Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.
Played another couple games tonight.

My buddy and I swapped factions to see what it's like on the other side. I played Whisper with PtL, ACD; Yorr with Rebel Captive, HLC; Howrunnder with Wingman. I lost but really liked the stress shuffle I was pulling around.

Came back to Rebs for a more serious back to basics list with Wedge, R2D2, Swarm; 2x Rookie Pilot; Gold Squad, Ion Turret. I won with a bit of luck with the dice, and Ion'ing a Defender twice to allow sweet Range 1 shots up his tailpipe.

I like it, I may use that this weekend for a tournament, but man, I do miss my YT...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

signalnoise posted:

Anyone know when they expect a reprint of the Y-Wing, A-Wing, TIE Interceptor, Slave 1, and Falcon? The stars aligned, my wife said she'd play, and I can do overtime at will so now I am planning to have at least one of each expansion, but the Y, A, and Interceptor are priced high as poo poo due to them being out of stock anywhere reasonable.

Have you checked Barnes and Noble nearby? Mine had most of these in stock last time i was in.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

I, too, played a tournament today. I went 3-1, which is way better than I thought I would do. I lost to a triple phantom build that because of my misplay just erased Chewie.

The build, which was stolen from here, was:

Chewie + Gunner
Green Squad with PtL and Cluster Missiles
Dagger Squad with Advanced Sensors.

I almost always forgot to use the drat missiles, so I might give Outmaneuver to the Dagger or engine upgrade to Chewbacca. I also only used the Gunner twice, but it was due to my opponent either figuring out 1 damage isn't too bad compared to a new re-roll, or just good dice. The times he got used were gold, though.

Man, Phantoms are scary! Surprised I don't see them with a Captive more often.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

Meh. Hsu's tactics almost didn't pay off for him, so I don't this will be some "hot new tech" you see down at the shop. Fortressing, as I understanding it, isn't terribly new as a concept.

I'm stuggling to demonize someone who used a known but incredibly risky (if not stupid) tactic and almost lost. I'm more apt to blame the dice here.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

Chill la Chill posted:

But, Hsu wasn't ahead in the game. Running down the clock when ahead is fine by me in any timed game. That's practically how Han lists usually win.

The question is if being behind in the game and running down the clock for a chance at winning the game with a snipe is considered legitimate.

Speaking as someone who organizes and runs events for game tournaments frequently, I don't think there is a perfect solution. You can't make a set of rules to force players to "not act like a dick, because what is and isn't a "dick move" isn't something you'll get 100% agreement on among all players.

FFG really ought to give TOs the ability to judge (and potentially be responsible for those judgments) on what is considered "unsportsmanlike." Hsu's demeanor may have really been what aggravated the situation, but honestly I don't think there's an elegant way to prevent fortressing.

Th nature of the tactic is also being glossed over, IMO. That game could have just as easily gone the other way, and he would have been seen as a fool who got to worlds just to gently caress with someone. Alternatively, the opponnt could have easily taken his ball and gone to a corner, and let initiative win the match for them.

Again, Hsu's attitude is not being defended here. His tactics were silly, and only won by random chance, really. Who would rely on a late game snipe to carry them?

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

Chill la Chill posted:

Don't get the B-wing solo model. The pilots included aren't very good. All the pilots you want are in the rebel aces set. The only reason to get it would be to get the autoblaster and I think heavy laser cannon.

I refuse to hear anything overly bad about Itsibaum, or whatever the gently caress "stress me baby, oooooooh yeah" is called.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

Chill la Chill posted:

Are you guys regularly doing tournaments or playing? I get my money's worth but it seems like it's 40k for some of you who have large armies but never have enough time to play.

It's true I buy 1-2 copies of everything (just for the Rebels,) but this game is one of many I play, so yeah, I'd have time to play if I had fewer commitments in my life.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

I pay my bills, I make a decent wage, I can spend my money how I drat well please. :murica:

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

Obama 2012 posted:

What do you mean by 'sensor boosters'? System Upgrades?

What would you think of popping an Ion cannon on him instead of an auto blaster? If one crit getting through is all I'm relying on anyway, I would be able to trade that for 1 regular damage and an ion token. For a high evade/shielded target, that may be a good deal...

