Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I generally say "what are you gonna do?" and then once they say, "ok gimmie a X check", though most times my players suggest "coerce his rear end!" but they've been around the table a while.

One of the more interesting parts of this game is you want tabletalk, to a certain extent, and too much (or too little) can be hard to manage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Are there stats for rakghouls, or are there similar minions I could pallette swap over?

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
AFAIK they don't have any KotOR content yet. But rakghouls aren't particularly complicated, so shouldn't be too hard to work stats out for 'em.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
I ran a game with Rhakghouls a while back. You can sub any melee/creature you want just be sure to keep the infection angle with them. On mine any Triumph result infected the player (if they failed a very hard resilience check)just as a Despair represent getting splashed with infected blood in a point blank firefight. YMMV but I had a group of high level characters so the infection gradually lowered characteristics over time.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
What were the aliens added in the new Colonist book? Any interesting stats?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

What were the aliens added in the new Colonist book? Any interesting stats?

Gran, Chevin, and Arcona. Gran are social dudes, Chevin are tough dudes, and Arcona are...good at Willpower

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

alg posted:

Gran, Chevin, and Arcona. Gran are social dudes, Chevin are tough dudes, and Arcona are...good at Willpower

Oh man, I've liked Arcona ever since I first saw ANH. Chevin are cool too.

Weren't Gran already in a previous book?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Drone posted:

Oh man, I've liked Arcona ever since I first saw ANH. Chevin are cool too.

They are in AoR

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

Drone posted:

That's Gand, you space racist!

Halverine
May 26, 2004

Endsay ookhay
I'm so keen to get a game of this going. We are supposed to be continuing our 13th Age campaign but scheduling issues mean we are lucky to get everyone together for a 4 hour session once every two months.

As a lifelong Star Wars fan I would like to know how close does this game get to the fantasy of actually being a part in the Star Wars universe?

Thanks also for the custom title inspiration.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Halverine posted:

I'm so keen to get a game of this going. We are supposed to be continuing our 13th Age campaign but scheduling issues mean we are lucky to get everyone together for a 4 hour session once every two months.

As a lifelong Star Wars fan I would like to know how close does this game get to the fantasy of actually being a part in the Star Wars universe?

Thanks also for the custom title inspiration.

Its pretty drat cinematic. The dice work spectacularly and the look & feel of the books is the best of any Star Wars RPG. The only rough spot is starship combat, which has never been done very well. That mostly depends on your group make-up.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!

jivjov posted:

This is more of a general GMing advice question, but its for my Star Wars game, so I'll ask it here...

My players have sort of a habit of backpedaling on plans once they find out what kind of check it will involve. Like, I'll tell my face character "Well, that's really more of a Coerce type of situation since there's a clear threat involved and you're not bullshitting him". Sometimes they'll try to flavor it a different way to justify using Deception or Charm or whatever instead, and I usually will let it slide, but sometimes its just "Oh I don't want to try that after all" or turning to another player "hey, your Coerce is way better, you take over the conversation", which feels a little metagame-y to me.

I don't want to be the rear end in a top hat GM who says "You said it, now you're stuck with it" (especially since one of the players is very very new to tabletop gaming in general), but I also don't want to encourage the behavior of always shunting responsibility for a check onto the sole person with the best stat or skill to handle it.

In the process of typing this post, I had one idea I'll throw out there...adding setback dice to social checks when mid-conversation the primary PC doing the talking switches to someone else, since they're diluting they're own stance/case/argument if they're letting someone else do the talking.

You know, Dungeon World gives you an experience point each time you fail a roll. Is there a way to positively reinforce failing rather than negatively reinforce narrative-crushing metagaming? Maybe something that highlights the cinematic nature of the genre?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I've been trying to accomplish that by making the fail-states of various situations exciting and borderline wacky, just to demonstrate that just because you roll a failure on the check doesn't mean Zero Progress.

I've also had luck encouraging physical separation of the PCs. If one guy approaches the guard station and the other 2 are in the truck...well, looks like only one guy gets to chat!

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

jivjov posted:

I've been trying to accomplish that by making the fail-states of various situations exciting and borderline wacky, just to demonstrate that just because you roll a failure on the check doesn't mean Zero Progress.

I've also had luck encouraging physical separation of the PCs. If one guy approaches the guard station and the other 2 are in the truck...well, looks like only one guy gets to chat!

You say that like our success states aren't exciting and borderline wacky. (I'm one of his players by the way.)

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...
The way the dice work, any roughly comparable pool will most likely generate either success w/ threat, or failure w/ advantage. Success w/ Advantage and Failure w/Threat are very unlikely. This means that, provided you're not trying something that is incredibly risky to begin with, you should end up with some sort of hook to keep things moving (sidways if not straight ahead, at least).

