Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

"The basis of the Juche Idea is that man is the master of all things and the decisive factor in everything."
- Kim Il-Sung

alg posted:

Weeeeeird. So in the Beta, there is a sidebar. It encourages a reward of 1-10 duty for achieving the goal of their Duty, with magnitude based on how much they did toward their duty. I'm still searching, but it's not in the "Using Duty" section of the GM chapter.

Yeah, they removed it after beta. I do not know why, but I only found out when I went on Google.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

"The basis of the Juche Idea is that man is the master of all things and the decisive factor in everything."
- Kim Il-Sung

Elendil004 posted:

True aim is so broken, I love it : Once per round, before the character makes a ranged attack, he may perform a True Aim maneuver. By performing this maneuver, the character gains all the benefits for aiming and also upgrades his attack roll once per rank of True Aim.

With one point it's just the best thing you can do, with two points its insane.

And what about when you get four points in it?

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

- Kim Il-Sung

MisterEff posted:

I would prefer the Lightsaber dice pool to be something like Brawn/Agility plus Force Rating. It's always struck me that Luke never has a single lesson in how to wield a lightsaber, but he's able to wound Darth Vader in Empire and even be a match for him in Return.

Except Vader was testing him in Empire, and Luke snapped at Vader in Return. He got better with a lightsaber in Returns, but he wasn't a Sonny Chiba sword master.

Also in the Original Trilogy, the Emperor saw a light saber as a child's toy and Yoda never needed the light saber. They didn't need that crutch.

So, yeah, lightsabers are cool and all but I prefer a good melee sword or blaster honestly for fighting.

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

- Kim Il-Sung

Oh ok :v: Yeah guess it doesn't work out exactly.

Anyway, can't brawn also deal with stamina too? So he may not look like the Rancor handler from Jedi but can run a mile?

Also, had there ever been anyone that just used a lightsaber as a bayonet? Attach it to a rifle and stab will probably be the safest way to not cut off your own limbs.

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

- Kim Il-Sung

PeterWeller posted:

Nah, all the weird poo poo BSG adds makes it even more Star Wars.

I really want Stormtroopers as cowboys, and a daggit too.

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

- Kim Il-Sung

alg posted:

VT-49 Decimator and Assault Gunboat are in this :)

Oh my god yes! The Assault Gunboat is in. This is great news.

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

- Kim Il-Sung

Everblight posted:

What should be in that ziggurat, and what would be the awesomest way to tell a straight-up dungeon delve story in Star Wars?

Just have them start talking about rumors about this ziggurat they each heard. One of the players can say that it can be a storehouse of all sorts of Sith Artifacts, the other can talk about all the treasures looted from core worlds, and the third can choose whatever. You have your players in a way tell you what's inside that Ziggurat. If they are all greedy, then they are going to have to outsmart 4,000+ year old computer systems and try to figure out how to work it for the fat chance of riches beyond their imagination.

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

- Kim Il-Sung

Everblight posted:

Is there a book or website that has a list of traps/puzzle ideas that function in the framework of non-binary success using the FFG dice system?

I do like the idea of their first real encounter with a force-user being an unpleasant one. I'm thinking Prometheus-style, "he wakes up and rips the head off the droid" cranky unfrozen Sith lord.

Threats and despairs sets of traps of various kinds, while advantages can be spent to negate any sort of trap activation that may have happened on a regular failure. Such as you failed your coordination check to get across without being seen by the sniper, but you didn't step on any mines, congrats!

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

- Kim Il-Sung
The Executor hypering in with Darth Vader himself because the Emperor is not going to allow any other Sith to challenge his rule.

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

- Kim Il-Sung
Isn't Jacen Solo the worst eu character though?

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

- Kim Il-Sung
Yeah, nothing absolutely changes in between the settings except Jedi are more common and stealth generators are not rare.

It'll be a fun setting for a campaign though.

