Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Fantasy Flight Games has spent a couple years now fleshing out their Star Wars RPG from beta to now two full core books, and an upcoming core book for Force & Destiny in the spring of 2015. The game focuses on narrative gameplay using special Star Wars dice. Couple these new mechanics with FFG's amazing production values and you have one of the best Star Wars games ever produced.

Core Books

The first core book, Edge of the Empire, focused on scum & villainy and adventures outside of the typical Star Wars movie stories about the Rebellion & Empire. Players can play as Bounty Hunters, Hired Guns, Explorers, Technicians, Fringers, or Smugglers. Obligation is the mechanic unique to this system. Obligation is basically the reason a character is being played in an adventure; they have to pay someone off, they have an addiction and need to get their fix, they owe someone a favor. Think Han Solo at the end of A New Hope. A player starts with Obligation and tries to "pay it off", and may end up with other obligation aldong the way.

The second core book, Age of Rebellion explores the traditional Star Wars RPG turf: the Galactic Civil War. Players can play as Rebel agents, subject to Duty, in 6 careers: Ace, Commander, Diplomat, Engineer, Soldier, and Spy. Duty is the opposite of Obligation: you start with very little, and earn it as you do your Duty to the Alliance. Duty allows you to "purchase" perks, goods, favors, etc. and raises your status in the Rebellion.

Force and Destiny is the last core book in the series. The book centers around use of the Force and running Jedi characters. These aren't prequel Jedi who run, jump, and force slam everything. They aren't EU Jedi who pull Star Destroyers out of orbit. Think of Obi-Wan in A New Hope; the old trickster who can handle a lightsaber. Jedi use Morality, a new mechanic pitting two facets of an emotion against each other. The character handles Morality in a Bioware-esque fashion, falling to the Dark side after enough immoral actions, or becoming a paragon of the Light after many adventures spent doing good.

Beginners Games

These boxed games are very popular right now in RPGs. There is a beginner game for each of the core rulebooks officially released:

The Edge of the Empire beginner game focuses on a party of pre-generated characters fighting their way through Mos Shuuta on Tatooine. It comes with great maps, dice, tokens, an intro rulebook, and an adventure. It's very easy to pick up and run, and has a bonus adventure online for free on FFG's site.

The Age of Rebellion beginner game gives the Rebellion the same treatment as the previous beginner game. It comes with maps, dice, pre-generated characters, an intro rulebook, tokens, and an adventure. There's a free follow-up adventure on FFG's site for it.

The Force & Destiny beginner game gives force users a beginner game. Maps, dice, pre-gens, etc. Assume there will be a follow up adventure.

The Force Awakens beginner game will feature adventures on Jakku and comes loaded with goodies like the other beginner adventures.

Adventures

There are three standalone adventures published for the system so far:

Beyond the Rim, a space exploration adventure to the edge of the galaxy looking for a lost ship on a jungle planet. Includes rules for cybernetics.

The Jewel of Yavin, an adventure to Cloud City. Includes racing rules.

Onslaught at Arda 1, a desperate defense against an Imperial attack that helps bring Edge characters into the Rebellion. Includes rules for mass combat.

Mask of the Pirate Queen, a bounty hunting adventure to catch a powerful Pirate Queen.

Chronicles of the Gatekeeper is the first Force and Destiny adventure.

Sourcebooks

Enter the Unknown

A sourcebook for Explorers, introduces new gear, specializations like Big Game Hunter and Archaeologist (Indiana Jones) and new vehicles/ships. Also features rules for Chiss, Duros and Toydarians.

Suns of Fortune

A Corellian sourcebook that includes rules for Drall, Selonians, and Corellian humans. This book also has gear, ships and vehicles, and new locales like Centerpoint Station.

Dangerous Covenants

New rules for Hired guns, including new gear, weapons, ships, vehicles, talents, and rules for Aqualish, Weequay, and Klatooinians.

Far Horizons

The colonist sourcebook. Includes rules for homesteads, new talents, gear, weapons, vehicles, and ships. Also includes rules to play as Gran, Chevin, and Arcona.

