Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Well, to be fair, the tree it's in is pretty conflict-heavy. And there are a couple people over on the FFG forums who say they're playing light-siders with that talent. From a a certain point of view, it makes sense; you learn how to abjectly terrify people amplified by your force powers, that's gonna be part of you. Someone equated to an alcoholic who's been sober for 25 years but still identifies as an addict and lives in constant apprehension of falling off the wagon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, we just don't know what the new species are yet. I'm surprised we didn't get that...didn't the Stay on Target announcement give us the specializations and the species?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Bedurndurn posted:

Devil's advocate: Most of the above suggestions are garbage.

Care to elaborate? I mean, obviously the specifics are up for debate, but the general concept of "tailor an event to challenge even the beefiest of soak-monsters" and "have story consequences for being a murderhobo" seem pretty good to me.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Once the holiday season is over, I plan on starting a new PbP. I work at a grocery store, so I don't want to be trying to run a game while working insane Turkey hours.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Azran posted:

Has anyone here tried to use this system with another setting? I'm not too interested in Star Wars, and I was wondering how adaptable the system was.

I've not personally tried it, but there's really nothing to the rule set that would make it hard to adapt the system. Might have to rename/tweak some of the skills, not all game are gonna need Astronavigation, for example.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Azran posted:

Yes, I was mostly wondering about magic. Something like Biotics in mass effect can easily use the same Force mechanics, but Psykers from WH40K? That is harder.

Ah I wasn't even thinking about force powers. Nobody in my IRL group uses them (yet).

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
So I'm gonna start a new PbP before too much longer...trying to decide which of the 3 systems to target it toward. I've been reading a the X-Wing series again, so Age of Rebellion is looking promising, but I also want to see what people can do with the errata'd Force and Destiny rules.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Beardless posted:

Maybe do both? basically what I'm saying is that you should steal the plot borrow some elements from the Wraith Squadron books, basically have a squadron of newbies in the New Republic era, which would give the possibility of openly force sensitive people, or even a character with at least some Jedi training a la Tyria Sarkin.

Yeah, I can get behind that. I'll work up a recruitment post in the next couple days.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Beardless posted:

Looks liek I'm gonna need to download the latest version of the character builder. I assume that it's going to be a very pilot-heavy game?

The backstory I'm crafting up in my head is basically once the Wraiths get recommissioned as an Intelligence unit, the Intelligence division sent over a handful of middling operatives that showed an aptitude for piloting. Basically a peace offering so Starfighter Command wasn't just getting cheated out of having some Intelligence/Commando trained pilots.

So basically, I'm not gonna dump the party into fighter engagements off the bat (mostly because I need to brush up on starfighter combat), but it'll be more commando focused with some vehicle appropriation and maybe one or two dudes in fighters flying cover or strafing targets to support the ground team.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Beardless posted:

Ahh. I was thinking something more along the lines of a straight fighter squadron, but that sounds cool too. Another idea would be a bunch of grizzled old vets in wishbones.

Like I'd make anyone pilot a wishbone.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Beardless posted:

Y wings are the coolest. :colbert:

I guess they are the workhorses of the rebel fleet....

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Beardless posted:

And they'd be better suited for supporting clandestine operatives. More ordnance for ground support, and having two seats gives more tactical flexibility. In that case it would make sense for the Intel types to cross-train as gunners, not pilots. That wouldn't take as long, and would allow them to focus more on their primary roles.

Edit: I'm thinking that a common tactic would be for the intel group to infiltrate and mark targets or what have youever, then have the Y-wings show up, bomb the poo poo out of whatever, land long enough for the operatives to clamber into the gunner's seats, and then away they go, ioning the pursuing TIEs on the way out.

Stop making so much sense!! This bears consideration...

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Gravy Train Robber posted:

I just got Suns of Fortune from my Secret Santa and want to play a horrible otter-person.

I quite liked the book, and its definitely boosted my interest for the next setting book on Hutt Space.

Well, if you want to app to my game, Wraith Squadron did have a history of being multi-species friendly.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

I remember reading some of the Wraith Squadron books as a kid, but honestly can't remember even the slightest detail about them. The only Rogue Squadron book I sort-of remember is Isard's Revenge.