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

- Kim Il-Sung
They don't have Darth Nihilus powers, right? Because that is what I immediately thought of due to their masks.

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

- Kim Il-Sung

Fuzz posted:

Who gives a gently caress what is canon or not, this is a spergy argument.

Just use whatever you like and axe whatever you think is poo poo (everything KJA ever did). Boom.

This is the correct answer. If you want to add the evil Kilrathi because your group wants to set cat people on fire. Let's do it.

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

- Kim Il-Sung

Madurai posted:

The existing crit tables are fine--just treat every weapon as having Vicious in an amount equal to however much damage penetrates defenses.

Oh man, the last session I ran was continuing a eote and f&d joint game since we couldn't do the main campaign for that day. So was total improv with the fact the players were going to be Star Wars Rogue Trader. It was spent with the downtime of me setting up encounters with reading from the critical table of Only War in homage. They also love the critical table in this game.

Also combat is legit deadly, which has me constantly tweaking encounters to avoid TPK. Still they like it especially when they use a thermal detonator to clear a room full of enemies with flame throwers or come up with other unique solutions.

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

- Kim Il-Sung

Endman posted:

Yep. But it's a kid's show, so cut them some slack.

The Empire is pretty cartoonishly evil to begin with.

"Tell us where your friends are or we'll blow up your planet, Princess!"

"They're on Dantooine."

"Blow up Alderaan anyway! Bwahahahaha!"

All I am seeing here is Tarkin being a cool villain, which is better than some of the more silly ones introduced in the EU.

Also I tend to love over the top villains like the Eaters of the Lotus from Feng Shui so that'll color my opinions.

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

- Kim Il-Sung

Fuzz posted:

My current PbP is dying a slow death due to player attrition despite me planning around a much shorter and more focused campaign. :smith: I'd like to think it's something I'm doing wrong since this is probably my 4th PbP on this forum that's met the same fate, but a lot of the others I've joined as a player have failed miserably and it just seems like barely 5% of PbPs in general even make it past one month, let alone get completed, so I'm pretty much giving up any aspirations of running my mini campaigns because it's not gonna work in that format. The days of successfully completing a PbP on SA are likely over, maybe it just has to do with the people or maybe it's just a sign of the times, gently caress if I know.

Regardless, I'd like to switch gears over to a live format, either through Hangouts or even IRC. Would anyone be interested in that sorta thing? It'd run maybe weekly or biweekly, sessions would be at least 2 hours or so, maybe longer if people are up for it, and ideally with people that won't take a full 10 minutes to type out one sentence because they're busy multitasking and are on the phone with their GIRLFRIEND, walking their dog, cooking dinner, watching a movie, AND playing a tournament game of League of Legends during the session while insisting that they're actually paying attention (you know who you are).

Probably would start with this current campaign, because I'd like to see how people like it. Anyone interested?

Sad to hear it, Fuzz. It doesn't help that some players had Acts of God happen to them so that's sad.

Anyway, I do suggest hangouts/roll20. If you want, I can help you get some of the stuff organized and show you how to get it going when you have some free time. I probably will want to play too if the schedule doesn't overlap with my own, but we'll see.

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

- Kim Il-Sung
So, anyone having fun with their players getting themselves nearly killed when it is vehicle adventure time?

I decided to plop them into the Battle of Hoth for the Imperial side as they were good friends with Veers commanding their own AT-AT. Well, the pilot went full throttle and increased the speed of the AT-AT through one of his talents to outrun all the others. He was ahead of the pack, meaning, they all were getting shot at. Then the rebels begin to tie up their legs and only survived because Veers was in range to shoot down that snowspeeder. Also, they kept getting crit and ended up having results on their tables be ones that are about shields down and such. It was very hilarious. So they finally reach the generator and destroyed it with +60 toward the Walker's crit and having less than half of the armor left. They also saved Veers too.