Stay on Target

A career book for the Ace. It has Beast riding, rigger, and hotshot trees, along with Chadra-Fan, Dressellian, and Xexto races, plus rules to play as an astromech.

Lords of Nal Hutta

A Hutt space sourcebook, with black market rules, Sakiyans, Nikto, Ganks, and Hutts.

Fly Casual

A career sourcebook for Smugglers.

Desperate Allies

Diplomat sourcebook. New races: Caamasi, Neimoidian, Gossam.

Strongholds of Resistance

Setting sourcebook for Age of Rebellion including places like Chandrilla and Echo Base.

Lead by Example

Commander Sourcebook.

Keeping the Peace is a sourcebook for Jedi Guardians.

Special Modifications

New career sourcebook for Technicians adding slicing and droid modification.

Nexus of Power

Sourcebook for F&D locations.

Savage Spirits

Seeker sourcebook for F&D.

Forged in Battle

Soldier sourcebook for Age of Rebellion.

Endless Vigil

Sentinel sourcebook for Force & Destiny

Accessories

You can buy Star Wars Dice separately, and there is an app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fantasyflightgames.swdice&hl=en

There are talent decks for player characters and NPC decks are coming for GMs.

There's also a GM screen for each game:

The Edge of the Empire GM screen comes with an adventure, and rules for creating Nemeses. The Age of Rebellion GM Screen comes with an adventure, and rules for using squads.

Adversary decks: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=5076

Crit decks: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/6/4/hard-knocks/

OK, what should I buy?

If you want to get into the game, the Beginners games are great value. The dice are worth half the cost of the box alone; you get maps, intro rules, and two adventures (thanks to the free online supplements) for under 30 bucks. Which game you pick is up to you.

It's easy to integrate characters into both games. You can have Obligation and Duty all in one game, and each character can have both. This isn't like the WH40k roleplaying games where some characters are stronger than others. Even the F&D characters can work with AoR and EotE characters, though the beta book warns that Jedi get much stronger eventually.

The Core books are huge, well worth their 60 dollar price tags. Both include all the rules you need to play. It's really up to the GM as to what kind of campaign to run.

After that, your purchases are really up to you. The published adventures have all been pretty good, full of great fluff and art, and some new mechanics.

How do the dice work? I don't want to buy custom dice.

The dice work really well. You roll a dice pool, combining trained skills and natural abilities, against a difficulty, adding in any boosts from your friends or setbacks from your environment. Then you look at the symbols that come up when you roll:

All you need is one success to succeed. Successes are cancelled by Failures. Advantages are the narrative aspect of the game; you use these to represent side effects, and you can "spend" them to initiate game mechanics. The GM can spend threat in a similar way. Triumph means something great has happened (like firing a proton torpedo down a narrow shaft into a 3 meter wide exhaust port without the aid of a targeting computer) and Despair means something terrible has happened (like the hyperdrive motivator has gone out after your trip through an asteroid field). The GM helps adjudicate these dice results but the players drive a lot of the narrative with regards to Advantage and Triumph.

What free stuff is there out there?

There's a character builder.

There is Roll20 support

Free adventures:

Under a Black sun intro

Long Arm of the Hutt (bonus adventure for EotE beginner game)

Operation Shadowpoint (bonus adventure for AoR beginner game)

alg fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Oct 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

News:

Added Chronicles of the Gatekeeper

6/4/15

Crit decks are available: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/6/4/hard-knocks/

2/10/15

Desperate Allies announced. F&D Core and GM screen announced.

9/23/14

Adversary decks released.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=5076

9/15/14

Lords of Nal Hutta announced for Edge of the Empire. Setting sourcebook for Hutt Space. Sakiyans, Nikto, Ganks, and Hutts.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=5053

8/22/14

Stay On Target announced for Age of Rebellion. A career book for the Ace. It has Beast riding, rigger, and hotshot trees, along with Chadra-Fan, Dressellian, and Xexto races, plus rules to play as an astromech.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=5009

8/20/14

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4927

Rebellion Day is September 13th. Stores can purchase a kit to run an adventure and send everyone home with maps, character sheets, and 1 pack of dice.

