Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
This is no cave

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I'm interested in Imperial Assault.

Is there a good buyer's guide for Imperial Assault?
How long does it take to learn and play for a group that's never played something similar? What does setup/breakdown time look like, and how long are missions? How many missions are in a campaign?
If there's a good effortpost someone's written earlier in the thread, I'd love to read it.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Do we know when Twin Shadows is supposed to show up?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

NTRabbit posted:

Thanks to Disney, fanfic is all it is now :v:

Having perused the GBS thread of stupid Star Wars EU stuff, I'm convinced nothing of value was lost.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

They're stormtroopers, they're gonna miss anyway

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Chomp8645 posted:

It also came out later, after many people had already committed to X-wing.

Given the choice I would play Armada but I have X-Wing figures because they were what was available. I deliberately remember thinking "drat, I'd rather have fleet scale battles with capital ships, but oh well this looks fun too" when X-wing came out. I'll just be damned if I'm gonna spend that much money on a second "Star Wars Space Ship Game For Two Players" when I already have one.

X Wing core set is $40 MSRP. Armada core set is $100 MSRP. The individual ships are about 2x as expensive compared to their X-Wing counterparts (from an MSRP perspective). I'm not saying it's unreasonable. It just costs more on a per-ship basis (even if you're likely to field fewer total ships)

I'll probably not get into Armada for the same reason (already financially committed to wangs and still having a lot of fun with it), but the longer game time is not appealing to me either. It's hard to find time to play X-Wing, it would be at least twice as hard for me to find time for a longer game.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

blackmongoose posted:

So how long until someone comes up with rules to let you resolve Rebellion ground battles with Imperial Assault, space battles with Armada, and squadron fights in Armada with X-Wing?

Star Wars For North Africa
I need to use the calculation table to find out how much blue milk I have in my supply lines.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Looks awesome. I am excited to add it on the shelf next to Battlestar Galactica in my shrinkwrapped collection of "Games I am really excited to play but haven't had the time or group come together for"

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

drunkill posted:

Well the Empire didn't name their leader. I just meant ship/weapon names and such.

The Royal Navy naming scheme of the OT is great. Finalizer is American, doesn't fit the Space British Empire.

There are so many great RN ships to name it after! Like the HMS Gay Viking, HMS Gay Bruiser, HMS Woodcock, HMS Cockchafer, or HMS Spanker

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Fantasy Flight posted a preview for the IA Dengar villain pack.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/12/7/the-punishing-one/

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

jivjov posted:

Seeing as a cannon is a large projective weapon, I don't think anyone is expecting a game to be one of those.

Well this line of discussion was certainly a large bore

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Those CD wallets aren't archival and acid free or whatever, right? So it's possible that you'd have printing on the tiles transfer onto the vinyl?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Proudly displayed below the shamefully displayed Munchkin boxes :v:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Looking for Rebs in Alderaan places

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

So what did the game stores complain about before online sales were a thing? People trading Magic and Warhammer in the parking lot?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I have the ImpAss core set, and shamefully have not even opened it yet.
Any recommendations on the character packs to buy?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

If the rebels trailer is is anything to go by, the force blocking iguanas are back

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmXp802sFgQ&t=116s

Check 1:56 and 2:19. Would a grand admiral have his office or whatever decorated with a force iguana motif without owning a force iguana? I think not.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

MockingQuantum posted:

Oh hey neat thread. My wife started working for FFG a little less than a year ago, so I'm officially inundated with SW games now, and I love it.

When I was 18 I worked as a canyon/climbing guide and made the princely sum of $250/week. I spent nearly 100% of the money that summer on gear because I got it at a discount.

I'm pretty sure I'd be in a similar situation if I was a grownup working for FFG

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

gender illusionist posted:

I bet a gold ISD would rule

Now we're talking. That's the centerpiece, and other ship patterns should include purple leopard print, patterns that resemble Adidas tracksuits, or a marble effect.

