Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I usually rule stuff like that on a situational basis. Like if a player is coercing someone via threat of force, that's willpower, but if your Wookiee gets his hands on someone and is coercing with actual application of force, I would just have him make his dice pool based on Brawn.

Edit: I would also make that ruling contingent on the player agreeing that the Wookiee is ready and willing to actually exert lots of force (up to and including/exceeding pulling arms out of sockets) in order to key off Brawn. This would lead to a LOT stiffer narrative penalties for failure and even for success (lots of generated ill will and setbacks on future checks)

jivjov fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Oct 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

jivjov posted:

I usually rule stuff like that on a situational basis. Like if a player is coercing someone via threat of force, that's willpower, but if your Wookiee gets his hands on someone and is coercing with actual application of force, I would just have him make his dice pool based on Brawn.

I think once you've skipped to the actual violence part it, it's no longer coercion. Much as if you've already stabbed the poor guy and stated 'I'm going to continue to stab you until you give me what I want', the situation has already gone so far in one direction that a skill vs skill contest doesn't make sense anymore. Like are you going to be too weak and bad at stabbing to convince the tough guy to tell you where Big Hutty is hiding out? I think if anything the victim's Deception check makes more sense at that point. He's going to tell you something, but do you seem smart enough that he can try to sneak one by you or is he just going to cave completely?

Bedurndurn fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Oct 16, 2014

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012
This is like an age old problem in a lot of rpgs. Coercion skills are all about strength right? I think actually they are more a bout willpower, but throw in a bonus blue for be being a big rear end wookie

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...
If it were me, I'd let him situationally assist in a Coersion roll as per the normal rules, but using Brawn instead of Willpower as his base stat.

So your Duros says "Me? Yeah, I may not be worth being frightened of. But see my friend back there? We haven't fed him yet this week, and he's starting to get cranky..." *RRRRRAAAAAAWWWWW*

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Bedurndurn posted:

I think once you've skipped to the actual violence part it, it's no longer coercion.

This is where I am on this one, though "use this other characteristic for this check" is already used in the design space, so you've got that backing up the idea of just replacing Brawn in there. The other suggestions (Brawn check for the assistance roll, boost dice for the Coercion roll) are great ways around it, though, if you just don't think flexing and breaking things are enough on their own.

I don't have the book in front of me, but there might even be a talent like that already in Dangerous Covenants, I recall one of the specializations (Enforcer?) was a lot more about intimidating people.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

The Enforcer can suffer strain to reduce the difficulty of Coerce checks. They can also help someone who is using Charm or Negotiate.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

I am about to start running this for some friends, I have the beginners box and we are going to do play that, then if we enjoy it pick up the proper rulebook, make some characters and get going.

One of my players really really wants to play a Mandalorian, but there are no rules for them that I can see. I was just going to let him play a re-skinned human, is that the best way of doing it?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Phrosphor posted:

I am about to start running this for some friends, I have the beginners box and we are going to do play that, then if we enjoy it pick up the proper rulebook, make some characters and get going.

One of my players really really wants to play a Mandalorian, but there are no rules for them that I can see. I was just going to let him play a re-skinned human, is that the best way of doing it?

Yup

If he has armor, there is armor in the core book.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Phrosphor posted:

Mandalorians aren't a species per se, they're a culture that any species can theoretically join. That said, if you want to go the route of the Mandalorians we've seen in the movies so far and cartoons, they're just Humans.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

PantsOptional posted:

Mandalorians aren't a species per se, they're a culture that any species can theoretically join. That said, if you want to go the route of the Mandalorians we've seen in the movies so far and cartoons, they're just Humans.

Cool, thanks for the tips both of you. I figured that was the case. He likes the whole ethos, especially how they were represented in KoTOR one and two. I am pretty happy with it because I know he will go into the game with a really god idea of what/how to play his character rather than trying to put something together.

I will give him bonus points if he Doesn't roll a bounty hunter!

Edit: \/\/\/\/ Yeah he is a huge fan of it, which is one of the main reasons he wants to play one.

Phrosphor fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Oct 16, 2014

Beach
Dec 13, 2004

No sign of intelligent life on this planet.

Phrosphor posted:

Cool, thanks for the tips both of you. I figured that was the case. He likes the whole ethos, especially how they were represented in KoTOR one and two. I am pretty happy with it because I know he will go into the game with a really god idea of what/how to play his character rather than trying to put something together.

