Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Leo Showers posted:

Some sperg did it on the FFG forums but basically it's of questionable use on ships which have the Systems Upgrade slot, only because they all have 3 attack anyway. It would be mega good on a two attack ship, however. The dude on the forum also speculated that it might be good on the Shuttle, there was another ship he thought it might be good on but I don't usually care for that anyway.

The HWK would love it, makes it a lot less useless since it's one dice becomes two hits for 3 points. Might actually start seeing HWKs once S&V is released.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

alg posted:

HWK-290 can't use Systems Upgrades.

Oh right, they have a turret instead. My bad :downs:

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Caddrel posted:

Also to get any other complaining out of the way, in that designer interview they say that "Scum are the faction you play if you like tricks. If you like control decks in magic," and that scum have a lot of "jerk moves." The new HWK can supposedly turn abilities against you.

This doesn't sound fun to me. The game is fundamentally about planning out and controlling your ships. Denial of control doesn't see very fun in that context, nor do "jerk" moves. Who wants to look at their opponents squad and think "ugh, this won't be fun." Of course no one knows what the actual cards will be, but those were my thoughts.

In regards to the 'denial of control', Ion cannons have existed since wave 1. Biggs has been around for just as long, who manipulates who you're actually shooting at (just like a redirect spell in MTG) and as Chill mentioned, stress manipulation and management has been a lot more common in recent waves.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

jivjov posted:

That was just an example. So far we've seen 2 and a half new moves introduced to the game, 0 speed, banked k-turns, and white K-turns (that's the half haha). And then there's new types of upgrades or pilot actions on too of that.

As the game evolves, they can either just keep giving us new configurations of all the same moves, or gradually introduce new ones. If the game keeps growing to a 12th or 15th or whatever wave, will X-Wings or TIE interceptors still have a place in lists? Or will new ships with new maneuvers be the only viable ships for the new meta? I'm sure in casual play there will always be a home for "lower tier" ships, but what about tourney play? It'll get seriously boring if all anyone can play is some combination of the latest and greatest.

I'm not trying to doom-&-gloom. I just have way too much time to think about moving little plastic squares around haha.
It's entirely possible that a future expansion could introduce an EPT that allows the S-loops. Keep in mind that two years and 12 new ships later, the TIE swarm is still a top-tier list so 'new hotness' isn't a requirement to win. In my local meta, the same guy has won the past two tourneys with that setup.

Lungboy posted:

Speaking as a complete newbie, are there any "I wish I'd been told this when I started" tips and tricks?
Remember that the long and short-range modifiers (the +1 attack die at range 1, +1 defend die at range 3) only apply to primary weapons, not any missiles/torpedos/turret weapons that your ship may have.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Poopy Palpy posted:

The only complaint I have about the local store's X-Wing night is all the people on the other side of the store playing Magic. Wow, you topdecked the right card; this is something that has never happened to anyone before and is entirely worth shouting about for an entire minute.

The X-Wing players are all super chill, though.

Actually, topdecking the right card (from someone else's deck) saved my rear end so good once because I used this guy's ablity and pulled the one Glaring Spotlight the guy had in a deathtouch-pinger deck. I know it's off-topic, but MTG does have clutch moments where cool stuff like that happens, like an Epic game last night where a single stressed TIE with one hull remaining survived an ion cannon, a stressed Ibitsam and two A-wings.

Competitive chat: Used Wedge+Outmaneuver again in the aforementioned Epic game (300pts) and he once again kicked rear end. Phantom decloaks and didn't have Wedge in his firing arc, the pilot gave me the biggest wide-eyed look when I told him he gets no evade dice against Wedge (who was at range 1) :getin:

Chill la Chill posted:

Higher buy-in cost just attracts spergs if we look at war hams' clientele. X-wing attracts people who like pew pew noises and the movies so it's a bunch of cool dudes. Fly casual is the motto for the nova squadron. It helps that the rules and balance is tight so there are no grognard arguments. In my experience the playerbase is older and many have kids. They're the cool dad types.
Dad jokes ahoy!
(someone rolls insanely bad) "Jeeeeeeesus"
"Yes, my child?" :smug:

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

I've been out of X-wangs for a good 2 years now (since just before Scum came out, from memory).
How are Rebels this day and age? My favourite list at the time was a Corran Horn+Marksmanship gimmick with Wedge flanking and a headhunter to fill the points gap. How badly will I get tabled in the current meta?

What sort of cool stuff have I missed for Rebels, now that there's been 2 years of releases to catch up on?

e: Oh, and what sort of lists should I be watching out for if I want to get back into it competitively?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

banned from Starbucks posted:

Rebels got the ghost, Arc-170, and K-wing which are all decently competitive. You can work corran into a ghost or kwing list if you still want to play him. Dash too really. Best thing rebels have atm is triple kwings with bombs.

drat, looks like I need to get me a K-wing or two then. Thanks!

• Locked thread