Then there was a session where they were getting past an enemy blockade and ended up crash landing their ship in the forest. All the players were having fun with that especially when that ship also had like, irc, a +50 on the crit table and could have exploded too.

They really, really, really like to drive and fly dangerously. Now I want to see how they'll trash a Star Destroyer under their command next.

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

- Kim Il-Sung

Endman posted:

URRRRRRRRHURHURHURHUR

I would love to run an all-Tusken game.

An epic space opera in the making. I so would play in one.

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

- Kim Il-Sung
Going to state I love the adversary cards as well. I use them for on the spot npcs, despite making stats on the fly as well. If anything else, they give a good guide line for fun encounters.

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

- Kim Il-Sung

Looselybased posted:

So is there a way to know what's at the end of your hyperspace jump? Like if a group of ships or mines are waiting at the end of a charted route? Is that something that could be sensed with a check or what?

Depends on your astrogation check in my games because what better way to use a despair to get away from one Imperial fleet, and end up meeting another Imperial fleet.

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

- Kim Il-Sung

ibntumart posted:

I love this idea, though I don't know how much help I can be till I've at least run or played the game a bit. I could always run the starter AoR adventure, I suppose... I wonder if Orokos does Star Wars dice.

Yeah, orokos does the star wars dice. Still I never did the AoR starting adventure. Is it as not fun as Arda I?

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

- Kim Il-Sung

Mendrian posted:

What is everyone's experience with Destiny Points?

I feel like they're a really cool idea but because they change hands so much and the GM is encouraged not to stockpile them, the number only really matters when there are none of one color left. Also in practice I find any time one side spends one, so does the other, and I'm curious if this is expected behavior or something that should be discouraged. Is there really any functional difference between having 5 points of Destiny in play versus 6 or 7?

Destiny points need to flow freely. You want your players to be like oh poo poo with their skill checks and use them or when the villain does his big speech revealing his plan the player is like I'll spend a point to record the entire conversation. It is basically the players being able to be a GM for a second and have fun. The number ultimately doesn't matter as long as it keeps going between the two sides, but there are certain abilities that require using more than one destiny point like the special talents for Hired Gun where you kill everyone.

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

- Kim Il-Sung

Kai Tave posted:

What's funny is that by blowing up Alderaan just to prove what an enormous dick he was, Tarkin probably did more to incite rebellion across the galaxy than any number of stirring speeches about freedom could have because if the Empire is willing to just roll into a sector and blow up the planetary equivalent of a nice upper-middle class suburban community on a whim then really, what have you got to lose by rebelling at that point? What's the Empire going to do, blow up your planet twice?

Dunno about you, but Alderaan was asking for it. Perhaps Tarkin was being a Jacobin and killing off the nobles planet.

Also if we go by the silly eu, the planet was Klendathu with a huge bug army poised to conquer the galaxy which means Palpatine did nothing wrong again.

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

- Kim Il-Sung
I'll chime in and show interest in the EU game since I work nights here in the states. Better for me to play in Europe time anyway.

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

- Kim Il-Sung

unseenlibrarian posted:

Phrik is another lightsaber resistant material- I'm not sure where it originally appeared, but Zayne in the KOTOR comics used a pair of bracers made of it to parry lightsaber hits, and apparently it got referenced in Clone Wars?

It is from the first Dark Forces game. Anyway, just make your players realize it is going to take a very long time to cut through a bulkhead. Time they may not have if they don't want to get caught.

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

- Kim Il-Sung

Galaga Galaxian posted:

If there is one thing I've learned reading all the recent comics and watching The Clone Wars and stuff, its that Sheev Palpatine loving loves his job. Dude just is totally comfortable with being an evil rear end in a top hat.

Palpatine is probably one of the few things to come out of the prequels unscathed and part of the reason is how fun he is having by hamming it up.

How can you not love the guy?

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

- Kim Il-Sung

nothing to seehere posted:

Generally, if a ship has ship for a shuttle bay, its too big it land, and if it does have a shuttle bay, it can land.