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
After inadvertently unleashing the Blue Shadow Virus on Naboo, my players are now on tour opening for a washed up jizz band, trying to sell a new laser light show technology and track down a gungan sith. Welp.

Every session is a surprise for me!

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Wikipedia Brown posted:

After inadvertently unleashing the Blue Shadow Virus on Naboo, my players are now on tour opening for a washed up jizz band, trying to sell a new laser light show technology and track down a gungan sith. Welp.

EdgeoftheEmpire.txt right there.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Edit: Nevermind, I figured it out.

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Sep 6, 2014

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!

Wikipedia Brown posted:

washed up jizz band,

I don't have much EU knowledge so I'm just trying to imagine a picture of this in the rule book.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

MartianAgitator posted:

I don't have much EU knowledge so I'm just trying to imagine a picture of this in the rule book.

My IRL group has a wholly unhealthy fascination with jizz wailers.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
Jizz wailers are good, but my personal favorite is the jizz box.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!
Tell me there's a skill.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
My character in the last EotE game I was in was a "Vaguely Eastern European" Mon Calamari (Stats taken from AoR) cab driver that played part-time in an Oompa band that played "SDef SLeppard" covers. It was pretty great, though I only got to play one gig before that section of Mos Espa burned down (Completely unrelated, I swear).

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!

Acebuckeye13 posted:

My character in the last EotE game I was in was a "Vaguely Eastern European" Mon Calamari (Stats taken from AoR) cab driver that played part-time in an Oompa band that played "SDef SLeppard" covers. It was pretty great, though I only got to play one gig before that section of Mos Espa burned down (Completely unrelated, I swear).

You know, if you asked these other guys, I bet their bands would have something that could have put out that fire.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
How exactly are starship firing arcs supposed to be implemented? The range bands don't specify facing, so is it supposed to be handled narratively?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

MartianAgitator posted:

Tell me there's a skill.

There is, but you really don't want to despair on a jizz hands roll.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I played the EotE Beginner Box Saturday night and had a loving blast. We quickly realized that once you strip the stupid Jedi out of Star Wars, the game is basically Guardians of the Galaxy. And I got to be Star-Lord!

My only complaint is that "Pash" is a stupid name, so I had to pull the Dark Heresy book off the shelf and rename my character "Flair."

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Halloween Jack posted:

We quickly realized that once you strip the stupid Jedi out of Star Wars, the game is basically Guardians of the Galaxy.

Welcome to Star Wars as it was meant to be enjoyed :getin:

I've not been following any of the Force & Destiny test games in TGR, what's the general consensus on the Jedi stuff? I'm working on writing a campaign and thought about doing a party with a 2 EotE/2 AoR/1 F&D character split, wondering how that'd work out.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Well, I'm in MustacheRide's Jedi Knight-Level game, and so far it seems really good. Our party is all Jedi, so I don't have any playtest experience with mixed parties, but after reading through the book and listening to the Order 66 Podcast's chat with the game designer, I think it'll work out pretty well. Yeah, Jedi characters have access to force powers and lightsabers, but it seems pretty well balanced on the whole.

EDIT: Lightsabers in particular seem to be a sticking point for some, but said episode of Order 66 sheds some light on it. Lightsabers are a bit overpowered at character creation level, which is why they're priced too high for a starting character to acquire. FFG internal playtests discovered though that by the time 4 or 5 sessions (and the attendant XP and credit gains) had occurred, non-Saber characters had acquired enough gear and talents to offset the imbalance. Also, with the GM Kit and (presumably) other future supplements containing Saber construction rules, there's great roleplay potential for getting a saber in-game rather than at chargen.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Sep 8, 2014

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

jivjov posted:

EDIT: Lightsabers in particular seem to be a sticking point for some, but said episode of Order 66 sheds some light on it. Lightsabers are a bit overpowered at character creation level, which is why they're priced too high for a starting character to acquire. FFG internal playtests discovered though that by the time 4 or 5 sessions (and the attendant XP and credit gains) had occurred, non-Saber characters had acquired enough gear and talents to offset the imbalance. Also, with the GM Kit and (presumably) other future supplements containing Saber construction rules, there's great roleplay potential for getting a saber in-game rather than at chargen.

Balance is great and all, but anything that makes it more difficult for prequel kiddies to slap like 5 lightsabers on their character can only be a good thing for the franchise.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Drone posted:

I've not been following any of the Force & Destiny test games in TGR, what's the general consensus on the Jedi stuff? I'm working on writing a campaign and thought about doing a party with a 2 EotE/2 AoR/1 F&D character split, wondering how that'd work out.