Rebellion Day stores are up:

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=5035

Force & Destiny beta is out at GenCon.

alg fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Oct 22, 2015

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Emerald Rogue posted:

I just got the Age of rebellion core book - and it's really neat! Except that I've read the sections on Duty about four times and cannot figure out how you are supposed to increase a character's Duty score. Do you spend XP on it? If so, what does it cost? Does the GM just hand it out in exchange for accomplishing appropriate tasks? What's a good rate to dish it out?

Is there a section on this in the book that I'm missing? Some errata I can't find on FFG's website?

Edit: Haha, "Big Idiot, Bad Post" - is this the new "Stupid Newbie" avatar?

The GM chapter handles this.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Drone posted:

Looks like I'm going to be GM'ing EotE for the first time this Friday for some strangers on the internet. I've never GM'd before, and really don't have any non-PbP experience in general. Anyone have any tips?

For this first session I want to run it as a group test -- testing myself as a GM, and testing the chemistry of a group of strangers on Skype -- so I want a one-off adventure. If things go well, I'll start off a campaign with the following session, allowing those who stuck around to carry their characters over. Which published module would work best for this as a one-off, or should I try to homebrew something basic in the next couple days?

I would try Under a Black Sun, it's free and intended to give people an intro to the game. Roll20 would work great instead of Skype, it runs in Hangouts.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/StarWarsRPG/edge-of-the-empire/adventures/Under%20a%20Black%20Sun%20HiRes.pdf

alg
Mar 14, 2007

SpookyLizard posted:

Is this to say there some sort of integrated functionality between Hangouts and Roll20? Because that sounds neat. I've done a lot Roll 20 + skype though.

You can host a Roll20 inside hangouts, using the hangouts voice/video and using whatever hangouts apps you like. There's an EOTE dice tool for Hangouts if you aren't a Roll20 mentor and can't use API scripts.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Emerald Rogue posted:

I am either dense (totally possible) or have a defective book, because I am looking at the core book right now and can't find anything more specific than these lines in the GM section:

Is that it? That's as specific as the book gets? If so, that's cool, but I was sort of hoping for a guideline on advancing Duty, like the book gives for handing out XP.

Weeeeeird. So in the Beta, there is a sidebar. It encourages a reward of 1-10 duty for achieving the goal of their Duty, with magnitude based on how much they did toward their duty. I'm still searching, but it's not in the "Using Duty" section of the GM chapter.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Force and Destiny beta site is live.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=5005

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Reminder for new thread: if you want digital map making goods, PM me.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=5009

:allears:

alg
Mar 14, 2007

I just want to play as an Astromech slotted into a player's fighter in some kind of buddy flick adventure.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Anyone heard anything about Rebellion Day? Starting to think FFG poo poo the bed on this one, haven't heard anything at my store at all, after applying on the first day.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Macintosh HD posted:

Is it just me or has FFG poo poo the bed in general regarding organized events? As far as I can see, their website doesn't even show local game stores that sell their product or run events?

Their Store Championship stuff was great, and game night kits are great too. They skipped Free RPG Day this year to do this Rebellion Day thing but it seems like GenCon slowed them down a lot.

edit: Regionals were awful this year, hopefully they go back to last year's model.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

:getin:

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Sept 13th, make a character!

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Valatar posted:

Is there anything official for having the players be Imperials? I know the military careers are easily reskinned to make a party of Imperial soldiers and pilots instead of rebels if you hand them Imperial gear and ships, but I'm a bit curious as to whether the option is ever even addressed.

Nope. Re-skin is really easy though

alg
Mar 14, 2007

jivjov posted:

This is more of a general GMing advice question, but its for my Star Wars game, so I'll ask it here...

My players have sort of a habit of backpedaling on plans once they find out what kind of check it will involve. Like, I'll tell my face character "Well, that's really more of a Coerce type of situation since there's a clear threat involved and you're not bullshitting him". Sometimes they'll try to flavor it a different way to justify using Deception or Charm or whatever instead, and I usually will let it slide, but sometimes its just "Oh I don't want to try that after all" or turning to another player "hey, your Coerce is way better, you take over the conversation", which feels a little metagame-y to me.

