Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

It looks like a decent cleaner and more lightweight take on 40k and I'm very interested as to how it pans out. Super curious as to how they'll handle factions and additional content and support. Also those movement templates look like they'd be clunky as gently caress on a crowded board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

The idea of a full on unpainted, unassembled 30 mm tabletop wargame trying to utilize the X-Wing style of upgrade cards rubs me the wrong way quite a bit. I assume that's what they're doing with Runewars, but I haven't bought into it beyond the starter box so I'm not certain. But either way, at least with X-Wing you've got a fully contained package. Even if you pull out those autothrusters for some other list, now you've got a painted and ready to go starviper that you can put on the table whenever you feel like and ultimately spent 10 or 15 bucks. Having to grab a markedly more expensive model kit that could potentially sit in the box and be effectively unusable, especially if there's cross-faction stuff, is just too egregious.

I'm cool with how they do it in X-Wing even if I wish they would just sell card packs, but I'd hope they've got the sense to not try and push that model too hard with something that's different enough in nature to make it kind of fuckin stupid.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Yeah overall I am very excited for this the more I think about it, it's just that with it still being several months out it's hard to not think about ways they could gently caress it up or how it might fail to gain any traction. I'm totally on board with the scale though and think the size of stuff looks cool. I understand FFG wanting to try and eat GW's lunch and the Star Wars IP is certainly the best bet for doing that. Mechanically it looks like they've done some intelligent streamlining, and I like the almost Warmachine-eqsue thing of having one or two centerpiece guys that are powerhouses, and I hope balance is struck well there. My only real complaint there is that they didn't keep army size and firing ranges low enough to keep the table size down as well; It's a consistent complaint of mine to bitch about wargame table size and this unfortunately may finally prompt me to get a big 4x6 piece of plywood and gussy it up.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Yeah I've got a dining table that's a pretty standard size and just not quite right for wargames. It's perfect for X-Wing because it's a little over 3 feet wide, and might be 6 feet end to end with the leaf in it but it's oval shaped so it can't accommodate anything that's square or rectangular that's much bigger than the 3x3 playmat. First world problems ya know.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Prequels are dogshit and I'm extremely glad most new Disney-run material downplays them. X-Wing thankfully hasn't touched them and opted for old EU and new stuff, and I hope Legion follows suit. I want Kyle Katarn and Finn and Rey and poo poo and not some dumbass gungans and lovely battle droids.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Arquinsiel posted:

You've not been keeping up with X-wing for the last while have you? The ARC-170 is a thing already, and the Sheathipede is in wave 12.

Nah I follow X-Wing extremely closely, I just literally forgot that the ARC was from the prequels because it was so minor and inoffensive. Same deal with the shuttle if that was actually featured in the prequels as well. I thought that was entirely from the newer cartoon stuff.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

I contend that if they're serious about a long lifespan they probably finally had to finally relent on getting new art and having a generalized style guide or whatever it's technically called. FFG has stuck with the pseudo-reslistic style with absolute tons and tons of reusing of the same art throughout their games over the last decade or so. Having dabbled in a lot of them it does kinda get old to see the same piece repurposed for yet another upgrade card or similar. I would genuinely be disappointed to see that stuff pop up yet again here.

I reckon they said if this is potentially gonna involve years of expansions they need to establish a new thing and a stable of artists. Solidifying the notion that everything will be made for Unlimited and have a "cartoony" style in some manner or another leaves leeway for artistic freedom while making it reasonable to represent anything they could possibly want, including a lot of things quite literally pulled from cartoons. Love or hate the actual style it makes sense to me that they'd want to break away from their archives of existing stuff for what their goal of this game is.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Yeah just wrapped one up; All of the ever-present "how long will FFG support this" aside, it was super fun and everyone had a blast. Having tried to kinda avoid worrying about any prerelease meta analysis stuff I was pleasantly surprised as to how thoughtful a things were as far as sequencing and actions, especially once you hit mid game. I was worried it would possibly be a little frontloaded or snowball-y but that wasn't the case at all. Here's to hoping it has legs cause that was a great first impression.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Gina Carano getting replaced by the random Twilek from the prison ship episode. Fuckin owned.