I do fully intend to write up an app for your game though! (It may not actually be an otter)

The Wraith books featured a Gammorean, a Devaronian, and a Thakwaash (Horse-like dude with multiple personalities, each suited to a different task). Oh, and a pair of Corellian Humans, since those are a separate thing.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Beardless posted:

Also a Mon Cal briefly (RIP Jesmin), and a Twi-lek. Oh, and of course an Ewok. Who could forget the illustrious Lieutenant Kettch?

Yub yub, commander.

Man, I can't believe I forgot Jesmin and Dia. Kettch doesn't count though...he only ever flew with the Hawkbats...and all of his rolls were with assisted help from one of those Corellian Humans I mentioned (unless it was a social check via the comlink, in which case the assistance came from a regular Human code slicer).

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Beardless posted:

Also, who are the two Corellians you keep talking about? Wedge is one, but none of the other humans were Corellian.

Myn Donos was Corellian. Or at least was awarded the Bloodstrips, which I thought was reserved for Corellians.

EDIT: Yeah, Wookieepeida confirms, Myn is Corellain.

EDIT 2: Everyone knows Janson is from Taanab

jivjov fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Dec 1, 2014

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

I don't know how you guys remember all this stuff. I mean, Wookiepedia obviously helps, but still. I devoured every Star Wars EU book I could get my hands on 15+ years ago and I have almost no memories of any of them.

It helps that I've been reading the X-Wing books in bed and on my lunch breaks over the last couple weeks. I'm in the middle of Starfighters of Adumar right now. Also, the 3 Wraith Squadron books get a re-read from me every few months, they're my favorite Star Wars EU series ever. Also also, I'm a HUGE Star Wars nerd with a literal library of EU in my basement. A disproportionate amount of my brainspace is devoted to Star Wars miscellany.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Beardless posted:

The Wraiths also had a Bothan, and then during and after the Yuuzhan Vong war they had another Ddevanorian, a Wookie, a third Corellian, a fourth Corellian, and a Clawdite. Oh, and a Yuuzhan Vong. I had to check Wookiepedia for those, though I can't believe that we both forgot Grinder.

Edit: What he said. I reread the Wraith Squadron books and Starfighters of Adumar maybe once a year or so? they're good stuff.

Ahh Grinder...yeah, he didn't really do a whole lot. His pranks were about it (the whole thing with the Crystal Deceiver was great), but as "Wraith Squadron's code slicer", I remember Castin a lot more than I do Grinder.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Beardless posted:

As for a character for the game, I'm thinking a Mon Cal Ace: Pilot.

I'm debating how I want to frame it...I don't want to say "Okay, 3 people pick Pilot, and 3 pick non-Pilot" so I think I'll just take completely open applications, and structure the exact setup of ships and the like to who all ends up applying.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Beardless posted:

Yeah, I think the best solution is to let people create either a piloting-focused character or an intelligence character as they wish, and then just give the intel types a free rank in Gunnery and for the pilots, give them a free rank in one of Skullduggery, Coercion, Stealth, or Streetwise, to represent the cross-training that both groups would get. That way you don't have half of the group having more skills than the other.

I'm about to just let you write me up a setting document for the campaign, you're too good at this!

Also, I've decided how I'm gonna handle force sensitivity; if you want to be a force user, you MUST go through either Exile or Emergent, but if you want to branch from there into F&D specs and powers, I'm down with that.

Now I just need to decide how much starting XP to give. I want to go a little beyond standard chargen, but not have "high level" characters.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Preview article for Lords of Nal Hutta is up. Nothing too fancy, but some nice fluff about Hutt families, and information on playing a Hutt.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Sorry for doublepost, but recruitment for my Wraith-like Squadron game is up! Feel free to submit an app!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Darwinism posted:

How well has this game aged? I'm considering picking it up, because I am a tremendous Star Wars nerd, but I'd love a rundown on the strengths/weaknesses that people see in it.