I don't want to be the rear end in a top hat GM who says "You said it, now you're stuck with it" (especially since one of the players is very very new to tabletop gaming in general), but I also don't want to encourage the behavior of always shunting responsibility for a check onto the sole person with the best stat or skill to handle it.

In the process of typing this post, I had one idea I'll throw out there...adding setback dice to social checks when mid-conversation the primary PC doing the talking switches to someone else, since they're diluting they're own stance/case/argument if they're letting someone else do the talking.

I would do the setback die. Eventually they will learn what actions go with what skills, and it won't be an issue.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

What were the aliens added in the new Colonist book? Any interesting stats?

Gran, Chevin, and Arcona. Gran are social dudes, Chevin are tough dudes, and Arcona are...good at Willpower

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Drone posted:

Oh man, I've liked Arcona ever since I first saw ANH. Chevin are cool too.

Weren't Gran already in a previous book?

They are in AoR

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Halverine posted:

I'm so keen to get a game of this going. We are supposed to be continuing our 13th Age campaign but scheduling issues mean we are lucky to get everyone together for a 4 hour session once every two months.

As a lifelong Star Wars fan I would like to know how close does this game get to the fantasy of actually being a part in the Star Wars universe?

Thanks also for the custom title inspiration.

Its pretty drat cinematic. The dice work spectacularly and the look & feel of the books is the best of any Star Wars RPG. The only rough spot is starship combat, which has never been done very well. That mostly depends on your group make-up.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Gravy Train Robber posted:

Have they said whether the Rebellion Day/Rescue at Glare Peak materials will be made available after the event? Like "Under a Black Sun" was for Edge of the Empire?

They haven't said anything about it

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Carteret posted:

*cough* can you make .pdfs? :wink:

:wink:

alg
Mar 14, 2007

I use an old :filez: crawl generator on a Mac virtual machine to make really good crawls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COrBQ51UD4A

PM me for details

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Valatar posted:

God dammit.

Actually, the language filter on the official generator plus the weird shortness of the audio sort of hamper it. alg's video looks amazing on the other hand, but my only mac is a hackintoshed netbook and I have grave doubts about whether it could run that. May still give it a try though, since the results were fantastic.

My players adore my crawls and they load right into Hangouts alongside Roll20. It's worth the effort!

alg
Mar 14, 2007

First beta update for F&D is up http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=5037

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Rebellion day was awesome :allears:

alg
Mar 14, 2007

It really sucks that FFG decided to do Rebellion day instead of Free RPG Day. Everyone who tried the game today was really impressed by the system.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=5053

Hutt Space book!

YES

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I'm thinking of starting a game with the Beginner's adventure to introduce some player's to the system. Does anyone have some experience on what did and didn't work in the adventure when the dice started rolling? We're all experienced with tabletop so I was figuring on using the pregen characters and the adventure as a sort of pre-credit sequence so the players can get an idea of how the classes play before rolling their own.

Which beginner game

edit: Anyone who wants more information on Rebellion Day adventure, PM me

alg fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Sep 15, 2014

alg
Mar 14, 2007

F&D beta update 2: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=5058

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Adversary cards are available finally!

http://store.fantasyflightgames.com/productdetails.cfm?SKU=uSWR03

http://store.fantasyflightgames.com/productdetails.cfm?SKU=uSWR02

http://store.fantasyflightgames.com/productdetails.cfm?SKU=uSWR01

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Valatar posted:

Other RPGs aren't being published for sixty bucks a book by a company that has ties with legions of artists that they use to produce the graphics on piles of board and card games. They'd probably look great too if they were. Same reason Wizards tends to have high-quality art design for D&D stuff.

Man D&D 4E was a fun game but the art was dreadful. A lot of it was recycled from previous editions and they just shoehorned it onto pages.