That's actually pretty interesting! A cit means that Ten can effectively always Ion something. However, the only thing I'd caution against is that large ships (which need two Ion tokens to be Ionized, or whatever it's called,) are pretty popular in the meta.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

bunnyofdoom posted:

Also, I see no ION token.

It's in there. I don't see the point of the astromech and EPT ones, though.

those might make cute buttons for players, though.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

I've been having fun with:

Hobbie w/ Flechette Torps, R2D6, MF, Opportunist

Wes w/ VI, FT, MF

Wedge w/ Opportunist.

The idea is Wes shoots off any beneficial tokens, and the other fire 4/5 dice at the unlucky sum'bitch. What was wierd is I old my opponent the schtick ahead of time in the games I played with it last week, but they all target Hobbie First. It's a fun list.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

Talk me out of just buying a ton of Scum and Villainy. Please.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

Carteret posted:

I would, but that that would only delay the inevitable. You'd be mad because they'll be out of stock when you finally give in.

So long, money!

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

Halverine posted:

Over on the FFG forums there was a thread by some dude who got to talk to Alex Davy, on of the lead X-Wing designers, at his local store tournament. He dropped some interesting hints:

Wave 7 is pretty much done and gives focus to bombers and bombs (Skipray Blastboat perhaps?)

They are currently working on Wave 8.

It's extremely unlikely they will ever release card only expansions.

He would like to see the X-Wing get some love in the future.

He also mentioned he thought the HWK would have been fine with 2 attack instead of 1. Interesting how things could have turned out with that ship if the final decision had gone that way.

Is it weird that I'd field an HWK a LOT more if it rolled more than a single die?

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

I just bought two Phantoms, have a ton of S&V coming in, and got a new case to carry it all since the red plano case no longer holds all my mans.

gently caress this hobby, man. I spend way too much money on this.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

Chill la Chill posted:

The lack of storage options is what's actually keeping me from buying the new wave. Might buy a Plano so I can start using it as my tournament kit and leave the toolbox at home.

I bought this bad rear end:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Plano-Angled-Tackle-System/15904153

I have one that holds the plethora of poo poo you need for Imperial Assault, so I expect this to carry everything but the Corvette.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

I was cleaning up my hobby room, and found a TIE Defender and an A Wing both new in box. That was my 7th A wing.

Please send help.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

Chance II posted:

Am I sinking too many points into a single model here? I could fly this with 3 M3-As equipped with flachette cannons.

46 points

Pilots
------

Guri (46)
StarViper (30), Outmaneuver (3), Advanced Proton Torpedoes (6), Virago (1), Autothrusters (2), Advanced Sensors (3), Inertial Dampeners (1)

That's an awful lot of points for 5 HP.

I just got my scum in, woo!

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

IG88-B (49)
Aggressor (36), Predator (3), Fire-Control System (2), “Mangler” Cannon (4), Feedback Array (2), IG-2000 (0), Autothrusters (2)

IG88-C (49)
Aggressor (36), Predator (3), Fire-Control System (2), “Mangler” Cannon (4), Feedback Array (2), IG-2000 (0), Autothrusters (2)

drat, but this is fun to build.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

Strobe posted:

Is Predator the best idea on that build with a FCS? You'll have a target lock for at least half of your shots if not more, and Predator+TL is pretty close to not useful at all.

May I suggest Advanced Sensors instead, for capitalizing on those funky loops?

I don't think Advanced Sensors is an EPL.

EDIT: I am dumb. Advice well taken!

Feeple fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Feb 28, 2015

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

Strobe posted:

The only reason I suggested it is because I played against a guy running IG88B and D last night, and I suggested Predator for his EPTs (he had Marksmanship before). He spent so much time doing the S-loops to keep my A-wings in arc that he was stressed half the game. He always had a TL and predator, though by dint of the cannon gunner, and predator was less than useful.

Using Adv Sensors and lots of loops is unpredictable as hell. Especially with the D, the one that lets you do the funky hard 3 k.

Oh, I dig it. It's a very good call! :)

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

Poopy Palpy posted:

I hadn't realized that the Star Viper and the Aggressor were the same size. The peg goes in them from different directions, though, so one's base is 4x larger.

