Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Are you in the NOVA area? I live in Waldorf and would love to find a group of people to pew pew spaceships with.

I am in Montgomery county MD and would love to go pew pew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
I'm getting into armada but I figure I might as well try this game out to get in the Star Wars mood before it comes out. What would you recommend to go with the starter core set? I was thinking maybe a tie advanced to do the whole death star run thing with Vader and 2 tie wingmen, maybe another x wing or a y wing for the rebels?

I don't want to get super expensive, just make a tiny force for each that I can shoot poo poo with until Armada is out.

Though those cool elite tie interceptors look cool, if only because I read way too many of the x-wing books as a kid.

Jarvisi fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Dec 27, 2014

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
I like this game well enough. Already have the core set, just would rather play with capital ships. I just want to pay ten bucks for a model or so to entertain myself and annoy my so.

Jarvisi fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Dec 27, 2014

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
As someone who preordered armada and all of wave 1 (Aside from the assault frigate. I hate that ship. Rebels should be fast and light), I think its great. Not like there are very many choices for a aramada capital ship game, and judging from xwing they know how to make it fun

If need be, I'll roll down to my FLGS and get people to play using my own ships. Pretty sure lots of xwing players would be happy to play it

Jarvisi fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Dec 30, 2014

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Disregarding all the warnings I got, I bought myself a couple of ships. While using the army builders on the net, I realized that printing this out would pretty much remove the need to pull out all those drat upgrade cards. Only thing I'd need would be the damage cards for the most part. Are people at FLGSs usually okay with this or can they get anal about not having all the "Correct" pieces? I know in 40k no one really gave a poo poo unless you were at a games workshop store if you proxied pretty much anything.

This would also make it easier to proxy random upgrades I don't actually have, since I got rebel aces, but all the good B-Wing weapons and bombs seem to be in the B-wing pack only.

Jarvisi fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jan 15, 2015

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

alg posted:

If you play in a tournament you will need the cards. It's also a good idea to have the cards anyway so you can hand them to people who want to read the rule.

But the rules are all nicely listed out on the 100 point list that I printed out! Thats what I mean, it's less fiddly to just have it all listed on a one page piece of paper rather than digging out tons of cards to stack under my ship.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Tekopo posted:

Why would you need the damage cards? Don't you have a core?

I mean I'd have to dig the damage cards out from my core set, and not the upgrade cards. I'm just lazy is all. I get the sense I'd need a plano case or something if I wanted to really get into this game.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
poo poo, I need more dice than came in the core set? I see why people say to get two, then.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Yeah Tie Fighters are the worst and I never want to actually fly them. Interceptors/advanced/defenders/gunboats or nothing.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
I'm sorry I played way too much tie fighter, so I don't give a gently caress about primitive tie fighters, it's all about the high tech hot poo poo.

When are they going to add Tie Uglies, Missile boats, or Assault gunboats?

Jarvisi fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jan 16, 2015

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
I'm not trying to play competitively. I do see lots of people say that tie swarms are a great strategy, but I really don't want to have to manuever around tons of ties anyway. So far I've got a shuttle, a defender and the ties from the core set. Seems like a good place to start at. The fighters at the very least seem to be good at filling in spots. Just running Night Beast right now, and an academy pilot to fill in points.

Shuttles seem tons of fun though. From the doom shuttle with vader to giving target locks to every loving ship I've got to a variety of other poo poo, they seem pretty hilarious. Just trying to avoid spending 50 points on a shuttle, keeping it down around 30ish points to avoid being an idiot.

Jarvisi fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jan 16, 2015

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Leo Showers posted:

Sucks to have a wrong opinion, friendo.

The best missions were where you were flying TIE Fighters.

Didn't you only play a tie fighter in like 3 missions before they moved you up to interceptors and bombers?

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
But that requires you to put up with retarded Borg poo poo.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Just played my first real full game against the SO. General thoughts are that holy poo poo I need a Plano to store all these dials and ship info things.

Least valuable unit went to my awing for flying around and never getting to shoot poo poo because I suck at maneuvering.

MVP goes to my boyfriends Defender, which one shot my a wing. 2 damage 1 crit (the damage card I got was the 2 damage one).

Halfway through the game I realized that putting proton torpedo's on a unit with heavy laser was worthless. Oops.bwing shot a bunch but never landed any kills. Xwing did the most solid, and it was a rookie!

The shuttle base seemed a little wobbly. Is this normal?

Jarvisi fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Jan 16, 2015

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Phrosphor posted:

Sad to hear your A-wing under performed for you, don't give up on it! It sounds like you have Rebel Aces, if you do give it a go with Push the Limit and Jake (the Snake). Don't be afraid to boost AND barrel roll in one turn, you get a free focus and the A-wing is pretty good for green maneuvers to dump stress.

I am just really bad at maneuvering on space. My a wing had outmanuever so I kept trying to do fancy flying poo poo and just ended up not being able to shoot anything. Tips on general flying would help.

Rebel aces did not come with push the limit so I didn't have that. I will proxy it next game.

Next time I'll just proxy all the poo poo I don't have from the general a wing and b wing packs by just printing out a full rule list of how my ships are built. Also probably need to avoid dumping so many points into my bwing. The crew add-on in aces makes it so easy though.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
The DND one looks vaguely interesting since it has ground forces vs dragons but not enough to buy it.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Endman posted:

Don't pre-order anything ever.

Blessed is the mind too small for doubt.

Also star destroyers are cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
I just realized that Nova squadron is probably in NOVA somewhere. I should look into that, even if it does mean going to virginia.

• Locked thread