I know I'm a huge FFG Star Wars fanboy but they do so much more with their amazing art than most companies, it's really weird looking at other books now. The only thing I've found that comes close is the IKRPG.

edit: I think FFG has an advantage that X-Wing and the LCG also use a ton of art, and make them money. They get a lot more out of their art than most companies

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Valatar posted:

I hated the saga system so very much. I set up a game in the old republic era with some friends, and it seemed to be calibrated with the utmost care to remove as much joy and excitement as possible from the game. Everything was just...meh. This is the best Star Wars RPG system to date, in my opinion. It's not perfect, but it meets the stated goal of cinematic roleplaying very well in my book.

Definitely. Saga was a fun game, but the burden on the GM was absurd. Remembering hundreds of feats and force powers just to run NPCs and trying to build encounters especially after level 13, was impossible. Not to mention the CR system, which was impossible to understand. Saga books were also badly priced and had tiny print runs.

There's a lot of great content in the WEG system and Saga to bring into FFG's games, but their systems are pretty awful.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Adversary decks and new talent decks for AoR are out: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=5076

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=5074

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Arcturas posted:

What book is Marshall in?

Far Horizons, the Colonist book.

I'm gonna echo the sentiment that Droids are super fun. You have a lot more choices to specialize and FFG's Droid mechanics are the easiest ever.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

quote:

Luke: Vader... Is the dark side stronger?
Yoda: No, no, no. Quicker, easier, more seductive.

:colbert:

I don't think it is stronger in every way, but there's definitely some work to be done

alg
Mar 14, 2007

ProfessorCirno posted:

I have no idea how you could criticize using a lightsaber as being a silly crutch true masters don't use, and then bring up a fuckin' metal-rear end sword as the viable option :11tea:

The problem with making lightsabers very brawn based is that it bumps against the archtypical jedi, Luke. Luke wasn't exactly a super muscular guy. Lightsabers using Agi fit with Luke's character being basically all Will and Agility. He's not slamming it down two handed against Vader because that's just how you use a lightsaber, he's doing that because he's starting to turn to the dark side and he's unleashing his anger. In Bespin, Luke clearly isn't swinging it around like a bat, and he also does a few small acrobatics throughout the fight - certainly not Episode 1 levels, but he isn't just standing there trading blows. Now, Vader, he starts by one handing that poo poo, but turns to overwhelming Luke with sheer physical force. So hey, Brawn certainly works as an option. But making it everything or even mandatory just doesn't fit.

Like, that's the thing about mechanics - you have to look at how characters interact with them. If lightsabers use brawn, then that means jedi are all going to be big buff burly dudes. Which is a kinda hilarious mental image, but also doesn't fit in the slightest. Lightsabers are "an elegant weapon, for a more civilized age." Not just some big ol' beatstick. In fact, if you DO want to follow the original trilogy, it seems pretty clear that using Brawn is the dark sided method of Lightsaberin'.

The book, in addition to calling brawn brute force, says characters with good brawn are physically fit and hardy. Makes sense after Luke trained on Dagobah for so long running laps carrying Yoda and rocks. An attribute is what you want it to be. Having a high Brawn doesn't mean you are a massive man, necessarily.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

S.J. posted:

That's weird, because you wouldn't have to allow for very much in order to get a Luke style character. His overt use of the Force was rarely flashy, and was more narrative than anything.

Yeah I'm not sure what is preventing anyone from creating a Luke type character

alg
Mar 14, 2007

F&D update 4

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=5091

^^^ offical answer: you don't. they are purely an HP sponge. there was discussion from the designer here: http://community.fantasyflightgames.com/index.php?/topic/109944-gm-screen-squad-rules/

and on Order 66: http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/Order66/~3/Axp1zCi16GU/Episode%2037%20-%20Missing%20Drops%20while%20Dead%20in%20the%20Water.mp3

alg
Mar 14, 2007

I'm not really the best judge since I just buy everything FFG makes for the line. I guess the career books aren't for everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alg
Mar 14, 2007

FISHMANPET posted:

On the other hand, I have a friend that works for FFG so I can get the books at a discount. I may just say screw and get them all, since I'm a completionist, and it's relatively cheap for everything.

You were settin' us up for the good old humblebrag. :colbert: