Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

The Watch posted:

Armada looks really cool. The preview makes it look like the mechanics are really going to emphasize the size and lack of maneuverability of these ships. I really wanted Star Destroyers to play with in the Xwing game, but knew the size issues meant that would never happen, so this is really exciting news for me.

They'll be about twice the size of the Victory, so about the size of the corvette model in X-wing, and that's only if they are real sticklers for keeping the same scale for everything, which they've already proven not to be. I think the chances of our seeing the ISD and Mon Cal cruisers is good, assuming the base set sells well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Tekopo posted:

I really dislike the look of that Assault Frigate. It just looks kind of blobby :(

Worst of all, it's from Empire at War.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

blackmongoose posted:

There really isn't much out there from the films beyond what's in Wave 1, especially if they don't want to compromise too much on scale. From the films for the Imperials, you've got ISDs, which would be gigantic, and the Executor, which would be a table to play on, not a ship. All the Rebels have left from the films are transports and MonCals (also too big). Everything else is around fighter scale.

They're playing fast and loose with scale (the frigate would be twice the size of the corvette, otherwise, and the fighters mere specks), so the ISD model might very well not be perfectly to scale with the Victory. The rebel transports showed up at Endor in some kind of fleet capacity, so they're probably eligible, too. And there's this thing, which was on screen in ROTJ, too, but hasn't been in any game property since.

Given FFG's dedication to EU material, I'm betting that yes, we'll see Dreadnoughts and Carracks and Interdictors and whatnot before any prequel or sequel content.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

jivjov posted:

I'm honestly just surprised the newer supplements don't have a Legends banner on the cover. Maybe Disney is making all those species and planets part of the new canon? Since it's mostly plot points that would get overwritten by new stuff. Or maybe I'm just thinking too hard about it?

For an older example, see how long they got away with making Star Fleet Battles based on a loophole in Paramount's Star Trek copyright.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

They look sort of unfinished. Like the wash hasn't been applied to them.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

The fighter stands needed some filing before they'd all go together. Anyone else having Armada hardware QA problems?

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Zerf posted:

Are you sure you're inserting them right? My buddy had lots of problems with assembling the fighters, but he didn't see the flat part of the base. Once we realized the stands could only go into the base one way, it was easy(arrow should point toward the flat part of the hole in the base).

Most TIEs are warped though :/

Some fit fine, some had bits of flash that I had to trim off.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

One of the flaws of both game systems is that they have no allowance for retreat.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

StuG Jeebus posted:

Is that the one in which the two sides compete to pull civilians off the board? Our rebels won it, but I remember it being pretty close.

There's a case for this in Armada, but X-wing? Part of the reason X-wing is so great is it's simplicity and I'm kinda glad it doesn't waste time on rules for fleeing.

It seems like hit-and-run ought to be what the Rebels are all about, though. And if no one can hyper away, what will Interdictors do?

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

The long-range dice have blanks, and the short-range dice have blanks, but the mid-range dice don't. That doesn't seem right to me somehow, but I'm interested to see how it plays out.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Strobe posted:

A Dominator already rolls eight dice in the forward arc, in the exact same configuration (for a Victory I) or an arguably even more effective 3R/5U arrangement (for a Victory II).

...which might lead one to suspect there is a title in there that would add more dice to the Imp, as well.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Blamestorm posted:

I'm trying to decide how useful two core sets are. Assuming I'm planning to buy at least one of every expansion, it seems like two core sets aren't as cost efficient as in x-wing? I'll be mostly playing at home with friends. Any thoughts from those who have it? I'd like the extra range tool thing and damage cards etc for second players but maybe not worth the huge core set cost?

It's about twenty bucks' difference (retail) between the box and the three ships. If you buy an extra dice set and maneuver tool, the difference is essentially nil. So, I guess it depends on how much you want all those things?

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Kore_Fero posted:

Anyone else having trouble with adjusting the stuff on the fighter stands without accidentally nudging them slightly out of place? It's not a huge deal for a casual player like me but x-wing was fairly precise and you didn't have to touch the models quite so much.