Although, it varies on the ship too. You can just say your ship is modified to aid in ground combat operations since the Victory Star Destroyer can do that and who doesn't want that fire power right close?

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

- Kim Il-Sung

homullus posted:

Maybe it's not actually an epic tragedy to have a bunch of dogmatic slavery-enablers betrayed and killed by a serial betrayer-killer.

How about it is a tragedy like Macbeth and Palpatine has no reservations in grabbing that dagger he sees floating in front of him to become Emperor.

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

- Kim Il-Sung

kingcom posted:

Maybe star wars was a mistake?

Anyway I'm playing in a star wars saga edition game as well as running an EotE game at the moment and man it makes me appreciate how much better the EotE rules are.

Wasn't SAGA a go between 3.5 and 4th edition of d&d? All I remember is that you had to multiclass as Jedi to be good or something.

Not Keyser Soze posted:

@swrpgadventures adventure ideas in 140 characters or less!

Our heroes have successfully infiltrated a famous academy but to maintain their cover they have to debate the ranking Imperial scholar on the ethics of the Jedi order

1. During the Old Republic days, the party is a group of Communist Abolitionists looking to overthrow the Republic and set up a Communist paradise.

2. Saints Row and Star Wars.

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

- Kim Il-Sung
Yeah, WEG stuff is legit cool and some of the fluff they wrote I actually put into my games.

Also, Imperial Lawrence of Arabia:

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

- Kim Il-Sung

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Requesting some advice on character building for a Rebels-era game, supposedly starting at Knight-level XP.

The basic idea is an older former Jedi who, while not quite renouncing the Order, felt like Jedi shouldn't be fighting a war. So as soon as he was made a Knight during the Clone Wars, exercised the Right of Denial, turned in his lightsaber, and went to go work with the AgriCorps settling a frontier world. Immediately after the knighting ceremony. Annoyed the hell out of his master.

Order 66, he goes underground, fuzzed out his connection to the Force as best he could, and has been a nerf herder ever since. Like, actually herding nerfs. I have this mental picture of him as a ranch owner, taking in troubled young folks and helping them get themselves sorted out until they're squared away enough to move on with their lives.

Anyway, Empire trouble happens, and he gets sucked into the campaign and taking up the mantle of a Jedi once again.

So I'm looking for two pieces of advice.

1) How to make him seem less derivative of Kanan Jarrus and Ahsoka Tano.

2) How to build him career/specialty wise. The suggestion has been made to go Consular/Niman Disciple picking up Beast Rider and focusing more on the latter set of skills, going back into ND as the game progresses. But I'm wondering if Seeker/Pathfinder might not be a better starting point, going into a lightsaber form later. Also looking for build synergies that work with the concept.

Any thoughts? Or have I just found an insanely complex concept that can't be modeled right off?

I don't have the book on me now but here it is off the top of my head.

If your GM allows EotE careers, here is what I would suggest: I would pick something from Edge of the Empire for your main farming stuff, like colonist, then take force sensitive exile. Your GM should allow you to take up F&D specializations as you start to get back into it as the campaign progresses.

You have the ability to work with the force but you left it behind and instead tried becoming a farmer until life called you back.

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

- Kim Il-Sung

Halloween Jack posted:

I hereby invent the hateful 8th form of lightsaber combat, it combines all the other forms and is the best and knows all the martial arts and it can never die. Only Jacen Solo knows it. (I don't know who that is; my little brother invented him and that's how he spells it.)

So is this the kaioken of lightsaber styles then?

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

- Kim Il-Sung
You can also give them the Imperial Valor talent that lets them grab a minion and throw them into your player's attack. You know, the most hilariously visual thing. Guy notices you are about to hit him with your deadliest lightsaber move and he grabs a stormtrooper for him to block the hit!

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

- Kim Il-Sung

Fuzz posted:

I saw The Film.