My two main gripes are that I dislike how the lightsaber trees are set up (each career has their own one lightsaber tree and some are dramatically better then others while some don't fit the career at all), and force powers scale really, really weird and lead to a lot of narrative and mechanical dissonance (the dark side isn't just easier or faster, it's literally better and stronger in every way; some force powers are obscenely powerful; the force in general is hard to impossible to use regularly, but when you can use it, you gain Starkiller-esque power)

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

jivjov posted:

EDIT: Lightsabers in particular seem to be a sticking point for some, but said episode of Order 66 sheds some light on it. Lightsabers are a bit overpowered at character creation level, which is why they're priced too high for a starting character to acquire. FFG internal playtests discovered though that by the time 4 or 5 sessions (and the attendant XP and credit gains) had occurred, non-Saber characters had acquired enough gear and talents to offset the imbalance.

From both a setting and a game design POV, I'm not sure why lightsabers are always seen as this powerful ultimate weapon. I mean, it's not like blasters don't shoot wads of plasma that seem to penetrate armor pretty drat well.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

ProfessorCirno posted:

My two main gripes are that I dislike how the lightsaber trees are set up (each career has their own one lightsaber tree and some are dramatically better then others while some don't fit the career at all), and force powers scale really, really weird and lead to a lot of narrative and mechanical dissonance (the dark side isn't just easier or faster, it's literally better and stronger in every way; some force powers are obscenely powerful; the force in general is hard to impossible to use regularly, but when you can use it, you gain Starkiller-esque power)

If you go full Dark Side, don't you start eating into your own Strain pretty hard?

Halloween Jack posted:

From both a setting and a game design POV, I'm not sure why lightsabers are always seen as this powerful ultimate weapon. I mean, it's not like blasters don't shoot wads of plasma that seem to penetrate armor pretty drat well.

I dunno about you, but I've never seen anyone use a blaster to carve through doors. And only one character that I know of deflects blaster bolts with other blaster bolts.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I think they did a good job with the force. Basic stuff like buffing your skills with the force are in place so you can be awesome at stuff with Enhance and be persuasive with Influence, without costing a separate action or anything. More active stuff like tossing people around or throwing lightning bolts require actions be used and force dice be rolled and if you don't get enough force dots to do what you want from the dice, you've either failed or have to resort to the dark side for the juice you need.

One thing that I staunchly approve of is the fact that the force powers don't rely on an expendable force pool inherent to the character, or deplete the character's stamina, or things like that which tried to make force users into spellcasters in older editions of the game. Some lightsaber combat maneuvers cause strain so they can't just auto-parry blasters forever, but that's physical exhaustion instead of running out of "mana".

Lightsabers are appropriately ferocious in close combat, but a modded-up blaster rifle can really lay waste to things too, so when it comes to being a murder machine Jedi don't have a particular edge over a similarly experienced soldier, which is also how it should be.

By and large FFG managed to have a good answer to the problems I had with Jedi in the older RPGs that either made them gods or wimps. They're cool enough that someone who wants to be one should be pretty happy with it, but they don't leave the other professions in the dust. The only iffy thing about them in my opinion is that a starting force user with just one force die is going to either sort of suck at force powers or have to resort to the dark side until they progress far enough to get a second force die to smooth out the probability curves somewhat.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
Have they said whether the Rebellion Day/Rescue at Glare Peak materials will be made available after the event? Like "Under a Black Sun" was for Edge of the Empire?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Gravy Train Robber posted:

Have they said whether the Rebellion Day/Rescue at Glare Peak materials will be made available after the event? Like "Under a Black Sun" was for Edge of the Empire?

They haven't said anything about it

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

alg posted:

They haven't said anything about it

*cough* can you make .pdfs? :wink:

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Carteret posted:

*cough* can you make .pdfs? :wink:

:wink:

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I was in the game with Jack, got stuck with the loving wookiee. The only snag we encountered came up with advantage/threat results where the GM had to pull something out of his rear end to come up with a good or bad side-effect. He was running from the crappy starter set book, however, so he didn't have easy access to the guidelines about using those die results.

[Edit: Here's the introductory crawl I made for the starter game. It was cruelest irony that my random character pick stuck me with Lowhhrick after I made this. ]

Valatar fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Sep 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Valatar posted:

I was in the game with Jack, got stuck with the loving wookiee. The only snag we encountered came up with advantage/threat results where the GM had to pull something out of his rear end to come up with a good or bad side-effect. He was running from the crappy starter set book, however, so he didn't have easy access to the guidelines about using those die results.

[Edit: Here's the introductory crawl I made for the starter game. It was cruelest irony that my random character pick stuck me with Lowhhrick after I made this. ]

I spent half the day GISing for this.

Edit: Well, that and pictures of cool blasters.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Sep 10, 2014