I'm hoping that with use, the motion will free up enough on the sliders and discs that they'll be manipulable without having to pick them up.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

The fire-then-move mechanic makes for some very odd stern chases.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

AndyElusive posted:

I'm tempted to paint up at least one TIE Fighter in the new black and white scheme from the trailer.

That'd be a lot easier than trying to replicate the Chriss Foss paint job TIE from Rebels:

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

That's also a thing I've learned playing with the Corvette. It's greatest asset is it's speed, but ALWAYS staying in speed 4 will get you killed far more than sitting in the front arc of the Victory ever will. Sure you could take 8 damage in the front, but you can half that and then send the damage to your useless butt sector. You cant half the damage from going past the know galaxy

Getting in the Vic's rear arc seems like a no-brainer, but that just means he'll shoot at you at close range, move away, and you'll be returning fire at medium or long.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

On another topic, we don't know we're gonna do it, but me and my brother though it would be neat to combine Armada and the X-Wing miniatures game into one super game. Like have squadrons that are engaged go over to a separate area and play out a mini-game of X-Wing to settle who comes out of it. Sure it'd make things take twice as long as they already but i think it sounds like a neat idea!

From someone who's lived through the heady days of "Let's play War in the East and then, get this, instead of using the CRT, just resolve everything that happens inside the hex using a game of PanzerBlitz," let me tell you that at the end of that path lies madness.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Kilo147 posted:

Haha, all the identifiable capital ships? There's something like 10 well known Star Destroyers they have yet to make, and another 20 or so Corvettes to Heavy Cruisers just for the Imperials. The rebels have just as many choices, as well as stolen Imperial technology and Clone Wars era Republic ships.

Plus the CR90 and Nebulon in Imperial colors.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

FishFood posted:

I suspect they won't have Imperial versions of those rebel ships. They don't match the Imperial aesthetic and it could dilute the unique characters of the two factions.

You'll be arguing against a Rebel captured ISD as well, I'm guessing.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Kilo147 posted:

There's none pre-Battle of Endor.

Given the existence of the E- and K-wings in FFG products, I don't think that's a boundary.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Has anyone seen an Armada fleet builder yet? I figure it's going to get complicated pretty quick.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Strobe posted:

I'm generally dissatisfied with the CR90. It's just so fragile that a Victory, let alone a Gladiator, can just savage it with a single salvo any time it gets closer than long range.

CR90s should have ECM and hover at long range, where they have 2/3ds the firepower of a Victory. They won't ever be the decisive blow delivery, but they can and will be an omnipresent nuisance.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

So what are people using for storage for Armada? With all of Wave 1 the original box is getting a bit crowded now and the game is a bit to big for the X-Wing standard of Planos

I'm going with the same solution I had for X-wing: stackable ArtBin removable divider boxes. Instead of the satchel they make to carry the stacks, I just got pizza delivery bags.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

AndyElusive posted:

So you show up to game nights with what looks like piping hot pizza but instead pull out little plastic space ships?

Literally Hitler.

I was thinking about stenciling a logo on them, and "Literally Hitler Pizzeria" could be it.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

I'm gonna be real disappointed if Chopper doesn't wind up as an Astromech card in X-Wing is all I'm saying.

I'll be disappointed if his ability isn't to pick random actions and performing them instead of what the player ordered.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Wait-- we went through over a page of this, and no one managed "it's a small exhaust port, located just below the main port?" I weep for our youth.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Panzeh posted:

I'm not sure what the design direction for the rebels seems to be- they seem to be getting the lion's share of the mediocre poo poo.

That must be why they fight a guerrilla war from all those hidden bases.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Icon Of Sin posted:

It looks like a board game version of Empire at War (available on Steam for cheap now). That's not a bad thing in the least.

Better, really, since EaW never really treated the Rebellion as anything other than a peer power to the Empire--there was never a sense of a guerrilla war in space, hidden bases, that sort of thing. It was two powers fighting for territory. FFG's game at least attempts to give some asymmetric feel to it.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Yvonmukluk posted:

You know, I kind of wonder what TFA means for Armada. Spoilers, obviously.
I kind of wonder what they might give the Rebels/Resistance as a counterpart to the First Order's shiny new Star Destroyer, since they didn't establish an equivalent ship for the Resistance/New Republic (or even any capital ships, for that matter). I guess they could invent something like they did the Imperial Raider, or bring out something from the old EU like the Nebula.

