

I think this one runs into a problem with fortressing and intentional bumps. It's easy to keep a bunch of X wings in range 1 of each other if you don't care about making them actually move. Maybe tack on a focus token requirement so folks can't just bump pile in the corner?

EDIT: another variation could be spending a focus and your own attack to boost another titled X Wing at range 1's attack by one die? Still only one shot per fighter but someone with no shot can use nebulous teamwork powers to make a wingman's shot better.

Dulkor fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Apr 19, 2016

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

So folks who've been playing Scum lately, I've been trying to think of some just for funsies lists for practice since I've pretty much done nothing with them since shortly before Wave 7. Something along these lines look like it won't get completely hosed?

Zuckuss (28)
Veteran Instincts (1)
4-LOM (1)
Electronic Baffle (1)
Inertial Dampeners (1)
Tractor Beam (1)
Mist Hunter (0)

Talonbane Cobra (28)
Lone Wolf (2)
Cloaking Device (2)

Binayre Pirate (12)
Proton Rockets (3)
Glitterstim (2)
Guidance Chips (0)

Binayre Pirate (12)
Proton Rockets (3)
Glitterstim (2)
Guidance Chips (0)

Total: 99

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

Considering trying something stupid when Vets hits.

Omicron Group Pilot (21)
Enhanced Scopes (1)
Darth Vader (3)
Ion Projector (2)

Countess Ryad (34)
Push the Limit (3)
Twin Ion Engine Mk. II (1)
TIE/x7 (-2)

Maarek Stele (TIE Defender) (35)
Push the Limit (3)
Twin Ion Engine Mk. II (1)
TIE/x7 (-2)

Blocker equipped doom shuttle to try and tie up my opponent as much as possible with two flanking Defender aces flying around at mach 2 at all times.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

Fair points On the upgrades. Honestly, I'm actually trying to avoid palp a little just because you see him so loving often. I'm kinda wanting to do something else with the lambda than hover out of range and modify.

Another possibility with the same basic setup would be something like this:

Captain Yorr (24)
Enhanced Scopes (1)
Ion Projector (2)

Countess Ryad (34)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Stealth Device (3)
TIE/x7 (-2)

Maarek Stele (TIE Defender) (35)
Calculation (1)
Stealth Device (3)
TIE/x7 (-2)

Same basic game plan, but the defenders focus more on being pains in the rear end to damage while still having a decent PS (this may also be a good option for Ryad just to try and take more advantage of her ability against mid range pilots), and we ditch Vader on the shuttle for a combination of opening fire first against any swarms it obstructs and occasionally eating a stress off a Defender.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

Good or not, I find it incredibly boring to use or play against, mainly. It's more optimal, certainly, but I'd rather experiment with weirder combinations in the earlier days after a release to see what I can make fit together and how.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

Trip report! Went to a local tournament today with the following:

"Redline" (27)
Fire-Control System (2)
Extra Munitions (2)
Proton Torpedoes (4)
Cluster Missiles (4)
Guidance Chips (0)

Darth Vader (29)
Veteran Instincts (1)
TIE/x1 (0)

Juno Eclipse (28)
Veteran Instincts (1)
TIE/x1 (0)

Round 1 was a match against 3 Blue Squadron B-Wings with HLC. Two Fire control, one Advanced Sensors. One FCS with a Gunner riding shotgun. Lost Juno after a couple exchanges to a bad call in planning, but by that point Redline had crippled two B-Wings and between him and Vader the match was over. 1 Agility B-Wings and some crits dropping a pair of them to zero just left them unable to do much about Redline's ordinance barrages or Vader's auto-crit.

Round 2 ran me into a TIE Fighter swarm flown by the guy who came fourth overall. Howlrunner, Scourge, Mithel, and three Black Squadron all with Crack Shot. This one kicked my teeth in, but I managed to down three of the fighters for 49 points total before I went down. This was mostly my fault, I over committed before any of the obstacles could interfere with the swarm formation and ate poo poo as a result.

Round 3 was vs. an Imperial trip ace list, in this case Soontir, Vader, and Echo. Despite some crafty maneuvering by my opponent, 2/3rds of my list shot first and as soon as he left Echo exposed to try for a range 1 shot at Redline it was over. Took the match 100 to 0.

