Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
I surprised myself at how quickly Padme and her crew came together. I had been daunted by them for a while but when I got to it, they went quickly and were fun. I'd like the gradient on one of the handmaiden's robes to be smoother, but so it goes.

Now I just need to paint four more models to be all caught up ahead of the next wave of releases.

Muir fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jan 30, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Wave One complete! There are some I'll go back and do better, including most of the faces, but I'm satisfied for now. Wave Two hits here February 23, so just in time.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Muir posted:

Wave One complete! There are some I'll go back and do better, including most of the faces, but I'm satisfied for now. Wave Two hits here February 23, so just in time.

Nice! I have all mine "done" but in the next month I need to finalize what I'm bringing to Adepticon and fancy them up. Assuming I don't decide to bring any of the new stuff.... :cry:

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Do you have to qualify for worlds for shatterpoint or legion like you do xwing and armada?

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
For Legion, yes. You need an invite from winning or placing at a certain sized event to qualify.

Edit: there's usually a last chance qualifier ran the day before to fill any remaining spots.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Whats the easiest way to create a still image opening crawl with a file size small enough to be texted? Intended for RPG use.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
This is a thing, I guess.

https://starwarsunlimited.com/how-to-play?chapter=how-to-play

I think I'm done buying booster packs for CCG, especially after Star Wars Destiny, but maybe if it's fun?

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Finster Dexter posted:

I think I'm done buying booster packs for CCG, especially after Star Wars Destiny, but maybe if it's fun?

I can’t stop playing. I’m currently playing about ten games a week on TTS or webcam and I’d like to jam more.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"

Finster Dexter posted:

I think the closest game to it is Hearthstone. If you played Hearthstone, you probably have a good idea if you’ll dig it or not.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

My local store has a preview event on March 2 that I'm really looking forward to. Demo games and then a three round Swiss event.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I should talk to my local store. I wasn’t super interested at first but I don’t mind playing a competitive game here and there and the mechanics actually look kinda fun.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
I've tooled around on force table a bunch and played in a demo event last weekend. My partner and older son enjoyed it so we're hitting up the pre-release next weekend. So far it's been a ton of fun.

https://www.forcetable.net/swu

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

So I watched a learn to play video on Unlimited, and ok, it's basically a starwars reskin of Hearthstone. I'm not sure I like the separation of land and space minions, and the initiative thing is kinda weird. I think the appeal of Hearthstone was how goofy it could be which kinda carried its simplistic game play. I'm not sure slapping the Starwars IP onto its 6th, 7th?? card game at this point is enough to keep it interesting.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

banned from Starbucks posted:

So I watched a learn to play video on Unlimited, and ok, it's basically a starwars reskin of Hearthstone. I'm not sure I like the separation of land and space minions, and the initiative thing is kinda weird. I think the appeal of Hearthstone was how goofy it could be which kinda carried its simplistic game play. I'm not sure slapping the Starwars IP onto its 6th, 7th?? card game at this point is enough to keep it interesting.

It bears very little resemblance to Hearthstone other than that they're both dude-bashers who exist in the shadow of Magic: The Gathering. The closer resemblance is probably Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn.

Edit: In other news, MJ is out.

https://twitter.com/NatsunoYoru/status/1762908403033149824

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

CitizenKeen posted:

It bears very little resemblance to Hearthstone other than that they're both dude-bashers who exist in the shadow of Magic: The Gathering. The closer resemblance is probably Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn.

It plays a lot like Battletech, but with two attacking lanes and Commander/Objective cards that announce your deck's basic plan.

Also the cards are godawful ugly. Just this terrible mix of bad illustration and cheapass roto.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I can't imagine why they used such poo poo art.

They have years of art they could have used.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
The art looks fine that's just a poo poo image of it.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Yeah, sorry, this art is dope.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

alg posted:

I can't imagine why they used such poo poo art.

They have years of art they could have used.

And if we're going to be critiquing art and layout (let's!), maybe use the actual cards instead of fan recreations.

Double posting because apparently I can't SA in the morning.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Just posting what I had seen in a preview, no intention of making the game look bad since there's no way I'll play another FFG Star Wars game, especially a CCG.

The other Yoda still looks like dogshit to me, but I played the LCG and the RPG for years so I am used to that style.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

I contend that if they're serious about a long lifespan they probably finally had to finally relent on getting new art and having a generalized style guide or whatever it's technically called. FFG has stuck with the pseudo-reslistic style with absolute tons and tons of reusing of the same art throughout their games over the last decade or so. Having dabbled in a lot of them it does kinda get old to see the same piece repurposed for yet another upgrade card or similar. I would genuinely be disappointed to see that stuff pop up yet again here.

I reckon they said if this is potentially gonna involve years of expansions they need to establish a new thing and a stable of artists. Solidifying the notion that everything will be made for Unlimited and have a "cartoony" style in some manner or another leaves leeway for artistic freedom while making it reasonable to represent anything they could possibly want, including a lot of things quite literally pulled from cartoons. Love or hate the actual style it makes sense to me that they'd want to break away from their archives of existing stuff for what their goal of this game is.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Yeah that's a solid point. Seeing the same painting of X-wings doing X-wing things in every FFG game gets old fast.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
FFG tend to lowball artists, then re-use their art several times so its possible that a lot of the higher end artists just feel its not worth the hassle to work with them.