Yeah, base size is crazy in this wave.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

So, here's my dilemma:

I had some fun with this list:

IG88-B (50)
Aggressor (36), Predator (3), Advanced Sensors (3), “Mangler” Cannon (4), Feedback Array (2), IG-2000 (0), Autothrusters (2)

IG88-C (50)
Aggressor (36), Predator (3), Advanced Sensors (3), “Mangler” Cannon (4), Feedback Array (2), IG-2000 (0), Autothrusters (2)

I need to buy another Defender to get that second Predator, though. I think I may want to swap to PTL for the EPT, though. What do you all think?

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

Or just a fuckin' space galleon. Why the Hell not.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

bunnyofdoom posted:

It's hard to make a pilot ability for "Mary Sue"

Watch:

"*Mary Sue"
Title. 0 pts.
Ignore ship's Pilot Skill and ability. Do, 1 card of facedown damage to this ship to do 3 facedown damage to another ship within range 1-5. Then discard one damage card to this ship.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

If peoplecome to tournaments expecting to pay rent or their car payment by winning X wing, poo poo is going to get real intense real fast.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

Is anyone using Tycho effectively anymore? A pal of mine won an alt Tycho art card (and I like him as an EU character,) so i kind of want to show off the card and play with him. Given PTL is practically default.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

What's AC in the context of tournament events?

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

Veritek83 posted:

Air conditioning is my bet- just think about all that nerd mass crammed into a store for a whole summer's day.

Oh, Ok. I thought it was some scoring concept I hadn't heard of. It's been a few months since I played in an event, so I wasn't sure.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

To celebrate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VBoB5zuOFg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftQvjqzfsBg

Now I have to find an appropriate sized toilet.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

Spend $200 on those fancy clear dice? gently caress that, I backed this dude's Kickstarter, and here they are!

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

zVxTeflon posted:

Link? I wish he would have kept the actual icons but i guess theyd shut him down for that

It was part o this:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/thedarkpilot/star-wars-x-wing-game-transparent-dice/description

I have no clue if he made extras.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

Teflon, I am sorry! Turns out the dude is selling those transparent dice via his site. http://www.sagaborn.com/store/

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

zVxTeflon posted:

When it was at like 50 euros I was like yeah maybe i can prob resell them for more when the novelty wears off and i realize i paid that much for tiny pieces of plastic then it went to 90+ with 2min left and fuuuuuuck that

http://www.sagaborn.com/store/rpg-accessories/16starfighterdice
:ssh:

Feeple fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Aug 23, 2015

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

Who do I kill to get the SWTOR PC ships? I need the Jedi Sage and Bounty Hunter ships bad.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My list lately has been just that:

Poe with PTL R5-P9 and Autothrusters

Ello with VI, Autothrusters

Red Squad Veteran with Targeting Astro and IA.

I just love those damned T-70s.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

Some Numbers, email me at feeple at g mail dot com by Friday, and I will send you three ships with all their stuff. FOC.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

Devlan Mud posted:

gently caress GenCon early releases.

Seriously. I get that GenCon should and needs to have neat preview purchases to help drive in ticket sales, but honestly, anything previewed 2+ months in advance can go gently caress itself. I don't feel that GenCon should be a shopping event, yet here we are. FFG isn't even the only offender here. Hell WizKids had people getting hurt over their prereleases, which were presented as exclusives for their objectively worse Star Trek game.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

This seems dumb enough to work...

Old Teroch (31)
Protectorate Starfighter (26), Fearlessness (1), Concord Dawn Protector (1), Stealth Device (3)

Kad Solus (30)
Protectorate Starfighter (25), Fearlessness (1), Concord Dawn Protector (1), Stealth Device (3)

Palob Godalhi (38)
HWK-290 (20), Predator (3), Twin Laser Turret (6), Bossk (2), Cloaking Device (2), Moldy Crow (3), Stygium Particle Accelerator (2)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

Gildiss posted:

Going to be playing this tomorrow night with coworkers. Pretty much everyones first time playing.

What are some generic tips so I can frag have a fun time with my coworkers?

You are going to think this is a dice-based game, at first. I did. Then I kept playing, and realized I was a dumbass and flying like a baby, so yeah, dice were going to factor heavily into that. Flying creatively to get shots that your opponent doesn't have in return is where you want to be.

Learn to "eyeball" spacing. a 1 forward maneuver template is 1 small base length long, meaning at the smallest move, you are moving 2 ship lengths. the hard turns are at 45 degree angles, so use your firing arc to figure out where the template will end up.

MOST IMPORTANT BIT: Relax, have fun!

• Locked thread