Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Does anyone know of a good resource for vehicle plan views that would work as tokens to show direction and orientation in roll20?

There's some good ones on this site, but it's missing some pretty basic staples like Rebel starfighters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

That's great! Thanks!

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

I'm trying something similar with my group. The last game we played was a railroad through the GM's Dead Space / Mass Effect crossover fanfiction until he got bored, so we're trying an experiment where between sessions I'll generate a random quest with an objective and a few NPC's, then flavor it to make it a sensible followup to the events of the previous sessions. It's a good change of pace so far.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

I'm going to be putting it to use for the first time this weekend, but I took a few days and scoured the movie soundtracks for recurring themes, then clipped out a few variations to play at various points during the game.

For example, I have some versions of the Force theme to play any time someone uses a Destiny point, and a player attempting to flirt with an NPC might hear Han & Leia's theme (if they're successful - threat triggers Jar Jar's theme).

It might end up being too labor intensive to be worthwhile, but the music in the movies is so context and theme heavy thay I thought it would be interesting to try going in that direction rather than just having looping ambience.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Not Keyser Soze posted:

I definitely recommend reaching into the Force Awakens and Rogue One soundtracks as they both have that Star Wars "sound" without the familiar leitmotifs that players like to instantly point out.

EA's Battlefront is also good for this, since it was composed to sound like generic John Williams B--sides.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

The Jedi Knight series just used chopped up sections of the OT soundtracks, but Shadows of the Empire had an album done by Joel McNeely that's got some good stuff in it.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Ah yeah, that's true - looking it up, the MIDI sounds a lot more passable than I remember the music in that game being.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Spy sourcebook announced.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Covok posted:

tl;dr: Today on Weik: in the attempt to remove a stick from a shop, my players overthrew a sovereign government

I love when things get out of hand like this. My players recently had a mission to rescue a child from the anchorite orphanage on Jakku and ended up accidentally activating Palpatine's contingency and blowing the whole planet up.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Dawn of Rebellion sourcebook announced.

I haven't been following the game for too long, but it seems like they're announcing these more frequently.

Robot Style fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jul 11, 2017

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Unless they just want to reintroduce things like ships, weapons and species, I would guess that anything after ROTJ is probably out for FFG. They've used stuff from the Legends canon before, but the TFA beginner game sort of obliterates that end of the timeline unless they want to have portions of their own setting be non-canon.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Does anyone have any suggestions for weird, dangerous things that could be lurking in the Unknown Regions? One of my players has been offered an ongoing job of uncovering the nature of the mysterious threat that Thrawn joined the Empire to defeat, but I haven't decided what that should be yet (I don't really want to introduce the Yuuzhan Vong or whatever Snoke stuff they're hinting at now).

Maybe something anti-climactic like Waru, or even some sort of impending environmental disaster without actual malicious intent?

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

That also sets up an interesting alternate origin for the World Devastators, if the Empire managed to defeat the thing and reverse engineer its munching mechanism.

Maybe the thing could be an Abominor, following Zonama Sekot across dark space and trying to devour it specifically.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Drone posted:

But wasn't the threat that Thrawn joined the Empire to defeat actually the Yuuzhan Vong?

I've not kept up on NewCanon at all, have they gone into Thrawn's backstory and revised it yet, or did they just toss the Legends fan a bone by including Thrawn in Rebels with minimal backstory?

I haven't read the book, but apparently the Thrawn novel establishes that there's something spooky in the Unknown Regions that Thrawn is trying to fight. Instead of the Vong, the new canon had been hinting that it's the source of the Dark Side. The Empire heads out to find it after they're defeated at Jakku, and reappears a little while later led by Snoke.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Covok posted:

I mean, it's probably not literally going to be that. It's more likely that Snoke was just so strong in the Dark Side that he was blipping on their radar like crazy and they felt they hit the motherlode.

Yeah, the mentions of it are pretty "I know a guy who knows a guy who thinks this".

Star Wars: Aftermath posted:

“No Sith remain,” Tashu says. “And the lone Jedi that exists—the son of Anakin Skywalker —possesses an untouchable soul. At least for now. We must instead move toward the dark side. Palpatine felt that the universe beyond the edges of our maps was where his power came from. Over the many years he, with our aid, sent men and women beyond known space. They built labs and communication stations on distant moons, asteroids, out there in the wilds. We must follow them. Retreat from the galaxy. Go out beyond the veil of stars. We must seek the source of the dark side like a man looking for a wellspring of water.”