It was okay. About what I expected from a hack like JJ Abrams.

It wasn't a terrible 4th Star Wars movie, but it still can't hold a candle to the other 3, especially ANH which it essentially aped shamelessly at every turn.

Still, could have been a lot worse.

Yeah, I mean, it could have been worse. Imagine him getting his truther friend Bob Orci to write it like they did with Star Trek Into Darkness and turning it into a Bush did 9/11 movie.

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

- Kim Il-Sung

Yvonmukluk posted:

Just stick to stuff from the Clone Wars series, since that's a nice filtering of Lucas' good concepts & ideas through other people into something most people agree is good.

If you want to bring in trade disputes or godawful 'romance' subplots, though, you are beyond all salvation.

Yeah, weren't the Clone Trooper episodes in Clone Wars like one of the better episodes in that series in comparison to the Jedi?

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

- Kim Il-Sung

FuriousAngle posted:

It'd be like if Cthulhu were beat-able. Then you'd get a group of cocky players who weren't afraid of anything. If they beat Vader, and I mean OBVIOUSLY beat not just hold their own until he gets bored and wanders off, then they're no longer dealing with Darth Vader in their minds- it's Chad Vader.

Actually, it just means you got Old Man Henderson to do something completely crazy and awesome.

But yeah, if I recall correctly, once you reach around ~10 contribution rank, you should be meriting the attention of Lord Vader and Palpy himself in terms of being that effective of an asset to the Rebellion and start getting scared when that new Imperial vessel chasing your fleet is the Executor.

Anyone else imagine a fight with Palpy being something akin to the X-men fighting Magneto in Wolverine and the X-Men when they went to his fortress in Genosha?

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

- Kim Il-Sung
You know, when I see someone wanting to run an Imperial campaign, I just see it as someone wanting to run as tactical operators with the big toys instead of roleplaying the Ostfront.

How about something fun instead like a game where you are a bunch of working class stiffs from Nar Shaddaa who watch all those news stories of Bounty Hunters and decide to start a reality tv show. You get one of your friends to be the actual Bounty Hunter, without any experience at all, because he can look and talk to the camera and start doing jobs. Hilarity ensues when you guys mess up and scramble to save the lovely camcorder device you spend your hard earned credits on as you are all live and see how bounty hunting isn't easy?

I really want to get that Bounty Hunter sourcebook when it gets out.

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

- Kim Il-Sung
Well, I am excited to get back to this system. Players voted for Edge of the Empire and we'll be having a session zero. I think two of them indicated they wanted to be droids so it'll be interesting to see how the party composition goes.

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

- Kim Il-Sung
I just gotten a few sessions into playing the Star Wars FFG RPG system again and I have to say I am still in love with it. It has been about two years since I last ran it. Running an Edge of the Empire and so far the players have been having lots of fun. Last session I threw the one player's obligation of looking to get back at a smuggler rival by having him steal a gift, a person encased in carbonite from around 4k years ago, he was giving to a local crime lord.

Suffice to say, they found out the local crime lord was Ex-New Republic Special Forces which was way over their head and the 40+ year old B1 Battledroid player decided in a panic to thaw out the person and rush out. He couldn't carry it by himself and was having a hard time putting it on a repulsorlift flatbed. The ensuing chase was great with them panicking trying to find a way out of the underhive of Nar Shaddaa and get back to their ship. They just limped back to Rishi where the local planetary authority figure was going to impound the ship since it was something he wanted, but the party decided to try and hack his records to make it appear to be an Imperial Black Ops vessel and ensure he doesn't mess with them. He was very pale and informed them that they are free to use the facilities services and that everything will be comped on him.

God, this game is amazing to run and these players are new to it so they are enjoying something that isn't D&D.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

- Kim Il-Sung

RudeCat posted:

Are squads in the Commander book?

Should be in that but first time I remembered looking up was in AOR GM Screen.