Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
I hadn't posted it online anywhere, so GIS wasn't gonna get you far. I'd've sent you a copy if you told me you wanted one. Thankfully they only take a couple minutes of loving around with text in Photoshop to crank out, so it's pretty easy for a GM to prepare a crawl for each session to keep players feeling properly motivated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I use an old :filez: crawl generator on a Mac virtual machine to make really good crawls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COrBQ51UD4A

PM me for details

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

There's always the "official" one.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

You can also just, y'know, use the Star Wars one.

Edit: damnit

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
The only annoyance with the official crawl generator is the weird gap it creates in the music. Also it seems to screw up with me when I run it fullscreen. Still, it's a doddle to use at least.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

God dammit.

Actually, the language filter on the official generator plus the weird shortness of the audio sort of hamper it. alg's video looks amazing on the other hand, but my only mac is a hackintoshed netbook and I have grave doubts about whether it could run that. May still give it a try though, since the results were fantastic.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Valatar posted:

God dammit.

Actually, the language filter on the official generator plus the weird shortness of the audio sort of hamper it. alg's video looks amazing on the other hand, but my only mac is a hackintoshed netbook and I have grave doubts about whether it could run that. May still give it a try though, since the results were fantastic.

My players adore my crawls and they load right into Hangouts alongside Roll20. It's worth the effort!

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
I swear to god I nearly died when the recorder intro started.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

First beta update for F&D is up http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=5037

Hairy Right Hook
Sep 9, 2001

Hee to the ho
Oh good they fixed that thing where all lightsaber duels end in someone's lightsaber breaking

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Jawdins posted:

Oh good they fixed that thing where all lightsaber duels end in someone's lightsaber breaking

Though they left an option in to do it at least; guess Obi-Wan got a lucky pair of Triumphs in on Darth Maul that one time.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
Our group hit 100+ obligation last week. Whoops.

Most of this is the 150,000 credit we each have on our head (we've been Hutt-hunting) so the solution we've come up with is to steal a Death Watch cruiser and crash it into Jabba's palace. Death Watch have been allying with the younger Hutts in a simmering Hutt civil war, but have been pretty discrete about their involvement so far.

We killed 20 Death Watch last session on our way to their ship. They were staying in a hotel of an on-again-off-again young Hutt benefactor of ours. Pash, whose own bounty far outstrips any conceivable prize money, is about to run in a land speeder race.

This will surely bring our obligation down, right? :ohdear:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

fosborb posted:

We killed 20 Death Watch last session on our way to their ship. They were staying in a hotel of an on-again-off-again young Hutt benefactor of ours. Pash, whose own bounty far outstrips any conceivable prize money, is about to run in a land speeder race.
He'll probably have better luck if he pilots a speeder, too. :downsrim:

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

My IRL group started Onslaught at Arda I last night. A friend of mine wanted to get some DMing experience, so I let him run it using our EotE characters, with me finally putting a personality to my DMPC pilot.

He hauled his laptop out and started using sound effects and dialog from the book that a friend of his recorded. It was awesome and now I feel bad that I hadn't thought of doing that before.

Once the mission is done I'll ask him to provide me the audio in case anyone wants it, it's pretty professionally sounding.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

fosborb posted:

I'd say that the Hutts and a few members of Death Watch have either paid mercenaries to kill Pash in the race, or rig his landspeeder for problems or something.

Has your group just been blasting through everything on the way to 100+ Obligation?

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

TheTofuShop posted:

I'd say that the Hutts and a few members of Death Watch have either paid mercenaries to kill Pash in the race, or rig his landspeeder for problems or something.

Has your group just been blasting through everything on the way to 100+ Obligation?

Oh certainly. Pash is going to be racing against all assassins, in front of an audience of spy masters, for the Gom Jabbar Cup. The only hope is that the young Hutts sort of find us useful right now because we keep killing old Hutts and the young Hutts are running these races. Hopefully Pash races before the young Hutts discover our plan to expose the Death Watch connection to the Hutt Grand Council, but considering the number of despairs that were rolled last session...

