Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Arcturas posted:

Ok, so generally you get a few stats to 3 and one to 2, then pick up a big pile of skills?

The optimal usage of your starting XP is to dump it all into the stats you'll use since the only time you can buy characteristics with XP is during character creation. Get one to 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

It should be Willpower because god drat you have to have balls of steel to wield a weapon that can dismember you on bad backswing.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

I've been out of the SW RPG game for a while, but seeing Rogue One and catching up partially on this thread has rekindled some interest. I GM'd EotE shortly after it came out, I have the core book, GM screen, and 2 sets of dice. I'm curious about the AoR and F&D content, so what's the best bang for your buck at this point? Any amazing adventures worth getting?

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

So here's a lore question that's been kinda bugging me lately. In Force and Destiny, the Jedi are this almost-lost near-mythological shattered order and the force itself is all but forgotten. Okay. But when Anakin was growing up, the Jedi are like, super well known. They get involved in state affairs in some of the major core planets, sit in on senate meetings, heads of state defer to their advice, etc. They seem very well integrated into the ruling class and it's not like any of that is a secret. They build giant temples out in the open on major core worlds. They're the opposite of a secret order. So how do you explain them going from non-secret ruling class magicians to urban legend in the span of like, 2 human lifetimes (Anakin and Luke)? No propaganda machine is that good at making something so large disappear.

I realize asking Star Wars to make sense is a pretty tall order but what's the given reason for this?

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

All good points to consider, thanks everyone!

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

So I have the opportunity to run SWRPG for some friends from work who have never played an RPG before. I figured I'd roll up some pregens and run one of the published adventures and I'm trying to decide which one to run. I have the three core books and the EotE GM screen adventure, so it will probably be one of those. One guy wanted to see some Force stuff so, I'll probably have a Force user pregen, even if I run one of the other adventures. Anyone have thoughts on what would be good?

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

LongDarkNight posted:

Is there a list of other suggested starting ships for an EOTE group besides the 3 in the core book?

The book says they can have any ship costing 120k or less. So you can give them whatever you want.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

So last weekend I ran the F&D intro adventure with 2 of my coworkers and it worked pretty well. This coming weekend I plan on running the AoR adventure from the rulebook, The Perlemian Haul. Reading it, there's a lot of potential for combat with not much in the way of downtime in between. It seems to be written for 3-5 players, which is basically Hard Mode for just 2. What changes should I make to alter the balance here? I was thinking just cutting minion soak/wounds in half. Maybe be super liberal with boost die?

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

KittyEmpress posted:

The only way to be a force user at starting [which all premades are made for, starting out], you need to use Force and Destiny classes.

That's not strictly true. You can spend starting XP to buy into the force sensitive exile/emergent specializations to get a force rating. Not optimal XP expenditure but you can do it.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

This roll has come up twice in as many sessions somehow and I'm not sure what the exact rule is, so I'm asking it here. The die pool shows a Triumph and a Failure after all other cancelations. Is the check successful? Does the Failure cancel the Success part of the Triumph?

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I'm on mobile and can't look; when a weapon's range is listed as Long, that means it can shoot from long range without penalty? Or can you just not fire past that range?

Weapon listed range is the max it can fire, period. Attack difficulty is based on range listed in the table in the combat chapter (forget if it's 3 or 4 purples).

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

For most species you'll have 5-10 XP left over anyway. I think it's pretty rare to be able to spend literally all of your starting XP on characteristics.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

imperialparadox posted:

Would the player of the vigilante even want to have his obligation drop? I mean if he has vigilante as an obligation, it sort of implies that the character feels that it is his duty to bring justice to criminals, so lowering his obligation would sort of imply that the character stops caring about this. If the player wants to do that it's fine, but if it's a core part of the character concept it's probably something that the player wouldn't actually want to lower, I would think.

Is the vigilante obligation in a class book? I haven't heard of it.

Regardless, vigilantism is by its nature illegal, and the authorities frown upon illegal things. Raising or lowering their obligation could reflect how much heat their activities are generating, rather than the character's interest in the cause.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

You get the highest soak, they don't stack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

RC Cola posted:

I am starting a session of EoE for the first time this Thursday. Any tips for a new player? I just want to be some sort of droid scoundrel is all I know so far.

Spend as much of your starting XP as you can on increasing your characteristics - character creation is the only time you can do this. Beyond that, see above.