Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Missile tubes sound like a recipe for the least fun encounter ever. Although since he's carrying at least 16 encumbrance with a Brawn of 4, rolling 7 black dice on every gunnery check with it means he'll probably miss. The idea of a very out of breath HK droid is kind of funny though. "Question: Has anyone seen my inhaler?"

Bedurndurn fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Aug 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

LumberingTroll posted:

The only thing he is carrying is the Light repeating blaster, everything else is built-in. so no encumbrance on those.

Says who? I see absolutely nothing in the droids and equipment box on pg 47 about 'and none of your gear has encumbrance'.

He's got a missile launcher that's huge (seriously, there's a pic of a storm trooper with one from the EotE book)
with 6 missiles in it. Its encumbrance value is that of the typical Brawn 2 humanoid. You are not building that in to a humanoid robot without everyone in the world noticing the giant loving cannon sticking out of your chest.

Bedurndurn fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Aug 19, 2014

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

LumberingTroll posted:

Read the rules on creating a droid player character, parts that are "built in" do not count for carrying encumbrance.

So starting on page 45 of the EotE book and continuing through the entire section on Droids, here is every sentence that contains the word 'encumbrance'.

EotE p45-47 posted:

Here's the droids and equipment box from the bottom of p47.

EotE p47 posted:

Droid and Equipment

Droids do not typically wear clothing, and many items of equipment that organics would have to carry separately may actually be part of a droid's body. For this reason, droids are allowed to treat certain pieces of equipment differently than other characters. For example, if a droid purchases and wears armor, the player can simply say his character has upgraded armor plates on his body, or a reinforced outer covering. Likewise, he could have an upgraded verbobrain instead of a datapad, or an internal communications device instead of a comlink (although many droids do carry equipment such as datapads and comlinks).

I'm not intentionally trying to be a dick here, but unless you're looking at an different book, there's nothing in here that supports your claim.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Arcturas posted:

Ok, so generally you get a few stats to 3 and one to 2, then pick up a big pile of skills?

I'd take 5 points of extra obligation and go 432211 for stats.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

echopapa posted:

My Wookiee is a little confused as to why Coercion is based on Willpower, and I’m thinking about letting him buy a talent that would allow him to use Brawn for Coercion instead. How many XP do you guys think that talent should cost?

Because in a setting where everybody has guns, being threatened with a wedgie isn't as scary as it was in middle school? Don't get me wrong, I don't think it's a terrible talent idea, but Brawn isn't the default for a reason. As for the cost, I'd look at his current spec's talent trees and pick a 20 or 25 point node to replace with your new talent. It's likely going to shift the skill from the wookie's worst stat to his best, so it should be expensive.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

jivjov posted:

I usually rule stuff like that on a situational basis. Like if a player is coercing someone via threat of force, that's willpower, but if your Wookiee gets his hands on someone and is coercing with actual application of force, I would just have him make his dice pool based on Brawn.

I think once you've skipped to the actual violence part it, it's no longer coercion. Much as if you've already stabbed the poor guy and stated 'I'm going to continue to stab you until you give me what I want', the situation has already gone so far in one direction that a skill vs skill contest doesn't make sense anymore. Like are you going to be too weak and bad at stabbing to convince the tough guy to tell you where Big Hutty is hiding out? I think if anything the victim's Deception check makes more sense at that point. He's going to tell you something, but do you seem smart enough that he can try to sneak one by you or is he just going to cave completely?

Bedurndurn fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Oct 16, 2014

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
That's a problem that's endemic to any RPG where you can have non-combatants and very focused combatants in the same party. We ran into the same thing in our game where we had a bounty hunter, two colonists and a technician; only one of the PCs actually had access to a weapon skill in his career. The solution is to make sure that combat isn't the sole focus of the game. It's fine if murderbot murders the poo poo out of things as long as Talky McTalkerson and Hacky VonNevertouchedaboob get to spend commensurate amounts of time doing what they designed their own characters for. Thankfully combats aren't nearly as long to resolve in this system as in others, so this isn't as daunting as it would be in a more crunchy system. What are the rest of the PCs tailored to? You've only mentioned the droid and the mercenary soldier guy.

If you want specific combat tips for the droid:
  • He's a melee dude, so increase the range he has to run before he gets his chop on.
  • Have some battles where elevation matters; they may be exchanging fire at short range, but that doesn't mean that you can necessarily walk there if they're on the third floor of a building shooting from a balcony.
  • If other PCs are shooters, have a short range melee clump for the droid to blend and then throw in longer range baddies for the shooters to occupy themselves with.
  • He's got a lot of soak and wounds, but as long as you can do 1 point of damage to him, you can crit him if you've got the advantage to spend to activate it. Enough crits will take anybody down.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
Devil's advocate: Most of the above suggestions are garbage.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

jivjov posted:

Care to elaborate? I mean, obviously the specifics are up for debate, but the general concept of "tailor an event to challenge even the beefiest of soak-monsters" and "have story consequences for being a murderhobo" seem pretty good to me.

Sorry. Those despair suggestions are garbage. Also I think ship boarding by one guy against a murderbot is possibly the most favorable situation you can hand murderbot. You need more than one dude or (as you saw), he's going to get crit to hell and back. It won't necessarily be on the absolute first crit out of the gate (that was amazingly unlucky), but if there's only one dude, then he's going to get stacked on and popped pretty quickly.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
I don't think the force and non-force party is as bad as mixing combat-focused characters with non-combatants. The EotE classes are especially bad in that regard since so many of them don't even get any combat capability at all. If you combine that with an Agility of 2, you've got a character that's always going to stick out if the party's combatants are shooters or stabbers with a 4 or so in their relevant stats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
Move is kind of a terrible first force power choice; as you mention, it requires a lot of pips to get things done with that. I think Sense or Enhance are much more newbie friendly force powers. Things you can commit force dice to are much more reliable than rolling and hoping for two white pips.