Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
This is a drat sexy OP. I like the rundown of all the released books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

homullus posted:

Of course, that means alg is stuck updating it. With Force and Destiny coming out imminently, that's three product lines popping up new products.

But it's FFG, so that's, what, two book a month?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

homullus posted:

Two more times a month than most OPs need to be updated. :)

Regarding Jedi, there's of course still time for them to be different, since it actually is the beta. Personally, I like the generally-weak Jedi, because in a post-Yavin 4 campaign, most of them will be people who started out as something else. I like them still using their guns or whatever. I know it's meant as a standalone, but I think they function much better as an endgame for EotE and/or AoR.

I am also eager to see what signature abilities they come up with for Jedi (if there are any).

Yeah, it'll be a while before we see SigAbilities for them, since those come with the Career splats...but I would think those would be the perfect place to put crazy poo poo like Force Unleashed-level stunts into.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Sorry for Double Post, but this is completely unrelated to my last one.

What did we find out about the "adversary decks" or whatever they were called? When I first saw a post about them, I thought they were tagged as F&D specific, but the posted picture was a "citizens of the galaxy" deck with generic SW RPG packaging. What exactly are these?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
The Beginner Box sounds like exactly what you need. A set of dice, an intro rule book and adventure, and set of pregen characters. Lets you get a feel for the system without the $60 investment of a core book. Plus it's a dice set that you'll end up needing anyway.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
A guy on FFG's forums bought all 3 adversary decks at GenCon and posted a couple nice closeup pics:

, ,

These look drat good.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
So I had a completely impromptu live game tonight. My party consists of an ex-Imperial Commando, a crazy 5-brawn lady thug, a Han Solo-alike who literally cannot stop making wisecracks that will get him beat up, and a B1 battle droid wearing a wookiee pelt.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Drone posted:

Looks like I'm going to be GM'ing EotE for the first time this Friday for some strangers on the internet. I've never GM'd before, and really don't have any non-PbP experience in general. Anyone have any tips?

For this first session I want to run it as a group test -- testing myself as a GM, and testing the chemistry of a group of strangers on Skype -- so I want a one-off adventure. If things go well, I'll start off a campaign with the following session, allowing those who stuck around to carry their characters over. Which published module would work best for this as a one-off, or should I try to homebrew something basic in the next couple days?

Do you have either of the Beginner Boxes? They have little one-off campaigns in them and work just fine with either the pre-gen folios or created characters.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Back to droid encumbrance...it's not supported by the book itself, but I would make a case for built in items having a reduced encumbrance, much like worn armor has less than carried.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
That's a weird-rear end slate of species options...but hey, I'm cool with it. I love having options! I don't mind a bit of overlap with EotE species, but it's nice when a book is all new content.

Edit: and another badass lady on the cover. I wonder how well that's being received in the wider gaming populace...I wouldn't be surprised if there were some assholes not wanting to buy any more Star Wars products due to "too many girls" :(

jivjov fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Aug 22, 2014

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Valatar posted:

Is there anything official for having the players be Imperials? I know the military careers are easily reskinned to make a party of Imperial soldiers and pilots instead of rebels if you hand them Imperial gear and ships, but I'm a bit curious as to whether the option is ever even addressed.

Nope, the rules as written assume characters being affiliated with the Rebellion or at least on the side of good. Edge of the Empire obviously focuses on the fringe elements, so there's some grey there, but Age of Rebellion is definitely Rebel alliance specific and Force and Destiny actively penalizes dark siders.

As you said, though, its not hard at all to reskin things.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
This is more of a general GMing advice question, but its for my Star Wars game, so I'll ask it here...

My players have sort of a habit of backpedaling on plans once they find out what kind of check it will involve. Like, I'll tell my face character "Well, that's really more of a Coerce type of situation since there's a clear threat involved and you're not bullshitting him". Sometimes they'll try to flavor it a different way to justify using Deception or Charm or whatever instead, and I usually will let it slide, but sometimes its just "Oh I don't want to try that after all" or turning to another player "hey, your Coerce is way better, you take over the conversation", which feels a little metagame-y to me.

I don't want to be the rear end in a top hat GM who says "You said it, now you're stuck with it" (especially since one of the players is very very new to tabletop gaming in general), but I also don't want to encourage the behavior of always shunting responsibility for a check onto the sole person with the best stat or skill to handle it.

In the process of typing this post, I had one idea I'll throw out there...adding setback dice to social checks when mid-conversation the primary PC doing the talking switches to someone else, since they're diluting they're own stance/case/argument if they're letting someone else do the talking.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I've been trying to accomplish that by making the fail-states of various situations exciting and borderline wacky, just to demonstrate that just because you roll a failure on the check doesn't mean Zero Progress.

I've also had luck encouraging physical separation of the PCs. If one guy approaches the guard station and the other 2 are in the truck...well, looks like only one guy gets to chat!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

MartianAgitator posted:

I don't have much EU knowledge so I'm just trying to imagine a picture of this in the rule book.

My IRL group has a wholly unhealthy fascination with jizz wailers.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Well, I'm in MustacheRide's Jedi Knight-Level game, and so far it seems really good. Our party is all Jedi, so I don't have any playtest experience with mixed parties, but after reading through the book and listening to the Order 66 Podcast's chat with the game designer, I think it'll work out pretty well. Yeah, Jedi characters have access to force powers and lightsabers, but it seems pretty well balanced on the whole.

EDIT: Lightsabers in particular seem to be a sticking point for some, but said episode of Order 66 sheds some light on it. Lightsabers are a bit overpowered at character creation level, which is why they're priced too high for a starting character to acquire. FFG internal playtests discovered though that by the time 4 or 5 sessions (and the attendant XP and credit gains) had occurred, non-Saber characters had acquired enough gear and talents to offset the imbalance. Also, with the GM Kit and (presumably) other future supplements containing Saber construction rules, there's great roleplay potential for getting a saber in-game rather than at chargen.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Sep 8, 2014

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

ProfessorCirno posted:

My two main gripes are that I dislike how the lightsaber trees are set up (each career has their own one lightsaber tree and some are dramatically better then others while some don't fit the career at all), and force powers scale really, really weird and lead to a lot of narrative and mechanical dissonance (the dark side isn't just easier or faster, it's literally better and stronger in every way; some force powers are obscenely powerful; the force in general is hard to impossible to use regularly, but when you can use it, you gain Starkiller-esque power)

If you go full Dark Side, don't you start eating into your own Strain pretty hard?

Halloween Jack posted:

From both a setting and a game design POV, I'm not sure why lightsabers are always seen as this powerful ultimate weapon. I mean, it's not like blasters don't shoot wads of plasma that seem to penetrate armor pretty drat well.

I dunno about you, but I've never seen anyone use a blaster to carve through doors. And only one character that I know of deflects blaster bolts with other blaster bolts.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

alg posted:

Rebellion day was awesome :allears:

Still jealous. And mad at FFG. My FLGS signed up and just never heard anything back from FFG and never got the kit.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Word of advice to GMs...if you set a fight right outside your party's landed ship, do not be surprised when a character decides that instead of coming outside and beating people up they instead hop in the topside turret and end the fight from there.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Here's a GMing question...a lot of my players have skills/talents that let them ignore Setback dice. The problem is...a lot of checks I have scrawled down don't have a lot of Setback dice with them. I mean, sometimes I toss one in for players doing something in the dark, or trying to negotiate with the pirate leader they were shooting at last session or whatever, but I kinda feel like I'm cheating my players out of their character's potential, and it just feels cheap to say "Oh, and this has two setback" when I know full well they're just going to ignore them.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Fair enough. I let them talk their way into a Boost die on almost every single non-combat check (as long as they can justify it in the narrative), so I should throw out the Setbacks just as freely.