Round 4 went up against 4 TLT/Unhinged Thugs. This one had me anxious on my maneuvering and even playing stupid for a couple rounds (including one instance of misjudging and flying Juno into a rock to try and get into the range 1 donut hole. It didn't get me into range 1, either), but by the halfway point of the round I'd traded Redline for two dead Y-Wings and at that point both Advanced were able to stay out of the TLT range bands and finish off the last two for the win.

Final standing came out at 3-1 and second place overall.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

So I'm curious, now that the cloaking device illicit has been out for a bit, has anyone taken it for a semi-serious spin? I've been debating experimenting with it on Cobra or N'dru, as it seems to play nicely with their abilities and both are still decent for their points when it inevitably fails. I'm not super familiar with Scum lists outside of TLT Thugs and the odd Wolf Pack in my local meta though, so I'm at a bit of a loss of what to build to cooperate with a cloaked flanker besides just running some Ys or 95s.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

Certainly a thought, though the keen awareness of the failure risk makes me hesitant to rely on it for the particle accelerator/juke combo myself.

My main thinking with Cobra and N'Dru is it becomes a way to give them a turn or two of extra maneuvering to take advantage of their skills even if it fails by mid game.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

I feel like the biggest issue with TIE/D is the same problem slapping a missile on an A Wing has. It's viable, but you need to have a real clear plan for it to justify not taking the discount the x7 gives you on top of the possible free evades.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

Finally got a chance to gently caress around with my Scum ships again and gave the following a spin. Didn't run into anything top tier competitive yet, but I did decently against a couple swarms and aces lists that are at least competitive enough for a local tournament.

Bossk (35)
Crack Shot (1)
"Mangler" Cannon (4)
Greedo (1)
Boba Fett (1)
Dengar (3)
Glitterstim (2)

4-LOM (27)
Adaptability (0)
Zuckuss (1)
Advanced Sensors (3)
Tractor Beam (1)
Mist Hunter (0)

N'Dru Suhlak (17)
Lone Wolf (2)
Glitterstim (2)

Going to fly as is for a few weeks to learn the G1 and 666 better, but I'm curious what other folks would do or change with this squadron.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

Took my Bossk/4LOM/N'Dru list today, some lessons learned.

1) Don't forget when you have a loving target lock. Good lord do not do this. Lost a game when I forgot I had a lock on a B-Wing and it evaded my tractor beam as a direct result. Could have easily tossed it onto a rock for a follow up hit from N'Dru and not eaten the shot that finished 4LOM off otherwise.

2) 4LOM/Adaptability/Tractor and Bossk/Mangler is hilarious. Got several one shot kills by tossing ships into Bossk's main arc for a near defenseless mangler shot.

3) N'Dru was not quite the right wingman for this build. He's fun, and I got a couple solid hits in, but having to choose between disengaging to come around for another pass with buffs or taking a few shots in the merge without them was more trouble than it was worth.

I didn't win, but I was the highest ranked player who hadn't earned a spot in our League's end of season invitational, so that's something at least.

I'm liking Mist Hunter and Bossk, so I think I'm gonna maintain that bit of the list, but N'Dru has to go. Gonna cut him and a few upgrades on Bossk for a TLT Thug to stick to Bossk's side and poke anything that survives the mangler to death.

Bossk (35)
"Mangler" Cannon (4)
Dengar (3)
Greedo (1)
Boba Fett (1)

4-LOM (27)
Adaptability (0)
Zuckuss (1)
Advanced Sensors (3)
Tractor Beam (1)
Mist Hunter (0)

Syndicate Thug (18)
Twin Laser Turret (6)

Is the new plan right now, but I'm debating between keeping the crew on Bossk, or cutting one or both of Greedo/Fett for either Crack Shot or a Glitterstim.

Dulkor fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jun 5, 2016

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

Tekopo posted:

Bossk with either Dengar/Predator and 4-LOM + Zuckuss just destroys aces, oh my.

Yup! I've been experimenting with them for a few weeks now and I'm really enjoying it, especially since the list is so foreign in playstyle to my usual Imp builds.