I've had the system since the first core book hit and I still haven't gotten a firm grasp on space combat (I'm hoping to address that with my PbP).

As for positives, the narrative dice mechanics are my favorite of any dice system I've ever played with. The "funny symbols" take a session or two to fully grasp, but I would hate go back to a binary pass/fail system unless I was specifically looking for that feel.

I like the level-less progression of characters; having set tiers where you suddenly improve feels so limited compared to "just spend XP as you accumulate at, save up for big poo poo if you want"

Post release support has been amazing, the devs are pretty good about engaging fans on their forums and giving errata answers. The supplements have universally felt well worth the money (although it can understand complaints about not wanting everything to be in hardcover). There's been a good mix of pregen adventures, career expansions and setting books, and the alternating schedule of releases means that there's something new every few months.

All three core systems work independently of each other, but also can synergize near perfectly. You may end up with too much bookkeeping if you try to use all three line-exclusive mechanics all at once though, so I suggest either giving each character the one that makes sense for them, or just using one for every character in the campaign regardless of the origin of their career.

Oh, and Jedi aren't stupidly overpowered.

EDIT: and I can pretty much recommend every single supplement on the basis of the art alone. FFG has done an amazing job getting loads of unique art pieces for everything. Every species option gets a full body portrait, iconic ships get half-page pictures, every chapter has a splash page, and the art does a fantastic job of not being cheesecake. I think women outnumber men on the covers of EotE books too.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Dec 4, 2014

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, I think space combat will work a lot better with everyone in their own ships (or in pairs, as in my upcoming game). With an entire party on a Falcon-like freighter, there aren't many things for people to realistically be doing.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I think a good way to get around that at the start is to immediately award a small bounty of XP to the players post-chargen. Doesn't have to be a lot, but it helps make the players feel like their characters have some defining traits right out of the gate if they can pick up a talent or two.

Also, it usually makes thematic sense; very rarely have I played in a group that is literally the greenest of green recruits or whatever.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Covok posted:

Hey, just curious if I'm right about this. I only own Edge of the Empire, but I'm wondering if I'm wrong in thinking that EotE is about play Han and Chewbacca before Episode 4, AoR is about playing Episode 5 Lelia, Han, and Chewbacca, and F&D is about playing Episode 4 Obi Wan and Episode 5&6 Luke?

Also, how cross-compatible are these games? Like, it's mentioned they can be, but how well does it actually work out?

The exact timeframes really don't matter all that much; I mean, all the fluff is geared toward "right around the OT movies" time, but other than what government controls what planet, not much is really gonna change.

As for cross compatibility, everything works pretty much perfectly together, up to and including a mixed party of Force-users and non-Force-users. The only concern is that each game line has a unique character mechanic. (Obligation, Duty, or Morality). I recommend sticking with a single one of those, based on what the tone of your campaign is; the bookkeeping of running multiples just isn't worth it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Everblight posted:

Counterpoint: Much like every other game, don't mix wizards and non-wizards, even space wizards and space non-wizards. I would say EotE and AoR play really nice together, but leave F&D out or make an all-jedi team.

Got any reasons why? The only issue I've seen is that if you start creeping up into really high XP areas, you can have some characters with insane Force powers...but the talents and such of non-force users are pretty wild too.

Covok posted:

I meant more "in feeling" not in time frame. So, you're playing a character like Han and Chewbacca as they were in that point in their character arc in EotE, not that you're playing in pre-episode 4 time frame.

What are your feelings on the force sensitive specialization in EotE?

Ohh, yeah, EotE is the fringers and smugglers, AoR is soliders and spies, F&D is Jedi.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Covok posted:

So, does the Force Sensitive Exile only have access to the force powers in their own book or can they take from any force powers that may pop-up in other books like, presumably, AoR? If so, that wouldn't be good balance-wise.