They also aren’t using the official Star Wars symbols for Rebel Alliance and Empire, instead more generic inspired by symbols.
It’d be strange but possible that the license is a little weird and they can use the characters, but not the characters likeness from the films.

Also possible it’s just a slightly cartoony art style because the game is meant to be more Hearthstoney and they modelled the art style of it.

thatguyclint
Apr 11, 2005
See, I didn't know that...ducks eat for free at Subway.

HidaO-Win posted:

They also aren’t using the official Star Wars symbols for Rebel Alliance and Empire, instead more generic inspired by symbols.

This is likely because they're more generic Light/Dark symbols, since the game covers every potential corner of the universe; the door is open for Old Republic, High Republic, Clone Wars/PT, OT, Sequel Trilogy, and all points in between.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

HidaO-Win posted:

FFG tend to lowball artists, then re-use their art several times so its possible that a lot of the higher end artists just feel its not worth the hassle to work with them.

It’d be strange but possible that the license is a little weird and they can use the characters, but not the characters likeness from the films.

Also possible it’s just a slightly cartoony art style because the game is meant to be more Hearthstoney and they modelled the art style of it.

As noted, the Rebel Alliance and Empire symbols don’t make sense in the broader context of the game.

They absolutely have the rights to likenesses, but they need a style that can accommodate actors but also characters from shows like the early stylized Clone Wars and Young Jedi Adventures and also from the video games like Jedi Survivor and Battlefront and also from comic books and books, so hyper realistic doesn’t make sense.

The only thing they weren’t given permission to do that we’ve heard about is to define the looks of the fourth member of Inferno Squadron, who appears in the books but not the games, so they use her call sign and give her a ship.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
They could have just slapped a helmet on her. It's not like anybody would have noticed.

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

Went to a prerelease of Star Wars Unlimited. Lost 3 out of 4 matches. Had tons of fun. This game is legit.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Yeah just wrapped one up; All of the ever-present "how long will FFG support this" aside, it was super fun and everyone had a blast. Having tried to kinda avoid worrying about any prerelease meta analysis stuff I was pleasantly surprised as to how thoughtful a things were as far as sequencing and actions, especially once you hit mid game. I was worried it would possibly be a little frontloaded or snowball-y but that wasn't the case at all. Here's to hoping it has legs cause that was a great first impression.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
They should reuse some of the art, like the weird looking Dash Rendar or crosseyed Corran Horn

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Went to prerelease.

Game was a blast. Went 2 for 3. First game I ran IG-88 and lost and really just didn’t pay attention to deck building. I switched to Vader and changed out some of my cards and it went a lot better. Vader was a monster. Both games he was able to take out opponent weenie cards and then kept up with chip damage.

There’s a lot of strategy and we had a blast. There was only 4 of us, but it was a good time. Felt sorry for one guy cause he went 0-3 while we all went 2-1 (I got tiebreaker and technically was first)

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
My closest local is doing 4 prereleases this weekend. ~20 people at tonight’s. I went 3-0 with Vader Green Good Stuff; didn’t get the big financial pack luck but got some good mechanical synergies.

Playing an FFG game with limited baked in at the beginning is such a new experience. Room was hyped.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

CitizenKeen posted:

And if we're going to be critiquing art and layout (let's!), maybe use the actual cards instead of fan recreations.

The better-looking Yoda with the grey-ish border is an organized play promo. The ugly Yoda is the actual card in packs. And it's a good example of how so many of the cards are just shockingly bad rotoscope.

There's nothing wrong with these two Chewbacca cards on their own, but it's obvious they're not creating some kind of cohesive look.

What is this, what are we even doing.

Can an image be the thread title?

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Mar 3, 2024

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
I'm trying to withold my opinion on a game I'm def not going to play, but drat, Search your Feelings and Han Solo being done by the same artist is crazy

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Jesus those are dire and I've been playing star wars games for more than 3 decades

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I'm whatever on the style thing, but that Han art has bonkers color going on with the face.

Triple-Kan
Dec 29, 2008
They're stylized like they were drawn for a Golden Books My First Star Wars. There's a real toon element to them, but I can't say I mind it.

However, the art of Han on "Bamboozle" looks like he's played by Andy Samberg.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

That Old Tree posted:

I'm whatever on the style thing, but that Han art has bonkers color going on with the face.

flashbacks to Elder Scrolls IV Char Creator

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

That Old Tree posted:

han needs to get checked out for liver failure

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
All the people I played at the promo event thought the art looked fine. It also looks a bit better when it’s on a card in front of you instead of on a screen as well.

I honestly don’t care. I managed to play original Sentinels of the Multiverse and the art on that was dire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I know different styles and whatever, but drat comparing the FFG Star Wars art from like a decade ago to this stuff is just... wow.

I mean I know the company has fallen hard but jeez.