Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Search is broken so I can't tell if this is an evergreen question.

Did you all just spring for the branded mats, or is there a common recommendation for cheaping out? It doesn't look like UltraPro does 3x3. Is there a best recommendation for an online vendor if I'm happy with solid black?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Thanks! I was half hoping for some well-known third party that Google was being cagy about, but for the time being

soulfulspinster posted:

In the dark times, I would play on cabinet liner, since the surface actually helped prevent accidentally bumping ships out of place and it was cheap.

Assuming you are talking about the bumpy material like also goes under rugs and not contact paper, I've got a 12x8 sheet of that folded up in garage and no good reason not to carve it up.

Never would have thought about it for this, thanks!

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Stan Taylor posted:

I ordered the rebel aces pack from my local game shop because I want an excuse to get this to the table more. I have the Force Awakens starter pack, are there any imperial ships I should get that would pair well with that set?

I just got Rebel Aces, Imperial Veterans, and a core set. If you're just playing kitchen table and don't mind non-tournament-legal upgrade cards you have a whole lot of game available in those 7 ships.

Each side has a zippy ship (or two), a chunky mid-range ship, and a bomber that can also carry crew.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Apr 10, 2018

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I picked up an ARC 170 recently for just knocking around the kitchen table, and having just gotten into the game a while back and not really hilt-deep into lore I've started reading about the named characters and the ships I don't recognize because it's fun and helps me connect to the game.

And apparently one of the pilots they include is Poe's mom. And they gave her the most mom pilot ability in the game, and it kind of melted my heart.

Also the 170 has the auxiliary firing arc, so she literally has eyes in the back of her head.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

ConfusedUs posted:

Nora is also a mom. She's "Snap" Wexley's mother. It's kind of fun making thematic Mom-and-Son lists with an Arc and a T-70

This is wonderful.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty new, but are there that many glaring issues the long-timers are wanting a 2.0 to fix?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
As someone who is never going to play a game away from his kitchen table, I'm intrigued to learn there's a secondary market for upgrades.

C3PO is a $25 card, apparently? Push the Limit is $6-8. Is there anything people chase that comes from non-huge ships?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

thespaceinvader posted:

Palpatine and TIE/x1/ATC are probably the best sellers. Threepio is quite a lot cheaper than he used to be because he was a participation prize a couple of years ago.

I've been meaning to start ebaying my promos. After euros...

Wow, just going on ebay prices if you can find a small break on that Raider it basically pays for itself or pretty close to it.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

thespaceinvader posted:

Definitely.

Similarly, if you can find a big full-lot type sale you can trivially make a profit on most of them, just by selling off the high-value stuff. At least, a profit on your money, not necessarily your time.

I figure, I've got time to shitpost SA then I've probably got time to make arbitrage on toy rocketships.

Something to think about, at least.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
After talking secondary market last week, I'm going to try selling a bunch of upgrade cards to fund more ships. Might as well try here before resorting to eBay. Here's the post:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3855678

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
So the Rebel conversion kit will just include all the ships cards and upgrades and bases already developed for the new X65 and the new Y wing. But there's no way they're putting in like, new ships and dials for every single Rebel ship in 1.0.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

bunnyofdoom posted:

Then why is there an a-wing and b-wing on the box?

This is a good question. I hope I'm wrong!

ConfusedUs posted:

Where are you guys getting this stuff?

That's not what they said. They said they're for every single released 1.0 released ship AND the first wave expansions.

I didn't hear them say the last part and was guessing.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'm almost exactly as invested in 1.0 as it will cost to upgrade to 2.0, ha. Awkward timing for me.

I guess I'll pick up a 2.0 core and use my T70s and FOs as stand-ins before going all-in. (Assuming they didn't change the pegs and base holes, etc. Which if Saw's is both, it seems unlikely.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Remember yesterday when everyone was talking over the new Krennic card?

I wonder how well that stuff was balanced, considering they were working on 2.0 at the same time AND with the knowledge it was only going to matter for 3 months.

• Locked thread