From what I understand, as long as you have the required Force Rating, you can take any power you want, and since Exile gives you FR 1, you're golden.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Oh yeah, I think they work really well together, but for a new GM, I would recommend just rolling with one of the mechanics. If you're experienced enough as a GM to roll with having someone's Obligation and someone else's Duty trigger during the same session, then go for it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Sadly my FLGS won't be getting Stay on Target til next week. I envy those on the coast who got it already.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
So I'm starting to re-evaluate my stance on Force Powers...had an in-person game of F&D the other night...and only had one successful force power usage the entire night. None of my players took talents or Power tree nodes that allowed the rolling of Force Dice in normal checks, so it was all specific Move checks and the like...and it really feels like the game is asking you to come up with way more pips that is feasible, especially to use any kind of Range or Magnitude upgrades.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I think I wander in and post this every time a new supplement comes out...but man the art in Stay on Target is amazing. While I think I personally prefer roleplaying in the EotE side of things, I love me some pilot and ship art, which this book has tons of. Also, I think their fluff-writers are getting better and better; I'm having a great time just reading the text for Ace backgrounds and duties.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Preview article for Lords of Nal Hutta is up. I'm interested to see what they do with the modular encounters in Hutt space, as I rather liked the ones from Suns of Fortune....but on the whole, I'm not really enthused for this particular book and am instead just biding my time for Fly Casual to come out.

That being said:

That's pretty sweet.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I bought the betas of AoR and F&D both to help playtest and to support FFG. I'm really sad now that I missed out on the EotE beta, since my shelf is now incomplete without it.

I have the EotE and AoR beginner boxes, and I fully plan on getting the F&D one as well; I bought the EotE one because I wasn't quite sold on the system, and AoR to get dice. They also include a blank character sheet which would be good for photocopying without stressing the spine of the hardbacks.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

I really wish they'd release some of the supplemental stuff online, like the Rebellion Day prison break scenario.

Most of the freebie stuff has made it online; the Rebellion Day mission is a notable omission.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Need some Force and Destiny advice; I've got a couple people in my group who absolutely hate taking any Conflict at all. They'd rather whiff a force power usage than gain a point of conflict from using a single dark side pip, and get really defensive whenever I tell them to take conflict as the result of their roleplaying actions. Even after the whole "hey, at the end of the session, you roll a d10 for morality shift, so as long as your conflict is 5 or less, you still have even odds of increasing morality" conversation, things didn't change much.

If they were playing the most goody-two-shoes Jedi paragon characters, I'd get it, but they're planing fairly average joes that happen to have sabers and force powers; so it's not like they're never making any kind of grey decisions.

Any advice on getting them more comfortable with how Morality and Conflict are supposed to be working in-play?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

homullus posted:

Alternately, ask them what the deal is.

It's mostly a case of "conflict" sounding bad and scary.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Sorry for doublepost, but there's a new preview article up for Lords of Nal Hutta, detailing the Nikto, Ganks, and Sakiyans, as well as detailing some new cybernetics options. Yay cyberpunk Star Wars.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

The Gate posted:

Out of curiosity, since I don't have it, how badly are you hosed if you do use dark side powers? Is gaining dark side points or conflict or whatever based on what powers you use, or how you act? Like, if I'm a Jedi that walks around stabbing people to death with a lightsaber is that mechanically going to be as bad as force choking people to death? Or throwing rocks at them?

The powers that could really be abused by being dark side are actually rolled in with the light side versions (i.e. Heal/Harm and Protect/Unleash). Everything else, action-wise, is based off the GM assigning Conflict for morally bad actions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Have stats for the TIE Mauler ever shown up in this system yet? I have plans for a ground assault at some point in my campaign and could use some TIE tanks.

Trilas posted:

I'm going to GM this for the first time for a group who will be playing it for the first time (well, we played the EotE beginner box). I was wondering what this thread's opinions are on the published EotE adventures that are out there (especially the one that comes with the GM screen). I'm thinking of starting out with one of those to get me in to a good groove with the setting and system, then branch off from there with my own stuff. Is this a good idea, or are the pre-mades awful?

My first few sessions were run entirely off pre-made adventures...just be aware that players can and will go completely off the rails of the module, and unless you want to hard-core railroad them, you're going to have to improvise a bit.

I haven't run the GM Screen adventure, but the Beginner Box mission and the Beyond the Rim and Jewel of Yavin adventures have been hits at my table.