Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

quote:

Rebel Assault Frigate Mk.2
Star Viper
Scum and Villainy faction

Oh god, it's all falling apart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I find myself wondering about a downgrade like the Chardaan refit card, but that would delete Y-wing turrets.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

alg posted:

It's a goddamn Y-Wing, they don't swap the fuckin' turrets. Their turrets are the point of their ship. They should just get a straight up upgrade card for 0 points that adds a Crew. That's the point of Y-Wings, they're a two man attack ship with a turret. loving B-Wings why the gently caress did they get the crew card.

Think of it as the movie-version Y-wing. Though really, to finish the job they'd need to be just as fast as X-wings and about half as durable.

I got no answers on the B-wing thing.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Poopy Palpy posted:

"TIE Fighters don't have shields" is an EU creation.

As is "Y-wings are slow and tough"--FFG has made it pretty clear that this is essentially the boardgame version of the videogame.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Ville Valo posted:

Started playing the Tantive IV campaign tonight. If I understood the rules for using it correctly, it can never shoot directly behind itself, even with the turret primary, because that'd cross the blue line on the base? How was it firing at the Star Destroyer in the opening scene of A New Hope, then?!

It's another LucasArts artifact.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Lemon Curdistan posted:

They only send the defective part, so you won't get a second Decimator, but you'll get a new peg.

If they send you the correct part. Pictures are important.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Focus should be usable for either offensive or defensive purposes, but not both. You should have to decide when you take the marker--deciding your "focus" as it were.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Chill la Chill posted:

But...the ability to choose either is what makes focus even a choice. If you had to choose either, target lock and evade would just be the default choices. Target lock gives you a whole .5 reroll instead of .25 on a focus and evade just straight up gives you a free 1.0 die.

Whereas now, focus is the default choice unless ordnance is in play.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Soulex posted:

K guys. My buddy got me into this game and I have a few questions.

Apparently focus let's you overturn a result on offense or defense. So what is the point of using an evasive maneuvers token?
Focus lets you turn all eyeball results into hits/evades. The more dice you roll for the attack/defense in question, the better focus is as an option. The value of Evade is that it gets you a guaranteed one.

quote:

Bumping just removes the abity for action right?
Yes, but also recall that two ships with bases in contact during the fire phase can't shoot at each other. They can still shoot at other things.

quote:

Critical hits are negated on shields?
Yes.

quote:

Unless the upgrade card says "discard after" then it can be used every turn right?

Yes.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Soulex posted:

Like for example. Sometimes my friend and I go head to head and we were under the false assumption you can over shoot. I move forward and am clear. He moves forward and rams me. We are now nose to nose. The next round, since we are blocking each other from moving forward, how do we continue movement when any movement would cause another collision?

Maneuver gauges don't cause collisions with other ships. Collisions only occur if the bases would overlap. Gauges do cause collisions with asteroids, though.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Otterspace posted:

Even though it has Soontir Fel, one of the best pilots in the game?

Fel is an interceptor pilot, not an advanced.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Foxtrot_13 posted:

I want to make my ship bases less likely to be nudged during the game and i was wondering what other people do?

My first thought was sticking felt to the bottom but the bases are slightly hollow so that wouldn't work.

Should i just not worry about it

I glued 5/16 x 1-1/4 rubber washers to the bottoms of my bases. It helps a little. I've heard some people saying good things about magnets, but I don't have any metal play surfaces to try it.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

PJOmega posted:

Figure you all would be interested in this. Apparently TIE Fighter is getting a digital rerelease for modern computers.

http://kotaku.com/x-wing-tie-fighter-are-finally-getting-digital-re-rele-1651470045

Which reminds me--where's our assault gunboat, FFG?

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

LumberingTroll posted:

Stay on target, stay on target....

The tiles and turrets are from JR Miniatures and I think they will paint up very nicely.

I wound up sawing about a half-inch of the laser turret barrels, since they didn't look right.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Yeah, T-wing and R-41 seem likely bets, with reskin options for S&V.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Leo Showers posted:

Paging FFG for Assault Gunboat.

Stormtrooper Transport for both factions.

I'd rather see the screen-canon Sentinel than the legless AT-AT Delta. We aren't under any pressure to save polygons by designing a ship that looks like a box.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Oh hey cool, they essentially gave us the Lancer, only made it not stupid-looking. Everyone wins.

(...except Rebel fighters)

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Store championships today. Seeing what will happen with

Capt. Jonus + cluster missiles + seismic charges
2x Scimitars with the same
Col. Jendon with Tactician

Victory probability: LOW
Hilarity probability: HIGH

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Lemon Curdistan posted:

No, because it's pretty silly. You can expect to see nothing but TIE swarms, Z-95 swarms, B-wing "swarms" and maybe A-wings with Proton Rockets.

Well, and those generic pilots that can still take Elite cards.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Has anyone tried Vader + Expert Handling? I'm looking to anchor a Howlswarm and unless I'm missing something, that looks like it gives three actions a turn like Soontir/PtL.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

zVxTeflon posted:

Its an action to use it so you wont get 3 actions. All it does for ships with baseline BR is remove a Target lock and not give you a stress.

Wait, according to the errata, it's a free action, not a regular action.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Obama 2012 posted:

Proton rockets seem pretty much made for the A-Wing, but I can't help feeling that Chardaan Refit has kind of sabotaged the meta for them--Their effective price has jumped from 3 to 5 points now, which seems prohibitively expensive for what they do. I've been tooling around with some potential A-Wing lists lately and I just can't justify the opportunity cost.

