Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Owlbear Camus posted:

It would be harder to run, but even funnier to play a game of ISB agents where you are all trying to destroy it from the inside, but no one is aware the other one is a double agent.

Waaaay back during the West End Games days right after TIE Fighter came out, so inspired my group played an Imperial group for a while and I wish we'd thought to do that. The GM, who was probably overwhelmed with the group wanting him to do it*, just had them go after worse people but then he stopped and thought that it was hard to get worse than blowing up a planet so we switched over to a more traditional tramp freighters thing.

*Of course I know him. He's me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
A friend of mine wants to run a game and asked me to find some players, check it out in the recruitment thread! Going to start with the premade adventure in the AoR starter kit and then move onto his own stuff

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

"[daughter], you ready to make your guy for Edge of the Empire?"

"No, I need to read and reread the books to find all of the most optimal skills and talents and figure out a good background and--"

"It's not that complicated, just make a 5 Brawn Wookiee with a vibroaxe who's addicted to space drugs."

"But what if he needs to do diplomacy?"

"That's what the axe is for."

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

A+ parenting right there.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

cptn_dr posted:

Man, Andor has me jonesing for some FFG Star Wars like nothing else has in years.

Andor has certainly kindled my interest in running a game, but I honestly don't know where to start.

My group is runs weekly alternating between DnD and CoC campaigns. Occasionally we need one shots to fill weeks were we don't have enough to run it, or when one of the GMs needs a break - another campaign is on ice as the GM for that is getting slammed. One of the guys running things now loving loves Star Wars and I'd like to have a few scenarios in my back pocket - how well does it work online? We're all up and down the East Coast of Australia so playing in person isn't feasible.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
If you have a discord server, incredibly easy as there are bots to roll the specific dice and the system leans heavily on theater of the mind rather than grid or measured distances.

Azhais posted:

The roll20 macros work fine too, and the foundry module supports importing directly from oggdude

I forget about those because they require an investment of actually spending money, but yeah.

karmicknight fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Dec 8, 2022

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
The roll20 macros work fine too, and the foundry module supports importing directly from oggdude

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Speaking of ogg -- is there are popular dataset floating around these days?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

jivjov posted:

Speaking of ogg -- is there are popular dataset floating around these days?

Search on GitHub

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

karmicknight posted:

If you have a discord server, incredibly easy as there are bots to roll the specific dice and the system leans heavily on theater of the mind rather than grid or measured distances.

Good to know - we mostly run with Discord for comms and Roll20 for the games themselves, and Roll20 does have this system as an option.

I'm eyeballing a few scenarios but am probably just gonna do what I normally do and make poo poo up.

Back of the Bus
Aug 15, 2004

Pimpin' ain't easy when yo ride's full of schoolchildren.
I know this isn't a "general Star Wars Roleplaying" thread, but is there one? I'm just getting my Star Wars WEG D6 game off the ground and would love a place to shoot the poo poo about wild die rolls and D6 combat.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Back of the Bus posted:

I know this isn't a "general Star Wars Roleplaying" thread, but is there one? I'm just getting my Star Wars WEG D6 game off the ground and would love a place to shoot the poo poo about wild die rolls and D6 combat.

I don't know if we're that picky, especially quiet as the thread is.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Yeah I personally don't think there's enough chatter for one SWRPG thread let alone two, so I don't care if people talk about the WEG game here. But I'm not like, the boss of threads.

Not for nothing FFG Star Wars along with half of the things in canon wouldn't exist without WEG star wars.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Actually, with the mention of the WEG game, I thought of a rather meaty topic that had been rattling around in my head as I prepare a new game and help my daughter make a character, particularly warning her away from the pitfalls of making a droid character, and looking at which species are the most "natural fit" for her droid technician character.

Now that the game is a decade old and the most recent supplement is what, 3 years ago, it does seem to be on the back foot in the conversation with what D&D is currently doing with relation to "racial determinism" and stereotyping. That's something Star Wars as a setting has always kind of struggled with since the WEG days. We saw one Trandoshan and he was a bounty hunter? I guess the lizard people are a hunter culture. Many Bothans stole the Death Star II plans? Bothans are, as a people, all capable spies and intelligence operatives.

I don't know exactly how I'd fix it exactly, but in light of what the "~world's greatest roleplaying game~" is doing with those sacred cows, it feels like it should be a little more friendly toward playing an iconoclast and taking a step away from "every twi'lek is a born entertainer and smooth talker" type stuff. Do it a bit more a la carte and ecumenical.