I will give him bonus points if he Doesn't roll a bounty hunter!

There's lots and lots of Mandalorian content leading up to the era of EotE in the Clone Wars animated show, which is available on Netflix.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Beta Update 6 is mostly about NPCs

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=5123

Swags
Dec 9, 2006

Phrosphor posted:

There are six rules/laws of being a Mandalorian. They're absurdly simple to follow, too.

1) Speak Mando'a
2) Wear your armor
3) Raise your children as Mandalorians
4) Defend yourself and your family
5) Help the clan succeed and sustain itself
6) Rally to Mandalore when called

That's it, really. If you say you're a Mandalorian and you do those six things, it's not something anyone else can really question. Everything else is an addendum to those six things. This gives you a lot you can work with as a DM, too. If he's a Fett or a Skirata or something like that, he has clan obligations. If he's married or a father/mother, there are obligations there since Mandalorians are expected to provide for their family (or their wives/husbands/sons/daughters can say that they're dead and divorce themselves from them). If he doesn't come when Mandalore calls, that's another problem.

If you or he want to read more on Mando culture, Karen Traviss put out a series of books linking up with the Republic Commando game. There's a ton of stuff in there about it.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Swags posted:

If you or he want to read more on Mando culture, Karen Traviss put out a series of books linking up with the Republic Commando game. There's a ton of stuff in there about it.

Do not do this. They are godawful.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

PantsOptional posted:

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Has anyone seen Star Wars Rebels? I caught it OnDemand before it premiered and it definitely inspired me, and seemed like a story that could very easily be told in game.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

PantsOptional posted:

Counterpoint; the first book is a little weak, and Imperial Commando ends on a cliffhanger that will never be resolved, but the 3 in the middle are drat good examples of Star Wars novels and break out from the hyper-focus on the Jedi order and other named characters we already know everything about.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

FISHMANPET posted:

Has anyone seen Star Wars Rebels? I caught it OnDemand before it premiered and it definitely inspired me, and seemed like a story that could very easily be told in game.

Yeah it's fantastic

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Coercion has always been kinda stuck. On one hand, you want the big meathead who glares sullenly at you to be able to actually make that threat. On the other hand, in most cases, it's the small wiseguy next to the big meathead that actually makes the threat; the meathead is just there to provide an example for what'll happen. Chewie didn't coerce the droids into losing - Han did.

My go-to example is Joe Pesci in Goodfellas. Joe Pesci is not a very frightening looking guy. He's not very scary. He's certainly not a high brawn character. But it's pretty clear the dude can intimidate and coerce the poo poo out of others.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

ProfessorCirno posted:

Coercion has always been kinda stuck. On one hand, you want the big meathead who glares sullenly at you to be able to actually make that threat. On the other hand, in most cases, it's the small wiseguy next to the big meathead that actually makes the threat; the meathead is just there to provide an example for what'll happen. Chewie didn't coerce the droids into losing - Han did.

My go-to example is Joe Pesci in Goodfellas. Joe Pesci is not a very frightening looking guy. He's not very scary. He's certainly not a high brawn character. But it's pretty clear the dude can intimidate and coerce the poo poo out of others.

Yeah. Chewbacca did a lot less "threatening people" and a lot more "deciding it's time to pick people up and throw them".

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
I was surprised to enjoy Rebels, so I decided to check out The Clone Wars (despite hating almost everything to do with the prequels). The Clone Troopers, while I find the entire story premise of them ridiculous and dislike the concept, are basically the best part and the only competent individuals around. I honestly feel bad that they end up dying in droves because they're being commanded by 14 year olds.

I really liked the Mandalorians from the KotoR games, and am worried what I'll find if I keep watching The Clone Wars to see their take on it.

Back to the RPG though, are there any good tools for running it online?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Gravy Train Robber posted:

Roll20 has a plugin thingy for the EotE dice in Hangouts, and there are now EotE character sheets available. Doesn't import from that amazing offline fan-built character builder, though, and the sheets are definitely ugly.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Gravy Train Robber posted:

I was surprised to enjoy Rebels, so I decided to check out The Clone Wars (despite hating almost everything to do with the prequels). The Clone Troopers, while I find the entire story premise of them ridiculous and dislike the concept, are basically the best part and the only competent individuals around. I honestly feel bad that they end up dying in droves because they're being commanded by 14 year olds.

I really liked the Mandalorians from the KotoR games, and am worried what I'll find if I keep watching The Clone Wars to see their take on it.

In the OP :colbert:

This will roll dice within roll20. The character sheet will interact with this script to roll stuff right from the character sheet. It's awesome. PM me if you need art/map assets.

https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/182569/script-edge-of-the-empire-dice-with-images-in-the-chat-window#post-1067084

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

ProfessorCirno posted:

In the old D6 system, intimidation was based on knowledge, so a protocol droid was more terrifying than a Wookiee.

I think what I’ll do is give the Wookiee a boost die when he’s trying to intimidate someone significantly smaller than he is. The reason he’s intimidating is situational. He’s huge, but he wouldn’t be getting that boost die against someone equally huge like a Herglic.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Bedurndurn posted:

Because in a setting where everybody has guns, being threatened with a wedgie isn't as scary as it was in middle school? Don't get me wrong, I don't think it's a terrible talent idea, but Brawn isn't the default for a reason. As for the cost, I'd look at his current spec's talent trees and pick a 20 or 25 point node to replace with your new talent. It's likely going to shift the skill from the wookie's worst stat to his best, so it should be expensive.

He's a wookiee. He can rip people's arms off with his bare hands.

Just let him swap in Brawn if it's context-logical, same way you can swap in Agility for Cunning when it comes to Skulduggery and a few other skills.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Well we played Escape from Mos Shuuta on friday and in general everyone had a really good time. I have never run a game from a book like that before, it has always been 20% notes on a piece of paper 80% improv and I struggled until I gave up reading out the descriptions and just followed the plot guidelines instead. The party managed to ruin the town by destroying the water tower and the player who had the Wookie character responded to every in character question directed to him the entire night with a Wookie noise. In the first encounter the droid took the first turn and wanted to convince the Gamorreans not to attack them. He rolled 4 success and a triumph so I had one of them run off to the palace in glee that they had found the party and that they had surrendered. Then the Wookie jumped down from the roof on top of the other two..

A couple of questions I had however, I just want to check that I was using my threat correctly. With was the junk shop owner, the party tried to convince him that they were picking up the hyperdrive part for the Trandoshan. When they rolled they got a final result of 2 success and 6(!!!) threat. On the fly I had it that they convinced him that they were the people they said they were, but he thought they were heavies sent to rough him up so he sent the R5 unit on a hover sled with the part to the ship to show goodwill, so now the Trandoshan was suspicious and the party had a time limit before he got it installed. Was that ok or a little heavy handed?

Also, a couple of times someone rolled a skill check and no success or failure, everything cancelled out, how do you normally interpret those rolls? And what about a no success or failure roll with a lot of advantage or threat?

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Phrosphor posted:

On the fly I had it that they convinced him that they were the people they said they were, but he thought they were heavies sent to rough him up so he sent the R5 unit on a hover sled with the part to the ship to show goodwill, so now the Trandoshan was suspicious and the party had a time limit before he got it installed. Was that ok or a little heavy handed?

That sounds good to me. Mechanically, with 6 threats you can buy a setback dice in the next encounter with the Trandoshan (suspicious), and grant a tactical advantage for the rest of the encounter (the time limit gives the Trandoshan leverage)

quote:

Also, a couple of times someone rolled a skill check and no success or failure, everything cancelled out, how do you normally interpret those rolls? And what about a no success or failure roll with a lot of advantage or threat?

Everything cancels out = failure. Once the failure establishes the fiction, either allow the players to spend their advantages as they see fit, or burn them with your stack of threats.

And one note in case you missed it... When tallying results, Triumphs are also +1 success and +1 advantage, but you can completely cancel out successes and advantages on the full roll and still have a Triumph at the end. Despairs work exactly the same way with failures and threats. Also, Triumphs are not cancelled out by Despairs. Because the height of pulp is a single action causing both Triumph and Despair.

e: haha totally hosed up the rules. corrected above.

fosborb fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Oct 20, 2014

Beach
Dec 13, 2004

No sign of intelligent life on this planet.

fosborb posted:

Also, Triumphs are not cancelled out by Despairs. Because the height of pulp is a single action causing both Triumph and Despair.

This ended up being the single most frustrating part of the system when my group started reaching higher levels. It just became exhausting trying to figure out both a narrative triumph and despair on what seemed like every other skillcheck, so we finally house ruled that they cancel each other.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
I could see that. We're rolling 3 or 4 yellows on every skill check so they come up a lot.

We've drifted a bit too, using Triumphs/Despairs more as narrative Destiny Points. They are often somewhat disconnected from the immediate results of an action.

"My heavy blaster collapses part of the structure making back up harder to reach us"

has become

"This victory will make [this session's antagonist] fear us."

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Triumphs give +1 success....but I'm almost certain they do not give +1 advantage.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
You are right! Thank you! We have been playing that wrong for a very, very long time.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
IMPGAME is back in action, for those playing. For those of you just joining us, this is an AoR game that uses those rules to actually play as Imperials, namely members of an elite section of the ISB tasked with finding and destroying the Rebellion in the wake of the first Death Star's destruction.

I want to keep going with it, we'll see how many players we still have, but never fail! The format is such that players/Agents can be swapped in and out on Operations without it really killing the narrative. Here's also a link to the OOC thread, if anyone has any interest in it or just wants a fun read!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3611415

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Oct 20, 2014

Swags
Dec 9, 2006

jivjov posted:

Counterpoint; the first book is a little weak, and Imperial Commando ends on a cliffhanger that will never be resolved, but the 3 in the middle are drat good examples of Star Wars novels and break out from the hyper-focus on the Jedi order and other named characters we already know everything about.

This is basically what I meant. I really liked following the clones and the sergeants rather than just a bunch of samurai space wizards.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
One of my players wants to play a Cathar. Are they in any of the official books yet? Otherwise I'll just use the unofficial menagerie one.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Excelsiortothemax posted:

One of my players wants to play a Cathar. Are they in any of the official books yet? Otherwise I'll just use the unofficial menagerie one.

No official stats yet. I wouldn't be surprised if they show up in a Force and Destiny supplement at some point though.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Doublepost, but wildly different topic:

How are people feeling about the Beta Updates to F&D? #7 added "Gain +1 of conflict at the start of the session" to anyone with the Terrify talent. I'm of two minds on it...Its a talent that VERY darkside in intent. And even if you're using it for good...you're textually SCARING THE poo poo out of NPCs. That's worth some conflict, but I dunno how I feel about gaining conflict just for having the talent at all. It feels like FFG is trying to take the line "Once you start down that dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny" and make it a rule.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

jivjov posted:

Doublepost, but wildly different topic:

How are people feeling about the Beta Updates to F&D? #7 added "Gain +1 of conflict at the start of the session" to anyone with the Terrify talent. I'm of two minds on it...Its a talent that VERY darkside in intent. And even if you're using it for good...you're textually SCARING THE poo poo out of NPCs. That's worth some conflict, but I dunno how I feel about gaining conflict just for having the talent at all. It feels like FFG is trying to take the line "Once you start down that dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny" and make it a rule.

I hadn't seen that one. I like the use of Conflict in the design space, but having it attached to a TALENT for all time, regardless of Morality . . . hmm. Well, it's only +1, so if you are in general behaving in a moral way (and never scare anyone), it should rarely be a factor. Overall, I think I like it. Don't take Terrify if you don't want that to be part of who you are for the rest of the campaign.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

I don't like that there is no way to remove it if you happen to return to the light side.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Well, to be fair, the tree it's in is pretty conflict-heavy. And there are a couple people over on the FFG forums who say they're playing light-siders with that talent. From a a certain point of view, it makes sense; you learn how to abjectly terrify people amplified by your force powers, that's gonna be part of you. Someone equated to an alcoholic who's been sober for 25 years but still identifies as an addict and lives in constant apprehension of falling off the wagon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

jivjov posted:

Well, to be fair, the tree it's in is pretty conflict-heavy. And there are a couple people over on the FFG forums who say they're playing light-siders with that talent. From a a certain point of view, it makes sense; you learn how to abjectly terrify people amplified by your force powers, that's gonna be part of you. Someone equated to an alcoholic who's been sober for 25 years but still identifies as an addict and lives in constant apprehension of falling off the wagon.

Yes, this is actually what I was thinking of. The sober alcoholic who never touches a drink -- the former dark side user who never raises his lightsaber in anger -- will be fine.