Make it look like a fleet commissioned by a tacky Russian mob boss.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Destiny doesn't interest me, but I hope it's a big hit so Fantasy Flight keeps making X Wing expansions for the rest of my life

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

FFG had some rules implemented for retailers in the last year that forbids them from selling new product at the same time as used or singles.
I'm guessing stores that make money on Magic are probably bugged about not being able to carry singles for Destiny if that's the case

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

So does Destiny do booster packs like a normal MTG type card game or is it doing expansion type things like Armada and X-Wing do where you know exactly what you're getting when you buy something?

I'm vaguely interested in getting into it but the person i'd be playing with doesn't quite care for Magic type gameplay that isn't Pokemon for some reason.

Collectible, random boosters.

I'm told by someone who likes the game that since the decks are pretty small, you're not cracking open entire cases to find the cards you want. No idea if that's true, maybe he's justifying his purchase

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

banned from Starbucks posted:

Get rid of final salvo and use loopin chewy to determine who wins tie games.

Now we're talking.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

https://teamcovenant.com/product/star-wars-destiny-awakenings-saga-set-collector

No idea how they're making any money after overhead to crack and sort that many boosters and then sell pretty much at MSRP

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Destiny appears to be blowing up. My local store went big on it, and they've sold through all their pre-orders and said they expect the shelf stock they ordered to go very fast on release day.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

My local store got a pretty big allotment for Destiny, and sold through 100% of it at retail price with no volume discount by the time I got there after work :(

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I forgot a very important question; why is the shield icon a Mandalorian helmet?

Don't know, but a local dude here makes these nice acrylics
http://www.brokenegggames.com/enhancements/destiny-token-sets.html

I saw them in person yesterday and they look really great.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

ShowTime posted:

I've only ever had bad experiences with BrokenEggGames, unfortunately. I'm still waiting for an order to ship that was placed about a month and a half ago. Just keep getting the run around when they are contacted.

That's surprising to hear.
I've never dealt with them professionally, but I've played X Wing with the dude a bunch of times and he's always been really cool. :shrug:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I went to an X Wing regionals with 100ish players and as part of the prizing they gave out a copy of Star Wars Rebellion to the last place player, "because you clearly need a new game"
It was funny and I was kinda jealous

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

PJOmega posted:

What other Imperial Unit could really fit the role of "big dude" at that scale? Rancor, Wampa, Hutts?
Good point. The only other thing I can think of is the tank in Rogue One

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Deviant posted:

What you're telling me is you're building the world's coolest rancor.

Friend of mine painted this one, which is the coolest rancor I've ever seen

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Stepping on Games Workshop's toes again!

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

illectro posted:

What are the odds that the models will the 1:270 scale like the X-Wing ships?

Although size scale doesn't match the 'time scale' of the X-Wing gameplay

For unpainted models, that's pretty small.
I expect they're going to be Runewars/Imperial Assault scale

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

One of our local XWing dudes is demoing Legion for FFG right now at Gencon.
It has articulated rulers like Armada.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/8/18/star-wars-legion/

Article is up

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

pbpancho posted:

PHX or MSP? Odds are MSP I suppose.

PHX, which narrows it down to one I guess :haw:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

siggy2021 posted:

I had a chat with the designer the other day and asked him about scale and brought up ATAT's. He said that they are trying to do scale as close as possible, it obviously when you get to that size you have to make concessions. If there were no plans to ever do that size vehicles I would assume he would have said that.

He also showed me the commander cards, and they were a pretty neat addition although I don't recall what they did. It sounded like each commander came with threeish cards and they were major effects that could be revealed and used once per game.

At 59:30 in the video you can see the 3 unique Vader commander cards, and an explanation of how they're used. A minute later you see Luke's 3 unique commander cards. Alex mentions that if you bring 2 commanders, you'll then have a pool of those 6 unique cards, and you'll secretly choose 3 of them to include.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

ShineDog posted:

Most of the actually good gunfight in star wars are not enormous pitched megagights though. To me it's more important that the heroes get handled with a kind of detailed lens than the broad brush battles you would see at 10mm

Actually, 10mm scale would require a much smaller brush.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

bunnyofdoom posted:

What about a medium transport wreck? Hell, have it be the bridge on the ground, as like a tower, and then scattered cargo containers

Yeah, looks like they're supposed to be 90 meters long, which at legion scale is probably around 3 feet long