The other recent development in the property that puts that kind of stereotyped characterization on notice is Andor. While Andor admittedly is pretty humano-centric, the more immediate universe it lives in that shaves off all the irony and legend into a more textured place just seems a little less conducive to that kind of stereotyped stock character acting to a mask and costume.

I guess if a player presented the above criticisms to me in discussion, I'd go with some compromise to take 2's across the board and a fair amount of XP for characteristics, and swap any "cultural" bonus for another one of comparable impact.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Owlbear Camus posted:

Actually, with the mention of the WEG game, I thought of a rather meaty topic that had been rattling around in my head as I prepare a new game and help my daughter make a character, particularly warning her away from the pitfalls of making a droid character, and looking at which species are the most "natural fit" for her droid technician character.

Now that the game is a decade old and the most recent supplement is what, 3 years ago, it does seem to be on the back foot in the conversation with what D&D is currently doing with relation to "racial determinism" and stereotyping. That's something Star Wars as a setting has always kind of struggled with since the WEG days. We saw one Trandoshan and he was a bounty hunter? I guess the lizard people are a hunter culture. Many Bothans stole the Death Star II plans? Bothans are, as a people, all capable spies and intelligence operatives.

I don't know exactly how I'd fix it exactly, but in light of what the "~world's greatest roleplaying game~" is doing with those sacred cows, it feels like it should be a little more friendly toward playing an iconoclast and taking a step away from "every twi'lek is a born entertainer and smooth talker" type stuff. Do it a bit more a la carte and ecumenical.

The other recent development in the property that puts that kind of stereotyped characterization on notice is Andor. While Andor admittedly is pretty humano-centric, the more immediate universe it lives in that shaves off all the irony and legend into a more textured place just seems a little less conducive to that kind of stereotyped stock character acting to a mask and costume.

I guess if a player presented the above criticisms to me in discussion, I'd go with some compromise to take 2's across the board and a fair amount of XP for characteristics, and swap any "cultural" bonus for another one of comparable impact.

Just let people be whatever species they want and have 0 mechanics attached to it. It's a sci-fi setting, whether someone can breathe underwater or see at night are super irrelevant

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Make regular human.

Call it whatever the gently caress species you want.

Ta da.

Back of the Bus
Aug 15, 2004

Pimpin' ain't easy when yo ride's full of schoolchildren.
I made the mistake of allowing one of my first-time new-to-ttrpgs player to be an Ewok. I have to describe why he can only move 7 meters instead of 10 every session. Lesson learned: make a human, call it an Ewok.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Let him move 10 meters, problem solved?

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Owlbear Camus posted:

it feels like it should be a little more friendly toward playing an iconoclast and taking a step away from "every twi'lek is a born entertainer and smooth talker" type stuff.

They're pretty good about that sort of thing. Going from memory, Twileks get a minor "Charm" bonus, which is applicable in any social interaction, like diplomacy. They don't push them as "a species of strippers;" in fact, Star Wars itself has been decent about that in shows like Rebels and Clone Wars.

Cessna fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Dec 9, 2022

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
Very few species in the FFG are pushed out of any role. Like a Wookie has a slightly higher Brawn but nothing outside of the possibilities for a human; everyone has a stat max of 6. So the long term effects of Ability score bonuses in D&D aren't really a thing in FFG Star Wars.

Like, the Twi'Lek has a slightly higher Presence, a slightly lower Brawn that will take 20 character creation XP to sort out, and can be easily raised to a brawn of 4 if you want them to hit things. Or Brawn of 2 and an Agility 4 if you want to be a pilot. Or a bunch of 3s if you want to be well rounded.

A Toydarian Marauder with a Vibro-axe kicks rear end by the way. Sure you can't be as brawny as a Wookiee or a human at Character Generation, but rough terrain doesn't slow you down so you will get into melee faster than anyone else. And Dedication, Talents, and Skills level the playing field between the Wookiee and the Toydarian pretty quickly. I refuse to do the accent though.

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

ROYAL RAINBOW!

Servetus posted:

I refuse to do the accent though.

