Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I'm new to the game. Bought the new starter set, read the OP.

Are there any more current resources explaining tactics or interesting builds? I feel like there's a lot I don't get right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I hope no one minds me asking, but if anyone's looking to sell some x-wing stuff me and some friends are likely pretty interested.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

StuG Jeebus posted:

Actually on the verge of dropping 2 A-wings, 2 Rebel Aces, and a YT-2400 on E-bay. Used, but only a few times and everything is in good condition. Looking for $50 paypal and I'll cover shipping (if you're in the US). You get first dibs but I figured I'd reply in thread if you pass.

My buddy just bought the 2400 and I just bought rebel aces. I guess to be specific I'm looking for an original core set, an Xwing expansion, a TIE expansion and maybe a Falcon.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

AndyElusive posted:

Hrmmmmmm. Trying to decide if it's worth paying $72.00 for the TIE/A contents of the Imperial Raider box sans the Raider and its respective upgrades.

Well, the whole thing is $68 at Miniature Market, so

http://www.miniaturemarket.com/catalog/product/view/id/43103/s/ffgswx30/

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

My buddy bought an Imperial Raider so we set up a big huge 250pt per side battle. I played rebels with a friend (125pts each) and we played against the Raider guy (200pts) and my other buddy new to the game (50pts).

I took two X-wings, a T-70, a B-wing and an A-wing, my teammate took an E-wing, B-wing, and YT-2400. We faced off against the Raider, Palpatine shuttle, a TIE, TIE/fo, two Interceptors and an Advanced. Rebels avoided the Raider for a while, lost the YT-2400 early but did some nice damage to the pack. Eventually we blew up the Raider and then cleaned up the rest of the ships.

Anyhow it was a fun game, here are some pics:

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I have two buddies I play Xwing with and we normally do something like two players playing rebel vs one guy playing imperial and using the raider.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

That page suggests it'll only have one pilot who is unique.

I know they're on their way to retailers, but does anyone have dates on when the Imperial Assault Cruiser comes out?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

My FLGS has dates for xwing stuff. They had today for T-70s and TIE/fos. They're saying 12/21 for Imperial assault carrier and 12/31 for the Inquisitor's TIE.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Grabbed a copy of Armada.

I got the transport earlier and I like having it. The missions are fun.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

CODChimera posted:

So what's the main benefit in docking ships on the Gozanti?

They can't be shot at until you deploy them (behind the enemy), I think.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

The rebel transport exists. No reason to think they couldn't do something similar to that and pack in a fancy TIE or something.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Are there any players flying casual in San Jose? I'd love to add some more people to my little group.

ZenMastaT posted:

Here's the front:

and the back:

I didn't take any properly lit pics because then you can't see the lights very well - but the paint job is quite nice!

He even put lights in the escape pods on the bottom of the ship, which you can't see at all while it's in play haha - still cool though!

That's incredible looking.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

It's worth just buying both starters, especially since they hover around $24. Getting the cards, a T-65 two TIEs and a second set of dice makes the "outdated" core a no brainer for that price.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

General Battuta posted:

Nah, although a barrel roll and then a straight gets kind of the same effect. A sideslip would be a bank or turn template that moved you forward and to the left/right, but left your nose on the same heading you

Bank then boost.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Both is a great start because you can play two xwings vs four TIEs for like $50 all in.

Grab both you'll love it.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

You really need the second dice set.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Oicunn is a Decimator pilot.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I bought one off etsy by "GameMatz" and I prefer it to the official mat. It's less slippery, and you can get prettier designs.

(I play with a bunch of friends at our houses and don't care about "tournament legal")

Here's it in action, my Gozanti pooped out a tie swarm in front of Super Dash who get stuck and obliterated:

I like the subtle grid pattern from the weave inside the material, makes it easy to line stuff up.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

That's incredible.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

That looks really good too.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I like the big ships but they're way overcosted. We either do equal pts of big ships vs each other plus other stuff or we discount the big ships pretty heavily.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Otisburg posted:

I need to figure out how many of these six Phantoms to use as trade bait.