I think we did too much for the Black Sun which made them great allies, but pointed a gently caress of a lot of heat back on us. And we basically ignored the Hutts' increasing anger. And we keep grabbing force sensitive artifacts from the Empire. And the Wookiee stole an ancient Trandoshan mask and keeps calling himself The Scorekeeper when he rips arms off of Trandoshans. And Oskara is basically Weedlord of Ryloth.

edit: honestly, the obligation system is keeping us somewhat on track with the wider universe events, but I think we will find that the duty system fits better with the group's play style. The GM is slowly moving us over as we knock out obligation, but we just have a lot of it...

fosborb fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Sep 12, 2014

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

fosborb posted:

Gom Jabbar Cup.
I love you, man.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Rebellion day was awesome :allears:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

alg posted:

Rebellion day was awesome :allears:

Still jealous. And mad at FFG. My FLGS signed up and just never heard anything back from FFG and never got the kit.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
Also jealous. There is nowhere closer than six hours away running one. :smith:

I did just get a copy of Onslaught at Arda I though, and am looking forward to running it. I have to admit, I was kind of hoping they would have done something along the lines of the adventure in the Dark Heresy mk2 Beta, where it could have been one of several suspects with encounters and tips for running it depending on who was decided to have been Innocent/Criminal/Heretical. Obviously theres nothing stopping me from running it that way, but it would have been nice.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

jivjov posted:

Still jealous. And mad at FFG. My FLGS signed up and just never heard anything back from FFG and never got the kit.

Same here, really annoyed.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

It really sucks that FFG decided to do Rebellion day instead of Free RPG Day. Everyone who tried the game today was really impressed by the system.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

jivjov posted:

We signed up, never heard back from them, got the kit in the mail yesterday. Yes that's plenty of time for me to prepare for this event.

Fortunately, the little poster it comes with doesn't actually have the date filled in, so my plan is to not give a poo poo about when rebellion day was SUPPOSED to be.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=5053

Hutt Space book!

YES

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
Oh my god, Hutt Solo is everything I've ever wanted to be

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Oh my God is that a playable Hutt.

This sourcebook looks amazing.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I'm thinking of starting a game with the Beginner's adventure to introduce some player's to the system. Does anyone have some experience on what did and didn't work in the adventure when the dice started rolling? We're all experienced with tabletop so I was figuring on using the pregen characters and the adventure as a sort of pre-credit sequence so the players can get an idea of how the classes play before rolling their own.

Edit: Oops sorry, forgot they do one for each game. EotE.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Sep 15, 2014

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I'm thinking of starting a game with the Beginner's adventure to introduce some player's to the system. Does anyone have some experience on what did and didn't work in the adventure when the dice started rolling? We're all experienced with tabletop so I was figuring on using the pregen characters and the adventure as a sort of pre-credit sequence so the players can get an idea of how the classes play before rolling their own.

Which beginner game

edit: Anyone who wants more information on Rebellion Day adventure, PM me

alg fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Sep 15, 2014

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I don't have any specific feedback about the adventure, but I think you should murder all the pregenerated PCs and have the real PCs investigate their disappearances. Seems like a good hook.

BlueInkAlchemist
Apr 17, 2012

"He's also known as 'BlueInkAlchemist'."
"Who calls him that?"
"Himself, mostly."
I'm tempted to introduce this game to my housemates/friends by saying "So! Who wants to play Rebellion types and who wants to play freebooters?" I like that both types of characters are available but have different motivations - that seems like a great gateway for tension and storytelling. It may involve me springing for both beginner's kits, at first, but I think it's a worthy long-term investment.

Like my two Core Sets of X-Wing miniatures.

And my Cartel Coins.

:cripes:

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Edit: Oops sorry, forgot they do one for each game. EotE.

Your players can skip large portions between the first encounter and getting off planet if they focus on skills before combat. This is good and shouldn't be stopped. Skill checks mean more chances for failures, disadvantages, and dispairs to complicate their lives.

I think the starting book could do better with describing outcomes. But I also haven't looked at it in awhile so it might be better than I remember. Regardless, this is how I think if the results:
Success/Failure: accomplishing task at hand
Advantage/Disadvantage: changes circumstances around the task
Triumph/Dispair: significantly change the tone/pitch of the battle or immediate goal

And of course, the system is vulnerable to just saying no after failures. It always runs smoother with "no, but"s or "yes, and"s even if a player drops failure + disadvantage + dispair.

