Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
I feel like the only person on the forum/world who disliked FFG's X-Wing game, but Armada looks to be at a scale I find more interesting. I'm curious how close the mechanics will be to X-Wing though, which I ended up feeling were quite boring/random. It looks like it'll have some decent variety in the core box as well- When I was trying to get into X Wing the out-of-box gameplay was pretty limited with 2 TIEs and 1 X-Wing. Even after picking up a few additional ships, the game gained no traction in my group and I felt really disappointed with it.

Have they talked about how the squadrons will work in Armada?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

jivjov posted:

I haven't been following ImpAss (teehee) news that much...are they seriously trying to have a 'campaign driven' board game experience and a freeform skirmish game? I'm starting to think this is gonna end up being a muddled product that's trying to do too much.

I really want to be excited about Imperial Assault but this is one of the big concerns I have. Also, I have already invested too much in probably bad dungeon crawl games (curse you kickstarter)

I'm also having trouble finding images that provide some scale for the Armada miniatures. About how large is the Star Destroyer miniature it comes with?

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

So is the game going to be functionally different from Descent: Second edition in any major ways aside from star wars and selling tons of expansions?

The tacked on Skirmish battle mode that we don't really know anything about is the only thing that comes to mind

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
Out of curiosity, how much table space does Imperial Assault usually take up?

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

alg posted:

About half as much as xwing. The maps are pretty small

Good to know, thanks.

I'm considering being irresponsible and ordering it through book depository and having it shipped to my new apartment in Japan. If it takes up less than an X-Wing game that should definitely fit on the small table.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
I'm pretty sure I'm going to end up buying Imperial Assault, but probably not until June. I'm trying to read up on some more information, but I'm having trouble finding spoilers for a lot of the cards. Is there anywhere to browse through stuff like the skirmish command cards or agenda cards?

Also, which of the Ally or Villain packs feel like must-haves so far?

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

The Journey Fraternity posted:

If anyone's on the fence about ImpAss (like I was), a seller on Amazon has it for 68.45 with Prime, which is close to seven dollars off CSI's price.

I am on the fence about picking it up because of that, and shoving it in my luggage since the box wasn't as huge as I thought it would be. is there enough room in the box to store a couple of the expansions as well? I was thinking of getting the Royal Guard Champ, IG-88, Han & Chewie.

signalnoise posted:

Played skirmish ImpAss tonight. Can't say I'm impressed with it, but then again I was going in comparing it to actual skirmish minis games.

Just curious if you could go into more detail on any complaints? I'm mainly getting it for the campaign, but I'd also like to hear more info on the skirmish game.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

No ally. Jeez, another Imperial cock-up.

Its kind of reassuring me on the one hand that a lot of complaints people are having are the result of rules mistakes, but on the other hand its kind of worrying if it indicates the system is overly complicated or fiddly. I've got ImpAss and 5 of the Wave 1 Releases sitting in my Amazon cart and I'm really struggling to decide whether to pick it up or not. Its mostly wanting to make sure I'm getting a solid game for that price.

Speaking of which, what are the most necessary or useful of the Wave 1 sets?

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
Thanks for all the ImpAss feedback. I went ahead and bought it and every Ally/Villain pack except Weiss and Saboteurs. I am kind of regretting it, but cautiously optimistic. Should be able to get some gaming in over the next month and a half I'm here, and will try my best to fit it into my luggage when I move overseas. I have a bad habit of buying poo poo right before I leave a place.

I imagine its possible to condense everything down and get rid of the giant box before I leave, especially if the AT-ST remains unassembled. We're looking at like: tokens, miniatures that are pretty small except the AT-ST, cards, and then map tiles, right?

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

"Oh it's Round 6? Yeah you guys lose now because you were on a time limit. I don't know why you weren't going for the obviously important terminals and just kept killing my guys, what do you mean i didn't tell you any of that? It's secret information!"

Speaking of Ally and Villian packs do the ones that come with the generic guys (rebel saboteurs and Troopers) come with anything important? I have Han Chewie and IG-88 and they all came with skirmish stuff and a campaign mission around them and was wondering if it was worth the extra money to get the regular guys as well?

From what I understand they also come with a side mission for the campaign, command cards, and skirmish scenarios.

Has anyone tried playing with less than 4 rebels? How do the Legendary/Heroic adjustments work in practice? I was seeing some complaints on BGG about how the increased health totals made scenarios where the Imperial player had to wound all rebels nearly impossible. Are there any scenarios where thats the sole win condition?

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
How big is the table space needed for Armada?

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
If anyone gets their hands on Twin Shadows, I'm eagerly awaiting some first impressions/reviews

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
For Imperial Assault, I know that some of the ally/villain packs are tied to the different expansions/replacing tokens. As such, I imagine their missions would require the tiles or whatever from those expansions. Are the non-token replacement packs compatible with just the core set? If, for instance, I wanted to pick up the Stormtrooper/Hired Guns/etc. packs, would their missions be playable without any of the big box expansions?

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

NTRabbit posted:

Bossk is just big and angry, I think that probably checks out.

Whenever I think of Bossk I think of this-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VBoB5zuOFg

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
The biggest thing keeping me from Armada is the size of the playing area. A 3x3 table is about all I can realistically work with, since I'd be playing games at home. From what I understand that's fine for the Starter Set, but beyond that it's about half the size it should be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
I bought ImpAss last fall and still have never had a chance to play it. :smith:

I think I'll start painting the models though, just for kicks.