Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
Our group hit 100+ obligation last week. Whoops.

Most of this is the 150,000 credit we each have on our head (we've been Hutt-hunting) so the solution we've come up with is to steal a Death Watch cruiser and crash it into Jabba's palace. Death Watch have been allying with the younger Hutts in a simmering Hutt civil war, but have been pretty discrete about their involvement so far.

We killed 20 Death Watch last session on our way to their ship. They were staying in a hotel of an on-again-off-again young Hutt benefactor of ours. Pash, whose own bounty far outstrips any conceivable prize money, is about to run in a land speeder race.

This will surely bring our obligation down, right? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

TheTofuShop posted:

I'd say that the Hutts and a few members of Death Watch have either paid mercenaries to kill Pash in the race, or rig his landspeeder for problems or something.

Has your group just been blasting through everything on the way to 100+ Obligation?

Oh certainly. Pash is going to be racing against all assassins, in front of an audience of spy masters, for the Gom Jabbar Cup. The only hope is that the young Hutts sort of find us useful right now because we keep killing old Hutts and the young Hutts are running these races. Hopefully Pash races before the young Hutts discover our plan to expose the Death Watch connection to the Hutt Grand Council, but considering the number of despairs that were rolled last session...

I think we did too much for the Black Sun which made them great allies, but pointed a gently caress of a lot of heat back on us. And we basically ignored the Hutts' increasing anger. And we keep grabbing force sensitive artifacts from the Empire. And the Wookiee stole an ancient Trandoshan mask and keeps calling himself The Scorekeeper when he rips arms off of Trandoshans. And Oskara is basically Weedlord of Ryloth.

edit: honestly, the obligation system is keeping us somewhat on track with the wider universe events, but I think we will find that the duty system fits better with the group's play style. The GM is slowly moving us over as we knock out obligation, but we just have a lot of it...

fosborb fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Sep 12, 2014

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I'm thinking of starting a game with the Beginner's adventure to introduce some player's to the system. Does anyone have some experience on what did and didn't work in the adventure when the dice started rolling? We're all experienced with tabletop so I was figuring on using the pregen characters and the adventure as a sort of pre-credit sequence so the players can get an idea of how the classes play before rolling their own.

Edit: Oops sorry, forgot they do one for each game. EotE.

Your players can skip large portions between the first encounter and getting off planet if they focus on skills before combat. This is good and shouldn't be stopped. Skill checks mean more chances for failures, disadvantages, and dispairs to complicate their lives.

I think the starting book could do better with describing outcomes. But I also haven't looked at it in awhile so it might be better than I remember. Regardless, this is how I think if the results:
Success/Failure: accomplishing task at hand
Advantage/Disadvantage: changes circumstances around the task
Triumph/Dispair: significantly change the tone/pitch of the battle or immediate goal

And of course, the system is vulnerable to just saying no after failures. It always runs smoother with "no, but"s or "yes, and"s even if a player drops failure + disadvantage + dispair.

The positive dice (yellow, green, light blue) are different than the negative dice (red, purple, black). It's not a huge difference, but it does matter that you role your checks as GM with negative dice. The negative dice have more swing but also I think it helps solidify the narrative concept of the dice.

The GM guide does a great job of slowly adding mechanics, but the last encounter (as written) is a space battle entirely unlike anything else before it. The rest you can run completely blind (seriously), but if you choose to run the space battle, read the entire section first and maybe walk a few rounds of combat through beforehand. Linked shots on top of all the other mechanical changes completely threw me. I was in danger of spending the entire encounter with my nose in the book, so I made arbitrary calls on the fly and the encounter was honestly worse for it.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
when firing ship based weapons against minions the collateral is always more interesting.

We usually roll with the "less collateral damage for what you're about to do = higher difficulty on the gunnery check." There is always collateral damage. The dice tell us how much there is and if it benefits us.

VVVV yessssss

fosborb fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Sep 19, 2014

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Valatar posted:

Droids are pretty good in this incarnation, I wouldn't balk at playing one. The way they're laid out really sort of begs for a person to specialize by boosting just one or two stats very high, but that makes sense given that droids are machines usually optimized for a small range of tasks that fall under their specialty.

Example: our PC droid is doing quite well never ever firing a shot in 20+ sessions and just remaining behind the scenes and hacking the hell out of everything in a planetoid-wide range.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
I don't understand how you could play FF's Star Wars like the original trilogy. You'd have to be fighting against the system tooth and nail on every roll, right?

It's Clone Wars the kids' show. If you have to tie it to a movie, 9 times out of 10 it's Episode VI joyous rear end kicking with Episode I speed races and kick flips.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Phrosphor posted:

On the fly I had it that they convinced him that they were the people they said they were, but he thought they were heavies sent to rough him up so he sent the R5 unit on a hover sled with the part to the ship to show goodwill, so now the Trandoshan was suspicious and the party had a time limit before he got it installed. Was that ok or a little heavy handed?

That sounds good to me. Mechanically, with 6 threats you can buy a setback dice in the next encounter with the Trandoshan (suspicious), and grant a tactical advantage for the rest of the encounter (the time limit gives the Trandoshan leverage)

quote:

Also, a couple of times someone rolled a skill check and no success or failure, everything cancelled out, how do you normally interpret those rolls? And what about a no success or failure roll with a lot of advantage or threat?

Everything cancels out = failure. Once the failure establishes the fiction, either allow the players to spend their advantages as they see fit, or burn them with your stack of threats.

And one note in case you missed it... When tallying results, Triumphs are also +1 success and +1 advantage, but you can completely cancel out successes and advantages on the full roll and still have a Triumph at the end. Despairs work exactly the same way with failures and threats. Also, Triumphs are not cancelled out by Despairs. Because the height of pulp is a single action causing both Triumph and Despair.

e: haha totally hosed up the rules. corrected above.

fosborb fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Oct 20, 2014

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
I could see that. We're rolling 3 or 4 yellows on every skill check so they come up a lot.

We've drifted a bit too, using Triumphs/Despairs more as narrative Destiny Points. They are often somewhat disconnected from the immediate results of an action.

"My heavy blaster collapses part of the structure making back up harder to reach us"

has become

"This victory will make [this session's antagonist] fear us."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
You are right! Thank you! We have been playing that wrong for a very, very long time.