Anything else you want to sell from the lot? I'd be interested in a Phantom and maybe some other stuff to have it make sense.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Vader Soontir Palpatine

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

thespaceinvader posted:

R5P9 is better on Poe if you have it, but understandable if you don't since it's in the Corvette :(

I think the obvious synergy is there in that Poe focuses and uses it on offense and defense before spending it to regen a shield, but I think for the extra point R2D2 is better. Nothing can stop you from taking a green maneuver, while running into stuff can stop you from taking an action.

If you're already using R2 somewhere else that's a moot point however.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

That's a shitload of points to not do any damage.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

My FLGS says 1/31. I'd guess somewhere around there.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

ConfusedUs posted:

Howl and Predator are redundant. You can't re-roll the same die twice.

But you can reroll one die with predator and another with howlrunner, can't you?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Or the fact that the commentators don't know what's on each face up damage card which means there's a lot of confusion towards the end.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Grabbed Most Wanted and a Star Viper from Barnes and Noble online, figured I needed the BTL title, autothrusters and Punishing One and Mist Hunter look cool so Scum here I come.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Just played a game using proxied guidance chips, tractor beams and TIE/D.

Holy poo poo the Defender is a monster. My favorite turn was throwing a BTL stressbot y-wing onto an asteroid before imploding it.

The Punisher with guidance chips is a pretty rough customer as well.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I wanted to be able to use them while flyin' casual. Sorry. :(

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Yeah. 12 TLTs might work great but you wouldn't invite that dude back for an Epic game.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

The big ship campaigns are really fun. The last Raider mission has moving asteroids, and there's a Raider v Corvette mission that has a cool gimmick to simulate a chase.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I taught some coworkers how to play. I ran them through the one xwing two TIE scenario but with actions, then we played a real 100pt game.

(I'd like to say I lost because I deliberately flew casual and slammed into a bunch of rocks so that's what we'll go with.)

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Played my first league game ever last night, I ran Poe with BB8, PTL and Autothrusters, Red Ace with R2-D2 and Autothrusters, and a Gold Sq. with BTL, TLT and R3-A2.

Went against a guy with 2014 store champ movement templates so figured I was in for it. He ran Whisper with advanced cloaking, agent kallus, veteran instincts and something else, wampa, chaser and a palp shuttle.

He set up on my right side in the far corner. I put my y-wing dead center to use it as area denial, with red ace next to him and Poe off on my left corner.

My plan worked, he turned Whisper into the center of the board and I immediately put two stress on her and stuck Poe right behind her. I couldn't get a shot for about four turns but he couldn't get Whisper into the fight.

Meanwhile I beat up Chaser with the y-wing before the two TIEs and the Shuttle dealt it some big crits and he went down.

Red Ace popped the shuttle and then Chaser. I was still harrying Whisper back into the fight and managed to Target Lock her with Red Ace on her decloak.

Then on the next turn he bumped Whisper into Wampa on his move, and I had Tallon rolled Red Ace. No cloak for Whisper meant Poe and Red Ace gunned her down and his Wanpa only had 1 hull left so he conceded.

Feels good man.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

kingcom posted:

Yeah that looks pretty good, on the other hand $170 price tag lol.

Yeah what kind of idiots would spend $170 on a board game?

*looks around nervously*

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Those are always on sale on Amazon. If you're leaning imperial yes you can mix old and First Order stuff.

Imperial Aces is great but the best Interceptor pilot comes in the standalone Interceptor expansion. Fixes for the Interceptor come in the Aces box.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

bunnyofdoom posted:

If there was like a tutorial to teach me how to use Vassal, I'd be so down. I'd be the dude using all the weird lits.

Same. I'd love to play but I downloaded it and am totally lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Two core sets. Fly a T-65 and a T-70 vs three good TIEs.

• Locked thread