Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
Anybody here getting into Shatterpoint?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

KongGeorgeVII posted:

Yeah, I've bought/preordered pretty much everything.

Played a few games last weekend, it's pretty fun!

Sweet! This would be the right place to post about it, I guess? I'm assuming the thread title should now basically be "AMG and Star Wars" now? I'm just finishing assembling my core set and looking forward to painting it up.

HootTheOwl posted:

What happened to IA?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

FishFood posted:

Yeah, it isn't AMG's fault. Even though I hate what they have done to X Wing, they were given a pretty impossible task when Asmodee dumped all of those games in their lap. I've heard Crisis Protocol is pretty good, but I could not care less about superheroes so it's a no go for me.

Yeah, I heard people rave about Marvel Crisis Protocol but the aesthetic never really did it for me. That's part of why I'm excited about Shatterpoint. And I played a ton of Warmachine Mk. II, so I've got a lot of respect for Will Shick as a designer.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

I've never built a Marvel Crisis Protocol mini, but the Shatterpoint models assembled quite easily, and they're intelligent about where the mold lines end up (still have to do a little cleanup, but on par with the newest GW sculpts, which is to say quite good).

I don't see any issues with the AMG website?

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Got my first game of Shatterpoint in today. The midgame dragged a bit, but otherwise I really enjoyed it. The emphasis on objective-holding and area control techniques like pushing reminded me in a good way of my beloved Warhammer Underworlds. Some of the synergies can really pile up between related units like Droids or Mandos.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Failson posted:

Do the cover and line-of-sight rules start making more sense the more you play? Well done on the painting win!

These look great, by the way.

Thanks!

The cover and LOS rules are definitely on the side of simple rather than realistic. I don't actually mind that, compared to a game like Kill Team, it makes the game smoother. But it does bring up some counterintuitive situations, like two models both on elevated terrain can have cover from each other just due to the terrain that they're standing on. Once you get used to those, and just apply the rules even if they don't make perfect physical sense, it's straightforward.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Painted up General Obi-Wan Kenobi from Star Wars Shatterpoint, getting my strike team ready for the tournament we're having at my local store in early September. Now I just have Mace Windu left to paint!

Edit: now I have both squads done for my strike team. I'm loving how the low model count lets me take time to push myself more in painting technique.

Muir fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Aug 24, 2023

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

NOVA Open Shatterpoint tournament results:
Saturday: https://www.longshanks.org/event/10634/
Sunday: https://shatterpoint.longshanks.org/event/10649/

Pretty good mix of different archetypes. Mandos seem to be the only real absence. Clones, droids, some Inquisitorius all showed up.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Had a small four player tournament today, two clone lists (Obi/Ani, Obi/Mace), one droids list (Greivous and Ventress), and one Dathomirian list, placing in that order.

Had a natural “Hello there!” moment which was fun:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

So many exciting previews today! Apologies for the BOLS link but I couldn't find another concise summary: https://www.belloflostsouls.net/2023/09/star-wars-shatterpoint-roadmap-update-and-previews.html

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Here's a road map graphic someone put together:

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Chill la Chill posted:

Riot if we don't get Endor Leia with a helmet. We already have to suffer with the Endor legion leia which looks like rear end, and this one looks exactly the same. Pose and everything. idgi

They've done a few models with multiple head options, so here's hoping.

Edit: just found an official text-based summary post from AMG:

We gave more details on some packs announced at Adepticon!

Lead by Example Squad Pack featuring Plo Koon (Primary), Padawan Ahsoka Tano (Secondary), Commander Wolffe (Secondary), and 104th Wolfpack Troopers (Support). Plo Koon cards spoiled.
Fearless and Inventive Squad Pack featuring Jedi Knight Luke Skywalker (Primary), Leia Organa as Boussh (Secondary), and Lando + R2-D2 (Support). Leia’s stat card was shared.
Fear and Dead Men Squad Pack featuring Darth Vader (Primary), Stormtrooper Sergeant (Secondary), and Imperial Stormtroopers (Support). Stormtrooper Sergeant stat card shared
Ee Chee Wah Mah Squad Pack featuring Leia, Freedom Fighter (Primary), Chief Chirpa (Primary), Paploo (Secondary), and Ewok Hunters (Support).
Yub Nub Squad Pack featuring Logray (Primary), R2-D2 + C-3P0 (Secondary), Wicket (Secondary), Ewok Trappers (Support). Logrey stat card shown

Upcoming releases with painted minis:

Sabotage Showdown Mission Pack - adds a new Mission Set to your games of Star Wars: Shatterpoint, giving you new objective layouts that pose unique tactical challenges for your strike teams to overcome.
That’s Just Good Business Squad Pack feat. Hondo Ohnaka.
Certified Guild Standards Squad Pack feat. Mandalorian and Child, Greef Karga, and IG-11.
You Have Something I Want Squad Pack feat. Moff Gideon and his troopers.
Today the Rebellion Dies Squad Pack feat. Iden Versia, Gideon Hask, Del Meeko, and Imperial Special Forces Troopers.
Real Quiet Like Squad Pack feat. Han Solo, Chewbacca, and Rebel Commandos.
The Bad Batch Confirmed!
New Terrain feat a womp rat.

Teasers for the far future:

Ghost Crew Posters...
A Grand Admiral looms…

Muir fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Sep 15, 2023

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Some recent Shatterpoint miniatures. I'm pretty pleased with Darth Vader in particular, though I could see bringing up the highlights on his helmet a bit more, and trying to make the cape more smoothly blended.

Now I just need to get to the table for some games with the new missions.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Just finished the Jedi Hunters box from Star Wars: Shatterpoint:

I'd like to spend more time on the faces but I'm pretty pleased how the black armor and clothes turned out, which I don't have a lot of experience doing.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

I surprised myself at how quickly Padme and her crew came together. I had been daunted by them for a while but when I got to it, they went quickly and were fun. I'd like the gradient on one of the handmaiden's robes to be smoother, but so it goes.

Now I just need to paint four more models to be all caught up ahead of the next wave of releases.

Muir fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jan 30, 2024

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Wave One complete! There are some I'll go back and do better, including most of the faces, but I'm satisfied for now. Wave Two hits here February 23, so just in time.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

My local store has a preview event on March 2 that I'm really looking forward to. Demo games and then a three round Swiss event.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

The Black Stones posted:

Oh, is Vader as a unit expensive? I decided to buy a 3rd box and got him. No showcases this time around, but that made up for it.

Yeah, Darth Vader: Commanding the First Legion is about $90 each on TCG Player.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Cease to Hope posted:

jokes aside, they are doing the kind of gonzo EU thing where darth maul not only survives being cut in half but also has a brother named "savage opress" so yes i am okay with that

That's not EU, that's canon straight out of The Clone Wars and Rebels. (For added amusement, "Savage" is pronounced like it were French - "suh-VAHJ")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Cease to Hope posted:

the ringbound board-book is a cool idea

Gloomhaven: Jaws of the Lion is like that.