To all my players who are goons...expect more Setbacks! And blame Tendales for every single one!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Eh, I just let em have it because the fight was against a handful of Minions and it was cool. I just made it an appropriately ranged Gunnery shot.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

TheTofuShop posted:

My players did this as they were leaving in the initial Mission and they blew a hole in a load bearing wall and collapsed the spaceport. 3 Despair. Killed those Stormtroopers good though!

That's a whoops right there...

Finally got my F&D beta book, and even with low art, this is a drat fine publication. Why can't every RPG have art this good?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

alg posted:

edit: I think FFG has an advantage that X-Wing and the LCG also use a ton of art, and make them money. They get a lot more out of their art than most companies

They do also recycle some art for the LCG and for X-Wing. It always gives me a bit of pause when I see an LCG card that's obviously a from a book cover I'm familiar with or something.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

wiskibubbles posted:

I guess my question is this the same as the saga books or is this somewhat new ?

Yeah, its more than "somewhat" new. This uses a unique gaming system as well, its not just a Star Wars reskin of a d20 system or anything, this one uses what's known as Narrative Dice and has a three-pronged success/failure spectrum. Instead of just a pass/fail, you also look at advantage/threat and triumph/despair. It take a session or two to really feel comfortable with, but its now my favorite table-top system of all time.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

wiskibubbles posted:

Now I'm interested in the whole thing. Being a massive Star Wars Nerd since about 1995 or so all of this looks fun an now very different. Gotta find time to look at all the books and that fun and then see who plays

Come hang out in our IRC channel. #sweote on SynIRC

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
The adversary decks have actually been up for purchase off their shop for a few days now. Dunno why the official release announcement was so late...

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

BatteredFeltFedora posted:

Nah, your pet human (fellow pc if you can swing it) is a Rebel Intelligence counterspy posing as a snubfighter jock because Command has evidence of an Imp mole in the squadron. He can't fly for poo poo, but you're his robeard because otherwise they'd never let a droid fly.

This is getting shamelessly stolen for a future campaign.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Question about the lightsaber skill; back in EotE you could key Lightsaber off of either Brawl or Agility. Is that out the window with F&D?

FISHMANPET posted:

Is there anything else majorly different between the three books (also realizing that F&D is still beta). There are extra races in each book, extra careers, extra specializations, extra talents, but do skills stay the same?

The differences are all fluff, plus the Obligation/Duty/Morality mechanics. The only odd one out is AoR has a Knowledge(Warfare) skill that the other two books don't have.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

PantsOptional posted:

Lightsaber is now explicitly Brawn but there's a lightsaber combat specialization for each Characteristic that makes it use that Characteristic instead.

Hrm...well, looks like I hosed up then. Oh well.

EDIT: To elaborate, my IRL group wanted to try out the F&D rules, so we spent some time rolling up Jedi characters and I let one of my characters use Agility for Lightsaber even though he's not using one of the Lightsaber trees.

I wonder if the discrepancy will be errata'd or if that's working by design and you can still make the choice in EotE-Only games.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Sep 29, 2014

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I don't get that feel at all. Maybe once you get down some of the F&D force trees things start to feel like prequel stuff, but Edge in particular feels very much like the more pulpy-and-ever-so-slightly-gritty A New Hope adventuring.

Honestly though, it's gonna depend on the group and the adventures you put them through. My IRL group has one combat beatstick, but everyone else goes for very OT archtypes.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I could almost argue for a "Dungeon World Defy Danger"-esque houserule for Lightsaber usage, where the Characteristic it tags off of will vary based on how you narrate it. Battering through an opponent's defense? Brawn. Using Corran Horn-style dual phase trickery? Cunning.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I dunno, the way I see the setup, if you want to play a super Jedi game, you start in F&D, take a couple powers and a Jedi talent tree. If you want to play a Luke-alike, take a Colonist tree and Force Emergent. I think the way FFG has split those out is pretty elegant and ingenious.

