Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I had planned on a 2xAplpha + QD list for Adepticon, but since it's going to be pretty common and I'm not getting out of the first round in any case, I think I may just go back to my fun Whisper/OL/Inquisitor list. I tried working out some kind of Whisper/Kylo Silencer thing but couldn't come up with anything good. I'll get crushed, but at least it will be flying something I like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

He would have been destroyed. A crit still counts as a point of damage.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I’m going to ask a dumbass question. When people talk about bumping other ships, they mean put their lower PS ship in a position when the other player will almost certainly hit it and have to stop right? What’s the advantage, other then that ship can’t fire on the ship it hit? Is it also for known positioning? You know where the other ship will be because you set them up to stop?

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Thanks for the education on bumping. Makes much more sense now.

When I first started playing I bought an Interceptor and Imperial Aces. I was incredibly excited to play a triple Interceptor list. Then I tried it and got utterly crushed.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Out of curiosity, how dumb of an idea is this?

98 points

Rear Admiral Chiraneau (64)
VT-49 Decimator (46), Predator (3), Darth Vader (3), Kylo Ren (3), Gunner (5), Engine Upgrade (4)

Omicron Group Pilot (34)
Lambda-Class Shuttle (21), Accuracy Corrector (3), Ion Cannon (3), Agent Kallus (2), Mara Jade (3), Ion Projector (2)

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Hmmmm...maybe pair RAC with a TIE Aggressor with an ion turret.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

ConfusedUs posted:

The really scary part of Nym, Genius + Trajectory Simulator, just got nerfed. I expect you may see some, but it's far weaker on the joust without that.

Blind Miranda and focus her down. Shouldn't take you more than a couple of rounds. Even if you lose RAC, VI Vader can take out Nym. Typically it's Miranda who has the infinite bombs. Combined with her regen, it can be very hard to take her out with a lone ace.

Now if you're NOT running VI Vader, you may have a lot more trouble with Nym.

I have another dumb question. When you say "focus her down", what does that mean exactly? Use your focus tokens to reduce damage you get from Miranda?

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Ah ok, that makes sense. Thanks!

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

bunnyofdoom posted:

Yes

Great cool game.

Talk me out of talking my girlfriend into a tournament next weekend.

Cause uh, we haven't practiced too much and I don't want her to get crushed.

I signed up for the Hoth Open at Adepticon, and I've played maybe a dozen competitive games. I fully expect to get destroyed, but it will be interesting anyway.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

ConfusedUs posted:

I'm trying to get a group together to go to this. I got at least one buddy who's in.

I've never been there, but it sounds like fun. I'm also playing in the team tournament with a friend and his 12 year old son. We're going to fly an X-Wing each and have fun with it.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

So is there anything interesting but still competitive for Imperials now besides gunboat harpoon lists? That's what I'm planning on taking to Adepticon, but it might be nice to try something a little less common.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I had a RAClo/TIE Silencer list I want to try out next time I get a chance to play. Probably not very effective,. but fun at least.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Ok, showing my ignorance again. How does that RAClo list deal a pile of damage? I can see 6 from the Decimator, plus 4 from the Harpoon. Am I missing something else?

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

canyoneer posted:

https://youtu.be/DWPnTfbsAas

Here's Drew Bishop clowning on a Miranda/Corran list with RAClo plus Blackout at last week's system open. This match shows some really great maneuvering and strategy on when to place the crits.

I'm not sure I'd have that kind of patience.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I don't usually play Rebels, but I'm trying to put together something for my wife to play. How's this look?

98 points

PILOTS

Miranda Doni (46)
K-Wing (29), Twin Laser Turret (6), Extra Munitions (2), Harpoon Missiles (4), Sabine Wren (2), Thermal Detonators (3), Long Range Scanners (0),

Captain Nym (52)
Scurrg H-6 Bomber (30), Veteran Instincts (1), Harpoon Missiles (4), Twin Laser Turret (6), Bomblet Generator (3), Havoc (0), Engine Upgrade (4), Accuracy Corrector (3), “Genius” (0), Trajectory Simulator (1)

I know they updated the Genius/TS interaction, but I thought having both would still give some extra flexibility on where to put bombs. I might swap out Thermal Detonators for something else too.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Fingers crossed for a third Millennium Falcon!

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

It looks like that little side pod has some big guns in it. I could see a TIE with one or two cannon slots and a crew slot.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

A friend of mine put together a list for his son to play at the Hoth open. It's a Chewie/Lando 2 Falcon list. I got sad just seeing it. It will be good for him, since there's not a lot too it, but holy poo poo is it going to be a slog to fly against.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

They should release a box with A-Wing and B-wing updates, and call it "We also have these other ships."

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

The single biggest thing I've learned from watching X-Wing tournament games on YouTube is that even the top players do some bafflingly dumb stuff sometimes. Not that that was necessarily dumb, just a missed range estimate. Still, I feel better about my own mistakes.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

There's still plenty of stuff to mine I think. They can still reach back to Clone Wars stuff, and there's plenty of new comics and books to look at.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I played against a Lando/Chewie list yesterday, and it made me want to kill myself after an hour it was so tedious. On the other hand landing a double Harpoon on Lando was nice.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I tried out something similar to this last weekend, and had some success. I tweaked it a little to remove some deadweight. It's what I'm likely flying in the Open and Adepticon. Anyone have comments?

99 points

PILOTS

Rho Squadron Veteran (31) x 2
Alpha-class Star Wing (21), Deadeye (1), Extra Munitions (2), Harpoon Missiles (4), Guidance Chips (0), Cruise Missiles (3)

“Quickdraw” (37)
Special Forces TIE (29), Veteran Instincts (1), Fire-Control System (2), Cruise Missiles (3), Special Ops Training (0), Lightweight Frame (2)

The plan is to hit whatever looks the most dangerous with 3 cruise missiles on the joust, then Harpoon things until they die or I do, with QD sniping at whatever he can hit.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Funzo posted:

I tried out something similar to this last weekend, and had some success. I tweaked it a little to remove some deadweight. It's what I'm likely flying in the Open and Adepticon. Anyone have comments?

99 points

PILOTS

Rho Squadron Veteran (31) x 2
Alpha-class Star Wing (21), Deadeye (1), Extra Munitions (2), Harpoon Missiles (4), Guidance Chips (0), Cruise Missiles (3)

“Quickdraw” (37)
Special Forces TIE (29), Veteran Instincts (1), Fire-Control System (2), Cruise Missiles (3), Special Ops Training (0), Lightweight Frame (2)

The plan is to hit whatever looks the most dangerous with 3 cruise missiles on the joust, then Harpoon things until they die or I do, with QD sniping at whatever he can hit.

Bringing this up again, anyone have any thoughts?

edit: QD should be SHE. I apologize for mis-gendering the Emperor's finest.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Cobbsprite posted:

Can't do it. You need the OS-1 Arsenal Loadout title to load both Harpoon Missiles and Cruise Missiles. That title is an extra two points per Rho Squadron Veteran, meaning you'll end up at 103 points. Dump the Cruise Missiles from Quickdraw to make it work, or drop the Cruise Missiles from the RSVs to gain an extra 3 points to spend anywhere.

That's what I get for blindly trusting the online tool.
I'm not sure if I should pull the missile from QD, or get rid of Cruise Missiles on the gunboats on give QD a tech upgrade.

Funzo fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Mar 15, 2018

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Still playing around with Rho Boats. I got clobbered last night due to very bad positioning on my part. I'm also not sold on QD, and I really don't think tooled up gunboats are going to get to use all those missiles before they get killed. I'm thinking of going with this instead:

99 points

PILOTS

Rho Squadron Veteran (28) x 2
Alpha-class Star Wing (21), Deadeye (1), Extra Munitions (2), Harpoon Missiles (4), Guidance Chips (0)

Test Pilot “Blackout” (43)
TIE Silencer (31), First Order Vanguard (2), Push the Limit (3), Advanced Sensors (3), Advanced Optics (2), Autothrusters (2)

View: http://xwing-builder.co.uk/view/789817/alpha-strike-2

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

So what are people doing to counter Ghost/Fenn hijinks? That 4 TLT shots per round is just obnoxious.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I got housed by Dengar in the first round, and lost to Brobots in the second. I am not very good at this game.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I pulled out all my X-Wing stuff to re-organize it all and consolidate all the various tokens and bits. Holy poo poo, have I spent a lot of money on this dumb game.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Icon Of Sin posted:

It's a cheap hobby, all things considered. It could've been cars, boats, or scuba diving :v:

This is true. Compared to what I've spent on homebrewing equipment, it's pretty minor.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Just curious, has anyone come up with a good list using the Kimoglia? It just doesn't seem like it does anything particularly well.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Do we know what upgrade slots those cheap PS1 X-Wing pilots have?

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Gen Con is going to be crazy.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

It sounds like there’s a $50 box that covers upgrades for every released ship in a faction.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

How are they handling upgrade cards? Are there new versions of cards in the upgrade boxes? Is it all in the app?

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

It sounds like upgrades and upgrade costs will all be handled with the app.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I don't see Scurrg Bomber in that Rebel conversion box. I know Slave I is Scum only now, looks like Nym is too.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

So how are they going to distribute the new upgrade cards? I'm really hoping each conversion box comes with the same ones, and they give you everything that they're keeping. This being FFG though, I'm assuming they'll spread them out, so the scum box has the new cards that came with Scum ships, Imperial box gets card that came with Imperial ships, stuff like that. I really hope that's not the case though.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

What are the odds they got their poo poo together and put in standardized keywords for everything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Team Covenant has a game play video up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TxiyKlHeSU

• Locked thread