OTOH, Prockets are a godsend to the TIE Advanced.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I've finally figured out what FFG can add to the game as the Imperial equivalent to the Rebel transport: Vader's Transuniversal Carrier Ship.

e; maybe they can also add Luke's Two-Seated Land-Repelling Kind Of Spacecraft.

... the DC-10?

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

It does. I was surprised to see how much more there was than the two or three minutes we've seen around before. Time to round up players for the RPG campaign...

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Aces High posted:

Oh I know that their chances weren't great I'm more talking about the lovely Y-Wing pilot, who wasted his missiles (they were red so I'm pretty sure they were missiles and not torps)

Maybe the animator took the time to correct one of the more glaring errors from the games.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Jonus and two bomber wingmen with cluster missiles is a bad day for a Deci build. (unless you blow all 18 rolls... :smith:)

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

General Battuta posted:

I had a pretty great teaching game last night with my brother. He flew 3x Interceptors with Push the Limit against my AAB. I ran the B-wing out as bait and flew the A-wings offset, then managed to sweep in and pick off Baron Fel while he was trying to swarm the B.

I felt pretty cocky after that. But my board situation fell apart fast when my A-Wings merged in too hard and started bumping asteroids, Interceptors, and each other. I got lazy with the B-Wing, assuming it was safely out of range, and he sniped it from behind with a Range 3 shot - and then, to my utter horror, Turr Phennir went head to head with Jake, vaporized him, then used his free post-attack barrel roll to dodge Jake's return fire, which would've killed him (we made the rolls, just so we'd know).

Things swung back my way when Tycho killed Turr in revenge and the game ended with Carnor Jax and Tycho spiraling around each other in a classic dogfight. Carnor finally K-turned back at Tycho, and I went head to head confident that a target lock, focus, and evade would let me win the pass. Unfortunately :smugdog: Carnor was in range 1, blocking any use of focus or evade with his Force bullshit or whatever it is. Tycho blew up and his return fire left Carnor at 1 health.

I love it when games play out like moderately-unshitty EU stories.

I'm curious about this "return fire" business.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Orvin posted:

I am going to try really hard to avoid the huge ships until I at least play in a real tournament or two. Mostly because a wing of TIE Advanced with the stuff from the Imperial Raider looks to be lots of fun.

I hope there are multiple copies of the /x1 title and Advanced computer in that Raider box.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Pinely posted:

X-Wings, Generic E-Wings, Rebel Y-Wings, and the HWK-290 could use some extra love, imo. Astromechs could be a good way to help 3 out of the 4 I suppose.

Imperial side, the Defender and Bomber both need some love. Not sure how to help those, though. Maybe something like the Chardan Refit for the Defender?

All good ideas. None of the pilot cards have mentioned stutter fire yet, maybe there could be a late-model X-wing title that lets them reroll an attack die or something.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

I notice that there's been absolutely no indication that they have any plans to even touch on the prequel stuff, which is probably for the best.

Well, except for the prequel designs are cool-looking, and in wargame format, we get to appreciate them without having to sit through the prequels themselves. I can see why FFG's marketing department would consider them poison, though.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Shockeh posted:

Don't put Munitions Failsafe on things with Prockets; By definition, the more dice you're rolling, the lower the value of Munitions Failsafe.

Especially don't put Munitions Failsafe on things you have Advanced Targeting Computer, or other upgrades that get you guaranteed hits.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Tekopo posted:

How would ATC have any effect on Munitions Failsafe? It only affects primaries for a start and second, the crit it creates can still be evaded.

My bad, I missed the primary-weapon-only part.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

Yeah, the original name for the Punisher is actually the TIE Interdictor, which I'm guessing they may have changed to avoid confusion with a potential Interdictor Cruiser down the line for Armada.

Because "TIE Heavy Bomber" would have been just too confusing, I guess.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

It looks like there's an upgrade for all TIE models. "Twin (presumably Ion) Engine-something"

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Ordnance shouldn't be viable as fighter-to-fighter weapons, really. They were only used that way twice in all the movies, and never in the OT.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

overdesigned posted:

Your avatar would disagree :colbert:

Touché.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Lemon Curdistan posted:

This isn't the game of the films, though, as mentioned about a million times. It's the game of X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter and the Rogue Squadron games, where ordnance is used against snubfighters all the time.

Regrettably, yes.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Orvin posted:

Someone at my league night had an interesting idea for ordinance. If the missile/torpedo has at least one hit, cancel all defense dice. This was to make it a more thematic, either you evade the missile, or it hits and does full damage. So nimble tie fighters are likely to evade the missile, but if it hits, they are pretty much dead.

It would probably take some tweaking of current ordinance cards, but would make their costs viable if they were more likely to hit for full damage.

I approve of all lethality-increasing mods.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

DJ Dizzy posted:

Is Armada chat cool here too?

Goes here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3658006

NINJA EDIT TO CORRECT THREAD

Madurai fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Apr 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Poopy Palpy posted:

I'll say this for Armada: giving Tarkin a VSD for a flagship makes a lot more sense than him cruising around on a drat anti-fighter corvette.

Character-centric wargames have always bugged me for similar reasons. Isn't this a theater- or national-level asset? What are they doing in this tiny skirmish?

• Locked thread