After a bit more testing I've been keeping to a TLT Thug and 4LOM/Adaptability/Zuckuss/Accuracy Corrector/Mist Hunter alongside Bossk with Mangler/Dengar/Greedo/Boba.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

Aramoro posted:

I might give that a go, I've been playing with Advanced Sensors over Accuracy Correcter. Are you finding you get much from the corrector?

In my admittedly limited sample pool, I find it more consistently useful than Sensors when paired with Zuckuss. I can force more re-rolls if I'm less worried about dumping stress for actions.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

Aramoro posted:

I've been liking it with Push the Limit, letting me Barrel Roll, Evade/Cloak, reveal a Green to clear my stress or Barrel Roll into a Red giving me stress to off load.

Sounds like you're using him differently than I do! In my list he's mainly there to stress bomb anything that gets too close and to tractor debuff targets for the Thug and Bossk. AC plays nicely with that setup, particularly if I'm at a longer range, and if the target rolls two or more evades I can force as many rerolls as I need since I'm much less concerned with stress than I would be if I was setting up locks/etc.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

Tried running the x7/stealth onyx list today. Holy poo poo are these guys hard to hit. Didn't even lose one in any of my games, and had one matchup that I lost exactly two shields in, both to flying over rocks for a better shot angle.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

Correct, it's just three Onyx Squadron all with title and stealth devices.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

I've been running triple x7s for a few weeks now with a lot of success thus far. I'd recommend Onyx over Delta just to further mitigate Predator on enemy aces if you're going to spam them, though.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

Strobe posted:

If you're asking your friends to not play X or Y ship because they're too good, there's a problem. If you're not asking them that, then it's "pretty much dead and gone."

You're making the assumption the friends will default to top meta lists. I fly with enough casual players to tell you that isn't always the case, plenty of folks have zero interest in tournament meta and just fly what they think looks cool/they like in the Legends canon.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

There's a big difference between throwing out WAAC bullshit accusations at folks and acknowledging that some players just aren't going to care about the high tier competitive scene, folks. X Wing has balance issues, but they aren't anywhere near as egregious as 90% of the other war games out there right now and outside of the odd conceptual abortion like the scyk, most ships are at least playable. Even finely tuned competitive squads have bad match ups, after all.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

I think it mainly has to do with the nature of the maneuvering game plus the lack of premeasuring arcs/ranges/etc.

There absolutely is an element of practiced skill at spatial awareness and reading intentions in the game, that isn't necessarily as much of a factor in other minis games. How big of an impact it actually has game to game is entirely open to debate and really comes down to who's playing and with what to have a meaningful answer.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

So I'm thinking of trying out a bomber buddy, Vessery, Redline list for funsies. I haven't flown the buddy before, any general advice beyond expect to lose it and practice bump avoidance?

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

With a couple exceptions, ships can only have a single target lock at any given time and a new one will replace the current lock.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

Hey folks! Haven't had much time for wangs since August, but planning to dive back in soon. What's the consensus on wave nine? Anything in particular awesome/broken/a total misfire?

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

So I imagine I missed discussion on this during my hiatus, but did the heavy scyk errata make the m3a slightly less garbage? I have a handful of them I got for manglers back in the day that I haven't actually tried to put in a squad for years.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Guess the actual list and you win a prize. Think MWG, be specific. One guess per person because I don't want to go pick out a prize unless I have to.

3.16 Decimals · Skylines
Park Pervert (4)
Ian Bag (5)
John Trap(4)
Tacticool Dancer (1)
· Red Beardless (3)
Strangelove(1)
CIA (1)
· I Ain't Scared (2)

Nerd Shuttle: · Data's Lover
Lightning Waffles (1)
Guy Dances With Chimps (0)
· Toe Filer (2)
· Big Daddy (3)
· Tractor (3)

I feel like I've got part of it but I'm going to lose my mind if I stare any further down this rabbit hole. So gently caress it.

Rear Admiral Chiraneau (46)
Expose (4)
Ion Torpedoes (5)
Ysanne Isard (4)
Intelligence Agent (1)
Bombardier (1)
Thermal Detonators (3)
Tactical Jammer (1)
Dauntless (2)

Captain Yorr (24)
Electronic Baffle (1)
Flechette Cannon (2)
Darth Vader (3)
Guidance Chips (0)
ST-321 (3)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

I figured a couple were still off.

Some of those were inspired I have to say.

• Locked thread