Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smashthedean
Jul 10, 2006

Don't let dogs get any part of fish.

Madurai posted:

Worst of all, it's from Empire at War.

I'm pretty sure it's older than that, I remember one in the old Star Wars Rebellion game. I agree it's a weird looking ship, but I like the look of it for Rebels. They'll take what they can get!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smashthedean
Jul 10, 2006

Taran_Wanderer posted:

I'm not sure I would go that far, as X-Wings have dominated TIEs in my local group so far. As you said, though, this might be more about our relative inexperience than anything else.

What's everyone doing with their fleets so far? I'm looking at this so far:

Imperial Navy (180)
-Victor I-Class Star Destroyer (85)
--Grand Moff Tarkin (38)
--Dominator (12)
--Assault Concussion Missiles (7)
--Enhanced Armament (10)
-"Howlrunner" (16)
-TIE Fighter Squadron (8)

Idea is to go straight through the middle and limit the Rebel's maneuverability options, as they won't want to get close, and plink away at them with red dice. Played with it twice so far, and have been pretty pleased, though I need to get better at using my TIE Fighters. Both times I managed to get a ship in my front arc and demolish it, but we'll see if that keeps up as my opponents get better. Might swap out the Missiles or Enhanced Armament with the Hanger Bay, to activate all my TIE Fighters at once, or some crew, to give me some more flexibility with commands. Need to work on my Rebels next!

I built this exact same list and got two games in with it last night. Both were wins for me with the VSD being a murder machine, but I didn't really feel like I needed the extra boost from the missiles. I'm leaning towards dropping them for a Weapons Liason to make my commands more flexible. Hanger Bay isn't needed to activate all of your squadrons with Tarkin handing out a squadron token whenever you need it unless you're running 5 TIEs sometime.

smashthedean
Jul 10, 2006

Squadrons not taking damage from crits was one that threw me off initially as well as squadrons only getting to move OR attack in the Squadron Phase, but getting to do both with the Squadron Command.

smashthedean
Jul 10, 2006

What do you guys think about :

Empire Fleet (400 of 400 pts)
Commander: Admiral Screed (26 pts)
Flagship: (137 pts)
  • Imperial II-Class Star Destroyer(120 pts)
  • Relentless (3 pts)
  • Gunnery Team (7 pts)
  • Electronic Counter Measures (7 pts)
Fleet Ship 1: (85 pts)
  • Gladiator I-Class Star Destroyer(56 pts)
  • Demolisher (10 pts)
  • Ordnance Experts (4 pts)
  • Engine Techs (8 pts)
  • Assault Concussion Missiles (7 pts)
Fleet Ship 2: (85 pts)
  • Victory I-Class Star Destroyer(73 pts)
  • Expanded Hangar Bay (5 pts)
  • Assault Concussion Missiles (7 pts)
Squadrons (67 of 134 pts):
  • 1x Major Rhymer Tie Bomber Squadron (16 pts)
  • 1x Tie Bomber Squadron (9 pts)
  • 1x Tie Advanced Squadron (12 pts)
  • 1x JumpMaster 5000 (12 pts)
  • 1x Firespray-31 (18 pts)
Objectives: Advanced Gunnery , Contested Outpost , Minefields

Is that enough fighters to make it worthwhile to take Rhymer? I like that it can all be activated just on the VSD's squadron commands, but feel like it might be too small to be worth it. Also one caveat for any suggested modifications for my list, it can't use any upgrades that are Rebel-only as I really don't want to buy any Rebel ships.

smashthedean
Jul 10, 2006

Hmm... I'll probably go the air superiority route then. How many points would one have to really invest in squadrons to get a good return on Rhymer?