You see some Republic ships get blown up with Hosnian Prime.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Finster Dexter posted:

That does not compute. I'm considering getting a second ISD just so I can run a "double deuce" list because who doesn't love giant loving star destroyers I don't even understand

Other ships exist to give you more fitting-out options for your ISD.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Eimi posted:

Those are Thranta class corvettes right? Does this mean that there's a chance other TOR era ships might be in play? :allears:

If they aren't, they're doing a pretty good impression.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Eimi posted:

That said I pray they give the Dreadnought to the Imperials because drat if that's not my favorite SW ship, aside from say the Eclipse. (Which I similarly hope they steal the design for and just make it Armada scale usable because that ship is awesome)

The Dreadnought is the one that has the best potential to be a both-factions ship.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Eimi posted:

That Dreadnought based Assault Frigate looks so much better than the current one. I guess it is too similar to the Nebulon however.

Dreadnoughts were used by both, they were phased out as large capital ships by the Victory and then the Imperial iirc. But they were still used. Also there are awesome, and an excuse to give Imperials something beyond wedges. And to give Rebels a ship that doesn't look terrible and isn't the Tantive IV.

With all the EU mining going on, I'm betting the next Imperial offering will be the interdictor, and then the strike cruiser.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

banned from Starbucks posted:

The Resurgent is supposed to be like twice the size of a reg SD. But since its never shown next to anything in the movie for size context they can just make it however big they want so who the hell really cares.

They've been playing fast and loose with scales since the beginning. The Nebulon and CR90 being the same size miniature, for example.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Chill la Chill posted:

:peanut: I’m hyped for these minis in a way I never was for IA. I still have an IA ATST I’m in the middle of painting so if the scale is off it’ll just be a baby-ST

They are pretty models, I concede, but the scope of Legion is, well, non-legionary. Am I foolish in hoping for something that relates to this game in the same way Armada does to X-wing?

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Stretching those scale differences to the utmost, no doubt.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

So they'll make an out of scale SSD for an epic game, but they won't make prequel ships or use them to give us a scum & villainy third faction. I want Venators, Acclamators, and CIS ships dagnabit :colbert:

That seems a lot more possible than it did yesterday.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Has anyone played any of the Armada campaign game, the Corellian sector one?

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Icon Of Sin posted:

Armada is getting Clone Wars content.

https://mobile.twitter.com/FFGames/status/1117103779910946817?fbclid=IwAR39zyU35gu3JEIFg2-Oc6zHr0yaV8bp_9dH79xy3xb73N2hB58SzIH9QVI

Maybe the Pelta and Arquitens get a re-skin/release for the Republic Navy?

There's several models that could do double duty for GCW and Clone War with different paint, so I'm hopeful.

Unrelated: I'm still baffled that Peltas are bigger ships rather than the same size as the CR-90.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Eimi posted:

Armada has a lot of good concepts but I agree that the original rules have a lot of kludge that got revealed. A reboot on the rules to sort out that stuff would be excellent. Granted I haven't played in ages, so I'm not sure what is even the 'meta' if one exists now. As for Clone Wars, maybe I'll finally get my Dreadnought? But I'm not sure if it even made it onto one of the tv shows. :ohdear: Also more factions is great, just for more design space. Though I do wonder what large ships could there possibly be for Clone Wars era stuff?

The Dreadnaughts were barely glimpsed in the last few eps of Rebels, so there's that.

Icon Of Sin posted:

The republic has a few options.

Venators: probably a medium base (wookiepedia lists them at 1100m long, with a VSD at 900m and an ISD at 1600m)
Acclamators: probably a medium too. Wookiepedia says they're 752m long, over 2x as long as a Nebulon B)
Consular cruiser (refit): definitely a small base (138m long, vs a CR-90 at 150m)

Add in the Pelta and the Arquitens and you've got some variety for a fleet, though none of them seem to rise to the length of anything with a large base in the game. The Separatists have a few that would be large and one that would potentially be a huge (the Lucrehulk), so I think they'd be pretty well covered.

I have to think the Venators would be a large, since it's pretty much the biggest thing the Republic has.