I have a standing policy of voicing Toydarians with Foggy Bottom Southern Plantation Owners accents. A world of Foghorn Leghorns

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
One of my favorite NPCs I've ever made was a Toydarian that hit the gym and bulked to the point he couldn't fly any more

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Servetus posted:

A Toydarian Marauder with a Vibro-axe kicks rear end by the way. Sure you can't be as brawny as a Wookiee or a human at Character Generation, but rough terrain doesn't slow you down so you will get into melee faster than anyone else. And Dedication, Talents, and Skills level the playing field between the Wookiee and the Toydarian pretty quickly. I refuse to do the accent though.

This was one of my group's antagonists a while back, except he had two vibroaxes. I don't think we ever actually fought him, but we all knew he'd have kicked our asses.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

I ran the FaD beginner game a few days ago for some peeps, and we had a blast. I'd missed how fun this game gets when you just throw some dice around and play as they go. They ended up beating the boss of that in like two attacks, but everyone had a good time, which is the important thing.

Now I'm looking towards doing something more fully fledged, thinking towards either the Onslaught at Arda I campaign or some of the homebrew or converted ones, there's a lot of real interesting stuff out there

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Serperoth posted:

or some of the homebrew or converted ones

I converted Mission to Lianna from WEG d6 for our first adventure all those years ago, that one was pretty good :v:

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Drone posted:

I converted Mission to Lianna from WEG d6 for our first adventure all those years ago, that one was pretty good :v:

Still the best campaign/RPG I've been a part of, so genuinely very high on my list as far as options go, I might hit you up later today about any notes :cheers:

BigBertha69 has entered chat

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Update from our Session 1

Everyone seemed to have a good time. Five players, a pilot, a mechanic/pilot, a weirdo doctor droid, and two force-sensitives (one in hiding as a smuggler, one Influencing face). They were accosted by a Dunning-Kruger failson who ended up damaging his own datapad trying to intimidate them, their ship is primarily olfactory, and their hotel room is definitely not bugged at all.

And we haven't even gotten to the more serious stakes yet :getin:

Duty rolls will start next session, although only one of them has any

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

I don't know if there is a general Genesys RPG thread, but I'm currently starting a new fantasy campaign. It will be my first time as GM for this system, wish me luck!

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

DnD has really good Foundry support, being able to import whole modules and maps and stuff. Anything like that for Star Wars? I know some folks frown on battlemaps but I like to set the scene with them and certainly helps for npcs and all that. Anything in terms of Foundry support for SW?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
It has good foundry support and can import straight from oggdude

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Azhais posted:

It has good foundry support and can import straight from oggdude

I meant more for modules and stuff, but good to know the importer is straight from oggdudes.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
Is there a community repository for like home brew adventures/one shots? There weren't that many official modules and I don't know if any of them were good but I'd love to have a one shot or short campaign in my back pocket.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Epi Lepi posted:

Is there a community repository for like home brew adventures/one shots? There weren't that many official modules and I don't know if any of them were good but I'd love to have a one shot or short campaign in my back pocket.

https://www.swrpgcommunity.com/gm-resources/adventures

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Sick, thank you!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Is there an up to date ogg dude dataset somewhere these days? All my old sources have dried up

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Searching on GitHub still seems to find copies. Some of the forks of the top hit are even recently updated

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

jivjov posted:

Is there an up to date ogg dude dataset somewhere these days? All my old sources have dried up

PM me

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Azhais posted:

Searching on GitHub still seems to find copies. Some of the forks of the top hit are even recently updated

I need to learn how to navigate github -- I get so confused there.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
Just some homebrew it'd be interesting to get people's thoughts on: Into the Zone: Zone-based Encounters

Basically a port of the Imperium Maledictum Zone-based movement rules to SWRPG, as the abstract, relative movement rules can make some encounters really hard to run. Should be pretty lightweight and easy to use, so you could do it with a whiteboard or scribble on a VTT. It'd be interesting to get people's opinions on them, especially the presentation - I've tried to be straightforward but comprehensive, and I'm wondering if there's too much stuff. I think realistically I could get away with page 1, tables of example Zone effects, and the Example of Play but I don't know if the sourcebook-style expanded text helps make things clearer. Maybe it's just cargo-cult design that's aping sourcebooks where page count is always a thing you want to drive up...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Those are really cool, and would be exceptionally helpful for VTT stuff I think. Do you think you'd need to prep it all or pause the game to discuss with players a bit?

I can see exploring an area and filling in the issues gaps etc organically to be pretty neat.