Remember, Luke didn't start out in ANH as one of the most accomplished Force-users ever. He was a moisture farmer with a hint of precognitive talent. He went on to be a fighter pilot and developed some telekinesis. It took 3 movies for him to get to Jedi-ness. That's a whole lot of XP gains (and probably a house rule where all the XP he got from that session spent on Dagobah could only be spent on his Force trees and not on his other skills.)

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

FISHMANPET posted:

Are there any of the supplemental books that aren't good enough to bother getting? I'm stocking up and wondering if I need to get everything.

The adventure modules are fairly optional. Like all of FFG's stuff, they're gorgeous, and it's easy to cherry pick adversaries or single encounters out if you're not planning on running the entire adventure, but if you're on a budget, they'd be the ones to skip.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Valatar posted:

If for whatever reason you have a giant nerd boner for a particular career, go ahead and shell out for its splatbook, but most of them are :filez: fodder, in my opinion. They have about twenty-five pages of info that you only ever need for long enough to write down on a character sheet, like species and equipment and talents. The rest of the content is :words: that are unlikely to significantly enrich anything. Nothing in the books was content that made me think, "I should buy this book and have it handy for any game I'm playing and will definitely get thirty bucks worth of value out of it."

[Edit: Actually, the book on the Corellian sector is fairly useful, since it has setting stuff in addition to the usual handful of species and gear.]

I would highly disagree with this...the career splats have 20-30 pages of stuff that's only going to be useful for a character of a given career, but the rest of the book are pretty universally useful for GMs and players. The Explorer and Colonist books in particular have a lot of good campaign advice for running exploration-based campaigns and homesteads respectively.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
So the Week 5 update for F&D reduces the Mechanics check difficulty of modifying your own lightsaber by 2 (and you can take it all the way down to Simple, and not need to roll for it). Does this address the issues people were having with "having to be a mechanic-speced character to mess with your saber? I don't have my book in front of me, but sounds like a really nice way to handle it. You're attuned to your own weapon, so you can mess with it a lot easier, but if you tried to mod someone else's saber, you need the full mechanical ability.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I usually rule stuff like that on a situational basis. Like if a player is coercing someone via threat of force, that's willpower, but if your Wookiee gets his hands on someone and is coercing with actual application of force, I would just have him make his dice pool based on Brawn.

Edit: I would also make that ruling contingent on the player agreeing that the Wookiee is ready and willing to actually exert lots of force (up to and including/exceeding pulling arms out of sockets) in order to key off Brawn. This would lead to a LOT stiffer narrative penalties for failure and even for success (lots of generated ill will and setbacks on future checks)

jivjov fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Oct 16, 2014

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

PantsOptional posted:

Do not do this. They are godawful.

Counterpoint; the first book is a little weak, and Imperial Commando ends on a cliffhanger that will never be resolved, but the 3 in the middle are drat good examples of Star Wars novels and break out from the hyper-focus on the Jedi order and other named characters we already know everything about.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Triumphs give +1 success....but I'm almost certain they do not give +1 advantage.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Excelsiortothemax posted:

One of my players wants to play a Cathar. Are they in any of the official books yet? Otherwise I'll just use the unofficial menagerie one.

No official stats yet. I wouldn't be surprised if they show up in a Force and Destiny supplement at some point though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Doublepost, but wildly different topic:

How are people feeling about the Beta Updates to F&D? #7 added "Gain +1 of conflict at the start of the session" to anyone with the Terrify talent. I'm of two minds on it...Its a talent that VERY darkside in intent. And even if you're using it for good...you're textually SCARING THE poo poo out of NPCs. That's worth some conflict, but I dunno how I feel about gaining conflict just for having the talent at all. It feels like FFG is trying to take the line "Once you start down that dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny" and make it a rule.