Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
For myself I'll just tell them the difficulty of the check they want to make. Either I tell them flat out, or if they come up with an idea, then I'll parse one out.

In my opinion it is about making the adventure fun for your players.

Losing is ok sometimes, but ultimately you want your party to succeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
One of my players wants to play a Cathar. Are they in any of the official books yet? Otherwise I'll just use the unofficial menagerie one.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
I made a player rage quit today. Not sure if I should feel good or bad about it.

We were playing the Mos Shadaa beginning adventure for ETOE. They got to the point where they had to fight Trex.

Trex is supposed to run around the ship and shoot the players along with the droids. I felt that the encounter was boring so Trex hopped in the pilot seat and started making pilot checks to throw the party from the ship.

The Togorian jedi character saved the party several times from being thrown from the ship off of the open ramp. Trex gets frustrated, turns the ship vertical, and then shoots down at the party from the safety of the pilot seat.

Eventually the Zabrak jedi used Force Move to close the ramp so the party didn't have to worry about the Storm troopers who arrived and were now shooting at them.

With the party now safe the Torgorian says he wants to climb up the ship, grab Trex and melee him with his vibro weapon.

I tell him it's a Average Athletics check but I spent a Dark side destiny to increase the check.

He rolls a Despair, two terrors and a fail. Before I could give his result he had to leave the room and go for a walk.

Eventually the rest of the party defeats Trex, shanghai's the ship and fly off into the void.

Still not sure if I that player will rejoin or not.

Excelsiortothemax fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Nov 3, 2014

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Best art pose for a blaster ever.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Are you using Destiny dice? I didn't see it mentioned at all. It literally lets you screw around with your players rolls or just add bullshit to the scene to give them a greater challenge.

Murderbot charges at your bounty hunter? Well, too bad it was really just his helmet on a stick!

Player character ripping off the cockpit? Time to punch it into hyperspace immediately!

I agree with others as well, making your players come up with the horrible events really helps.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
I'm not a fan of that. A player made a character he enjoys within the system. Let him play Terminator, just find ways to challenge him and the party.

Try some environmental hazards as well. Let's say that they are fighting on an asteroid made of iron. An errant shot fries a nearby power generator and magnetized the portion that the PCs are in. So now murderbot has to pass a strength check and spend strain to use maneuvers. You can also hit the other party members with this so its not singled out to hit him.

Of course, conversation is key. Talk to your players and see if they are having fun. If so then I'd explain that you want to try some new things to make combat more interesting.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Too confusing. If you need a timer just use one or keep giving the players larger amounts of setback dice representing the pressure they are under.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Space combat is tricky in this game. I almost blew up the parties ship as they were fleeing from 4 TIEs and a Lambda shuttle with the officer on board. They managed to blow up 3 of the TIEs and heavily harm the shuttle, but mostly because I was looking at the wrong stat page.

I do wish that I would get a chance to PC rather than GM, but everyone keeps saying they are having fun so I must be doing something right (even if I left their ship with 3 hull points left)

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

Endman posted:

I always find it handy to use the GM tools that are paired with this character generator to print out the stat blocks of everything in an individual encounter on a single page, especially if it's a space battle. You also need to do a lot of behind-the-screen work keeping track of the ranges and speeds everything is running at.

Also, if you run a lot of space battles, I'd say definitely take a squiz at Stay on Target. It has neat rules for passive conditions, such as flying through asteroid fields and giant space battles. The latter is especially useful for creating the feel of being in a big space battle without necessarily keeping track of every individual thing that's happening that doesn't directly involve the players.

Thank you! This will be invaluable!

Following all of your ideas I'm going to make my campaign after Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Since the party is working for Borga the Hutt, he will contract them out to investigate several raids by a currently unknown gang into his territory.

Following the latest lead will turn them up at a warehouse that Borga was using to move illegal spices. The warehouse actually contains a secret bunker that the 'gang' was looking for. It is a chamber that holds a piece to unlock the chamber of an ancient Sith Lord that discovered immortality.

The gang itself are cultists that worship the Sith and seek to restore the Sith Lord to life. The Emperor wants the tomb for himself and so backing them and using Stormtroopers to help.

I figure I can mostly port the set pieces over and throw in enough sci-fi that they'll never see it through it.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
I would just use Pilot Planetary rolls. Compare successes, each roll is a lap, go 5 laps. Advantages are used for boosts or to give your opponent difficulty dice. If your players want let them use social skills to try to intimidate or coerce the other pilots by suffering a strain.

I would really recommend a dice roller app to speed up the progress.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
You can try the many stair way puzzle. Have the group all enter into the room but they appear in a different opening each time initially.

Have two resolutions, one where a crafty player can connect the correct passage of stairs to get out, or for those that like to 'roll' play their way out, very hard Cunning and...Discipline? check.

Another one

Have the players arrive in a locked room. There is a door way on the otherwise but it's behind an impenetrable force field.

The only other thing in the room is a clock face with two hands. The only thing on the clock is the word chaos in red on the top(where the 12 would go) in an ancient alien language . One of the hands is red the other blue.

A successful perception check notices that on the top and bottom of the clock are two slots(the pcs can remove the hands)

To successfully solve the puzzle the PCs must take the hands off the clock with out spinning them so both point to the word. They must then take the blue hand and put it in the top slot, and the red hand in the bottom one. That unlocks the door.

Point both hands at 12, getting the insertion wrong or smashing the clock face will set off the trap. How deadly I leave up to you, though my DM in DND said it was 6d6 damage for a level 3 5th edition character(that would have killed everyone)

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

NutritiousSnack posted:

I'm trying to get weekly game of Exalted off the ground, but if you wouldn't mind playing bi monthly, I'd be willing to run one.

Id be in as well. I currently run a game but would love to play.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
I'd be up for a NA Star Wars game over voice. It's what my main group does right now as we all live in different cities/provinces.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Still say the best version I ever heard was the Star Wars prequels played like Space Cops. Have Annikin the new rookie and Obi-wan the existing Knight.

Add some drama, done explosive, and maybe an honest to god love triangle.

The movie makes itself.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Just encourage the pilot to take a few ranks of Light or Heavy weaponry and they will be a good contributor to the group. They can even be the fixer by taking some ranks in Mechanics.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Don't forget about Dark Side fate points. Use them to screw with your parties dice/enhance your own.

Have a Guardian with the emotional strength of valour? He better have the rest of the party stay back unless he wants Conflict.

Give stuff for the rest of the party to do. Plant explosives while fending off endless waves of troopers and droids.

Take control of the plummeting ship that is crashing into the planet you were orbiting.

While the Sith and Jedi are duelling on top of the moving hover train, have the rest of the party continue with the train heist and get that loot! Just watch out for the swoop bike gang that wants to crash your heist and get the loot for themselves.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Also as a social character, try helping the party by cheering them on and giving them blue dice, hacking any data ports to close blast doors, offer spice to the closest NPC that will help you out and shoot the other guys, try to talk down the others from shooting.

Really unless your party is just made of murder hobos, then you should have lots of opportunities to do stuff.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Plus if your GM ever wants he can launch a rakghoul attack on you if you ever delve too deep.

Fun for everyone!

Mostly the rakghouls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
In my Death Watch game we had to secure the bridge of an enemy ship we has just violently boarded. The bridge was secured behind a thick blast door. Rather than use our explosives and risk damage to ourselves we just had one of our kill team rip said blast door out of its frame, and toss it aside.

Their were no surviving heretics.

Whatever is fun for the players and advances the story.