The positive dice (yellow, green, light blue) are different than the negative dice (red, purple, black). It's not a huge difference, but it does matter that you role your checks as GM with negative dice. The negative dice have more swing but also I think it helps solidify the narrative concept of the dice.

The GM guide does a great job of slowly adding mechanics, but the last encounter (as written) is a space battle entirely unlike anything else before it. The rest you can run completely blind (seriously), but if you choose to run the space battle, read the entire section first and maybe walk a few rounds of combat through beforehand. Linked shots on top of all the other mechanical changes completely threw me. I was in danger of spending the entire encounter with my nose in the book, so I made arbitrary calls on the fly and the encounter was honestly worse for it.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Our time with the starter box went fairly smoothly. There's a deus ex machina moment after the first encounter that basically hands the PCs their mission that I found clunky, and vehicular combat is complex enough that you shouldn't just go into it completely cold as a GM like ours did. The rest of the stuff is easy enough that any halfway-competent GM could crack open the box, hand out the characters, and start running on the spot with no prep.

Another thing is that the actual rulebooks have handy guidelines for advantages/threats/triumphs/despairs for every player skill to give hints about what a GM does when those results come up for non-combat stuff. The starter rulebook does not have any of those guidelines, so it's up to the GM to think fast when something like that pops up in a die roll.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

F&D beta update 2: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=5058

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Word of advice to GMs...if you set a fight right outside your party's landed ship, do not be surprised when a character decides that instead of coming outside and beating people up they instead hop in the topside turret and end the fight from there.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

jivjov posted:

Word of advice to GMs...if you set a fight right outside your party's landed ship, do not be surprised when a character decides that instead of coming outside and beating people up they instead hop in the topside turret and end the fight from there.

That's definitely in-character for Edge of the Empire.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

jivjov posted:

I think you should be surprised for everything we come up with in that game. We tricked two Rodians into walking back into their vehicle, knocked them out, and locked up their leader in the bathroom so we could interrogate him. All while my B1 battle droid in a Nexu pelt (that I skinned last session) kept watch with my sniper rifle in case you tried to surprise us with something crazy.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Here's a GMing question...a lot of my players have skills/talents that let them ignore Setback dice. The problem is...a lot of checks I have scrawled down don't have a lot of Setback dice with them. I mean, sometimes I toss one in for players doing something in the dark, or trying to negotiate with the pirate leader they were shooting at last session or whatever, but I kinda feel like I'm cheating my players out of their character's potential, and it just feels cheap to say "Oh, and this has two setback" when I know full well they're just going to ignore them.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
As the GM, you should be looking to throw setback dice at everything. Any excuse you can get. Just, all the time setback dice. If you can't think of any better excuse, then a stray blaster bolt hit a power conduit and now the lights are going crazy, or just the time (and blaster) fire is putting the character under a lot of stress, here roll these black dice too. But you should ALWAYS be looking for things to complicate every (significant) skill check. MANUFACTURE reasons why they get setback dice. It's Star Wars, you can always stick the players on frozen/burning desert shitholes with constant environmental penalties.

That said, you should be just as generous in letting the players eliminate those setback dice, either by roleplaying (I fix the goddamn lights), or by having the character talents to ignore them. The point isn't to screw the players over, but to give them challenges to overcome and be badass.

Tendales fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Sep 19, 2014

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Fair enough. I let them talk their way into a Boost die on almost every single non-combat check (as long as they can justify it in the narrative), so I should throw out the Setbacks just as freely.

To all my players who are goons...expect more Setbacks! And blame Tendales for every single one!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J. Alfred Prufrock
Sep 9, 2008

jivjov posted:

And yet according to the rules this would be a Daunting (four dice) check, because of the silhouette difference between a ship and a dude.

Really the only sticking point for our group so far has been that the big, gently caress-off starship guns actually kinda suck against people. I'm not trying to snipe one stormtrooper with my ship-level weapons, I just want to cover a whole area in burning plasma.