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

None of my players are really skilled at mechanics, so sometimes I'll let them use other skills to craft, as a way to generate unique loot for them.
For example, one of my players was able to use brawl to "craft" some unique brass knuckles for himself by winning them in a boxing competition.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

ShineDog posted:

Does it change enough to kind of be a 2nd ed?

Yes and no - the changes to the talent system probably wouldn't be compatible with the Star Wars games as is, but there's additional rules for social encounters and specific tones, like permanent mental trauma for spectacularly failing a fear check, or spending all the PC's destiny points to resolve a cliffhanger.

There's also a new desire/fear/strength/flaw system that replaces morality, duty, and obligation.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Mechanically, the games play pretty much identically. As the name would imply, Genesys is a generic version of the Star Wars RPG system, so the differences are mainly geared towards making things more open and flexible. Rather than having specializations, talents are tiered, and available to anyone. Magic is a group of skills rather than using separate Force dice, and player characters are given specific flaws and desires rather than obligation/duty/morality.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

My players are coming up on the end of their current campaign, which started with them as lowly Rebel agents, and is ending up 1000+ XP later with them having travelled through time to just after Episode 1 with the intention of taking out Palpatine before he can become the Emperor.

They're pretty likely to be able to pull it off, and we've more or less decided that if they do, our next campaign would be a Sequel Trilogy of sorts, with new characters living in the galaxy the first campaign created.

So my question is does anyone have any thoughrs about what would the galaxy look like 30 years after Episode 1 if Palpatine was exposed shortly after the invasion of Naboo?

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

That's kind of what I was thinking. Something like the Clone War would still happen, but without someone pulling the strings on both sides to declare himself the winner, it just keeps lumbering on until the weight of it brings the galaxy down.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

If you're trying to rebuild characters from another system, Genesys might be the way to go. Whereas Star Wars uses careers and specializations to determine your character's talents (which may not line up 100% with your existing characters), Genesys uses a pyramidal point-buy system that allows you to take any group of talents you want.

Also, as has been previously mentioned, magic and the Force operate completely differently between the two systems.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Since the Imperials doing the mining are planning to use it against Vader specifically, there might be an opportunity to have the Empire turn against itself. A few options could be:
  • Vader finds out about the mine, then destroys it out of spite and kills everyone there (giving your Rebels a chance to try to survive the escape).
  • Information about the mine is leaked and the Imperial bureaucracy declares it to be a waste of resources due to a lack of Jedi to use it against. They order all personnel to be transferred to a different mine supplying resources for [insert superweapon].
  • A shady mining guild foreman finds out the Empire isn't following proper sub-contracting protocol and helps the Rebels attack the mine.
  • Unrefined cortosis is extremely hazardous to the touch, and mining often leaves pockets of highly combustible gas. Rather than attacking the mine directly, the rebels could hijack a shipment of top-of-the-line equipment, forcing the Empire to use inferior equipment (possibly provided by a shady mining guild foreman) that malfunctions and triggers a contamination breach or gas explosion.
  • The planet's subjugated inhabitants are being used for slave labor, and have a method of suppressing the hazardous effects of Cortosis, which also eliminates its unique properties. The rebels could use this to make the mine useless without destroying it.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I wonder if they'll be able to (if even interested) publish the books in PDF format now.

Someone asked them about it on Facebook and they said it's "not possible".

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Elendil004 posted:

I personally go either all force users or no force users, a mix just means one side is left out when the other is doing cool poo poo. YMMV and if you can pull it off go for it but I recommend against it.

I've had good experience with mixed groups, but those are usually games where the characters don't initially know they're Force Sensitive or pick it up later on. That way it becomes an addition to the existing character and story dynamics rather than starting with a group where some are saying "I want to do Jedi stuff" and others are saying "I want to be gay and do crime".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Owlbear Camus posted:

It's a shame because there's definitely a The Dark Times sourcebook to be made expanding on the material from Andor and Obi Wan and a New Republic one in BobF and Mando.

I'm surprised that there's an Abednedo player character in the TFA Beginner Game, but the species itself has never actually been implemented.